Author Topic: [Experiment] Artisan Keycap Library/Tour  (Read 27038 times)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
[Experiment] Artisan Keycap Library/Tour
« on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 18:36:57 »
Alright, this might be a kind of crazy idea and it might fail miserably, but I want to try it so here we are.  xD

Backstory? (TL;DR, I know... :-[ )
For those that don't know (probably no one, I've mentioned this quite a lot :P ), I joined the forum in winter 2013.  Artisan caps were intriguing, but not something I "had to have", so I kind of sat out most of the sales or looked on in bewilderment.  After seeing Brobots and Clacks at the first couple meetups I went to my interest was piqued, but the cost of entry was still too high (~$50 for a common single color Clack at the time), so I held out.  I did, however, see Binge's work at KeyCon and was enamored by the sculpting and handiwork that went into the caps, and promptly began collecting Binge's caps.  Then I got lucky in early 2014 and won a few BroBot V2s from those first few sales. 

But it wasn't until spring 2014 that I put a Clack on my own keyboard, thanks to wildcard loaning me his Topre HO - and that is the inspiration for this post, nearly two years later.  I was extremely lucky that wildcard trusted me with his Clack, and I want to pay that forward.

The other factor that played into this decision was my realization after taking the photo at the bottom of this post.  Simply put, I have a lot of artisans and I feel guilty having so many while some have none or many fewer.  Last year I had a similar realization and sold a bunch of caps at retail; this year, I'm trying this out in hopes that it will get the caps into as many hands as possible (albeit for a limited time).  After this experiment is over, it is very likely that I will sell a decent chunk of the collection.

What's the deal?
What does this all mean?  Simple - I'd like to set up a small "library", of sorts, and loan out some of my artisan caps to people that otherwise wouldn't have the opportunity to try/experience them.  Whether that means the user has zero artisans, doesn't have any from a particular maker, hasn't seen a particular sculpt in person, etc.  I don't necessarily care to which degree you are "cap-less", so long as you don't ask to borrow something you already have.  :P

How does it work?
I will list all of the caps I am interested in loaning out right here in this thread.  You will select a cap you are interested in borrowing and post in this thread to express your interest.  I will indicate here in the OP which caps are currently in the possession of which forum members.

Due to the risk involved, I reserve the right to choose to not send a cap to an individual.  Yes I realize this could get messy, so please keep things civil.  If I opt to pass, do not take it personally - it's probably because I simply don't know you well enough.  This will not be determined by post count or registration date, it will be entirely subjective.  If this bothers you, I'm sorry but hopefully you can understand why I'm doing it this way.  I also understand that sometimes this method can tend to result in the loaning/borrowing staying within a circle of friends, at which point why even make a public thread, so I will be keeping this in mind and consciously trying to include people that I don't know very well but still trust.  Hope that makes sense.  :)

For the time being, I will list more caps than I will loan away at any given moment (I may list 15 caps but only loan 5 for example).  This is to mitigate risks and help ensure that this doesn't reach an unmanageable scope. 

I am undecided on how a "tour" scenario will be handled at this time.  I may have users ship all caps back to me before being shipped out to the next user, but I realize this adds additional cost; this is open to discussion and will be handled on a case-by-case basis in the short term.

Note that the options available for borrowing may change as time goes on, and some options may be removed or added due to fluctuations in my collection.

What are the rules?
  • Do not PM me
  • Unless otherwise noted, you can borrow the cap for up to 2 months
  • Borrower pays shipping both ways
  • Caps must be shipped Flat Rate Priority
  • If you steal my caps I will hate you forever
  • If you have any issues with these rules or this thread in general, please post your concerns in the thread
  • All rules are subject to change at any time without notice (I will be reasonable, don't worry :) )

Got all that?  Good - but if not, please ask.

Okay fine, but what caps??
These!  :D

(If this color scheme is unfriendly for the colorblind, please smack me on the head - I avoided using red for this reason, but am not well-versed on the subtleties of designing colorblind-friendly color schemes. If it helps, the top color in the legend is green (MX), middle is blue (Topre), bottom is orange (BS).)
*NOTE: Keys 14 & 95 (2016/02/02) & 56 (2016/02/09) no longer belong to me and are hereby removed from the library/tour

If I've missed anything or anyone has any questions/concerns/complaints, please post. 

