Author Topic: RAMA WORKS U80-A  (Read 48939 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
RAMA WORKS U80-A
« on: Tue, 18 June 2019, 16:53:32 »
I'm very interested in coming RAMA WORKS U80-A.

What do you guys think about it?
Whos has already ordere it and who will order one?
What color do you prefer?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline lendflat

Re: RAMA WORKS U80-A
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 18 June 2019, 17:00:41 »
No silver. Cant customize weight... will wait for round 2 when he comes to his senses.

Offline phinix

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 04:29:27 »
No silver. Cant customize weight... will wait for round 2 when he comes to his senses.
So SEQ1 means this is round 1 and there will be more?
I didn't follow other Rama products - do you know or can you assume what kind of changes will come in second round?
Would there be possibility for ISO for example?

Also, where does this coming from? I wonder if EU will have to pay tax, customs etc
For some reason when i ordered some things from China, Japan etc - never paid taxes..
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 June 2019, 08:30:42 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline bUttery

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 20:18:57 »
I ordered a MOON (silver) and I had the same idea that it is kinda lame how you can not choose what color plate or weight. But it is my first build ever so i am excited no less.

I have been waiting awhile to find a TKL keyboard kit.
I play a lot of games and I use my tilde too much to commit to a 60% and I am just excited to have a nice chunky and heavy TKL.

I am a big fan of silenced tactile thocky sounding boards so the main selling point is that insulator under the plate. I plan to use MOD-M switches or Zilents. 

Since it is honestly my first GB (other than massdrop) I am curious how long of a wait it will be.

Offline phinix

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 02:48:41 »
I ordered a MOON (silver) and I had the same idea that it is kinda lame how you can not choose what color plate or weight. But it is my first build ever so i am excited no less.

I have been waiting awhile to find a TKL keyboard kit.
I play a lot of games and I use my tilde too much to commit to a 60% and I am just excited to have a nice chunky and heavy TKL.

I am a big fan of silenced tactile thocky sounding boards so the main selling point is that insulator under the plate. I plan to use MOD-M switches or Zilents. 

Since it is honestly my first GB (other than massdrop) I am curious how long of a wait it will be.

Yep, I'm looking at Moon as well, looks like a safe choice to look good with all the caps sets I have.
I would prefer Moon and then rose gold or golden bar, but won't pay extra $80 for it. Unless I would find someone who would like to swap.
I would put Tealios on it, as I prefer linear, but would get hotswap, so could do any in the future.
I would miss ISO, as I'm in UK, but I guess I could get used to it.
Also, old school bottom row is a bit weird for me as well, 7u space bar and 1.5u mods may not be all available in my sets, so would have to fish for them second hand...

I hope it won't take long, people say about 2-3 months of manufacturing, so aiming for October max, I hope so...
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 June 2019, 02:51:37 by phinix »

Offline Kavik

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 10:33:15 »
I always think I'm done with keyboards, and then a new cool one pops up. I hadn't even heard of this one until this thread.

The U80-A doesn't look super appealing to me aesthetically, but it looks extremely high quality. I'm seriously thinking about getting this now; although none of the colors particularly appeal to me (or perhaps, I should say none of the color combinations. I think black with gold weight would look nice). I know I do not want the moon color since that's very similar to my M65-A, whose color I've never been satisfied with.

Maybe I should think about it in terms of keysets I have. White is boring, but it would go with GMK DMG or MT3 Dev/tty if I decide to keep it. Lake blue looks nice, but the closest thing I have to a set for it is SA Cyan on Dolch. Moon gray and Kuro black would go with ePBT slate. I have nothing that would go with the Port burgundy color.

Have you decide which one you like?
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Kelseer

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 11:57:39 »
I'm thinking of picking up the Milk or Port, because I think the other colours aren't anything we haven't seen before. Hotswap, because of the flexibility down the road on switches.

Where did people say the lead time for this will be 2-3 months?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 12:16:07 »
Wow, milk + heavy industry SEQ2 :drools:

I'mma scour youtube for typing demo videos after round 1.  The dampening method looks intriguing.

Offline appaboy

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 12:21:11 »
I'm very interested in coming RAMA WORKS U80-A.

What do you guys think about it?
Whos has already ordere it and who will order one?
What color do you prefer?

im personally not a fan of the mirror finished metal is on some elements of the board, which seems to be a trend by rama.

the internal dampeners are cool
PC Singa, MIR80, TX84se, g80-3314, g80-0427, g80-5000 + 5700, G80-3700, g81-3000 HBU (og wob)

HASRO keycaps
OG POM keycaps
SAI OG Italian dyesubs
Scarface Fn blank

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 12:22:16 »
I'm really interested in the internals of this. But I can't say I like the looks very much. I'll have to see how rich I'm feeling next month.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline ninjinphu

• Music to Clack to
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 12:28:36 »
I ordered a Lake since I already have the Nautilus caps and Linjars. Pretty excited to see how it sounds.

