Author Topic: Keyed Up Labs KUL ES-87 with MX Clears  (Read 117061 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Keyed Up Labs KUL ES-87 with MX Clears
« Reply #350 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 21:55:16 »
hi guys,

i have bin using my KUL ES-87 on and of for two months now. Switching up with my Leopold FC6600M (also with clears).

When i switch back to my Kul i notice the pinging noise and i which i could do something to minimise it..
i'm using thick pbt keycaps (from mass drop) and blue o-rings.

And still i hear that nasty ping noise..Also when i rub my hand over the keyboard it resonates.
i do like the board. so i do want to keep it..

Here a youtube vid i made..Trying to get the pinging noise to register from my smartphone camera..
hope that helps..

If some one has a solution that would help that would be awesome..don't know how to solder (yet).
i'm just a newbie in the world of mechanical keyboards..  :thumb:

Thanks guys..

I asked about resolving ping in a CODE with MX clears in this thread.  There's a few suggestions there, mostly lubing the springs though.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline DukeMugen

• +1
« Reply #351 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 02:52:08 »
after 6 months of use, the ping on my kul es87 is getting louder and louder. its getting annoying.
im thinking of making a custom acryllic case for this, maybe that will solve the issue.
let me check my wallet.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #352 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 04:13:43 »
after 6 months of use, the ping on my kul es87 is getting louder and louder. its getting annoying.
im thinking of making a custom acryllic case for this, maybe that will solve the issue.

FWIW the ping on my CODE seems to be getting quieter.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Altis

« Reply #353 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 17:00:40 »

Take the board out of the case and try typing on it -- if it still pings, the case won't help.

I tried it with mine before I swapped for Zealios switches and it still did it. The 62g Zealios don't do it nearly as much. The ping was enough to drive me mental with the stock MX Clear switches.

The ping sounded exactly the same as the crowbar sound in Half Life, strangely enough...
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #354 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 21:58:13 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:41:52 by alienman82 »

Offline DukeMugen

• +1
« Reply #355 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 00:06:23 »

Take the board out of the case and try typing on it -- if it still pings, the case won't help.

I tried it with mine before I swapped for Zealios switches and it still did it. The 62g Zealios don't do it nearly as much. The ping was enough to drive me mental with the stock MX Clear switches.

The ping sounded exactly the same as the crowbar sound in Half Life, strangely enough...
I tried that, the ping is coming from the plate itself. So right now i'm starting to do an acrylic plate and case. Hoepfully it works.
let me check my wallet.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #356 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 05:35:14 »

I tried that, the ping is coming from the plate itself. So right now i'm starting to do an acrylic plate and case. Hoepfully it works.

I'm typing on my ES-87 with Clears since June day-in-day-out (8-10 hours of coding and writing papers). I guess I'm lucky, but I have almost no ping. And the ping there is - I believe - comes from my springs. It is very very subtle. I only notice it when I hit spacebar or enter really hard but not for the other keys (my OCD made me test every key repeatedly). When I tap the plate or the case, I hear nothing. Only when I actuate the keyes and bottom them out.

Must say I was worried before ordering, hesitated between the KUL and the CODE but the amount of ping issues with the CODE eventually drove me to the KUL.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline HighPlainsDrafter

« Reply #357 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 01:40:44 »
I don't hear any ping except for a bit when I hit the spacebar. However, I placed my ES-87 in a recessed (pull-out) keyboard tray, which may be slightly dampening its sound.
BTW am enjoying my first week with this board and its mx clears: increased typing accuracy and so far, no major fatigue on my fingers. I'm interested in possibly replacing the keycaps just to increase the quality of the overall experience, but not sure with what.
Previous board: matias tactile pro 4, which I initially liked, but ultimately found the keystroke too light.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 March 2016, 01:42:30 by HighPlainsDrafter »

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #358 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 08:24:34 »
I don't hear any ping except for a bit when I hit the spacebar. However, I placed my ES-87 in a recessed (pull-out) keyboard tray, which may be slightly dampening its sound.
BTW am enjoying my first week with this board and its mx clears: increased typing accuracy and so far, no major fatigue on my fingers. I'm interested in possibly replacing the keycaps just to increase the quality of the overall experience, but not sure with what.
Previous board: matias tactile pro 4, which I initially liked, but ultimately found the keystroke too light.

