Author Topic: Where's a good spot to get unique *tall* numpad keycaps?  (Read 1286 times)

Offline Volny

Where's a good spot to get unique *tall* numpad keycaps?
« on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 18:17:57 »
I recently remapped my numpad to the F keys. I realised that I rarely used the numpad because whenever I need to type a lot of numbers it's usually in the context of coding, so I also need access to alphas and keys like $"%(), which also happen to be annoying to type. So I've also remapped the top F row to single-shot (ie. no need to press shift) versions of */()$"&%{}, to speed up the pressing of those often-used characters. So far it's been great. The F keys work really nicely in the numpad - they slot into the familiar 123/456/789 layout (F10-F12 go in place of numlock, / and *) so they feel very natural. And all the ones I press the most often (F2, F5, F1, F4) are near the bottom, at a much handier location than ever before.

I now have a few orphaned numpad keys though, including the 2u zero and the 2u plus, which are both in prime real estate positions, so I'd like to remap them to something useful. Not sure what yet. Maybe to one of the shortcuts that I frequently use like Ctrl-Shift-F (advanced find function in one of the programs I use) or Ctrl-Shift-L (create a new group in Photoshop and other programs). But whatever I map them to, I'll need sensibly chosen keycaps to help me remember the new mappings.

In the past, I've gotten creative with finding novelty/artisan/icon keycaps for my remappings. For example, I've got a key on my macropad that minimises the current window, with a keycap like this (it's technically an "insert" keycap but works perfectly for minimise):

I've also remapped my "Fn" key to an autohotkey script that immediately searches google with whatever text is selected. A loupe symbol would have been good, but I couldn't find one. But this Mario novelty keycap does the job. The ? symbol is apt, and the unique styling separates it sufficiently from the modifier keys on either side of it and from the /? key just above it:

But it's been a lot harder to find any promising keycaps in the 2u zero or 2u plus format, especially the latter. I've only seen the tall plus key referred to as a 2u, but when I search for 2u on store sites, the results are almost exclusively horizontal ones (eg. shift, backspace etc.) Or if I do find a vertical 2u key, it usually has a picture of an anime character on it, which does me no good.

Does anyone know of a good place where I could look for icon/symbol vertical 2u caps? Or perhaps a better search term that I could use? Or maybe a particular brand/designer that does lots of novelty numpad keys?

Thanks