Offline lewisflude

• Hand Engineering
    • Hand Engineering
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 23 June 2019, 13:54:20 »
No ISO no buy sadly! Shame as the muted system seems really interesting.

Offline siijunn

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 23 June 2019, 15:15:36 »
These days seem to all be about the TKL. Haven't been into TKL for a while now, but if I ever come around or feel like putting one together I may pick one up.

Personally, a bigger fan of the M60-A but even that is a little too shiny for my tastes.

Heavy Industry on the other hand? wooooo boy.

Offline timbaaa

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 23 June 2019, 23:21:34 »
I think many are still waiting to know how effective the mute pad is, especially with non-silent switches.

Colour wise, all of them look stunning but knowing that they are just really super nice renders, I won't commit until seeing live pictures.

I have ordered the Heavy Industry set though!

Offline phinix

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 03:20:25 »
I think many are still waiting to know how effective the mute pad is, especially with non-silent switches.

Colour wise, all of them look stunning but knowing that they are just really super nice renders, I won't commit until seeing live pictures.

Do you think they will show real pictures or typing test before ordering ends?
We still have 2 weeks, I would like to see that first before I press Buy button...

Offline timbaaa

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 04:48:02 »

Do you think they will show real pictures or typing test before ordering ends?
We still have 2 weeks, I would like to see that first before I press Buy button...

You an I both are on the same boat.
Ideally they would post photos and tests as it has been over three weeks since orders opened and they have promised to put out more information.
But seeing as how busy they are especially with the Koyu shipping very soon (sometime in July), we can only hope it comes before they get swamped.

Offline phinix

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 05:31:18 »
No ISO no buy sadly! Shame as the muted system seems really interesting.

You see, I also use ISO as I live in UK.
But I thought I could get that ANSI anyway and try to get used it it.
Looking at a build of U80-A, looks like they could introduce ISO later on - they would need to produce ISO pcb and plate.
That MUTE gasket looks like could take ISO already.

I hope they will do it in the future...

Offline timbaaa

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 09:53:53 »

Offline bwighthunter

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 12:39:38 »

has the u80 being built with gat inks and even has a typing test.

Offline phinix

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 16:52:15 »
Daim!!!!!!
I saw that on reddit 15 minutes ago...

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 16:55:54 »
Man that sounds super good.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline phinix

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 07:40:57 »
Well... so I ordered it!
Got the Moon color.
Including postage to UK, £386.
Now, in next 3 months, Customs gonna slap me in a face...

Offline lewisflude

• Hand Engineering
    • Hand Engineering
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 08:16:44 »
Well... so I ordered it!
Got the Moon color.

I'm on the edge of getting one! How hopeful are you for ISO?

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 08:33:15 »

Do not hold your breath on that — there will be no ISO during this GB.

Offline phinix

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 08:56:22 »
Well... so I ordered it!
Got the Moon color.

Well, hard to say. Ideally I wanted an ISO, but went for it anyway.

From the product point of view, it is possible just to produce ISO plate and pcb. If they gonna do it? Don't know. Maybe if they had more requests.
That mute gasket has big hole under enter area and on left for Shift, so looks like its all matter of having ISO pcb and plate.
Maybe that was the reason for keeping those holes there...

« Last Edit: Fri, 28 June 2019, 08:58:07 by phinix »

Offline SuperUltra

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 16:49:04 »
TKL is my favorite layout and I love the RAMA aesthetic so I had to get one of these. I ordered the Milk (white) keyboard and a set of Heavy Industry Seq 2 keycaps. Don't forget to order the internal dampener or weight if you want one. I thought at least the dampener would be included but it's not.

Offline iwishiwasapriate

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 22:30:34 »
I'm in love with the U80-A though right now, it's a bit beyond my budget.

If I were in the market, I think I'd go for either Port or Lake. I think a version in a forest green with a gold weight, would have looked awesome too.

I'll have to settle for my more budget-friendly Alu body TKL for now   :(
0118999881999119725    3

Offline jmg123

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 03:49:41 »

From the product point of view, it is possible just to produce ISO plate and pcb. If they gonna do it? Don't know. Maybe if they had more requests.
That mute gasket has big hole under enter area and on left for Shift, so looks like its all matter of having ISO pcb and plate.

Show Image

I ordered a milk one, and an extra gasket , as I think it will require a little modification around the left shift and |\ key.  Once it arrives i plan on getting an iso plate cut at laser boost and either handwiring or designing a pcb (depending on how much space there is)

Offline phinix

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 08:59:05 »

Show Image

I ordered a milk one, and an extra gasket , as I think it will require a little modification around the left shift and |\ key.  Once it arrives i plan on getting an iso plate cut at laser boost and either handwiring or designing a pcb (depending on how much space there is)

Well, if you gonna do that, you may get iso buyers for it.

Offline jmg123

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 14:36:53 »
If It works out ok then i’ll add the files to github for any other iso lovers. That said if there are enough of us maybe rama would do an ISO plate? Who knows.

Offline phinix

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 18:17:24 »
If It works out ok then i’ll add the files to github for any other iso lovers. That said if there are enough of us maybe rama would do an ISO plate? Who knows.

I hope they will...

Offline phinix

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 18:17:45 »
I think this video shows good colors Rama is using, go to 10:25.

Offline poodude

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 22:21:33 »
I went with a moon and internal dampener. I love the thick substantial bezel, and appreciate the restrained industrial look. I think more clean looking monochromatic key sets will look great with this. I ordered an Oblivion base set that I hope will look good with it.

mspaint mockup:

« Last Edit: Sat, 29 June 2019, 22:23:13 by poodude »

Offline Kelseer

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 23:06:38 »
Just remember that the bottom row is different, its got a 7u spacebar, with the Windows keys at 1u each.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 30 June 2019, 09:40:05 »
If this mounting style works well and feels good, presumably there will be future Rama boards with it. As much as I'm curious about it (and as good a deal as the GB price is), I'll have to pass for now. I just don't like how it looks and I don't like the 0.5u spacing around the alphas.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline phinix

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 30 June 2019, 11:09:40 »
I went with a moon and internal dampener. I love the thick substantial bezel, and appreciate the restrained industrial look. I think more clean looking monochromatic key sets will look great with this. I ordered an Oblivion base set that I hope will look good with it.

mspaint mockup:

Show Image

Yep, Oblivion will look perfect with Moon.
I love the bezel too, like old school Realforce:)
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 July 2019, 06:41:22 by phinix »

Offline timbaaa

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 07 July 2019, 20:29:04 »
There is another video with Healios + Hako Royal True typing sounds and showing the LED modes.

Offline phinix

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 08 July 2019, 02:49:47 »
Yep, I saw that yesterday. Looking good.
From those videos it sounds like silenced Topre for me.
I have 55g silenced topre board and it sounds very similar.

So I understand the reason for this gasket - I understand that people didn't like so afar the sound of typing on aluminium cases, like Rama M60 for example, where you could here loud tock when bottoming out? Solid aluminium case with plate screwed to it was making hollow noises etc?
Is this the reason they designed this gasket?

Offline Kavik

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 08 July 2019, 11:55:36 »
I still can't decide on color, dang it. I'm leaning towards Port but it's hard to tell how purple vs red this hue of maroon is. Lake looks good too. Black would be nice if I could get it with a gold weight, but black on black just looks too boring.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 09:04:27 »
Well, I went with Port since it was my initial interest. I hope it matches well with GMK DMG. If not, I'll throw some dark gray keycaps on it maybe.

Offline awetblanketnamedpam

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 09:24:50 »
7/11 and pre-orders are still open.. hoping they're not gonna have production delays.

Offline phinix

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 10:26:26 »
I hope not, I'm keeping special place under this year's Christmas tree for it...

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 10:35:09 »
7/11 and pre-orders are still open.. hoping they're not gonna have production delays.

So far all of RAMA's group buys have briefly remained open after the official deadline. Don't read too much into it.

Offline ninjinphu

• Music to Clack to
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 10:38:24 »

So far all of RAMA's group buys have briefly remained open after the official deadline. Don't read too much into it.

I think they're in Australia, makes sense when you want to make sure global deadline doesn't cause someone to miss the order overnight.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 14 July 2019, 11:54:45 »
I think they're in Australia [...]

RAMA, Kate and Wilba operate out of Melbourne. The rest of the team are scattered over the globe.

Offline timbaaa

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 02:00:42 »
I haven't seen any discussion on this, but can the U80-A technically be considered a sandwich mount with no screws securing the plate?
There are no screws securing the plate+mute+PCB assembly to either the top or the bottom case and seems to only be mated to the top case by friction with the corresponding indents along the plate.
Any thoughts?

3:20
5:13 - Watch in slow motion!  :))

Offline SlipperyPeteED

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 19 July 2019, 01:08:42 »
I should of grabbed one of these. I wonder what the aftermarket is going to be like for it.

Offline gbgwang

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 10 September 2019, 01:51:09 »
Do you have any plans to update the current production?

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 13:55:29 »
Looks amazing the keyboard I was trying to get it but was late by some weeks haha. I do hope they make a Second run version of this would be awesome

Offline dom

• XOXO
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 14:41:31 »
The U80-A is my dream, I was late few weeks as well  :confused:
There will be future runs (probably next year) ;)

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 12 September 2019, 16:24:31 »
i'm pretty stoked to not have to devalue my pcb by not having to solder my switches in. my body runs hot and i swear it makes the iron even hotter than it should be. that is a recipe for lifting pads who can relate
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline shansoft

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 12 September 2019, 17:12:59 »
i'm pretty stoked to not have to devalue my pcb by not having to solder my switches in. my body runs hot and i swear it makes the iron even hotter than it should be. that is a recipe for lifting pads who can relate

I much prefer hotswap than soldering for few reason. I swap switches a lot and having desoldering without desoldering gun is just too much.
Especially when lubes goes out, and you need to re-lube the switches or stab....

