Author Topic: Error in EPBT "less but better" international keycaps set  (Read 3879 times)

Offline glibber

Error in EPBT "less but better" international keycaps set
« on: Mon, 29 March 2021, 14:54:45 »
Hi all,

I've been eyeing this set, wanting to build an ISO-DE layout with it. From what I've seen, this one hasn't been produced before.

However, from what you can see in the renders, there seems to be an error in the international kit.
It can be found here for example:

https://candykeys.com/product/epbt-less-but-better-international-kit

The "ß" key has the "*" on it as the shift option, while "+" has the "?". It should however be the other way around usually.
Check here for reference (German should be the only layout that uses the "ß" key):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_keyboard_layout#/media/File:KB_Germany.svg

Is it likely that this error will make it into production?
Does anybody know if the designer (Openkey Design), the manufacturer, or anybody else in connection with this is active on here?
I'd love if this could get fixed before production. Also feel free to tell me if I'm being delusional about this :-[

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Error in EPBT "less but better" international keycaps set
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 29 March 2021, 15:21:03 »
Here's the Interest Check posted by openkeydesign, they haven't logged in for over a month so probably best to PM them but if it's already for sale it may be too late (though production doesn't usually start until after orders close so it's worth a try)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline glibber

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 29 March 2021, 15:38:57 »
Thanks a lot, wasn't able to find that through the search for some reason...

But ouch, it does seem like the IC process wasn't entirely well received, I might overthink my choice.

The set is currently in GB/preorder until 15th of April, so I guess I'll see if there will be any changes possible still.

Offline DwieDave

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 09:49:18 »
Hello,
I joined the GB on the EU vendor CandyKeys and
also contacted them because of a question regarding the sets base color.
I mentioned the GeekHack Thread and that OpenKeyDesigns are not responding to any of the replies and feedback on here.
They said that as far as they know everything considering the production of this set is handled by kbdfans.
I tried to contact kbdfans as well but did not get any reply regarding this set.

I am looking to build a Keyboard with ISO-DE Layout and if the alignment will be off
and the color really that yellow-ish  I think I'll sadly will try to get a refund.

Cheers,
Dave

Offline glibber

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 10:57:46 »
I have tried to PM the designer on here, but haven't received a response yet (and don't think I will).
Sadly it seems like cancelling your order is the only option if the messed up legends bother you :(

Offline DwieDave

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 11:59:07 »
In the current Newsletter of EU vendor CandyKeys they stated:

We are aware there were some issues with the International Kit on this set,
this has now been remedied to the set pictured below.

266519-0

Offline glibber

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 15:08:34 »
That is great news, at least the vendors seem to pay some attention to the kit - the original creator was never heard from again sadly.

Offline DwieDave

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 03:55:16 »
If it wasn't for that notice I would've tried to drop out but now I will give this kit a shot.
I hope openKeyDesign will learn from this GB and will appreciate community feedback more in the future!

Offline glibber

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 07:55:27 »
It's a very good looking design for sure, but I still decided to stay away from it, seeing how the IC was handled and how concerns regarding manufacturing have never been adressed. Also the white was a bit too dark/beige-ish for me.

I'm still looking forward to seeing how it turns out when people get it.