Author Topic: [IC] Southpaw Split PCB and 3D printed cases  (Read 3474 times)

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
[IC] Southpaw Split PCB and 3D printed cases
« on: Mon, 02 December 2019, 01:15:02 »
What's up guys, Gondo here!

I have partnered up with Jake from P3D to offer an affordable split PCB kit and case. You may know Jake from the 3D printed cases he has been selling though his website https://www.p3dstore.com/, or from before as /u/skyybaby. We are excited to announce a new Interest Check for a PCB and Case that will be coming.

For those that don't know me, I'm a brazilian PCB designer best known for the Acheron Project, which encompasses the SharkPCB, Doddle60, ElongatePCB and the AustinPCB. Our idea for the PCB is a southpaw split keyboard featuring a number pad on attached on the left side, and a typical 65% right side. We are in the very early stages of the project, and I’d love to gather some interest and feedback to help influence how things will proceed.

Click here https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScao0ggXHL9MEr5bWf9rYysa8zLx0dW9MVBpZXokYyYT7GLxg/viewform for the IC form to give us your opinion!

In the next sections we will present our ideas and areas we want your feedback.

The PCB

Below is an image of our actual idea for the PCB.

(1) Layout compatibility options. We are thinking of also a mirrored-numpad support, how do you guys feel about that? We are also considering adding ISO support, as well as split left and/or right shifts. Stepped caps lock is also on the list. We want feedback on these options, making an inclusive layout whilst keeping the PCB as solid as possible.

(2) How about RGB underglow or per-key lighting?

(3) The idea is to use USB type C connectors for the main PCB connector. However, there is an idea to do USBC also for the split connection (which generally is a TRRS connector). We feel this is a nice move, but different, as spilt users generally have TRRS cables laying around.

(4) Hotswap might be an option, although HS will greatly reduce layout compatibility.

(5) We are also thinking of doing a Plaid-style all THT design which is very sought after these days. Issue with this option is soldering 100+ diodes which can be very tedious.

(6) How do you guys feel about an F-Row?

What we can’t change about the PCB is mainly the microprocessor. As of today QMK does not support split layouts on the newer ARM MCUs so we are stuck with Atmega for this. This is not a downside per se, just clearing up the design choice. Also USBC is almost a requirement for PCBs these days, so we want to stick with that.

I will also load the PCB with the Acheron latest features, such as:

• Overcurrent and overvoltage protections;
  • ESD (Electrostatic Discharge) protection on data lines;
  • TVS (Transient Voltage Suppressor) on the bus voltage power feed;
  • Isolation from MCU and bus power rails by means of a pi-filter;
  • PCB will be open-sourced and released under the Acheron Project.

The case

The goal of this project is to make a PCB to sell alongside a 3D printed case, offer an “end game” unique layout without the high price tag a full aluminum case would run.

We are however still gathering ideas for the case:

• Do you guys prefer a high or low profile case?
  • What about tenting?
  • We hear that 5-7 degrees is the best inclination angle; however, we see many people even doing negative angles (declined angle);
  • Due to the 3D printing jake can offer a myriad of case options and colors; the idea is to offer 4 to 6 default color options, but custom colors can be done for no additional charge.
  • Aside from the case options, we also want to offer a “sandwich-mount” option, made of PCB, switch and base plates made of FR4. This way we can offer an affordable option for those that want to test the layout and, if you feel inclined, you can buy the case and simply drop the PCB and switch plates into the case!

The GB

Depending on feedback Jake may run the PCB and case GB style. If we get enough interest, he will most likely just stock this in his store to be made available right away.

Please fill out the form below to help us out. In the form you have the option of giving feedback and suggestions. We are thrilled to hear what you guys have to say!

Jake has posted this very same IC in Reddit, so you can follow along here.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks,

Jake from P3D LLC
Gondo
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

Re: [IC] Southpaw Split PCB and 3D printed cases
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 02 December 2019, 02:00:13 »
Filled out your form. Love it, in for multiples.

I have a quefrency case from Jake and it’s great. Lack of 65% right side pcb n plate has precluded assembly...

Offline YMwoo

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 02 December 2019, 03:41:28 »
New here (but long time lurker) and filled up the form!
Been considering a 60/65+Numpad myself for work keyboard.
Really want a hotswap and no F-Row personally.

Offline Koatl

• Kozahtli on reddit, etc.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 02 December 2019, 10:31:55 »
Love the idea of a hopefully cheap split southpaw. Would love if it has some option of being put together as well. Looking forward to updates.
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 02 December 2019, 15:51:20 »
Preliminary results: https://imgur.com/gallery/tyXEgs2

We are leaning towards:

(1) Hotswap
(2) PKRGB
(3) Full USBC
(4) No F-Row
(5) High-profile
(6) 5 degree inclined
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 02 December 2019, 16:22:46 »
Omg I have decline compatriots out there

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 05 December 2019, 11:13:20 »
Hotswap sounds great but only if the layout is the 1.25/2.25 option for the left side; the other layout is a dealbreaker for me. Is it possible to have the footprint for all the bottom row layouts and let the user solder the sockets where they want?

Offline thornkin

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 06 December 2019, 00:51:52 »
I would prefer the right hand side have a bit more isolation of the arrows and right hand keys. Kinda like the tx75v2 or the 7v.

It looks good though! I am excited to see more split options.