Offline Kavik

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 12 September 2019, 21:10:47 »

I much prefer hotswap than soldering for few reason. I swap switches a lot and having desoldering without desoldering gun is just too much.
Especially when lubes goes out, and you need to re-lube the switches or stab....

Exactly, not too bad if you have a switch top opening plate (although that's still very time consuming and also doesn't help if you have BOX switches), but otherwise it's too much of a pain to desolder. I have lifted many a pad desoldering with just and iron and a solder sucker. It also takes forever.

Offline DB24

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 23 September 2019, 20:11:40 »
I am really psyched to get this kit. I ordered the "Lake" color with solderable PCB. I plan on putting in Zilent V2's 67gr. Also I ordered the heavy industry keycap set but also I have the GMK nines on order so not sure which one I will put on the board yet. I was able to get the U-80 ordered back in mid June. The web site says orders will ship when production is finished basically. I am really looking forward to this board, maybe it will even be my "endgame" lol. I would love to hear everyone's guess on how much the production on a kit like this might take. To those of you who are more experienced in these things, if you had to speculate, when do you think the production of a kit like this will be ready to ship? From what I have seen delays seem to be the norm, so I understand why vendors avoid putting exact dates on pre-orders etc. (case in point, still waiting on the KBD8xMkII, which it seems had to do a do-over on the brass plates...)

What do ya think? :)

Offline phinix

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 02:52:31 »
I'm in exactly same position - waiting for 8X MkII and new brass wieghts, then U80-A.
I asked Rama about timescales. it could be 3-4 months.
I would love to get it on Christmas, but there is possibility that it will be January.
Fingers crossed guys will run it smoothly and all will be ready for without delays, cause with delays it can hit 6 months...

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 09:51:13 »
Pretty excited to receive mine.

Got the grey option, but can't remember the name for it haha.

I check every day for a potential update on the manu process.

Offline phinix

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 10:03:16 »
Moon, I also ordered it.
They should tell us already that at least production has started...

Offline DB24

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 20:45:13 »
I'm in exactly same position - waiting for 8X MkII and new brass wieghts, then U80-A.
I asked Rama about timescales. it could be 3-4 months.
I would love to get it on Christmas, but there is possibility that it will be January.
Fingers crossed guys will run it smoothly and all will be ready for without delays, cause with delays it can hit 6 months...
Thanks for this reply. Now I can kind of conceptualize a little more realistically about when I might receive this board and not get hopes up too much. Maybe January? OK cool. I will put it out of my mind a bit and keep waiting on that 8X MKII lol  ;D

Offline walie

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 21:56:05 »
2020 at the very least, I'm not expecting it until the spring

Offline phinix

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 01 November 2019, 06:02:35 »
2020 at the very least, I'm not expecting it until the spring

Yep, Rama confirmed on Instagram - Q1 2020.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 14:21:55 »
Has anyone seen any updates on these? I know Q1 means it could still extend until April, but I'm just curious since I haven't seen anything from Rama about it.

Offline boog

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 06:57:53 »
Has anyone seen any updates on these? I know Q1 means it could still extend until April, but I'm just curious since I haven't seen anything from Rama about it.

I’m subscribed to Rama updates and this was mentioned on it:
https://rama.works/prototype/2020/2/26/m50-a-grid-u80-a-thermal-updates

Expected some time in March.

Offline walie

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 07:20:10 »

No it isn’t

Offline boog

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 07:44:08 »

No it isn’t

Sorry while not being very helpful, you’re right... completion expected in March. Shipment says between April and May. Unless I’m missing something.

Offline jx6203

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 09:34:32 »
Hi, I am not sure if this is the thread to post it. But if someone is interested in a E-White U80A do PM me. Would like to sell my spot away at cost price for those that are really interested in it. I apologised and if this is wrong, please delete my message. 

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 15:12:07 »
What keycaps are you pairing with a Milk U80-A?  Is GMK Bleached close enough?  The latest posts on that GB thread sound like it won't be close. 

Offline dabeshu

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 15:54:29 »
Looks bulky and oblong. The more classical, standard TKL design is really where it’s at for me. Then again the only thing I like from them that isn’t a t-shirt or an action figure is the M60. Thermal is actually nice too. Their “mute-mount” sounds cool but most of the keyboards they produce follow a form and shaping that just ends up looking really odd most of the time. The m60 and the thermal are sleek but their larger boards tend to look like, well, tanks. I’d much rather spend my money on something that acts as a complement to my set-up, not something that stands out like a sore thumb and dominates desk space. They really should trim up their designs.. IMO most of their products just look stupid. Just my $0.02

Offline Kavik

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 16:00:10 »
Looks bulky and oblong. The more classical, standard TKL design is really where it’s at for me. Then again the only thing I like from them that isn’t a t-shirt or an action figure is the M60. Thermal is actually nice too. Their “mute-mount” sounds cool but most of the keyboards they produce follow a form and shaping that just ends up looking really odd most of the time. The m60 and the thermal are sleek but their larger boards tend to look like, well, tanks. I’d much rather spend my money on something that acts as a complement to my set-up, not something that stands out like a sore thumb and dominates desk space. They really should trim up their designs.. IMO most of their products just look stupid. Just my $0.02

I don't entirely disagree with you. I entered this GB because I want a hotswap board with great build quality. The mute feature also piqued my interest. That said, I agree that the design is a bit large and round for my taste. I'm still excited for this to ship out; I just wish updates were more substantial and/or frequent.

