Author Topic: [IC] GMK Carbon R2  (Read 158182 times)

Offline Wetherbee

Re: [IC] GMK Carbon R2
« Reply #350 on: Wed, 25 July 2018, 06:31:30 »
The only issue I see is the lack of orange F1-F4 and F8-F12 Alphas to match the Beezarre kit, which you can overcome by using the Warning Signs (Function Row) kit, but for folks that want a bright orange kit that for some Beezarre reason doesn't use warning signs, perhaps those keys should be included.

The Boneyard Alphas have a similar problem but it is solved by picking up both the Ivory Mods and the Bone Base kit to get the proper F-row. Expensive but do-able.

In general I usually prefer that all Alpha-kits include their matching F-row cousins for proper mixing and matching. :)

Sorry I had to rewrite my post to make it clearer.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 July 2018, 07:02:55 by Wetherbee »

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #351 on: Wed, 25 July 2018, 06:58:41 »
The bone base kit is textbook perfect. I wish Oblotzky would do the same thing with his F row on GMK Space Cadet (with the alternating colors on the F-row).

However, this falls apart with the alternate Alpha kits because they are both missing F1-F4 and F9-F12 so it doesn't look right on a TKL. :(

No matter which kit I match Beezarre or Boneyard alphas with, the F row colors doen't alternate correctly to my eyes.

Base kits are really both top drawer endgame cap sets! I only wish the Alpha kits included the alpha-colored F keys.

That said, what saves these alpha kits is the Warning Signs and Rolling Bones kits, which if used in place of the F row enables you to set up the colors correctly by alternating them. Brilliant!

Your arguments do make sense and i will look into it.

The Bone base has less keys than Carbon base and i might add some accent keys to it like F1-F4 and F9-F12 keys in mod color. This would make it look right with Boneyard alphas.
Beezarre alphas on the other hand are destined logically for Carbon base and supporting it with Bone base is not possible.

I will not make any updates for now since i need to get look into possible price listing for base sets. After that i will announce if vintage rows in base sets are going to be a real thing.

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #352 on: Wed, 25 July 2018, 07:01:41 »
Oops. I had to rewrite my post to make it clearer as I made a few mistakes (Rolling Bones doesn't work on the R0 F-row and I figured out how to get the F-keys for Boneyard Alphas by combining multiple kits).

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #353 on: Wed, 25 July 2018, 07:05:47 »
Beezarre alphas on the other hand are destined logically for Carbon base and supporting it with Bone base is not possible.

I see what you are saying, but overlaying Beezarre on the Carbon Base looks a little odd without the alpha-colored F1-F4 and F8-F12 since those keys remain mod colored. Actually it causes the whole top row to look Beezarre!
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 July 2018, 07:08:06 by Wetherbee »

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #354 on: Wed, 25 July 2018, 07:12:36 »
Oops. I had to rewrite my post to make it clearer as I made a few mistakes (Rolling Bones doesn't work on the R0 F-row and I figured out how to get the F-keys for Boneyard Alphas by combining multiple kits).

Rolling Bones is also not designed to replace F row. Its supposed to be placed on number row and thus it does also not replace the number row fully.

I see what you are saying, but overlaying Beezarre on the Carbon Base looks a little odd without the alpha-colored F1-F4 and F8-F12 since those keys remain mod colored. Looks Beezarre!

Well probably the better solution is to add those keys to the optional alphas. But as i said i will look into it.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #355 on: Wed, 25 July 2018, 09:11:13 »
I think users are entitled to know why several designers are deciding to ignore a specific community user-base, especially when tombr3y brought it up first, whether it's addressed in this thread or a different one, it should still be addressed.

You're absolutely not entitled to knowing why they choose to not include x or y key in their set(s). I'm not saying transparency is a bad thing, I'm just saying they can do what they like with their set without having to justify every choice in key to potential buyers or community members in general.

LOL

Offline keebweeb

« Reply #356 on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 09:55:25 »
Super excited for this, especially with the full R0-R5 coverage, mod colored F-row, and "bone" kits.

Offline Kunkka

« Reply #357 on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 23:36:25 »
Any chance on 3u spacebar mold? All uncoming keycaps will benefit from it.

