Author Topic: Kailh Choc keycaps?  (Read 3201 times)

Offline vanquishings

Kailh Choc keycaps?
« on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 23:02:24 »
Any baller 3d printers that have made any decent choc keycaps?

Working on a handwired build with these for couch surfing, and I'm desperately in need of a 1.75U choc keycap. I'm not sure they exist. But I've seen just about every other width.

Would be more than willing to toss a few bones if someone handy in design could whip up an STL for me to print off.

Or if you know someone who has the files out there, send me their way.

Thanks.

Offline fpazos

Re: Kailh Choc keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 23 February 2021, 00:45:12 »
These aren't difficult to find https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=Kailh+choc&type=things&sort=relevant

Just play with the horizontal expansion on your slicer program to find the perfect fit.

Edit: just forget to say that these keycaps stems are quite fragile. Try not to change them.  Use tweezers if a stem breaks.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 February 2021, 00:58:42 by fpazos »

Offline vanquishings

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 23 February 2021, 15:21:44 »
These aren't difficult to find https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=Kailh+choc&type=things&sort=relevant

Just play with the horizontal expansion on your slicer program to find the perfect fit.

Edit: just forget to say that these keycaps stems are quite fragile. Try not to change them.  Use tweezers if a stem breaks.

I appreciate the reply! I had already looked there, actually. I was hoping I'd luck out and find someone that's done a 1.75U key, already. As I'm dreadfully unable to design much of anything. Totally inept levels. It's bad.

I'll take another look and see if I can get lucky before I start trying to understand slicer programs and horizontal expansion values...  :-[

Offline fpazos

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 24 February 2021, 01:07:39 »
Since 1.75u keycaps havent stabs it is quite easy to modify a design. For modifying stl files I use Blender which is free (edit mode, select the vertex and move them).
If you own a 3d printer I encourage you to learn the basics of both, a cad and poligonal 3d program. Really you wouldn't need to learn a lot and you'll be able to design a lot of useful stuff for you. If something breaks, use a cheap caliper, meassure, copy and print.

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 7 mediante Tapatalk

Offline ice9js

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 27 February 2021, 09:27:19 »
Do you need it for choc 18x17 or standard 19x19 key spacing? I have designs ready for a full set of choc keycaps in 19x19 spacing.
I haven't gotten to printing and testing them yet (don't own a printer myself and currently busy on other parts of the project) but if you're willing to give it a go I guess I'd be willing to send an stl your way in return for some feedback.

Offline vanquishings

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 27 February 2021, 21:27:14 »
Since 1.75u keycaps havent stabs it is quite easy to modify a design. For modifying stl files I use Blender which is free (edit mode, select the vertex and move them).
If you own a 3d printer I encourage you to learn the basics of both, a cad and poligonal 3d program. Really you wouldn't need to learn a lot and you'll be able to design a lot of useful stuff for you. If something breaks, use a cheap caliper, meassure, copy and print.

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 7 mediante Tapatalk

I might have to download Blender and try following your advice! Problem is, I don't own a 3d printer. So prototyping is costly and time consuming. I was hoping I could luck out and someone else has done something similar and wouldn't mind sharing a file for some cash just to save myself the headache.

Do you need it for choc 18x17 or standard 19x19 key spacing? I have designs ready for a full set of choc keycaps in 19x19 spacing.
I haven't gotten to printing and testing them yet (don't own a printer myself and currently busy on other parts of the project) but if you're willing to give it a go I guess I'd be willing to send an stl your way in return for some feedback.

Honestly, I'd take whatever I could get! I haven't had the plate cut just yet, so I'm flexible. To be quite honest, I haven't seen photos comparing the two spacings, so I'm not sure which looks better.

I don't have a printer, but I'd be happy to get a few printed and give you feedback. I was just going to go to shapeways or something similar. I don't mind being the guinea pig. I'd rather that than have a mis-sized switch just hanging out on one side.  :))

Offline fpazos

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 28 February 2021, 04:12:15 »
I might have to download Blender and try following your advice! Problem is, I don't own a 3d printer. So prototyping is costly and time consuming. I was hoping I could luck out and someone else has done something similar and wouldn't mind sharing a file for some cash just to save myself the headache.

Sorry, thought you had one. Hold my beer: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j-pL2kgVzpkMUXX-6y67LKMijTeUvPe7/view?usp=sharing It may not have the exacts dimensions of 1.75u but it has one great and bad thing. It is completely flat, due this it is very easy to print it upside down. It has a good thickness to print.
That's based on a model I made for a handwired viterbi (the keys with strange simbols)

It integrates quite good with kailhs keycaps despite these are estandar 19x19.

EDIT: If you don't own a printer, is quite posible that learning 3D modeling isn't worth it, despite working a lot on printing and modeling keeb related things, that's not even half the work of my 3d printer.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 February 2021, 04:23:34 by fpazos »

Offline vanquishings

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 28 February 2021, 18:22:30 »

Sorry, thought you had one. Hold my beer: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j-pL2kgVzpkMUXX-6y67LKMijTeUvPe7/view?usp=sharing It may not have the exacts dimensions of 1.75u but it has one great and bad thing. It is completely flat, due this it is very easy to print it upside down. It has a good thickness to print.
That's based on a model I made for a handwired viterbi (the keys with strange simbols)
Show Image

It integrates quite good with kailhs keycaps despite these are estandar 19x19.

EDIT: If you don't own a printer, is quite posible that learning 3D modeling isn't worth it, despite working a lot on printing and modeling keeb related things, that's not even half the work of my 3d printer.

I probably should have mentioned I don't have a printer in my OP, sorry about that. But you're exactly right. The learning curve seems steep, and while it's not impossible, I'm just not sure it's something I should get into, considering how little I've really needed 3d printed parts. Thingiverse has been great to me when it comes to unique parts I need and I've had great luck just finding files and having them work. I could probably get into designing cases for my handwired builds, but I don't mind sandwich enclosures, and if I made something, it'd be a one-off anyways...

That being said, thank you SO much for the stl file. I'll definitely have it made and get back to you. I don't mind it being flat at all. I'm not too picky, anything that isn't a 1u in a 1.75u space is juuuuust fine by me! Those keys look great, especially with the legends! Thanks again for the major help!

@ice9js I'll still take your files, if you want some feedback. Could toss them in with fpazos file and try them both out!

Offline ice9js

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 01:06:46 »
Sure, so what sizes do you want? Just a 1.75U? Or should I throw in some others as well?

Offline vanquishings

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 16:00:13 »
Sure, so what sizes do you want? Just a 1.75U? Or should I throw in some others as well?

I need a 1.25 and 1.5 that I was gonna cannibalize off a choc set, but I'd be happy to try whatever you feel like sharing!

Offline ice9js

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 03:04:28 »
I need a 1.25 and 1.5 that I was gonna cannibalize off a choc set, but I'd be happy to try whatever you feel like sharing!

Cool. I believe I sent you a PM with a link, let me know if there's any issues :)

Offline vanquishings

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 06:00:08 »

Cool. I believe I sent you a PM with a link, let me know if there's any issues :)

PM replied!  :thumb: