Author Topic: [IC] Zambumon Verne: Custom TKL  (Read 59746 times)

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
Re: [IC] Zambumon Verne: Custom TKL
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 18 December 2018, 18:19:03 »
I think it's nice to see you are putting so many 'unusual' features in this board that are new. It's not just some 10degree angle, few standard ano options, big brass weight and a cheesegrate plate with some ****ty logo on it.

It's got many unusual features which seem to reflect what you think of as important, such as having a fixed plate and slightly different gaps. Good stuff  :thumb:

I don't think it has many unusual features if we compare it with other boards. The finishes are those that I want for sets that I like or use, and the layout has been used in the past by many other custom keyboards.

In any case, the idea was to make a board for myself that other people could enjoy too.

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #101 on: Sat, 22 December 2018, 05:50:43 »
When you say no per key leds, does that just mean for rgbs? Can still do solid color leds right?

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #102 on: Sat, 22 December 2018, 08:26:59 »
When you say no per key leds, does that just mean for rgbs? Can still do solid color leds right?

RGBs. You can install single color LEDs on the PCB but I don't think it will be a feature that a lot of people are going to use.

Offline x9Memoriez

« Reply #103 on: Sun, 23 December 2018, 22:18:50 »
So silver won't be an option I take?
Matrix 1.2OG | Constellation | Rukia | TMO50 | HHKB

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #104 on: Sun, 23 December 2018, 23:12:11 »
So silver won't be an option I take?

No
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline RamenTechMech

« Reply #105 on: Sun, 23 December 2018, 23:16:00 »
That blue version tho  :p

So beautiful!

Offline Starston3

« Reply #106 on: Sat, 29 December 2018, 11:28:51 »

So beautiful!

Sadly won't be offered. Too difficult to match.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #107 on: Sat, 29 December 2018, 11:30:22 »
Why is it still featured in the OP then?

Offline Starston3

« Reply #108 on: Sat, 29 December 2018, 11:49:04 »
Zambu probably hasn't gotten around to updating it.

Offline RamenTechMech

« Reply #109 on: Sat, 29 December 2018, 13:08:25 »

So beautiful!

Sadly won't be offered. Too difficult to match.
Awe  :(

Understandable though, thanks for letting me know! Still gonna pick one up :D

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #110 on: Sat, 29 December 2018, 13:34:59 »
Zambu probably hasn't gotten around to updating it.

That's correct. I am looking for alternatives that could replace the blue with something fancier.
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 December 2018, 06:14:02 by Zambumon »

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #111 on: Sat, 29 December 2018, 16:41:52 »
Well you could swing the other direction with Nautilus colorway and go gold/yellow/neon acid lemon?

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #112 on: Sat, 29 December 2018, 20:48:40 »
Well you could swing the other direction with Nautilus colorway and go gold/yellow/neon acid lemon?

We'll see.

Offline olivia

« Reply #113 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 14:48:14 »
What about rose gold?  :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Caelestic

« Reply #114 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 03:32:40 »
We'll see.

Nautilus Nightmares green :3 (but I guess this one is hard to match, too).

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #115 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 10:30:41 »
In for this if I can't find a 2nd hand Korean board

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #116 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 10:38:44 »

That's a weird way of expressing your interest...

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #117 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 10:50:24 »

How to lose a raffle 101 right here
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #118 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 12:06:31 »
I guess I'll have to settle for this one if I can't find a refurbished Ctrl board

Offline cijanzen

[IC] Zambumon Verne: Custom TKL
« Reply #119 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 12:08:57 »
I guess I'll have to settle for this one if I can't find a refurbished Ctrl board

Ouch

Edit: does that mean I can have your oblivion grey one?

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #120 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 12:44:48 »
Do we have an estimate for the GB start?

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #121 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 13:28:40 »
Do we have an estimate for the GB start?

No ETA yet. When everything is ready, you'll know.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #122 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 09:32:52 »
RE:Group Buy

I've juggling many things simulatenously so for now I can't give you an ETA of when I'll do a group buy, perhaps it could be a 2 weeks, or maybe a month or more. If there's going to be a delay, it will be this one.