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #358 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 00:07:37 »

wut
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #359 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 09:45:20 »
I'm pretty sure the only board that even uses a 3u is a Manila? or I guess if you do weird 2 x 3u stuff for spacebars, idk. either way not worth adding that imo

Offline Remsky

• Lubed switch count > Puddsy post count
« Reply #360 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 13:30:32 »
I'm pretty sure the only board that even uses a 3u is a Manila? or I guess if you do weird 2 x 3u stuff for spacebars, idk. either way not worth adding that imo
But chyna uses it, so you gotta include it for the biggest audience :wegif:
TGR Jane v2 - GSKT00(coming) - TGR Jane CE V2 - TGR Poly alice - LZ Physix - Matrix 8XV 2.0 - RS - LZ FE - Dalco 959 Mini GT edition (coming) - Mc65 - Hiney TKL one - HHKB Pro 1 - 25th anniversary edition HHKB pro Hybrid - 30th anniversary Filco 2S keyboard

Offline redleaf

« Reply #361 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 16:01:05 »
I thought the cod67 can use a 3u space.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #362 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 16:40:51 »
I can understand that 3u spacebar is needed but GMK Carbon will introduce 2.25u and 2.75u convex keys and by that the limit of new molds is already reached (not counting row5 1.25u key). The 2.25u and 2.75u spacebars have right now bigger demand.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 July 2018, 17:47:08 by T0mb3ry »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #363 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 17:54:49 »
I can understand that 3u spacebar is needed but GMK Carbon will introduce 2.25u and 2.75u convex keys and by that the limit of new molds is already reached (not counting row5 1.25u key). The 2.25u and 2.75u spacebars have right now bigger demand.

Good choice. 2.25u and 2.75u are in demand at the moment. It is doubful that a 3u space bar may have some.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #364 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 17:59:43 »
I'd personally love 3.5u, but it's difficult to get a mold made since only one keyboard has it, and they're very rare. Perfect if you want to split a 7u :p

It's difficult to create demand for a size when it's impossible to make custom keycaps (unlike the Manila, as the manufacturer is able to).

Offline bobdenard

« Reply #365 on: Sat, 28 July 2018, 16:43:46 »
I may have missed it but I would love some 1.25u arrows (icon or text) as in the exotic SA kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Atredl

« Reply #366 on: Sat, 28 July 2018, 19:03:26 »
I’m not able to pass this up but that means I won’t be able to keep TA 90! Why do you do this to me Tomb3ry?!

Offline Sonikbotnik

• Formerly zorodude
« Reply #367 on: Sun, 29 July 2018, 20:07:03 »
Any chance you can merge the Half-Life Lambda kit into the primary Novelties kit? I loved half-life, but I'd be totally happy being limited to a couple R0, R1, R5 options if it came in that sweet novelties set.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #368 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 15:10:04 »
Any chance you can merge the Half-Life Lambda kit into the primary Novelties kit? I loved half-life, but I'd be totally happy being limited to a couple R0, R1, R5 options if it came in that sweet novelties set.

Sorry but this is not possible. I've got permission from valve to offer this half-life lambda once a year and that explains the bottom trademark text. I can offer these only as separate kit.

I’m not able to pass this up but that means I won’t be able to keep TA 90! Why do you do this to me Tomb3ry?!

Keep in mind GMK Carbon will happen probably in Q4 and you got plenty of time. I suggest not to miss TA 90. In my imagination the colors are top notch and you will most probably regret it. And where is also GMK Space Cadet...... I personaly cant miss those sets. I dont have even boards for these.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #369 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 15:47:44 »
I'm sorry luv but I will miss TA :P Not my cup of tea :P

Offline equalunique

« Reply #370 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 12:20:07 »
I would like reverse-color alphas (tan on grey) & a planck set.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #371 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 12:41:52 »

Reverse color on this is a must have!

Offline equalunique

« Reply #372 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 12:54:02 »

Reverse color on this is a must have!

Glad it's not just me who agrees! You can also find grey on orange Carbon-themed sets on AliExpress. Personally I still favor tan on grey reverse-color, but it goes to show there are a lot of popular aspects to Carbon.

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #373 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 12:57:36 »

Already done

Offline equalunique

« Reply #374 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 13:18:08 »

Already done

Show Image

Thank you so much & apologies for missing this one. My corporate firewall blocks imgur so I was only going off the sets that were listed in the main post.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #375 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 16:31:28 »

While 3.00U and 3.25U, as well as 4.00U spacebars are used on keyboards such as the Mistel Barocco, and the Minila, these keys would be really expensive to make. 2.25U and 2.75U are a safer bet for GMK, and at the moment there are a reasonable number of custom keybaords that use them.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #376 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 17:03:58 »
Some update on Deskmats.

Novelkeys received first samples which are shown below. As you can see some color are off and these will be matched later. Tho the gradient is kind of worrying for me personaly but i need to see one sample in person. I will then see if its needs to be redesigned or i could work around to get it smoother (as you can see other gradients are nice and smooth).

Offline SBN

« Reply #377 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 17:41:24 »
Some update on Deskmats.

