Author Topic: Favorite Clickbar Switch?  (Read 4554 times)

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
Favorite Clickbar Switch?
« on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 19:11:57 »
Hi all,

I am going to buy some BOX clickies for modding a DSI 90 key with stock pre-retooled Cherry Reds. Any recommendations? I want to hear what your favorites are, and why.

Sincerely,
treeleaf64
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
Re: Favorite Clickbar Switch?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 22:05:22 »
On second thought, I should probably include what I have used. I have tried BOX Navy, and I liked it. With prolonged use, I doubt I would enjoy it as much (similar to Alps SKCM White). I could tell that I had to exert a lot of force to actuate and bottom out the switches, and I would not be able to keep it up for extended periods of time.

Offline equalunique

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 22:43:20 »
On second thought, I should probably include what I have used. I have tried BOX Navy, and I liked it. With prolonged use, I doubt I would enjoy it as much (similar to Alps SKCM White). I could tell that I had to exert a lot of force to actuate and bottom out the switches, and I would not be able to keep it up for extended periods of time.
Try the NK_ Sherbet switches from Novelkeys. As a clickbar switch, they are lighter than Navy and a little heavier than Jade, but just as tactile.

The pheonix stems from hieronbob are also pretty cool. It's like as loud and tactile as a clickbar, but still using a clickjacket instead.

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 02:57:47 »
Jades are my favourite. Pale Blue feels similar but without the thicc clicc. I like heavier switches in general but the Navy felt like it was less tactile despite the same spring and heavier click bar than the Pale Blues. Haven't tried any others.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 08:01:18 »
Try the NK_ Sherbet switches from Novelkeys. As a clickbar switch, they are lighter than Navy and a little heavier than Jade, but just as tactile.

The pheonix stems from hieronbob are also pretty cool. It's like as loud and tactile as a clickbar, but still using a clickjacket instead.

I hadn't even heard of these. It seems like a shame that they're not using the box design, since literally everybody has wanted an intermediate spring weight thick click since the jades and navies have existed together. It appears that they're less smooth than other thick clicks, which doesn't surprise me in light of this. I think I would rather just play around with spring swaps with jades or navies myself.

Jades are my favourite. Pale Blue feels similar but without the thicc clicc. I like heavier switches in general but the Navy felt like it was less tactile despite the same spring and heavier click bar than the Pale Blues. Haven't tried any others.

I'll add a vote to jades, partly because they're the closest to complicated Alps to me. The tactile event is obviously less refined than alps, and a little stiffer, but it is high like Alps, with a sudden drop like Alps, and they're the bassiest non Alps clicky switch I have ever tried. The navies come in a close second. They're higher-pitched, too heavy for many, and actually feel less tactile due to their heavy spring weight, but the balance between click bar and spring weight seems perfect. Both are a joy to type on, and I don't find navies difficult to become accustomed to for a daily driver.

The concerns of the jade springs possibly being too weak to reliably return are unfounded. I have used them with giant AT-style space bars and big ass enter keys with no ill effects.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 08:30:03 »
Hi all,

I am going to buy some BOX clickies for modding a DSI 90 key with stock pre-retooled Cherry Reds. Any recommendations? I want to hear what your favorites are, and why.

Sincerely,
treeleaf64

Box navy and white are holy

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 17:25:50 »

Ok, thank you. I will look those up, and maybe consider them as an option.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 17:26:39 »

I hadn't even heard of these. It seems like a shame that they're not using the box design, since literally everybody has wanted an intermediate spring weight thick click since the jades and navies have existed together. It appears that they're less smooth than other thick clicks, which doesn't surprise me in light of this. I think I would rather just play around with spring swaps with jades or navies myself.

I'll add a vote to jades, partly because they're the closest to complicated Alps to me. The tactile event is obviously less refined than alps, and a little stiffer, but it is high like Alps, with a sudden drop like Alps, and they're the bassiest non Alps clicky switch I have ever tried. The navies come in a close second. They're higher-pitched, too heavy for many, and actually feel less tactile due to their heavy spring weight, but the balance between click bar and spring weight seems perfect. Both are a joy to type on, and I don't find navies difficult to become accustomed to for a daily driver.

The concerns of the jade springs possibly being too weak to reliably return are unfounded. I have used them with giant AT-style space bars and big ass enter keys with no ill effects.

I could try Crystal Jades, those are said to be slightly heavier than normal Jades, which fixes the spring weighting return problem.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 17:27:29 »

Thank you for the help. It seems most people prefer Jades.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 17:49:20 »

I could try Crystal Jades, those are said to be slightly heavier than normal Jades, which fixes the spring weighting return problem.

There is no return problem is what I'm saying. I think people perceive that they return a tad more slowly than other switches, and assume that may cause problems, but it doesn't in reality. I can't find much of anything about these crystal jades. What is actually different about them other than the fact that they're pcb mount? It seems odd to me that they changed both the mount type, and the inherent characteristics of the switch in a single variant.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 10:46:03 »

There is no return problem is what I'm saying. I think people perceive that they return a tad more slowly than other switches, and assume that may cause problems, but it doesn't in reality. I can't find much of anything about these crystal jades. What is actually different about them other than the fact that they're pcb mount? It seems odd to me that they changed both the mount type, and the inherent characteristics of the switch in a single variant.

They changed the spring so it is a little heavier, and does not have the return problem anymore. I am a fast typer, and I like to save money, so I think I will be getting the normal Jades.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 11:53:36 »
I don't think that there is any return problem. I think the jades could use a little bit heavier spring regardless though. Might improve the overall balance of the switch between spring and click bar.

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 11:58:28 »
Box pinks are the best weighted out of all of them.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 12:24:05 »

I haven't had the pleasure of trying box pinks, but I would think they would be too light for me, and the tactility may be too little. They do sound nice and bassy in comparison videos though.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 13:29:48 »

I haven't had the pleasure of trying box pinks, but I would think they would be too light for me, and the tactility may be too little. They do sound nice and bassy in comparison videos though.

I have typed on them, and I think the weighting is fine, but the tactility is barely more than box white.

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 15:08:12 »
I don't think that there is any return problem. I think the jades could use a little bit heavier spring regardless though. Might improve the overall balance of the switch between spring and click bar.

You'd probably like crystal jades then. The bottom out being at 75g puts it right in between vanilla jades (60g) and navies (90g). They're a nice medium weight.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 16:11:01 »

You'd probably like crystal jades then. The bottom out being at 75g puts it right in between vanilla jades (60g) and navies (90g). They're a nice medium weight.

Since crystal Jades are more expensive than normal "vanilla" Jades, I think I will just get normal ones. Maledicted says that Jades do not have return problems for him, and I believe him. Vanilla Jades it is :)

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 17:56:46 »

There's also the annoyance of possibly having to clip the pcb mount tabs on every switch, for plate mount boards. I have a bunch of normal jades waiting for boards, I should pick up some springs.

Since crystal Jades are more expensive than normal "vanilla" Jades, I think I will just get normal ones. Maledicted says that Jades do not have return problems for him, and I believe him. Vanilla Jades it is :)