Author Topic: [GB] ELEMENTO X zFrontier. Fr87 GB ended.  (Read 106447 times)

Offline zF_ScrambledEggz

• zFrontier
Re: [GB] ELEMENTO X zFrontier. Fr87 GB ended.
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 05 May 2018, 06:14:09 »
Hi guys, Alex here

In short, I sincerely apologize for lack of updates, some issues occurred, but things are back on track and should proceed fast in the following weeks.

Really sorry for the lack of news here, but Elemento and us did encounter some issues:

To be frank, the factory Elemento first contacted was not able to meet the requirements after the intricate structural upgrade that includes many parts in different materials, so we help Elemento out and moved on to a new source.

And that take quite some time as communication back and forth wasnt smooth

But Elemento and we have things sorted out and things are back on track, I will be responsible for this thread and have updates from time to time, solid or not, to keep you guys in the loop.

Again, sorry for the miscommunication.

Thank you for your support!

Offline RavenPanther

« Reply #101 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 23:42:42 »
Hi guys, Alex here

In short, I sincerely apologize for lack of updates, some issues occurred, but things are back on track and should proceed fast in the following weeks.

Really sorry for the lack of news here, but Elemento and us did encounter some issues:

To be frank, the factory Elemento first contacted was not able to meet the requirements after the intricate structural upgrade that includes many parts in different materials, so we help Elemento out and moved on to a new source.

But Elemento and we have things sorted out and things are back on track, I will be responsible for this thread and have updates from time to time, solid or not, to keep you guys in the loop.

Hey Alex, thanks for the update! Have a few questions on this:

Will Elemento have a presence here, on the forums?

What structural changes were made that caused an issue at the factory?

Is there any kind of MOQ, and if so, what percentage are we at towards meeting it?

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #102 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 06:29:09 »
I didnt know that there was an MOQ as the GB has ended and a manufacturer has been found...

Offline RavenPanther

« Reply #103 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 18:26:08 »
I didnt know that there was an MOQ as the GB has ended and a manufacturer has been found...

Good point, I didn't think about that lol.

Offline zF_ScrambledEggz

• zFrontier
« Reply #104 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 00:42:23 »
Hi guys, Alex here

Is there any kind of MOQ, and if so, what percentage are we at towards meeting it?

Hi Raven,

Yes, I will ask him to have an account here.

The major problem is the battery housing, possible interference with the PCB if not milled perfectly. also, as elemento move on to a rechargeable design, safety becomes a more important thing. NiMH becomes the idea choice for battery, but then worries like people using non-rechargeable batteries occurs. First off, Elemento tried to redesign the contact springs since some rechargeable batteries have their negative exposed to the side and thus some structural changed. And then that was reversed since that really limits the choice of battery and some places might not be able to find those exact batteries. These back and forth costs a lot of time.

And yes, Elemento will be heading to China, again, to check on the manufacturing process.

Offline RavenPanther

« Reply #105 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 00:27:42 »
Hi guys, Alex here

Hi Raven,

Yes, I will ask him to have an account here.

The major problem is the battery housing, possible interference with the PCB if not milled perfectly. also, as elemento move on to a rechargeable design, safety becomes a more important thing. NiMH becomes the idea choice for battery, but then worries like people using non-rechargeable batteries occurs. First off, Elemento tried to redesign the contact springs since some rechargeable batteries have their negative exposed to the side and thus some structural changed. And then that was reversed since that really limits the choice of battery and some places might not be able to find those exact batteries. These back and forth costs a lot of time.

And yes, Elemento will be heading to China, again, to check on the manufacturing process.

Awesome, thank you for the response!

If you're accepting input on batteries: while I'd prefer NiMH, it's a perfectly acceptable choice, especially when it comes to not having to deal with LiPO shipping hassle. As far as sizes, my vote goes for either a standard AA size, or an 18650 size. 18650 has good capacity and dimensions, but it would be a good idea to incorporate charging while they're inserted in the board so people don't have to worry about buying a specialty charger.

Either way, looking forward to hearing more as development proceeds :]

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #106 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 12:57:10 »
Snip

I agree with Raven Panther, a standard AA size battery would work perfectly!

As far as timescales, do know how much of a delay are we looking at?

Offline plus_one

« Reply #107 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 09:25:04 »
I'm also still curious about QMK.  It was mentioned a few times in this forum, but I never saw a confirmation that the board will support it. 

Thanks for the updates! 

Offline RavenPanther

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 19:28:51 »
I'm also still curious about QMK.  It was mentioned a few times in this forum, but I never saw a confirmation that the board will support it. 

Thanks for the updates! 

Snip

I agree with Raven Panther, a standard AA size battery would work perfectly!

As far as timescales, do know how much of a delay are we looking at?

Both good questions, wrote my response late at night and wasn't thinking much haha. I'm also interested in more info on these.

