Author Topic: [IC] Ink Blossom Deskmats - GB LIVE  (Read 20034 times)

Offline silberr

[IC] Ink Blossom Deskmats - GB LIVE
« on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 16:25:51 »
ANNOUNCEMENT
GB LIVE AT Bolsa Supply UNTIL APRIL 26, 12PM PST WITH THE FOLLOWING 6 COLORS: https://imgur.com/a/X1kkyo4
I've decided to run the project on a smaller scale, NA only as of now! Thanks for the support!
I was just made aware by member of the community that running "designs" based off of stock images undermines the work of many here.
I just got into this hobby two weeks ago and I was really unaware.
I just wanted to make something cool that suited my tastes.
However, using stock images was a shortcut I should not have taken, because as I now can see, the community greatly values originality.
I've received a strangely overwhelming response on the IC but I am going to put this project on pause.
At this point, there are three things I could do: axe the project, continue it, or substitute two stock vectors for original art.
I am very much leaning toward axing it but I think it may be beneficial to discuss this matter.
Thank you for your time and I sincerely apologize.
Ink Blossom Deskmats
Hello! This is an interest check for "Ink Blossom" series deskmats.
This is my first design and my first IC. I recently got into designing a series of plum blossom inspired deskmats.
I have the appropriate licenses for the assets I used in its design.
The designs feature a plum blossom framed by a Chinese border with styled clouds floating beside it.
On every design except the minimal ones, the background is filled with a simple cloud pattern.
Thank you for your interest!

Renders
by cat cat#0707

Night

Day

Fantasy

Tundra

Royal

Fairy

Mono Neutral

Mono Night

Mono Day

Minimal Dark

Minimal Light

Cherry

Sun

Miasma

Specifications
- 900mm x 400mm
- 4mm thick
- Stiched Edges

Interest Check Form
Help me narrow down the colorways!

Vendors
Available 4/12/21. Shipped and sold from NA but open worldwide.
Join their discord for updates: https://discord.gg/JAGuHSj

To-Do List
- Post IC
- New Color Options
Find/Announce Vendors
- GB Date
- GB

Contact
silver#9741 on Discord

Cross-posts
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 April 2021, 08:20:18 by silberr »

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
Re: [IC] Ink Blossom Deskmats
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 17:02:35 »
Interested!

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Offline nagi

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 19:52:00 »
these are so cool!

Offline vnflynn

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 19:55:48 »
This is better than another recent generic pattern sakura deskmat that got golds on r/pcmasterrace . Interested .

Offline LittleAad

• Hello
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 20:01:32 »
The royal one is beautiful. In fact, they all are... amazing job.

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 23:02:47 »
I'm in for two monos!

Offline Faehriss

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 17 February 2021, 06:37:02 »
Absolutely adore the Tundra and Fantasy styles, I'll be in if those two stay!!
church of the POM keeb

Offline Reebes

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 17 February 2021, 07:16:33 »
Idk how you took the same design and made it look so cool in so many different ways. IC form completed.

Offline Weaselpc

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 17 February 2021, 09:25:03 »
I really like royal

Offline Abhorrent Cell

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 17 February 2021, 11:31:32 »
Both the monos and minimals are killer. Getting at least one for myself and gifting another.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 17 February 2021, 11:55:04 »
I usually never comment on deskmat ICs but this really is very nice. Well done.

Offline Jacki

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 17 February 2021, 12:19:41 »

Edit: I'll totally go for the Fantasy & Fairy
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 February 2021, 14:34:20 by Jacki »

[img width=267 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/in3VqH2.jpg[/img

Offline homerowco

• Homerow.Co
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 17 February 2021, 14:52:09 »
https://www.dreamstime.com/realistic-sakura-blossom-japanese-cherry-tree-white-background-vector-illustration-image104084842

hint: the giveaway is the clouds in a completely different art style and the account with no post history.

Offline silberr

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 17 February 2021, 14:56:24 »
https://www.dreamstime.com/realistic-sakura-blossom-japanese-cherry-tree-white-background-vector-illustration-image104084842

hint: the giveaway is the clouds in a completely different art style and the account with no post history.
I found the source on adobe stock and I paid for the 80 dollar extended license. It says I can "Create merchandise or products for resale or distribution where the main value of the product is associated with the asset itself, such as a coffee mug or t-shirt."  :-X

Offline JPoc

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 17 February 2021, 17:17:48 »
really nice, love minimal light

Offline silberr

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 17 February 2021, 22:49:16 »
project on pause

Offline Ashen_21

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 18 February 2021, 17:38:54 »
These all look amazing! Definitely gonna cop a couple of the colours!

Offline Rx003

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 03:33:11 »
Big Sadge about this it looks good  :-\

Offline alper_maestro

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 04:04:52 »
Looking good. Need some refreshing deskmats.

Offline AshF

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 04:45:22 »
I would  take three if you decided to make these.

Offline Jakob

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 05:13:40 »
These are really nice, hope you decide to go forwards with the designs

Offline Livid

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 12:18:36 »
I don't see any problems with what you did, especially now that you're transparent about it.. they look good and some of your own design still went into it. Literally no one would ever see my deskmat and call me out for having a stock image on my desk.

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 13:41:59 »
I don't see any problems with what you did, especially now that you're transparent about it.. they look good and some of your own design still went into it. Literally no one would ever see my deskmat and call me out for having a stock image on my desk.

I agree 100% with this. As long as you are transparent with what you are doing, I don't have any issues either. You might run into issues if the image used is not free, but if you tie all loose ends, I will support you mate. Really enjoy your mat variations and was hoping to get 1 for me and 1 for the wife.

Offline aikilink

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 15:41:11 »
I am really unsure why you're "undermining the work of many" here. Is there a gatekeep in deskmat design that says we have to draw the art ourselves? I've seen lots of mats based on the great wave, or other iconic art pieces. I love sakura themed mats, but haven't found one that I really liked, and/or just wasn't active when it was being sold.

You took a stock image, paid for it, bordered it and overlayed other art. I am confused how this is an issue. On top of that, you took the time to create many different color designs.

Nothing is being stolen. Nothing is being ripped off even. I would like to hear more about the issues. I think you put work into this, I like what you've done, and personally don't see any problem. It's not easy finding a deskmat that I can just say, "That's one I know I want". There are so many designs, and most of them won't appeal to everyone.

I'd like to hear/see any discussion, criticisms and whatnot, if there's a thread where that's happening, feel free to point me in that direction. :)
Good luck, and hopefully your time and money investment isn't for nothing.

Edit: I reread, and yes, the community values originality. Every single group-buy, every single new design just narrows the potential originality remaining though. Sakura themed mats have been unoriginal for a while at this point, but they are still very popular, and iconic. I'm all for more options, and inclusivity here. There may be lots of important factors that I'm not considering, and I absolutely agree that there are more ethical, or less ethical ways to go about doing things. If you were reached out to by many of the community members via DM, or some people whose input you value, then it's worth noting and reconsidering where you're at. Read other ICs though. There usually is some criticism, and I think that's a good thing. Don't let one person's opinion gatekeep you from creating something meaningful to you (and sharing that with others).
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 March 2021, 15:50:20 by aikilink »

Offline Panama Hat

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 16:10:14 »
There is no problem with what you did, I think you should continue and make the mats.

Offline Baka Bot

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 16:46:52 »
I really like this idea, if you already have the license to use it for a means of profit I personally dont see any reason with it. Nevertheless I sincerely hope you decide to run this as this is one of the deskmat ICs that actually interest me. Glwic! :D

Offline gasp

• Formerly 'boop' (NTBCW Booper)
    • none
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 03 March 2021, 10:45:16 »
People have been using stock images in deskmats for as long as they've been around. Creators and vendors both large and small have done so and will continue to do so. Using it as an argument against this running is hypocritical and stupid. Vote with your wallet. While I personally prefer we support artists within the community rather than those outside that's my preference . As long as you paid for the commercial license you are within your rights. And while I always have reservations with new runners, this particular argument is beyond asinine and unfair at this point. You paid an artist. You even didn't just slap the art on its own on a deskmat. You are fine .

Offline harlekein

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 03 March 2021, 11:01:02 »
"The community values originality" is the biggest laugh I had all day.

GMK Hiragana sublegends and GMK Grey Set are running every week and keep selling like hot cakes. If it's not that, it's R2 or R3 of a popular set.

I was just made aware by member of the community that running "designs" based off of stock images undermines the work of many here.

That's absolute bull ****. Go ahead and run this please. It looks great and is better than a lot of the deskmats I've seen around.

Offline Jacki

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 03 March 2021, 19:02:42 »
I hope the GB happends soon in the near future

Offline kapowaz

• kapowaz industries
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 04 March 2021, 14:04:27 »
I hope this project is resumed. Not because I have a strong interest or love of the design, which I’m neutral on, but rather because of the precedent it would set if it were cancelled. Whether it’s accepted or not, there is literally no difference between licensing artwork in this fashion, and commissioning a designer to create art for you. Since the latter is already an established practice, it would be thoroughly contradictory for a ‘no licensed art’ rule to be established. Unless we are to have some ‘you must design every part of every project’ rule (which essentially means: no more projects bigger than a single person), we need to accept that creative projects are always a collaborative affair, and provided people’s work isn’t being stolen you should choose to support or not support a project with your wallet.