<3

CURRENT LIST (2016/02/02)
Here is the spreadsheet with the list of members requesting to borrow caps in the User_List worksheet, and the list of all caps available in the Cap_List worksheet.  (There are some cap colors/names missing from the Cap_List worksheet, which is where the KeyCap Name is pulled from on the User_List worksheet, so if you want to remind me of those names, please do  :) )
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 February 2016, 19:35:45 by HoffmanMyster »

Offline Hexterdude

• I have a problem when it come to artisans
Re: [Experiment] Artisan Keycap Library/Tour
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 18:39:54 »
I really wanna touch that keypacitor, those reapers, those bi clacks and that conspire but I'm afraid i'll love them too much and not want to give them back. Help me Hoff  :eek:

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 18:46:06 »
A fine collection you've got there.  That's definitely a risky move on your part, but really generous to the community.  :)  You're probably already aware, but DT does something similar with boards - usually limited to certain geographies such as Europe.  It might be worth it to get in touch with some of them if you haven't yet.  I hope this ends up going through successfully though, thanks Hoff!
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 18:49:01 »
I would love to borrow "73" just to see the color on my board and matched with my clacks and take some sick pics.
If at all possible that would be great, if not I completely understand

Question: Could any of this result in a trade? Let's say you let me borrow "73" I say "wow, love this cap. Looks great on my board.  I send PM.. Hoff, gotta have this. Would you like "X" for #73? Or is this strictly a borrow?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 18:50:41 »
Hoff I think the melting plastics have finally went to your head. Just crazy man. :P

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 18:54:39 »
Praise be unto him.
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 18:59:39 »
Wonderful idea! makes me wish I was in the States.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 19:00:19 »
Hey Kisakasu, stop humble bragging and send me all your BS Clacks so I can take a lovely picture of them on the 6019284

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 19:00:59 »
I would like to see the quality of them doom caps. But a video would suffice.

I am never lucky enough to get one.

They look pretty thick and kinda heavy.

Smooth surface?

Would like to see the swirls up close too.

I love cool blanks o.o

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 19:03:38 »
20, 46, 51, 52 ty
I love Elzy

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 19:05:11 »
I want to photo #86
don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 19:06:27 »
I really wanna touch that keypacitor, those reapers, those bi clacks and that conspire but I'm afraid i'll love them too much and not want to give them back. Help me Hoff  :eek:

I am not here to help, I am here to corrupt.  >:D

A fine collection you've got there.  That's definitely a risky move on your part, but really generous to the community.  :)  You're probably already aware, but DT does something similar with boards - usually limited to certain geographies such as Europe.  It might be worth it to get in touch with some of them if you haven't yet.  I hope this ends up going through successfully though, thanks Hoff!

Good point about geographical regions.  For the time being, my "character" requirements for non-CONUS users will be a touch stricter than for CONUS users.  Apologies to the international people, I know you get shafted like this all the time, but I hope you understand.  With the increased risk of lost packages and travel time, I just feel safer limiting the number of international loans at this time.

I would love to borrow "73" just to see the color on my board and matched with my clacks and take some sick pics.

Question: Could any of this result in a trade? Let's say you let me borrow "73" I say "wow, love this cap. Looks great on my board.  I send PM.. Hoff, gotta have this. Would you like "X" for #73? Or is this strictly a borrow?

I'd prefer to get to know you a little better at this time, sorry - no hard feelings.  I've only had positive interactions with you, but since you're a relatively new member I'd just like a bit more time.  I will revisit this post in the near future and get back to you.  If you don't hear from me in 4 weeks, please remind me.  :thumb:

Trades aren't something I'm actively looking for, but I wouldn't be opposed to an offer.  Just be prepared for me to say no (I don't think I've ever traded before, it's just not in my nature for whatever reason).  :-[

Hoff I think the melting plastics have finally went to your head. Just crazy man. :P

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Praise be unto him.

Halverson?

Wonderful idea! makes me wish I was in the States.

It's not necessarily limited to CONUS only!  See my response to crypto above.  :)

Hey Kisakasu, stop humble bragging and send me all your BS Clacks so I can take a lovely picture of them on the 6019284

:|  No caps for rude peoples.  :|

And I'm pretty sure you've already done that anyway.  :P

I would like to see the quality of them doom caps. But a video would suffice.

I am never lucky enough to get one.

They look pretty thick and kinda heavy.

Smooth surface?

Would like to see the swirls up close too.

I love cool blanks o.o

I can take a video if you want, but I would totally send some to you as well if you wanted to pay the shipping.  They are exactly the same shape/size as Cherry keys, and the texture is accurate too.  :thumb:

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 19:07:52 »
I would ask to try 43, but I'll refrain from doing so since I'll probably never return it :))
You're awesome for setting this up though!  :thumb:
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 19:08:35 »
does 50.5 wrapped (not numbered) change colors?????