I love my KUL With clears. But the stock caps suck IMHO. They started to shine and wear off in like 2-3 weeks or so. But I swap them out for thick PBTs anyway.

Offline HighPlainsDrafter

« Reply #359 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 03:16:23 »
Why doesn't someone create a Massdrop of a run of spherical keycaps (like the ones on IBM beam spring keyboards)? Is the spacing on modern keyboards too small, or other reason? Would spherical typewriter-like keycaps just not feel right on MX switches? Seen a couple of recent customized keycaps which have fonts like some old typewriters, but the caps aren't spherical.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 April 2016, 03:18:06 by HighPlainsDrafter »

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #360 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 03:33:12 »
Why doesn't someone create a Massdrop of a run of spherical keycaps (like the ones on IBM beam spring keyboards)? Is the spacing on modern keyboards too small, or other reason? Would spherical typewriter-like keycaps just not feel right on MX switches? Seen a couple of recent customized keycaps which have fonts like some old typewriters, but the caps aren't spherical.

Would buy instantly. Great idea!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #361 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 06:00:41 »

You mean SA sets?

There have been a few such group buys, and probably a Massdrop drop or two.

Or DSA?  They are also spherical.  A few Massdrops for DSA sets too.

Offline TheInverseKey

• You can run but you cannot hide!
« Reply #362 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 09:53:30 »
Good review!

After going through looking at many different companies that make TKL keyboards I thought that is would be a good pick.   Boy was I wrong!  The keyboard that was sent to me off of elite keyboards made this loud pinging sound from when you moved the feet to every key stroke.  I am now returning the keyboard because of this issue. I know that some people think that pinging is not an issue but when it is this bad I have to say poor QC.

Below is an example of just the flip up feet that make the board ping.  Also remember that every time you press a key it makes the same noise.

Kul ES-87 owners.
I need some additional data to determine if this is normal

1) Does your keyboard resonate with the back plate and produce a ring when you type? Would you characterize it as normal or excessive?
2) Does any type of back plate resonance occur when you flip the keyboard feet (like so -
- you might need to turn up your volume) or perform any normal action which applies force to your entire keyboard?
3) Does your board have excessive back plate resonance?

Thanks

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #363 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 09:57:36 »
Good review!

After going through looking at many different companies that make TKL keyboards I thought that is would be a good pick.   Boy was I wrong!  The keyboard that was sent to me off of elite keyboards made this loud pinging sound from when you moved the feet to every key stroke.  I am now returning the keyboard because of this issue. I know that some people think that pinging is not an issue but when it is this bad I have to say poor QC.

Below is an example of just the flip up feet that make the board ping.  Also remember that every time you press a key it makes the same noise.

Kul ES-87 owners.
I need some additional data to determine if this is normal

1) Does your keyboard resonate with the back plate and produce a ring when you type? Would you characterize it as normal or excessive?
2) Does any type of back plate resonance occur when you flip the keyboard feet (like so -
- you might need to turn up your volume) or perform any normal action which applies force to your entire keyboard?
3) Does your board have excessive back plate resonance?

Thanks

I've just tried it with my KUL with Clears... I don't have this ping. I must be among the lucky then..

Offline TheInverseKey

« Reply #364 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 10:19:46 »
I've just tried it with my KUL with Clears... I don't have this ping. I must be among the lucky then..

You must be.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #365 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 11:20:48 »

You must be.

Are you gonna try another KUL or are you done with that board now?

Offline TheInverseKey

« Reply #366 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 17:55:11 »

You must be.

I have fixed the pinging issue with a small amount of time but it does make you void your warranty.  Simply put I have to take the whole keyboard apart and insert foam and rubber non slick pads to make the noise disappear. Also, the keyboard now sounds better than any other keyboard that I own.  I suggest doing this mod if you want to make it super quite. I will have pictures next week.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #367 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 17:59:38 »

You must be.

I have fixed the pinging issue with a small amount of time but it does make you void your warranty.  Simply put I have to take the whole keyboard apart and insert foam and rubber non slick pads to make the noise disappear. Also, the keyboard now sounds better than any other keyboard that I own.  I suggest doing this mod if you want to make it super quite. I will have pictures next week.