Offline idislikematt

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 17:15:10 »
Hi, I am not sure if this is the thread to post it. But if someone is interested in a E-White U80A do PM me. Would like to sell my spot away at cost price for those that are really interested in it. I apologised and if this is wrong, please delete my message.

I would love one of these! PM’d!

Offline typo

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 02:07:32 »
Can't go wrong with Rama but he certainly has/had nicer ones.

Offline siggerzz

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 04:51:38 »
If anyone's interested in selling their spot, please let me know! Happy to pay extra too :)

Offline phinix

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 06:46:26 »
Well... so I ordered it!
Got the Moon color.

Year later + £78 of customs and tax...

247014-0
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 July 2020, 07:03:48 by phinix »

Offline Kavik

« Reply #72 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 13:29:48 »
Well... so I ordered it!
Got the Moon color.

(Attachment Link)

Yours will arrive two or three days before mine (DHL says the 16th and the Rama store says the 17th). I've never had to pay customs in the US though, so I'm not sure how that works over here (or if it's even a thing).

I need to lube the BOX black and BOX yellow switches I've been sitting on all this time so that I have something to stick in it when it arrives.

Offline phinix

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 15:40:36 »
Well... so I ordered it!
Got the Moon color.

(Attachment Link)

Yours will arrive two or three days before mine (DHL says the 16th and the Rama store says the 17th). I've never had to pay customs in the US though, so I'm not sure how that works over here (or if it's even a thing).

I need to lube the BOX black and BOX yellow switches I've been sitting on all this time so that I have something to stick in it when it arrives.

I have tealios waiting for it.
Also got new lube and zeal stabs.
Tuesday will be nice :)

Offline tonyjones

• I like big butts and I cannot lie.
« Reply #74 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 23:32:12 »
I'm hoping there are extras!@

Offline phinix

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 06:26:48 »
I'm hoping there are extras!@

They may have some.
Second round will start very soon, so you can order then.

Offline Harnak

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 18:46:27 »
Mine came in today! I'll try to take some ****ty pictures tonight of it

Offline litster

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 19:13:19 »
Mine came in today! I'll try to take some ****ty pictures tonight of it

What color did you get?  I have not received any shipping notification yet.  Mine is white.

Offline Harnak

« Reply #78 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 23:59:07 »
Here are pictures! I apologize for the quality, I only have a phone.

« Last Edit: Mon, 13 July 2020, 00:17:56 by Harnak »

Offline phinix

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 06:29:12 »
Got mine today!

247151-0

247153-1

247155-2
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 July 2020, 06:37:00 by phinix »

Offline Kavik

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 09:21:49 »
Very cool, guys. Those pics are making me impatient!

Offline phinix

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 16:51:56 »
Mine is now fully built, typing on it:)

247192-0

247194-1

247196-2

I've put SA Amber Screen on it now, but I think for keyboard this high, gmk profile would be better.

247188-3

Plus now I'm seriously considering getting HyperX pudding keycaps:)

EDIT: Yep, GMK is the way to go with this one :)

247190-4

« Last Edit: Mon, 13 July 2020, 18:25:23 by phinix »

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 17:19:59 »
Wow, really nice packaging on these.

Great design overall.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Kavik

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 10:39:27 »
Wow, that looks great, Phinix!

I got a text message from DHL saying mine would arrive today, but the DHL tracking says tomorrow, and the Rama shopify site says the day after tomorrow. Aaaaah!  :confused:

I had a mini-panic last night because I couldn't remember if I had any stabilizers, but I apparently still have a spare set of Zeal stabs, so I'm good.

Mine is the Port color, which I haven't seen from anyone else yet, so I'll post some pictures. I'm planning on putting GMK DMG on it.

Offline litster

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 11:27:13 »
I got a text message from DHL saying mine would arrive today, but the DHL tracking says tomorrow, and the Rama shopify site says the day after tomorrow. Aaaaah!  :confused:

Are you in the US?  How many days ago you received a notification that it has been shipped?  Thanks.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 13:24:45 »

Are you in the US?  How many days ago you received a notification that it has been shipped?  Thanks.

Yes, I got the initial text message that it shipped about a week ago, and then I got another one this morning.

It did indeed arrive today. Initial impression is disappointment in the rose gold weight. It is tarnished on both sides (the visible portions) and a bit on the bottom. It's more severe on the left side, but the right side is clearly a fingerprint. I'm not sure I'll be able to show this in pictures very well. I'm not super anal about stuff like that, but the shiny mirror polish is one of the major aesthetic draws of the board. Anodizing on the rest of the case looks good. There are slight scuffs on the inside and the outside of the bottom case, but they're barely noticeable and not on visible parts of the keyboard. Tape on the box was not sealed; maybe customs looked inside.

GMK DMG's purple color is dark in comparison, but I think it will be a good match.

I'll get some pictures up later tonight.

Offline litster

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 13:59:17 »
That is disappointing.  I just got a shipping notice today so mine won't be here for another week if I am lucky.  I have Milk with the silver weight and also an extra rose weight.  I will be able to do some comparison between the 2.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 19:54:31 »
Pics of my port U80-A. Two pics of the tarnish on the weight. The difference in color between the DMG purple/pink and the case color isn't as drastic in person as it is in the photo.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 July 2020, 19:57:35 by Kavik »

Offline timbaaa

« Reply #88 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 01:12:33 »
Pics of my port U80-A. Two pics of the tarnish on the weight. The difference in color between the DMG purple/pink and the case color isn't as drastic in person as it is in the photo.

I am on the same boat as you. My weight came tarnished and scratched.
Did you alert Rama about this?
I tried their ticketing portal but it seems broken. I've tried to login with store account but it seems like you need a different registration. I submitted a ticket and now I can't complete registration to check on the ticket lol!

Offline litster

« Reply #89 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 01:15:34 »
Email them directly at support@rama.works

Offline timbaaa

« Reply #90 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 01:17:32 »
Email them directly at support@rama.works

I totally forgot about that. I just did. Thanks!

Offline litster

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 01:20:09 »
Keep us posted.  Mine just shipped out yesterday.  I won't see my tarnished weight for another week if I am lucky.

Offline Micoo

« Reply #92 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 01:29:04 »

I tried their ticketing portal but it seems broken. I've tried to login with store account but it seems like you need a different registration. I submitted a ticket and now I can't complete registration to check on the ticket lol!

My weight is the same (Port U80).I wonder if it is only affecting the Rose Gold weights? Haven't seen anyone else bring up the issue with any other colour.

247429-0
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 July 2020, 03:00:59 by Micoo »

Offline phinix

« Reply #93 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 02:13:30 »
I have Moon version and don't think it has this tarnish. It is scratched thou.
I have two small scratches in the bottom of the weight.

Weight is VERY prone to finger prints and staining, but if i clean them a lot, it disappears. Then shows up again... would that be tarnish?
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 July 2020, 16:28:52 by phinix »

Offline eriatilox

« Reply #94 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 04:40:48 »

My weight is the same (Port U80).I wonder if it is only affecting the Rose Gold weights? Haven't seen anyone else bring up the issue with any other colour.

(Attachment Link)
My port got tarnishes too. I thought mine was bad.. until I see this.

I contacted Rama last week and they're willing to send a replacement, but yesterday they emailed me an update saying that it looks like it's a problem with this particular batch so I assumed there're plenty of weights with this problem. They're collating the numbers and will need some time to produce the replacement.

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 using Tapatalk

Offline timbaaa

« Reply #95 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 05:24:07 »

(Attachment Link)

I contacted Rama last week and they're willing to send a replacement, but yesterday they emailed me an update saying that it looks like it's a problem with this particular batch so I assumed there're plenty of weights with this problem. They're collating the numbers and will need some time to produce the replacement.

Thanks for updating this thread.
That is good to know and at the very least, it sounds like they are willing to correct the problems.
Aside from the weight tarnishing issue, the results from anodising is very hard to fault.

Weight is VERY prone to finger prints and staining, but if i clean them a lot, it disappears. Then shows up again... would that be tarnish?

It sounds like it could be the same, but I think if you post some pictures here, you'll get more eyes to see and possibly some feedback from others.

Offline litster

« Reply #96 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 12:18:45 »
I am surprised that the weight's finishing quality was not doubled-checked before packing and shipping.

Offline jaytae

• Miracles happen
« Reply #97 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 22:40:39 »
Do the other models of Rama works have weights or is it just the U80?

Offline DiGatto

« Reply #98 on: Sat, 18 July 2020, 13:21:24 »
Ready to buy tarnished for the full price, actually I don't care about them) if someone ready to sell I ready to buy for the full price

Offline phinix

« Reply #99 on: Sat, 18 July 2020, 16:27:39 »
Ready to buy tarnished for the full price, actually I don't care about them) if someone ready to sell I ready to buy for the full price

They will prabably be some for sale on reddit or ebay soon - people just started to receive them all over the world.

Offline DiGatto

« Reply #100 on: Sat, 18 July 2020, 20:35:33 »

They will prabably be some for sale on reddit or ebay soon - people just started to receive them all over the world.

It will depend how they will try to fix

Offline FionaC

« Reply #101 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 00:45:22 »
What do you guys think is a reasonable price for a new U80-a on mechmarket?
Also I see above someone mentioned R2 will be coming soon, is that true? If so I will just wait for R2 instead of paying double for one now  :)

Offline shansoft

« Reply #102 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 03:01:59 »
My milk bottom weight is also scratched from both bottom edge. It's obvious that it could be a handling issue since the scratches are symmetries.

