Author Topic: [IC] Fluxon, a QMK/VIA-compatible Vortex Core replacement PCB  (Read 7218 times)

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub

Fluxon. The quantum of magnetic fields. In SIS (superconductor-insulator-superconductor) junctions, a Fluxon manifests as a Josephon Vortex (a vortex of circulating supercurrents). In T2 Superconductors, a Fluxon manifests as a Abrikosov Vortex, or a small normal circulation of supercurrents around the normal core of a superconducting phase.

Introduction

Hi there guys!

Gondo her again for (yet) another PCB.

Nothing special about this, no huge wall of text with detailed technical description of how I came up with a horrendously complicated result (phew! Quakemz approves) and no big takes. I just have a Vortex Core which is a wonderful keyboard, specially for the price. It's portable, very usable, nice look and construction, but I am honestly done with trying to type portuguese on it; as you guys might know, to type in portuguese we need some accents and special characters like the grave ~ and cedilla ç. I have to use a four-key combination for both which looks like I'm conjuring a ninjutsu and releasing a demon samurai out of my desk. Programmability on the VCore is close to nonexistant (yeah I know you can re-program it but it's horrible).

The ATOM47 PCB is not available to purchase, so I'm making this one. It is gonna happen one way or the other, so I thought why not check if people are interested in this. The PCB is almost done; files can be seen at https://github.com/AcheronProject/Fluxon .

Layouts

Another big issue (in my opinion) is the default layout. The 175-275 split spacebar bottom row is less-than-stellar to use and let's face it, no one needs three modifiers to use their keyboard (maybe someone does? No idea). So I included a 6.25u and a 7u layout too. Also offering a full 2.25u right shift and a 2u backspace.

The idea is to also offer replacement FR4/steel plates that cover these new layouts.

When, where, how much

Prototyping right now, if we go into GB phase it's gonna happen in 2 months in SpaceCat aka Weltraumkatze Designs for something around 40-50 USD (can be lower)

Other characteristics

• In the place of the colored indicators the VCore has I put three SK6812-minis which can be used with QMK as layer indicators, lock indicators, or simply pretty lights.
  • No LEDs. I don't need it, you don't need it, Vortex don't need it.
  • ARM processor, ESD protection, open-source.
  • Micro USB connector because that is all the case supports (I know it sucks, but a USBC won't fit)
  • Dank-ass synthwave-inspired logo, dank-ass solid state physics-inspired name, nerdy designer and beautiful vendor (the best interaction between Brazil and Germany since the World Cup 7x1)

Early previews

TLDR and closing thoughts

• Vortex Core replacement PCB using ARM, QMK, VIA, ESD, micro USB, RGB indicators, and all those acronyms we love.
  • Need to know if there are people in for this. I'm gonna design and make this anyway
  • Aiming at 40USD, possible GB in 2 months time
  • Mom told me she learned of my name in the community, that she reads all my ICs/GBs and she's proud. So just for you, I love you mom.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 June 2020, 17:54:25 by Gondolindrim »
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline walletburner

• Formerly wokechill
Re: [IC] Fluxon, a QMK/VIA-compatible Vortex Core replacement PCB
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 17:38:07 »
hell yeah  :thumb:

Offline ubmit

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 17:43:43 »
This is nice!
Lyn Whale | KFE CE | Frog | Singa | Dolice | Haus | Kei | Polaris | Prophet | Bongoneko

Offline .

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 17:47:54 »
Don't want to ruin the fun but there is actually an IC for the second round of the atom47

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 17:49:34 »
Don't want to ruin the fun but there is actually an IC for the second round of the atom47

No fun ruined

Fluxon is almost released and will be made. This is just a "in case someone wants".
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 June 2020, 17:56:00 by Gondolindrim »
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline .

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 17:53:54 »

No fun ruined

Fluxon is already released and will be made. This is just a "in case someone wants".

Alright well stay safe

Offline Lbibass

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 15 December 2021, 16:19:24 »
Any updates on getting this going? I'd love to have QMK on my Core!

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 15 December 2021, 19:59:10 »
Any updates on getting this going? I'd love to have QMK on my Core!

Fluxon was made and prototyped, but as of right now it is unmanufacturable due to the chip shortage. I'd have to redesign it for an available MCU

Offline krautcat

• local the flammable man without identity
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 24 December 2021, 17:26:15 »
Any possibility to add layout where Right Shift and Fn key swapped?

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 24 December 2021, 18:51:20 »
Any possibility to add layout where Right Shift and Fn key swapped?

Sure we could think of doing a new version with an available MCU and more compats, but I need to know if there are more people willing to get in

Offline keygurl

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 28 March 2022, 19:37:46 »
Still interested!

Offline h40

• h40.io
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 28 March 2022, 19:42:54 »
Hi Gondos mom!