Novelkeys received first samples which are shown below. As you can see some color are off and these will be matched later. Tho the gradient is kind of worrying for me personaly but i need to see one sample in person. I will then see if its needs to be redesigned or i could work around to get it smoother (as you can see other gradients are nice and smooth).

Deskmats! Nice!

Offline Corgiattackkk

« Reply #378 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 20:06:39 »
Thanks for posting pics of the deskmats! Agreed, the gradients around the center does look like it could be a little smoother. Otherwise, super stoked and can't wait to see continued updates.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #379 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 17:04:09 »
 ;D
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 August 2018, 17:32:44 by MikeTheTiger »

Offline Atredl

[IC] GMK Carbon R2
« Reply #380 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 17:31:19 »
Has the idea of modifying the novelty C key been brought up? Moving the C to the top left instead of center would match the rest of the alphas. It could look similar to the table below with the atomic and mass numbers on the right instead of the left.

I know SA Carbon had a centered C but the rest of the alphas were also centered so it matched. I think it would look pretty out of place and break up the GMK look if it was the same.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 August 2018, 17:39:48 by Atredl »

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #381 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 17:35:41 »
Has the idea of modifying the novelty C key been brought up? Moving the C to the top left instead of center would match the rest of the alphas. It could look similar to the table below with the atomic and mass numbers on the right instead of the left.

I know SA Carbon had a centered C but the rest of the alphas were also centered so it matched. I think it would look pretty out of place and break up the GMK look if it was centered.
I'm inclined to agree with this. Good suggestion

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #382 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 17:43:24 »

I know SA Carbon had a centered C but the rest of the alphas were also centered so it matched. I think it would look pretty out of place and break up the GMK look if it was centered.

Yeah the centered C is my issue with that novelty. I was looking for similar format but i couldn't find one. Anyway i will look into this format. If i go straight after the format of that table, then the C goes into bottom left corner and the atomic and mass numbers go in their top corners. Keep in mind i have to follow scientific standards for that specific novelty. Say i cant move the notation as i like in order to make it look better.

Anyway i appreciate your suggestion ;)
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 August 2018, 17:45:33 by T0mb3ry »

Offline Atredl

« Reply #383 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 17:53:12 »

Yeah the centered C is my issue with that novelty. I was looking for similar format but i couldn't find one. Anyway i will look into this format. If i go straight after the format of that table, then the C goes into bottom left corner and the atomic and mass numbers go in their top corners. Keep in mind i have to follow scientific standards for that specific novelty. Say i cant move the notation as i like in order to make it look better.

Anyway i appreciate your suggestion ;)
I think I have a periodic table for a previous class that has the letter at the top right. Let me see if I can find it to post here.

As a Materials Science guy who doesn’t like SA profile, I’ve been waiting for a GMK Carbon that includes that C key. Gotta make sure it comes out right.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #384 on: Fri, 03 August 2018, 01:04:48 »
I found a periodic table with C in the top left (here is the source):

Based on another website that led me to the table above, it seems there is no hard and fast standard.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #385 on: Fri, 03 August 2018, 02:11:41 »
[ Specified attachment is not available ]Like I said, I would differentiate the keys circled in blue and green. Having to identical keys is an absolute nightmare.

Adding F1-F4 and F9-F12 in my opinion would be necessary for an alpha set, otherwise you have a non standard colorscheme, which hurts my eyes a lot, just imagine having beige Function Keys and grey alphas. Horrible. Remember that a single 1u key costs less than 0.5 USD, so the total would be 4 usd, which is very small money considering how much good it's adding to your 60 USD alphas set.

201307-1

201312-2
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 August 2018, 02:14:18 by Giorgio »

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #386 on: Fri, 03 August 2018, 17:06:25 »
Cant wait, cant wait.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #387 on: Sat, 04 August 2018, 22:43:18 »
I found a periodic table with C in the top left (here is the source):

Show Image

Based on another website that led me to the table above, it seems there is no hard and fast standard.
In chemistry, elements are conventionally always written with the mass number as the left superscript and the atomic number as the left subscript of the element symbol. I believe this is a IUPAC standard. Periodic tables can do it however they like because they don't follow formal notation, but rather just list some of the elements' properties in an arbitrary layout. I wouldn't use any particular periodic table as a definitive reference.

Either have the legend be a proper chemical symbol, or forget about correctness and print it however looks best.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #388 on: Sun, 05 August 2018, 06:51:29 »
Ok it seems like you can use any notation for periodic table as long you provide some format description for it. But indeed there is only one unified standard notation which is used for current Carbon Element novelty.

However the standard notation does not work well with cherry profile alignments. In this case i want to suggest slightly different notation format. Since that novelty is truly for people who has some knowledge in chemistry, i think it will be easy for them to recognize the notation format.

