Author Topic: A review of the HHKB  (Read 7029 times)

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
A review of the HHKB
« on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 04:47:03 »
HHKB review

Introduction

For those of you who are not familiar with the HHKB. The HHKB is a minimalistic keyboard and uses Topre switches. Keys which are less frequently used(and in good postitions) are moved to function layers or harder to reach positions.

Layout

Lets start with the control button. The control button have moved to the capslock position and the capslock has been moved to fn+tab. As a usual tenkeyless keyboard user i usually replace capslock with either backspace or escape(vim).
So i was not unfamiliar with having capslock replaced. However having the control button moved to this position still needed some getting used to.
I was constanly hitting shift instead of control when for example i wanted to save my code or text in a document, which you can imagine lead to some compilation errors and a bunch of capital S:s in my documents.

After a while, i got used to this, but cant say im completly sold on the position. I would much rather have backspace/escape on this position.
And have the ctrl button else where, either replace one of the command buttons with control or have a simple 60% layout.

The delete button got changed to Backspace directly(lite mode). I dont often use the delete button, in vim i use the native commands and i only use delete when im logging into my computer.
Backspace i use more frequently for example when chatting and when using vim. Lite mode also changes the command buttons to windows buttons, with another dip siwtch i changed the left command button to be another function button.

I can honestly say i have still not getting used to the alt and the right function button. I cant seem to reach them without abnormal effort, as for the alt buttons im not sure if i should use the little finger or my thumb.
As for the right function button it is simply just too far away. So i am only using it for the delete button(when im loggin in) otherwise im using my left command as a function button.
Maybe its not thought of using while keeping your hands in the typing poisiton, i get that you can have your little finger on the function button and then use lets say the arrow keys.
But im using my little finger for the arrow keys when i need them and my left thumb on the left command.

Switches

My history trying switches involves trying all kinds of variaties of mx switches and some alps. I was able to borrow a colleagues realforce and then decided to buy the HHKB.

The HHKB uses Topre switches, topre switches are a unique type of ELctrostatic Capacitve Switches

which work in the following manner:

(image borrowed from elite keyboards)

As per preference of all my testing of switches i must say that topre is top 5 in my book, the tactile feedback is marvelous and i must say the rubberdomeish feeling. Kind of reminds me a little of Keytronic Ergo Force.
Which was a popularized gaming keyboard in my day. The sound to me is perfect of clack and thomp. Im not perticularly found of keyboards without sound. The sound is a big amount of the experience.

All in all im happy with my HHKB and will not sell it in a forseen future. Im currently using it at work(where i do most of my keyboarding.) but it will soon be replaced by my upcoming LZ-FE Another review coming i guess :) Im behind in the reviewing department. And will try to do some more.

Offline jukaduke1184

Re: A review of the HHKB
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 21:25:02 »
I actually bought this twice and sold it twice. While the Topre switches are awesome, the form factor and weight didn't suit me in the end.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 21:42:10 »
I actually bought this twice and sold it twice. While the Topre switches are awesome, the form factor and weight didn't suit me in the end.

The (low) weight is part of its appeal, but granted that the layout is not for everyone.

Still, with a little practice, one can become accustomed to it ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 21:57:22 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 August 2015, 08:09:30 by esoomenona »

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 21:59:52 »
I need to get another one again. As far as 60% goes, best layout there is, and the weight of it is amazing. My Duck Viper is probably at least 5x the weight of it. HHKB was definitely my favorite board to use at school compared to my Poker & Ergodox.

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 02:06:41 »
I recently got in touch with tmk firmware.
Now I need to get me a hasu controller to the hhkb, it will change the game!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 20:19:28 »
A review of the HHKB:

G.O.A.T.

Spot on
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 19:55:18 »

What made you buy it the second time around?
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline TieuNgu

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 13:18:13 »
I read up about the hasu controller but still couldn't get what it does. Do you mind ELI5?

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 08:53:29 »
I read up about the hasu controller but still couldn't get what it does. Do you mind ELI5?

Allows you to program the board. So you can reassign the function keys, or the regular keys or what have you.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 08:56:48 »

The main point is that you can get TMK software into your hhkb making it highly customizable. Having multiple functionlayers, using it as a mouse etc.

Offline TieuNgu

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 19:05:27 »

The main point is that you can get TMK software into your hhkb making it highly customizable. Having multiple functionlayers, using it as a mouse etc.
Wait that does sound pretty good. Also what's the deal with the battery on this controller?

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 09:25:24 »

Wait that does sound pretty good. Also what's the deal with the battery on this controller?

Have no idea, have not gotten the controller yet. more what i did was i adopted all my other keyboard to similar layout as hhkb :)

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 10:15:51 »

Battery is only needed if going with the Bluetooth module. You know. So you don't have to have a power cable running to it :)

Otherwise, the BT controller sans battery works exactly like the standard controller when plugged in.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r