Author Topic: IBM Model F very sensitive to everything (grounding issues?)  (Read 1719 times)

Offline Mongol

IBM Model F very sensitive to everything (grounding issues?)
« on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 10:04:45 »
Hi everyone, I got an IBM Model F XT and I've managed to make the Soarer's converter for it. It works all good with other old keyboards (tested with a G80-1000).

However it's very problematic with the F. At first it was just going crazy because the grounding inside the case wasn't hooked up, now it's half random - it can work for a few hours fine, then it starts spamming some certain keys (usually \, x, ctrl) and nothing helps until it goes away by itself. It's similar when I disconnect the grounding wire, just a lot worse.

It's guaranteed to start spamming keys when I start any game - I've pinpointed this to just being caused by the GPU spinning up, as running a GPU-only benchmark does the same. I suppose this might be due to some EMI - the graphics card can take up to 200W by it's specification.

I've opened the case and cleaned the PCB, didn't help any though. The foam looks to be in very good condition.

Do you have any ideas on what I could do to make it less sensitive?
Also, should the PE from the din5 connector (the ibm cable ground connects to it) be connected to anything on the teensy (pro micro) I use? Can it be connected to what's specified as GND?

Offline Tactile

Re: IBM Model F very sensitive to everything (grounding issues?)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 10:21:33 »
If you're using a Pro Micro (I think you implied that), make sure J1 is bridged with solder. See this post.
REΛLFORCE

Offline Mongol

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 15:14:48 »
That was the issue, thank you! Was so sure that it's not an issue with the converter itself (as other keyboards worked fine), it seems that the F maybe requires more power than them.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 15:27:51 »
Glad you got it working. Thanks for letting us know.
REΛLFORCE