Offline bobdenard

« Reply #389 on: Sun, 05 August 2018, 07:30:44 »
I dig it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #390 on: Sun, 05 August 2018, 11:41:11 »
Ok it seems like you can use any notation for periodic table as long you provide some format description for it. But indeed there is only one unified standard notation which is used for current Carbon Element novelty.

However the standard notation does not work well with cherry profile alignments. In this case i want to suggest slightly different notation format. Since that novelty is truly for people who has some knowledge in chemistry, i think it will be easy for them to recognize the notation format.
Show Image

Note that using a comma versus a dot for the decimal in the mass depends on country; both are correct.  I'd say the best choice depends on the location of the majority of your target customers.  See this Wikipedia entry for details including a map.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #391 on: Sun, 05 August 2018, 12:00:49 »

Show Image

Note that using a comma versus a dot for the decimal in the mass depends on country; both are correct.  I'd say the best choice depends on the location of the majority of your target customers.  See this Wikipedia entry for details including a map.

You know i am european and that explains why that scetch has comma. Tho i choose to have a point and the updated novelties (tho not released in this ic thread) do have already points instead of komma. The reasons for this is that the base set is US Ansi. And US Ansi numpad has a point on numblock, where ISO numpad has a komma. (side note: that small numpad detail was always missed in previous iso kits... i should probably look into it). Also the mass number is pretty small and technically for double shot process the point is more preferable.

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #392 on: Sun, 05 August 2018, 12:05:08 »
Hey T0mb3ry, is this GB still a couple months out? It's been a rather expensive keyboard month with TX offering sales and Space Cadet....Either way, I'll make it work, but hoping for a small respite between buys.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #393 on: Sun, 05 August 2018, 12:18:02 »
Hey T0mb3ry, is this GB still a couple months out? It's been a rather expensive keyboard month with TX offering sales and Space Cadet....Either way, I'll make it work, but hoping for a small respite between buys.

I am always wondering why people do not read front page/first post. You miss quite a lot of information. For example a probable drop date which is Q4 2018. From now you got probably 3-4 months until possible GMK Carbon drop. Thus dont worry and join all those great drops/group buys ;)

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #394 on: Sun, 05 August 2018, 12:20:49 »

I am always wondering why people do not read front page/first post. You miss quite a lot of information. For example a probable drop date which is Q4 2018. From now you got probably 3-4 months until possible GMK Carbon drop. Thus dont worry and join all those great drops/group buys ;)

Q4 is technically 3 weeks away....3-4 months away would put you into Q1 2019.

But thanks for the condescending answer anyways.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #395 on: Sun, 05 August 2018, 12:31:42 »

I want to apologize at this point for my lack of knowledge in fiscal year differences :( . I thought whole world has the same fiscal year definition. I am using german fiscal year. I've updated this info in the first page.

Q1 2018 -- January 1, 2018 to March 31, 2018
Q2 2018 -- April 1, 2018 to June 30, 2018
Q3 2018 -- July 1, 2018 to September 30, 2018
Q4 2018 -- October 1, 2018 to December 31, 2018

As you can see we are months away from possible drop. I dont think it will happen in October but rather Novemeber or even December. But those are my assumptions so take it with a grain of salt.
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 August 2018, 13:05:38 by T0mb3ry »

Offline Hokabuki

« Reply #396 on: Sun, 05 August 2018, 15:59:35 »

Show Image

I would like to see the number be 12 as a whole number without any decimal or comma. As a chemical engineer, most people use the rounded molecular mass.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #397 on: Sun, 05 August 2018, 20:12:10 »

Show Image

I’m a fan of the decimal mass. Its technically more accurate but I worry if it might look busy on the small keycap top as opposed to seeing it on our screens.

Using the simple 12 sounds like a good idea if it can be designed cleanly and still look balanced on the keycap.

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
« Reply #398 on: Mon, 06 August 2018, 08:12:14 »

Q4 is 3 weeks away! MY GOD WHERE DID THE TIME GO??? CHRISTMAS IS JUST 2 MONTHS AWAY FROM NOW!!!

I want to apologize at this point for my lack of knowledge in fiscal year differences :( . I thought whole world has the same fiscal year definition. I am using german fiscal year. I've updated this info in the first page.

As you can see we are months away from possible drop. I dont think it will happen in October but rather Novemeber or even December. But those are my assumptions so take it with a grain of salt.

don't apologize man, it's common knowledge that each quarter is 3 months, with Q1 starting from January.

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #399 on: Mon, 06 August 2018, 08:16:05 »

wait what? US Q4 starts in september? That doesn't make any sense at all... do you celebrate new year on Dec. 1st or what?  :))