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 19:11:20 »

I'd prefer to get to know you a little better at this time, sorry - no hard feelings.  I've only had positive interactions with you, but since you're a relatively new member I'd just like a bit more time.  I will revisit this post in the near future and get back to you.  If you don't hear from me in 4 weeks, please remind me.  :thumb:

Trades aren't something I'm actively looking for, but I wouldn't be opposed to an offer.  Just be prepared for me to say no (I don't think I've ever traded before, it's just not in my nature for whatever reason).  :-[

#crushed

Naw, it's totally cool and I completely understand.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 19:12:29 »
Hoff, for the less trustworthy people you could also request an up-front deposit, to be returned when you get the cap. Maybe also limit their "rental" to a month instead of two.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 19:13:12 »
I would like to borrow 45 then. But not untill a few months. Building a 60% with a HHKB layout. I'm going to be waiting on Zelios round 2 and the sentraq board from massdrop. I would like to see how the fn would look on it. Not many people make MX esc fn combos.

I hope doom has more sales soon.

Offline ubibaba742

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 19:13:38 »
This is one of the crazier collections that I've ever seen! Bravo to you sir!

This concept you've got going here, it's neat. It's not something that could happen in a lot of communities on the internet. I think that alone is cool as ****. I'll be keeping an eye on this to see how it goes :)

Cheers Hoff

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 19:14:00 »
I want to photo #86

86 will be going to riotonthebay first, as that is what started this today in the Clack thread.  When he is done with it, I will PM you to confirm interest.

Also, please note that #86 has a loan time of only 2 weeks, so please keep this in mind.  I will add it to the OP.

does 50.5 wrapped (not numbered) change colors?????

Yes it does.  That cap is omitted because the surface of the cap is scuffing off from wear and I want to minimize any further damage from something like this.  :(  Sorry - it is a really cool cap and I wish you could see it.

Just to note, the other omitted caps are as such for pretty much the same reason (risk of damage).

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 19:14:25 »
Super kind of you and quite a collection you have! You probably don't know me well enough to loan out caps to me anyways. I will just gaze in quiet because I KNOW if I attempt to borrow any I will need major therapy when I send them back!
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 19:16:19 »

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 19:16:33 »
I want to photo #86

86 will be going to riotonthebay first, as that is what started this today in the Clack thread.  When he is done with it, I will PM you to confirm interest.

<3

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 19:18:07 »
can i rob you?

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 19:21:17 »
this is scary pls no do

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 19:22:02 »
Hoff you're too generous for even attempting this. Would be cool to see some of these caps up close and personal. Hope you find some good people to fondle your stuff.  :thumb:

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 19:22:24 »
Hoff, for the less trustworthy people you could also request an up-front deposit, to be returned when you get the cap. Maybe also limit their "rental" to a month instead of two.

Good idea.  I'll see how it goes as is and consider this change for the future.  :thumb:

I would like to borrow 45 then. But not untill a few months. Building a 60% with a HHKB layout. I'm going to be waiting on Zelios round 2 and the sentraq board from massdrop. I would like to see how the fn would look on it. Not many people make MX esc fn combos.

I hope doom has more sales soon.

Sounds good, just post in this thread when you are ready.  :thumb:

One note, the caps are actually Row 5 / Row 4 Cherry caps, so Ins/Del row.  :-/  So no Esc/fn just yet.  But IIRC the gamer sets Doom has planned include an fn, so I think he's got some in the works.  If this fact causes you to lose interest, no worries, just wanted to make sure you knew.  :)

This is one of the crazier collections that I've ever seen! Bravo to you sir!

This concept you've got going here, it's neat. It's not something that could happen in a lot of communities on the internet. I think that alone is cool as ****. I'll be keeping an eye on this to see how it goes :)

Cheers Hoff

Thanks for the well wishes!  I fully realize that this could be disastrous, but oh well.  Hopefully it will be more fun than disappointing.  xD

Super kind of you and quite a collection you have! You probably don't know me well enough to loan out caps to me anyways. I will just gaze in quiet because I KNOW if I attempt to borrow any I will need major therapy when I send them back!

I actually wouldn't have an issue sending you a cap, but if you don't feel comfortable then that's understandable.  :)

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 19:22:51 »
do u see how people r joking in this thread

i'll pray 4 u

that no1 hurts u
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 19:27:50 »
You should prob have a high post count requirement on this or prob ask for a deposit for the more expensive caps. I do hope this goes well for you.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 19:28:19 »
Oh man may hold off untill that sale!

Whoop whoop!

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 19:34:37 »
Hoff, you is cray.
Really appreciate the invitation to your collection and hope everything works out smoothly! :thumb:

I didn't think I'd ask for anything but I just can't resist trying to borrow at least these two

Of course I'd want to borrow 86 no explanation needed since everyone wants this.