Cool, what kind of foam did you use?

I'm looking forward to the pictures!

Apart from the ping, I hope you really enjoy the board. I have mine almost over a year now and it is a very solid board.

Offline TheInverseKey

« Reply #368 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 18:12:00 »

You must be.

Yeah it weight a ton.

Apart from the ping, I hope you really enjoy the board. I have mine almost over a year now and it is a very solid board.

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #369 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 21:43:18 »

You must be.

Yeah it weight a ton.

This should be interesting. It may just be something that we have to do ourselves since it would likely make boards more expensive. I'd rather have best overall case design for a reasonable price and then add modular extras like good caps and insulation, instead of having that entire package, and it be a mediocre one, for a slightly higher price.

Of course, ideally I want a keyboard with no issues at all, but competition is so fierce that I can't see how mainstream ~$200 boards would be able to make it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 April 2016, 21:49:10 by ThoughtArtist »

Offline TheInverseKey

« Reply #370 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 14:14:21 »

You must be.

Yeah it weight a ton.

This should be interesting. It may just be something that we have to do ourselves since it would likely make boards more expensive. I'd rather have best overall case design for a reasonable price and then add modular extras like good caps and insulation, instead of having that entire package, and it be a mediocre one, for a slightly higher price.

Of course, ideally I want a keyboard with no issues at all, but competition is so fierce that I can't see how mainstream ~$200 boards would be able to make it.

Here is my review and how to reduce the pinging niose.

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #371 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 18:37:52 »
Thanks for the vid! I may try this at some point.

It would be interesting to compare the plate thickness of the ES-87 with the Varmilo VA87MN. I have both boards side-by-side (with MX Browns) and I can confirm that the KUL has more resonation, but I am not sure if that is due to the plate itself or the build. The Varmilo is lighter, but it is more compact as well.

That being said, the Ducky One TKL (MX Browns) is, by far, louder than both the ES-87 and VA87MN.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 April 2016, 18:43:40 by ThoughtArtist »

Offline TheInverseKey

« Reply #372 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 01:20:22 »
Thanks for the vid! I may try this at some point.

It would be interesting to compare the plate thickness of the ES-87 with the Varmilo VA87MN. I have both boards side-by-side (with MX Browns) and I can confirm that the KUL has more resonation, but I am not sure if that is due to the plate itself or the build. The Varmilo is lighter, but it is more compact as well.

That being said, the Ducky One TKL (MX Browns) is, by far, louder than both the ES-87 and VA87MN.

No problem hope this works.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #373 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 13:44:32 »

I actually like modding my boards a bit. Gives me the feeling that I have the true endgame perfect board once I am done with it. Like building a PC: similar specs, but different brands, components, cable routing etc. Gives me pleasure.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #374 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 13:46:05 »
Just watched the video... interesting that this reduces ping. I have those mats... time to try it out. But I actually want those really thick soft rubber mats that are really heavy. I expect that will absorb sounds much better, yes? Or is this textured surface better for sound absorption?

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #375 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 18:10:33 »

I actually like modding my boards a bit. Gives me the feeling that I have the true endgame perfect board once I am done with it. Like building a PC: similar specs, but different brands, components, cable routing etc. Gives me pleasure.

I build my own computers as well. I actually combined a Lian Li and LanCool case just to get what I wanted. I feel like I finally got close to my ideal mid-tower (after an Athlon 64 build and a Core 2 Quad build). I had to go with a steel frame from the Lancool because, speaking of sound dampening, the aluminum frame resonated sound too much!

« Last Edit: Tue, 26 April 2016, 16:16:35 by ThoughtArtist »

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #376 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 12:10:13 »

I build my own computers as well. I actually combined a Lian Li and LanCool case just to get what I wanted. I feel like I finally got close to my ideal mid-tower (after an Athlon 64 build and a Core 2 Quad build). I had to go with a steel frame from the Lancool because, speaking of sound dampening, the aluminum frame resonated sound too much!

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

That looks really cool man! Is that with the side panel off? Or is it just see through glass / perspex?