Author Topic: Two questions about "proper" typing technique  (Read 4637 times)

Offline shrubkeys

Two questions about "proper" typing technique
« on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 12:14:37 »
I've been using a modified QWERTY for some time - whether from deliberate choice or just a result of incremental/evolutionary finger migration, the changes help to make up for what I feel are deficiencies in the layout. Recently, though, I've been wondering if the reason I thought that QWERTY needed "fixes"...was that I was doing something wrong in the first place. And the instructional Youtube videos I've turned up all use either (a) Asians/women with tiny hands, (b) cutaways when they demonstrate the exact thing I'm looking for, or (c) both. So I turn to you, master typists, to explain to me:

1. With your hands in the classic "home" position, why aren't your thumbs too close together?

2. When typing on the bottom alphanumeric row - "x" is a good example - unless you shift your whole wrist/hand, don't you end up hitting the key with the top/side of your finger?

I have large hands, but they're not *that* freakish. And while I'm already a fan of say, separating your hands such that the "thumb" thing wouldn't even come up - I'd like to understand first what it is the lobby of Big QWERTY would have me do.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 May 2016, 12:16:16 by shrubkeys »

Offline HeeCh2ei

• qdrw
Re: Two questions about "proper" typing technique
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 11:51:21 »
I've been using a modified QWERTY for some time - whether from deliberate choice or just a result of incremental/evolutionary finger migration, the changes help to make up for what I feel are deficiencies in the layout. Recently, though, I've been wondering if the reason I thought that QWERTY needed "fixes"...was that I was doing something wrong in the first place. And the instructional Youtube videos I've turned up all use either (a) Asians/women with tiny hands, (b) cutaways when they demonstrate the exact thing I'm looking for, or (c) both. So I turn to you, master typists, to explain to me:

1. With your hands in the classic "home" position, why aren't your thumbs too close together?

2. When typing on the bottom alphanumeric row - "x" is a good example - unless you shift your whole wrist/hand, don't you end up hitting the key with the top/side of your finger?

I have large hands, but they're not *that* freakish. And while I'm already a fan of say, separating your hands such that the "thumb" thing wouldn't even come up - I'd like to understand first what it is the lobby of Big QWERTY would have me do.

1 - If relaxed they just laying on the spacebar below the V and N keys. While typing I hold my right thumb close to the index finger and left thumb presses the spacebar.
2 - When typing I move my hands, but it possible to press the X key without moving anything but a ring finger.
Cherry is the Maker, Topre is the God

FC660C             FC750R (reds)     FC750R (blues)