Offline ArashiNishi

« Reply #103 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 08:40:20 »
Also I see above someone mentioned R2 will be coming soon, is that true? If so I will just wait for R2 instead of paying double for one now  :)

I read that they will have a R2 for U80-A "soon", but first they will run a R2 for M65-B, so it will take some time...
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 July 2020, 09:32:53 by ArashiNishi »

Offline ArashiNishi

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 09:31:33 »

(Attachment Link)

Thanks for updating this thread.
That is good to know and at the very least, it sounds like they are willing to correct the problems.
Aside from the weight tarnishing issue, the results from anodising is very hard to fault.

It sounds like it could be the same, but I think if you post some pictures here, you'll get more eyes to see and possibly some feedback from others.

At the end of this post they talk about the problem of tarnish on the PORT weights.
In short, notify them respectfully by email (support@rama.works) or submit a support ticket (https://support.rama.care) and once they know how many are affected, they will produce new weights and send them through DHL express.
If there are problems in other colorways, notify them too about that, maybe it could be more batches affected.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 July 2020, 09:34:15 by ArashiNishi »

Offline DiGatto

« Reply #105 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 20:51:39 »

I doubt that some one will sell absolutely new in the perfect condition. I'm ready to buy hotswap version at list for $500 and solderable for $450 with current defects. Everything about the sound.

Offline litster

« Reply #106 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 18:58:29 »
My U80-A arrived. Milk body, silver plate, silver weight, rose plate rose weight don't seem to have defect after a quick inspection.  Will have to find time to put it together this weekend.  Have Holy Panda switches ready.

Offline shansoft

« Reply #107 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 20:28:41 »
Notice something interesting. If i have damper weight, the alpha near A keys have echos, but rest of the alpha does not. Since the damper is right in the middle of keyboard. It caused uneven key sound across the board.....

Offline timbaaa

« Reply #108 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 21:51:04 »
My U80-A arrived. Milk body, silver plate, silver weight, rose plate rose weight don't seem to have defect after a quick inspection.  Will have to find time to put it together this weekend.  Have Holy Panda switches ready.

Happy for you that no issues were present. That must be your good karma.
White with RG accents should be a beaut! I'm very curious how your combination turns out.

Notice something interesting. If i have damper weight, the alpha near A keys have echos, but rest of the alpha does not. Since the damper is right in the middle of keyboard. It caused uneven key sound across the board.....

That is a little disappointing at $45. Especially for those who bought it for what was marketed as having an "adjusted acoustic signature".
Does it come across only in quiet environments?
Which switches did you use on your build?

Offline shansoft

« Reply #109 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 00:35:54 »

Happy for you that no issues were present. That must be your good karma.
White with RG accents should be a beaut! I'm very curious how your combination turns out.

That is a little disappointing at $45. Especially for those who bought it for what was marketed as having an "adjusted acoustic signature".
Does it come across only in quiet environments?
Which switches did you use on your build?

It does sound pretty good with the damper, the problem is it only works for keys thats on top of it.
Currently using Zilent V2 67g, so the sound of THOCC is very obvious to me. I prefer to take the damper off to make it sound much more consistence.
Overall, I think with middle part taken out and having it hollow makes the board sounds really close Topre, which I really enjoy!

I currently don't have brass internal weight, so I can't really test it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 July 2020, 00:42:12 by shansoft »

Offline djchup

• i write code
« Reply #110 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 11:43:27 »
Just built mine, left arrow key doesn't function on my PCB (tried multiple switches).  Also I was shorted a screw.  -_-

Offline litster

« Reply #111 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 15:11:33 »
With the internal weight, a completed build of U80-A weights in at 4.23 kg, 9.32 lb.  As a comparison, my previously heaviest keyboard KMAC is less than 6 lb. 
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 July 2020, 14:53:52 by litster »

Offline sagarsiddhpura

« Reply #112 on: Sun, 26 July 2020, 13:53:15 »
Is there any R2 planned?

Offline litster

« Reply #113 on: Sun, 26 July 2020, 15:03:46 »
Finished. 

Offline phinix

« Reply #114 on: Sun, 26 July 2020, 15:35:35 »
Is there any R2 planned?

Yes, as soon as Rama finishes delivering first round, they will start second one.

Offline ratchetcat

« Reply #115 on: Mon, 27 July 2020, 20:11:12 »
Received my U80-A today. Build went smoothly and I'm pleased with the outcome.

Offline whiskeyjack

« Reply #116 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 10:01:57 »
Beware! Waited over a year for this and all of the screws they sent are completely wrong. Even watched their videos to confirm. Sent 4 screws for 12  holes and then didn't send any screws for the PCB attachment to the base. I now have a $1000 paperweight. Glad I waited all that time.

Offline litster

« Reply #117 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 10:05:12 »
Beware! Waited over a year for this and all of the screws they sent are completely wrong. Even watched their videos to confirm. Sent 4 screws for 12  holes and then didn't send any screws for the PCB attachment to the base. I now have a $1000 paperweight. Glad I waited all that time.

Have you contacted RAMA and did they tell you they are NOT going to send you new screws?

Offline whiskeyjack

« Reply #118 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 10:18:43 »
No I have not tried contacting them. For a company that prides themselves on quality control and doing things right, I shouldn't have to worry about screws missing. When I purchased this through Rama I expected a certain level of professionalism in the product. This isn't a $120 Leopold. Everything should have been in the box. Especially after the wait on this. I might try contacting them, but at this point I don't even care. I've lost all love for this hobby because of this.

Offline litster

« Reply #119 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 10:27:30 »
No I have not tried contacting them. For a company that prides themselves on quality control and doing things right, I shouldn't have to worry about screws missing. When I purchased this through Rama I expected a certain level of professionalism in the product. This isn't a $120 Leopold. Everything should have been in the box. Especially after the wait on this. I might try contacting them, but at this point I don't even care. I've lost all love for this hobby because of this.

If you spend $600 - $700 on a custom keyboard, waited for over a year, finally received it, found out a few screws are missing, and decided not to contact RAMA to get them to send you the screws you need, and are ready to just say "**** it" and throw the whole thing to the trash, then yeah, this hobby is not for you.  This hobby is not for five-year-olds.

Dude, they can't read your mind.  email RAMA WORKS at support@rama.works.  They will take care of you. 
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 August 2020, 10:48:58 by litster »

Offline litster

« Reply #120 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 11:12:09 »

Offline walie

« Reply #121 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 22:59:17 »
You don't attach the PCB to the base with screws...

Do you know what you're talking about.

Offline PEW272

« Reply #122 on: Thu, 13 August 2020, 22:51:39 »
Been sending in emails about my plate and weight replacement, and have not received replies for two weeks already...

Offline druck21

« Reply #123 on: Sun, 16 August 2020, 21:27:49 »
Does anyone else have issues with ping inside the case? I have 62g zilents on an aluminum moon plate and I hear a pretty annoying ringing when hitting spacebar and some other keys. I don't have the internal dampener but I see it's still in stock- would getting one fix this problem? I can't tell from the pictures if the dampener even goes down far enough to hit the spacebar area though? If not, will swapping to the brass plate help?

Offline shansoft

« Reply #124 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 04:56:40 »
Does anyone else have issues with ping inside the case? I have 62g zilents on an aluminum moon plate and I hear a pretty annoying ringing when hitting spacebar and some other keys. I don't have the internal dampener but I see it's still in stock- would getting one fix this problem? I can't tell from the pictures if the dampener even goes down far enough to hit the spacebar area though? If not, will swapping to the brass plate help?

Even with internal damper, it's going to have echo where the damper doesn't reach. That is the problem for this board, a massive echo chamber. Some might like it some might not.

Perhaps putting a thin layer foam yourself through the entire bottom of PCB might help with echo. I will try that sometime to see if it helps.

Offline AlexG

« Reply #125 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 10:18:00 »

Even with internal damper, it's going to have echo where the damper doesn't reach. That is the problem for this board, a massive echo chamber. Some might like it some might not.

Perhaps putting a thin layer foam yourself through the entire bottom of PCB might help with echo. I will try that sometime to see if it helps.

I have 0 echo on mine. Holy pandas with zeal stabs gmk caps.

Offline shansoft

« Reply #126 on: Thu, 27 August 2020, 05:19:11 »

I have 0 echo on mine. Holy pandas with zeal stabs gmk caps.

I also have tried both new Drop HP and Polar HP, and they still echo with internal damper or weight.

No way it does not echo with big empty space inside.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #127 on: Thu, 27 August 2020, 05:40:18 »

For what it's worth, the most effective way to suppress ping is to lubricate the switch springs.

Offline GeekLevelAsian

• Geek Level Asian
« Reply #128 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 10:57:26 »
For those who are experiencing ping, did you lube the switches and stabs and try bandaid mods?  I've been looking at this and the Mode80 and don't know which one I want to grab.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #129 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 22:22:23 »
Has anyone heard anything about the replacement weights recently? I sent an email back in July and I never heard anything after the initial acknowledgement and blog post about.

Offline jiggyboybrian

• Darling!
« Reply #130 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 12:16:46 »
Does anybody know a carrying case that the U80 would fit inside? I haven’t found any.

Offline litster

« Reply #131 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 12:53:47 »
Does anybody know a carrying case that the U80 would fit inside? I haven’t found any.

This is a very heavy keyboard to be lugging around.  With an internal weight it weights almost 10 pounds. 

Offline jiggyboybrian

• Darling!
« Reply #132 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 10:26:13 »

This is a very heavy keyboard to be lugging around.  With an internal weight it weights almost 10 pounds.

Yeah, It’s pretty heavy but I want the carrying case more for storage reasons, I feel like a carrying case would look nicer than a box

Offline phinix

« Reply #133 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 15:10:54 »
I hope there will be Round 3.