So, if it wasn't obvious, I've already have the boards and PCBs with me. I fronted the production for all the keyboard parts many months ago and this is the reason why the group buy has limited quantities. While this is risky, I took this approach because this way I could assure people that they would be getting what they were paying for, and that I could make sure of that.

Since I have the boards, I've already inspected them all. Overall, they all the red and grey boards are good, and aside one or two none present any major issues.  However, I wasn't happy at all with the blue keyboards, as they don't have the anodization requested and many units present a very noticeable color mismatch. This is why earlier this month I announced that I wasn't going to offer initially Nautilus Blue Vernes.

My current plan for those boards is to strip the anodization and powder coat them. As I'm writing these lines there's a local factory working on a sample for me. Keep in mind that those boards are probably going to be more expensive.

Also, I made some boxes.

« Last Edit: Fri, 25 January 2019, 09:34:47 by Zambumon »

Offline Starston3

« Reply #123 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 09:34:56 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I've juggling many things simulatenously so for now I can't give you an ETA of when I'll do a group buy, perhaps it could be a 2 weeks, or maybe a month or more. If there's going to be a delay, it will be this one.

So, if it wasn't obvious, I've already have the boards and PCBs with me. I fronted the production for all the keyboard parts many months ago and this is the reason why the group buy has limited quantities. While this is risky, I took this approach because this way I could assure people that they would be getting what they were paying for, and that I could make sure of that.

Since I have the boards, I've already inspected them all. Overall, they all the red and grey boards are good, and aside one or two none present any major issues.  However, I wasn't happy at all with the blue keyboards, as they don't have the anodization requested and many units present a very noticeable color mismatch. This is why earlier this month I announced that I wasn't going to offer initially Nautilus Blue Vernes.

My current plan for those boards is to strip the anodization and powder coat them. As I'm writing these lines there's a local factory working on a sample for me. Keep in mind that those boards are probably going to be more expensive.
I’m fine with waiting and a higher cost blue Verne.

Offline RamenTechMech

« Reply #124 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 09:38:47 »
I can't wait to see how it'll look like with powder coating  :thumb: And willing to wait as well for this GB :D Is the PCB still blue? The color is very rich and pops out from the pictures you had.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #125 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 09:38:51 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I’m fine with waiting and a higher cost blue Verne.

Just to point out, I won't start the GB for those until we have completed production of those too if it wasn't clear.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #126 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 09:41:20 »
I can't wait to see how it'll look like with powder coating  :thumb: And willing to wait as well for this GB :D Is the PCB still blue? The color is very rich and pops out from the pictures you had.

The PCB are all blue, in fact I'm not 100% sure but the PCB Jae used on his stream is most likely one from the main batch and not the prototype batch.

Offline RamenTechMech

« Reply #127 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 09:45:57 »

The PCB are all blue, in fact I'm not 100% sure but the PCB Jae used on his stream is most likely one from the main batch and not the prototype batch.

Awesome! Thank you for keeping us updated with this. Looking forward to all your keysets as well  :)

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #128 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 14:07:49 »

Also, I made some boxes.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Packaging looks great! Can’t wait to see these out in the wild and hopefully one on my desk :fingers crossed:

Offline maximize

« Reply #129 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 14:20:13 »

Also, I made some boxes.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

This is an interesting approach to running a GB. No explicit feedback from the community, just provide a product and let people purchase it. Like any stocked product you can buy at the store or online. The turnaround time feels very quick since we had no idea what was going on behind the scenes (at least, I didn't follow closely enough to put the pieces together). Seems like it'll work out well for you since you have plenty of experience with the hobby, community, and customers. On the other hand, it could be disastrous for someone who didn't know what they were doing or produced a terrible product.