And 75 because it's such a nice color scheme I just have to see it in person.

Thanks for the consideration :)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 19:36:28 »
HM, LETS SEE WHICH ONE I WONT BE RETURNING
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline btctopre

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 19:37:03 »
not sure about borrowing, but i'd surely settle for a hoffman-tier quality picture of FORTY SEVEN (under the sea) on the anniversary realforce :P i don't recall seeing any action shots of it before.

good luck with the initiative hoff, i know i personally would have really appreciated an opportunity like this when i was trying to just get a look at all the different makes.

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 19:37:52 »
Too kind!

95, 96 or 97. I just want an Astronaut chillin' on my DS Planck for a little while and get some sweet pictures.

IBM Model M            Fjell 002           Klippe            KC60           Planck

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 19:49:17 »

I actually wouldn't have an issue sending you a cap, but if you don't feel comfortable then that's understandable.  :)

WAHHH! <3 Glad to know I'm on your good list! :D I may have to take you up on that offer sometime in the future!
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 January 2016, 20:15:23 by 1swt2gs »
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline dohbot

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 19:49:41 »
This is a really cool idea. I feel I may be too careful with it though. When I won my clack from the Flux Sale, after I had a trade lined up for it, I kept it in its bag until I sent it out because I didn't want to damage it or something. I would feel far worse if it is actually someone elses cap and even work if it is something irreplaceable like that flux keypacitor. I just want to see what that looks like in real life but if I were to borrow the flux, I would probably look at it take it out of its bag for a brief hour while I stare at it in awe and then put it into a new envelope and send it away... Also I guess I would be interested in seeing your "dark maroon" slofi, but a close picture would likely suffice for that.
That GHer who likes sloths... A lot.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • hickneller.com
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 19:56:52 »
There are a few I would love to borrow, but I think I will not. Very nice of you to do this though :)

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 20:10:32 »
sign me up for the 86 train please.  i would love to see it in person.

haha i also thought hoff was reposting the kisa collection pic.
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 20:29:13 »
I have three thoughts:

1) This is a really thoughtful idea
2) No good will come of this (cynicism levels rose to aneurysm level)
3) What happens if someone damages a cap, rather than the more obvious scenario of theft? Perhaps a stipulation regarding that (obligation to pay fair value, etc) should be added.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 20:39:55 »
I'd be all over 49 but I don't think I could see it in person and not want it more.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 20:43:09 »
Dang

58, 73, 75, 78 plz bb

:-*

EIGHTY SIX THE KEYPACITOR

(I guess, add me to the list)
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 January 2016, 20:50:15 by jerue »

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 21:04:32 »
Sounds like it's time for a Hoffman photo shoot  ;)
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 21:07:52 »
Hello, librarian.

I wish to permanently check out; 1,2,4 and 24.

Thank you for your time

Offline KnivesM

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 23:42:29 »
Very cool concept, hopefully all goes well and no ones a douche.

As I am relatively new to GH I doubt you'd want to loan to me but I'd love to see 48 or 8 in person as I've always liked Smiling Jacks and Conspires and don't have any Binge or KBK. Thoughts on a collateral check out? Like I send you my Mr. Friday Jr.(or other that you like/valuable) and upon receipt you mail me one of the above and then after 1 or 2 months(as discussed above) I send back your cap and when you get yours back safely you send mine back. No worries if you don't want to still, still very cool of you to do this in the first place. :thumb:
[WTT] Bros | HWS | Nightcaps [WTTF] Bros | KBK/KWK | CC

LZ-FE                 Kpad           Poker II                   Leopold 980M          TGR Tris       TGR-Jane   
72g Vintage Blacks      Blacks            Blues                        Silent Pinks                Coming Soon™

Others
More
Leopold 750RT - Reds, Smart68 Coming Soon™, Steelseries 6Gv2 - Reds

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 00:20:34 »
Insane!!!

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 00:25:58 »
Shafted for living outside CONUS :'(

Your collection is amazing though - hope this works out well.

Offline shoostep

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 01:06:16 »
That is a mighty collection and the scope your generosity is absolutely awesome! Kudos.

Also, I could see a lot of people taking responsible advantage of this for good photo opportunities.

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 04:44:14 »
Awesome idea Hoff! Great of you to do this.  :thumb:

I may have to borrow a Checkey for awhile sometime (if you have no objections), I've always wanted one, so it would be really cool to see one in person. The texture just looks so interesting.  :))

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline sitch

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 05:16:03 »
There's uncanny resemblance of these keycaps to the rings from LOTR, not sure if I will return one if I get to loan it  :confused: