Author Topic: These GMK sets are getting out of control  (Read 5272 times)

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
These GMK sets are getting out of control
« on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 13:09:53 »
that is all

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
Re: These GMK sets are getting out of control
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 19:08:35 »
💵💵💵

Offline mrvco

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 09:09:18 »
Agreed.  More PBT please :)

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 09:14:18 »
I'm a big fan of GMK. It's just we've been getting a lot of... interesting designs lately.

Offline Riverman

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 14:48:37 »
I wonder how many people actually buy GMK sets to use on a daily driver keyboard, and how many buy them as collector items.  I bought the True Olivetti set from Originative a while back, but it looked too similar to a PBT "Siberian" keycap set I had bought on AliExpress.  The Siberian set won out in the end since it's not going to get shiny, and I was afraid that the white GMK keys would yellow in the sun, but the GMK set was awfully nice looking.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 21:25:29 »
TIL people collect keycap sets not for actual use.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 21:41:49 »
Do people really collect keysets?  I always figured it was FOMO.

Offline xudongz

• Personal Site
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 17 February 2021, 11:42:03 »
Is there some reason why GMK group buys tend to be just "base" rather than separately offering "alphas" and "modifiers"? If people could buy them separately then mix and match on their own, there might be fewer sets and I don't think it would feel as crazy.
SliceMK | ErgoDox Wireless group buy round 2 running until November 16, 2021

Offline NoteMakoti

• for sale, baby shoes, never worn
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 18 February 2021, 00:45:17 »
What burns me is that people will default to partnering with GMK and putting out a full set, even though they’re super expensive, backed up by over a year, and most of the colorways are unoriginal outside of novelties and partnerships. It feels like a bubble.

Offline jamster

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 18 February 2021, 01:14:56 »
TIL people collect keycap sets not for actual use.

Haha, people seem to do that with keyboards, so keycaps is... fair enough, I guess.

There is a lot about this hobby that I find weird, but I'm sure that a lot of people also find the 'mostly functional' aspect of the hobby to be overly mundane.

Offline Rx003

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 01:46:39 »
I just hope the lead time would be reduce once they have the added machines that they said.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 20 February 2021, 19:15:13 »
I just hope the lead time would be reduce once they have the added machines that they said.
Is there any more info on that new production line the mentioned before?
I thought they were going to start using it early 2021.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline yqqdrasil

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 21 February 2021, 08:54:45 »
Few designs look good to me. I really liked Think Caps, Olivia, Muted, 9009, Oblivion and a couple more. But I think great asesthetics can be achieved using a WOB/BOW set with just some accent kits - no need to buy more base kits/novelties.

Offline Agilr

• Never stop achieving
    • Discord Server
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 02:17:16 »
I like GMK

Offline Agilr

• Never stop achieving
    • Discord Server
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 02:19:11 »
Is there some reason why GMK group buys tend to be just "base" rather than separately offering "alphas" and "modifiers"? If people could buy them separately then mix and match on their own, there might be fewer sets and I don't think it would feel as crazy.

Main reason would be the cost per key is greatly reduced with higher MOQ, with a smaller child kit you're limited to 250 whereas base kits can be priced up to 1000 sets

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 06:55:56 »
This allll goes back to us being POKEMON generation.   That's our perspective for _Achievement_.

Tp4 is trying to stop.

Tp4 dn' collect caps, but he does collect computers/laptops/tvs/monitors/power tools

Offline redlion145

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 28 February 2021, 23:23:17 »
As a newcomer to the hobby, I have observed that prices on GMK sets are ridiculous. There are many very nice whole keyboards with PBT dye sub or doubleshot caps for less than the cost of just a set of GMK caps. I mean as a newcomer, which would I rather have for $300 (you could replace the number with $150 if you are okay with the ugly colorways): a functioning keyboard with switches of my choosing, of a set of keycaps that, on their own, are fairly useless.

Maybe for people that already have multiple boards and are just looking for that perfect set of caps, GMKs might be worth it. They weren't worth it to me.
This allll goes back to us being POKEMON generation.   That's our perspective for _Achievement_.

Tp4 is trying to stop.

Tp4 dn' collect caps, but he does collect computers/laptops/tvs/monitors/power tools

You may be onto something with the Pokemon "Gotta Catch 'em All" mentality. And you can never have enough tools.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 February 2021, 23:25:49 by redlion145 »

Offline rheumatic

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 04:09:10 »
100% Agree. GMK just reminds me of old dell keyboard keys every single time I look at it. It seems like people just spend so much money to have a keyboard look like a rubberdome without being one.