Offline Luciqueii

• 【Luciquell & Co.】
« Reply #130 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 16:28:27 »
No brass weight? I would like to a huge brass weight in the back.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #131 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 16:45:02 »

no. At no point on during the development I considered adding one. More pieces, higher price, and increased complexity.

Verne won't have a weight, specially since all the boards have already been made.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #132 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 16:56:39 »

ah yeah mate i'll just drill a hole in the finished cases

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #133 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 19:45:30 »

But only after you give up finding that Korean board, right? ;)

Offline RamenTechMech

« Reply #134 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 21:45:13 »

But only after you give up finding that Korean board, right? ;)

hehehehe

Offline click clack jack

« Reply #135 on: Sat, 26 January 2019, 23:59:28 »
This is absolutely beautiful. Your style is top tier. With the absolute beauty of your kepcap sets I'm not surprised that this is wonderful as well. Will be attempting to get one too! I promised cijanzen that if I get it and he doesn't, I will send him flowers  :))

Offline blizzara01

« Reply #136 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 00:06:37 »
Imma watch this closely  :))

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #137 on: Tue, 05 February 2019, 12:08:44 »
Apologies for the bad pics.

I've received a powder coat sample of Verne. This one was done locally, and both the color and finish are pretty good.

Unfortunately there's a downside of powder coating these boards. Since the powder caot addsa layer of paint to the pieces, the slots I've been using for alignment purposes are now heavily reduced and they basically increas the distance between the bottom and top piece. While this is not ideal, I'd rather prefer having on my boards this separation than a mismatched top and bottom or a color that doesn't look that well with Nautilus.

Offline keyhacker

« Reply #138 on: Tue, 05 February 2019, 12:49:51 »
That color turned out great!

Offline maximize

« Reply #139 on: Tue, 05 February 2019, 12:52:41 »
I think a darker blue would complement Nautilus better, but I agree that the gap doesn't look too great...

Offline RamenTechMech

« Reply #140 on: Tue, 05 February 2019, 13:18:36 »
Saw the pictures of the keyboard on Instagram. It looks great but I am concerned about it being a fingerprint magnet as you mentioned on your story  :-\

Idk how many would consider this but how about a matte finish instead of a glossy finish?

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #141 on: Tue, 05 February 2019, 14:02:32 »
Saw the pictures of the keyboard on Instagram. It looks great but I am concerned about it being a fingerprint magnet as you mentioned on your story  :-\

Idk how many would consider this but how about a matte finish instead of a glossy finish?

I'd want to go with this color and finish.

Offline RamenTechMech

« Reply #142 on: Tue, 05 February 2019, 15:22:43 »

I'd want to go with this color and finish.

That is fine, I respect your decision.

Thinking about it more, it would look nice with the PCB since that has a nice gloss to it too. Still plan on picking up a blue one  :thumb:

Offline keyhacker

« Reply #143 on: Tue, 05 February 2019, 16:45:37 »
The other option is cerakoting. CeraKote can be color matched to just about anything and wouldn't have those gaps.

Offline ItsAllen

« Reply #144 on: Tue, 05 February 2019, 19:39:42 »
Oh loooordddd. Let this be my first TKL.

Offline dapdunk

« Reply #145 on: Tue, 05 February 2019, 23:37:29 »

Looks great with Chocolatier too.

Show Image

Chocolate covered cherry, I like it! Will this support split space?

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #146 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 00:25:34 »

Looks great with Chocolatier too.

Show Image

Chocolate covered cherry, I like it! Will this support split space?

No split space. Check the OP.

Boards and PCBs have already been made.

Offline Jkush463

« Reply #147 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 12:38:37 »
So are we edging close to the buy?

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #148 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 13:36:12 »
So are we edging close to the buy?

Hopefully yes.

Offline Maxusy

« Reply #149 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 14:58:29 »
would you consider selling some of the 'bad' blues anyway? Maybe some people like it?

Or you don't want to be associated with 'failed' boards and therefore are reluctant to put them out in the open? If it's really bad I guess no one wants them anyway but a little bit of different blue wouldn't deter me too much.
b.face x2