Author Topic: Down the Ergo road we go...  (Read 1818 times)

Offline USER9127

Down the Ergo road we go...
« on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 22:53:59 »
Hey all, just joined the community after doing a ton of research into mech keyboards and recently, trackballs. Currently using an ergodox EZ. Took me 17 versions, but finally got the keys and layers to where I love them, and typing speed has increased from 40s to 70 over the last two weeks of practice. Also, the mechKB community rocks.

Just wanted to say, thanks for being a friendly community to new members. Also, apparently I have to watch my wallet around you guys. This site seems to show me many things that... somehow make my money disappear? So strange... ;D

Offline swangful

Re: Down the Ergo road we go...
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 19:01:13 »
Hey all, just joined the community after doing a ton of research into mech keyboards and recently, trackballs. Currently using an ergodox EZ. Took me 17 versions, but finally got the keys and layers to where I love them, and typing speed has increased from 40s to 70 over the last two weeks of practice. Also, the mechKB community rocks.

Just wanted to say, thanks for being a friendly community to new members. Also, apparently I have to watch my wallet around you guys. This site seems to show me many things that... somehow make my money disappear? So strange... ;D

Welcome :D

I have several coworkers also using ergodoxs and I have no idea how they use them. Did it take you long to get accustomed to using one? Are you also a PC gamer? It would throw me off immensely using one to game (if thats even reasonable).

Offline USER9127

Re: Down the Ergo road we go...
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 09:40:38 »

I have several coworkers also using ergodoxs and I have no idea how they use them. Did it take you long to get accustomed to using one? Are you also a PC gamer? It would throw me off immensely using one to game (if thats even reasonable).
I game very occasionally, but I am a developer (java/proprietary languages) and it took about 2 weeks to get my typing speed up to 65wpm. It was super frustrating at first, but then I really embraced the customization of the layers.

I found a guy who posted a modified colemak layout, and while I still prefer qwerty for my base, I adopted his use of momentary layers for symbols. Rebuilt my speed using keyhero, and trying to push through 70wpm@98% accuracy.

As for gaming, I created a gaming layer! Same idea as people who have a dedicated left hand gamepad to game. When I need to type qwerty in game, just toggle qwerty, and then return to gaming layer.

Things I would change.... Replace all keys with standard 1U sized keys. It would make getting keycaps WAY easier. Also, stagger the ortholinear layout more for my larger hands. Finally, I would do a single cut top plate instead of the inset abs case the EZ is in. I prefer exposed keys, even if that makes it more fragile.

Oh, and if deciding between the printed keycaps and the blank sculpted from the egrodox EZ site, get the blanks. No worry then about changing layouts.