Author Topic: DSA Left Shift  (Read 1252 times)

Offline blastoid

DSA Left Shift
« on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 10:13:22 »
Many GHers are very passionate about their key profiles. DSA seems to be a particularly polarizing option.

Personally, I don't have a problem. I suppose DSA is nominally less comfortable to type on than a sculpted profile, but I find it much more aesthetically pleasing and am willing to trade one for the other.

Except for the pesky left shift. Now, while I'm an avid touch-typist, I never "properly" learned to double-hand certain things. I always shift with my left pinky and always space with my right thumb. But for some reason, with the spherical top of the DSA keys, I have a lot of trouble with the left shift. I feel like it's much more difficult to press. I generally hit the extreme right edge of the key, and since that's the edge of the dish on a spherical top, maybe it's too contoured for my finger to sit comfortably? I can't really pinpoint the cause, I just know that I find the key to be very uncomfortable, which is disconcerting having dropped $175 on a DSA Granite set that's yet to ship.

I'm also concerned about SA. I'm about to drop an order on both SA Retro and Modern Selectric, and Jukebox is way too gorgeous to pass up. But if they're uncomfortable to type on, it kind of defeats the purpose.

Anybody else have issues with DSA Left Shift?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: DSA Left Shift
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 21:31:35 »
For the short while that I used DSA, no problems at all.

And while using SA uniform profile (similar to DSA but taller keycaps) no problems either.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tbc

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 21:37:27 »
dsa is unbelievably sick on a flat board.  not SHALLOW, literally 0 degrees.

as much as i love the affordability and looks of dsa, i find it rather hard to use on my 11 degree octagon.

you might try a dcs lshift key?  dsa and dcs actually mix together pretty well
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline blastoid

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 10:38:10 »
Hmm, interesting.

I don't have a flat board, but I just stuck a Bic pen under the front edge of my Pok3r and it works well. I'll leave it like this today, maybe I'll look into a flat case for it.

Thanks!