Offline TyPo.mk

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 04 March 2021, 14:29:11 »
Paying for an image and the right to use it on your mats is hardly different than commissioning desk mats or novelties for you keycap set which Many designers do. As long as the art wasn’t stolen I personally don’t care where it came from and I’m sure many people feel the same way. Maybe just credit the original artist or source on the GB pages next to where you’re credited if you feel that strongly about it.

Offline AshF

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 05 March 2021, 03:24:55 »
This is just my two pence but I feel you should 'just do it' (I hope I have not broken any trademark rules here!!).

It is a great desk mat, you have done everything correctly and paid for the image, you've then taken this to concept. There will always be some that do not like what you do but from reading through the comments, there are far more that do. This industry is growing, don't let the few hold you back (these few are not a representation of the industry as a whole though do play a part in pushing innovation).

Roll up your sleeves and push this awesome design through to GB :)

Offline Briaireous

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 05 March 2021, 03:50:48 »
As an outsider that's new to the hobby there is absolutely no reason to listen to feed back such as "it's not inline with the community" or it undermines someone etc this is actually the first desk mat I've considered purchasing and to put things in perspective the cheapest shipping option available from most vendors for me to my location is $60+, let that sink in.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 March 2021, 03:52:52 by Briaireous »

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 05 March 2021, 20:05:30 »
If you paid the original artists for the rights to use the work, that is fine. I do think you did a solid job putting together existing pieces to make something that looks good. I don't usually comment on deskmat IC's because I don't like most of them, but this looks nice and I think you did a swell job.

Offline yotasan

• ARCANE - PHOTOGRAPHY ARCHIVE
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 05 March 2021, 20:52:59 »
those mono deskmats look amazing, def interested

Offline galdrom

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 05 March 2021, 21:01:17 »
Like a lot of other people have said, I really hope you resume this project. As long as you have the licenses to use the images, there’s nothing wrong with it. The mats are gorgeous and I would hate to see it unfinished because a handful of people didn’t think they were ‘original enough’

Offline Ramengaijin

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 06 March 2021, 04:46:25 »
Honestly, whoever told you it's bad to use stock images that you BOUGHT and have rights to use are just dumb.
Run this project and the true community will support you because these are some nice looking deskmats that you clearly have transformed into your own design.

Offline Bonta

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 06 March 2021, 07:28:36 »
Agree with above - if you have license to use it then use it! Run this project!

I would definitely buy it.

Offline Kaleidoua

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 19:44:51 »
These designs are great. I don't care if they are not original design and to be honest, if someone doesn't like the design they simple don't have to buy the deskmat.
I would love to buy one of these and I hope that the IC will go through!

Offline silberr

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 22:17:16 »
Thanks the support! The project is going to run, but only in NA as of now!

Offline Faehriss

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 07:07:21 »
Thanks the support! The project is going to run, but only in NA as of now!

Happy to see this going ahead but unfortunately I'll have to miss out, can't really justify the shipping costs without regional proxies :(
church of the POM keeb

Offline Jacki

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 11:42:03 »
NA only :( :( :(

Offline Livid

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 11:48:32 »
glad you’re running it! hope to see a borderless option or a more minimal border

Offline Baka Bot

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 14:35:31 »
The project lives. will be picking one up. glwic!

Offline Jacki

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 21:50:19 »
Is there no chance for EU vendor?
or will there be one in the future?
really want one of these

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 24 March 2021, 02:42:21 »
Yeees! It's alive! I'm on board 100%

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Offline PanicSort

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 24 March 2021, 16:57:08 »
So glad this is back!  Looks like the IC form is currently down, but +1 for Fantasy!

Offline the_onlyhope

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 25 March 2021, 08:04:17 »
Please continue with this mat, if there are no legal issues! Also, it wasn't a complete copy. You enhanced the original art on the deskmat

Offline Sarazan97

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 26 March 2021, 09:54:10 »
Did you get the design of the geometric lines from another deskmat? https://www.instagram.com/p/CJnmzienG9L/?igshid=1vk7vvsp52z28 it looks identical :/

Offline Livid

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 26 March 2021, 10:13:14 »
Did you get the design of the geometric lines from another deskmat? https://www.instagram.com/p/CJnmzienG9L/?igshid=1vk7vvsp52z28 it looks identical :/

look closer, they’re actually pretty different, and that’s just a common style of border