Author Topic: Movie Appreciation Thread  (Read 2659 times)

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
Movie Appreciation Thread
« on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 15:45:35 »
What are some of the best movies you've seen recently?

I recently watched Underground: The Julian Assange story and quite liked it.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: Movie Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 16:34:00 »
I watched the two Kingsman movies over the weekend. Went in with zero expectations and loved the first one. Really caught me by surprise- characters were likable, plot was engaging if not a bit silly, and the action scenes were on-point. For some reason it reminded me of an adult Spy Kids movie.

The second one was not as good.

Also watched Guardians vol.2 and while I enjoyed some of it, there was way too much CG and the soundtrack was pretty distraction at times. They really went overboard with the music. There were a couple scenes of non-action dialogue that I had trouble hearing because some idiot decided to edit loud ass music over the entire scene. And with this movie in particular, you can really tell almost everything was CG. Everything looks fake and clean, I really miss the days of physical props and sets because imo we are still not quite there with movie CG to replace practical effects.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 16:41:55 »

the soundtrack was pretty distraction at times.

There were a couple scenes of non-action dialogue that I had trouble hearing because some idiot decided to edit loud ass music over the entire scene.

The music was truly an abomination there. It was about as insensitive a job building the audio score as I have ever heard.

The movie was OK while I was watching it (with my kids, of course) but afterwards, the more I thought about it the more lame it became.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 08:41:58 »
Can't believe I forgot to mention it... the new Blade Runner.

I can imagine that some die-hard fan is going to barge in here and tell me that nothing will compare to the original. But, I found the soundtrack complemented the visuals well, and the plot really answered a lot that the first left open-ended. My one biggest complaint is that we didn't get enough of the grime in terms of the set as the original. Either way, absolutely loved it, despite its box office flop.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 31 December 2018, 23:36:52 »
I just watched Aquaman and I thought that it was really good.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 31 December 2018, 23:41:46 »
Controversial opinion - I actually had fun with Justice League, and liked it better than Wonder Woman.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 31 December 2018, 23:47:43 »
Controversial opinion - I actually had fun with Justice League, and liked it better than Wonder Woman.

I have not seen Wonder Woman but I did think Justice League was good. Aquaman was just more rounded IMO.

My biggest gripe is that the music was all over the place. I feel like they should have gone with one "style".

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 09:03:56 »

My biggest gripe is that the music was all over the place.

I think that there is getting to be way too much music in movies and TV nowadays. It's as if somebody thinks that there always needs to be something playing, and even using song lyrics to explain or move the plot line.

Music is far more interesting and effective when it is "incidental" rather than a constant background irritant.

"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 09:34:43 »
Can't believe I forgot to mention it... the new Blade Runner.

I can imagine that some die-hard fan is going to barge in here and tell me that nothing will compare to the original. But, I found the soundtrack complemented the visuals well, and the plot really answered a lot that the first left open-ended. My one biggest complaint is that we didn't get enough of the grime in terms of the set as the original. Either way, absolutely loved it, despite its box office flop.

Was bored by both the Original, AND the Remake..

Ahead of its time, but in totality, rather watch Avengers.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 09:36:21 »

I have not seen Wonder Woman but I did think Justice League was good. Aquaman was just more rounded IMO.

My biggest gripe is that the music was all over the place. I feel like they should have gone with one "style".

Wonder woman had Gal Gadot..

Terrible movie.. but Gal Gadot..

In contrast, Justice League was ALSO a terrible movie.

It however, had fewer Gal Gadot scenes..

Therefore, it was a far WORSE movie than Wonder Woman.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 09:37:46 »
What are some of the best movies you've seen recently?

I recently watched Underground: The Julian Assange story and quite liked it.

The new Dynasties  BBC Documentary is fantastic..

Looks like they got all new cameras this time around.. Every scene (now in 4K) is just Awesome.. !!