Offline wowremy

« Reply #109 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 16:19:01 »
Is it too late to add another Black Walnut weight?
Anyone regret getting the wood and want my brass weight? Trade + price difference.
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 May 2018, 19:06:34 by wowremy »

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #110 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 10:23:52 »
Snip

Can we please get some answers to the above questions please. You have been online answering questions in your other GB threads, however we are feeling slightly forgotten here...

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #111 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 06:28:06 »
Hi guys, I have just emailed this to Zfrontier asking for an update but also asking for some much needed answers to some of your questions.

« Last Edit: Wed, 06 June 2018, 06:33:58 by the pokemon kid »

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #112 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 09:45:00 »
Hi guys, I have just emailed this to Zfrontier asking for an update but also asking for some much needed answers to some of your questions.

Show Image

to play devil's advocate perhaps there trying to get answers from Elemento and getting the run around. Are being told they will get answers soon™. I could see that being why Zfrontier is dragging there feet with answers. Cause from what seen Zfrontier is always pretty upfront. Honestly when the group buy was running Elemento set off so many redflag's for me as being sorta shady. This is just my humbled opinion. Given some answers would be better then the radio silence people are getting about the entire thing.   

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #113 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 11:24:23 »

Show Image

to play devil's advocate perhaps there trying to get answers from Elemento and getting the run around. Are being told they will get answers soon™. I could see that being why Zfrontier is dragging there feet with answers. Cause from what seen Zfrontier is always pretty upfront. Honestly when the group buy was running Elemento set off so many redflag's for me as being sorta shady. This is just my humbled opinion. Given some answers would be better then the radio silence people are getting about the entire thing.

Yes, but it was a month ago they came back and said there was issues with the product. It then took 13 days to reply to RavenPanthers question.

Also, the question of Colour samples, Bluetooth questions and QMK support are still outstanding since mid Febuary. Surely they can drag an answer out of Elemento in three and a half months.

Offline slk

« Reply #114 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 00:58:20 »
been lurking this friend since he was very interested in it..but after reading the recent issues of lack of communication...i can see why my friend lost interest. hopefully people get their answers soon

Offline ELEMENTO

« Reply #115 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 12:42:33 »
Thanks for supporting us. Apologies for lack of updates. Here they are:

We received some parts and PCB last week, and this is what you are looking at:

197425-0197427-1197429-2197431-3
197433-4197435-5197437-6197439-7

This unit is Cool Gray.

Unfortunately, our board is likely not QMK compatible mostly due to the light effects we want to achive. However, we will have our own Windows-based software for macro and light effects editing. Our PCB do have an onboard flash for memorizing all your settings.

The battery life depends significantly on LEDs. With all lights off, 4 AAA should last 1.5 weeks based on medium usage (like 4 hours per day). The Bluetooth module is a 3.0 version, instead of a BLE one, for better compatibility with older devices.

For Bluetooth signal, we have no problem with normal typing scenarios. But signal shielding on the bottom is expected since the bottom case is fully enclosed.

For the timescales, sadly, we will need an extra month or two.

Thanks!

Offline Starston3

« Reply #116 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 12:59:04 »

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

This unit is Cool Gray.

Unfortunately, our board is likely not QMK compatible mostly due to the light effects we want to achive. However, we will have our own Windows-based software for macro and light effects editing. Our PCB do have an onboard flash for memorizing all your settings.

The battery life depends significantly on LEDs. With all lights off, 4 AAA should last 1.5 weeks based on medium usage (like 4 hours per day). The Bluetooth module is a 3.0 version, instead of a BLE one, for better compatibility with older devices.

For Bluetooth signal, we have no problem with normal typing scenarios. But signal shielding on the bottom is expected since the bottom case is fully enclosed.

Thanks!

Are there any plans to support QMK or port the Windows-based software for macros /etc to macOS?

Offline plus_one

« Reply #117 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 13:05:50 »

This unit is Cool Gray.

Thanks!

Can you talk more about the lighting effects you are trying to incorporate?  Would things like changing the lights based on caps/num lock be possible, or is it more of a color-cycling thing?

Also, I really appreciate the update!  Thanks! 

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #118 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 14:22:17 »
Snip

Hi Elemento, really appreciate the update and you joining Geekhack. Has alleviated some of the stress I have had over this GB!

Any chance of getting a shot of the raw PCB on its own? Also can we get a shot of the SMD RGB's in action?

Is there an ETA on the other colours? Interested to see how they have come out.

Offline os

• trash site, don't come here
« Reply #119 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 08:27:11 »
Thanks for supporting us. Apologies for lack of updates. Here they are:...

Looking great so far!

Will you at least be publishing the source code under a free software or at least open source license?

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #120 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 07:37:08 »

This unit is Cool Gray.

Thanks!

Nice, finally found this GB thread  :))
sent a mail to zF, but that can be ignored now.

shipping stage will be around September then I guess?

also, any colour samples of the tactical blue?

really looking forward to this board :)

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #121 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 08:41:25 »
No qmk tmk compatibility isn't good. Why can't you improve the existing software, or pay the developer?
I don't have windows.

Offline Mainian

« Reply #122 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 19:20:59 »
No qmk tmk compatibility isn't good. Why can't you improve the existing software, or pay the developer?
I don't have windows.

You can VM windows.

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #123 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 19:22:40 »
I don't have windows.

You can VM windows.

I will be fair, using a Windows VM to code a keyboard on a Mac or Linux isn't ideal.

Offline Mainian

« Reply #124 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 20:45:02 »
I don't have windows.

You can VM windows.

I will be fair, using a Windows VM to code a keyboard on a Mac or Linux isn't ideal.

Oh, I won't argue that. But he's acting like he can't do it and won't ever be able to do it.

Offline rioc

« Reply #125 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 01:52:23 »
I don't have windows.

the software might work with Wine..?

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #126 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 01:58:42 »
I don't have windows.

You can VM windows.

Oh, I won't argue that. But he's acting like he can't do it and won't ever be able to do it.

Updating the firmware in a VM isn't ideal. I had some troubles with the pok3r. Go figure what will happen with a keyboard made in 100 pieces, with a custom firmware, that will not be sold or updated anymore after this GB.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #127 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 02:24:49 »
I don't have windows.

You can VM windows.

Updating the firmware in a VM isn't ideal. I had some troubles with the pok3r. Go figure what will happen with a keyboard made in 100 pieces, with a custom firmware, that will not be sold or updated anymore after this GB.

can I just ask why you bought into the keyboard if you knew going in there was a chance that it might not be Mac friendly? I am just kinda curious cause I always go into things thinking what I see is what I get. Given if there is some kinda nifty addon/upgrade after the fact then great. Otherwise I just assume things are the way they are.

Offline wowremy

« Reply #128 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 02:36:39 »
Board looks great and I'm loving the under glow! I like that bicolor pic on the top right.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #129 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 04:41:07 »
I don't have windows.

You can VM windows.

can I just ask why you bought into the keyboard if you knew going in there was a chance that it might not be Mac friendly? I am just kinda curious cause I always go into things thinking what I see is what I get. Given if there is some kinda nifty addon/upgrade after the fact then great. Otherwise I just assume things are the way they are.
mac who

Offline rioc

« Reply #130 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 04:56:27 »
I don't have windows.

You can VM windows.

mac who

dunno... sounds like nonsense ;)

but you could give it a spin with Wine, maybe that'll work... (or something like it)

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #131 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 05:09:47 »
I don't have windows.

You can VM windows.

mac who

dunno... sounds like nonsense ;)

but you could give it a spin with Wine, maybe that'll work... (or something like it)

Im not clued up on Mac stuff but to me it just sounds like you have a drinking problem... :P

Offline rioc

« Reply #132 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 05:55:01 »
I don't have windows.
You can VM windows.
mac who
dunno...sounds like nonsense ;)
Im not clued up on Mac stuff but to me it just sounds like you have a drinking problem... :p

Wine is for linux, I don't eat at Mac

Offline RavenPanther

« Reply #133 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 21:07:34 »
I don't have windows.

You can VM windows.

I need to adopt this mindset, this is a beautiful way to live life. Anything that's extra is always a pleasant surprise! :]

Offline rioc

« Reply #134 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 01:47:47 »
I need to adopt this mindset, this is a beautiful way to live life. Anything that's extra is always a pleasant surprise! :]

don't we all first need to get a life?  :p

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #135 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 09:22:47 »

keyboards or death
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline RavenPanther

« Reply #136 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 17:44:30 »

I live life through receiving packages in the mail!

Offline mkarlsson

« Reply #137 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 15:43:55 »
Hi ELEMENTO, how are things doing? Any updates?

Offline RavenPanther

« Reply #138 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 18:29:57 »
Hi ELEMENTO, how are things doing? Any updates?

Yeah, was waiting to post until today. It's been a month, was hoping for some kind of check in. Even if it's just a short continuation of the last check-in.

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #139 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 05:05:24 »
Just so everyone knows. We are at 110 days since they took payment via Paypal. We have another 70 days of buyer protection. Make sure you contact Paypal to cancel and restart the payment before the 180 days ends. This gives you another 180 days of buyer protection!

Offline rioc

« Reply #140 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 05:36:53 »
Just so everyone knows. We are at 110 days since they took payment via Paypal. We have another 70 days of buyer protection. Make sure you contact Paypal to cancel and restart the payment before the 180 days ends. This gives you another 180 days of buyer protection!

what? that's an option?

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #141 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 11:01:21 »

what? that's an option?

Yeh, of course. Just phone Paypal and they will do it for you...

Offline rioc

« Reply #142 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 15:09:03 »

what? that's an option?

TIL

Offline Mainian

« Reply #143 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 19:52:49 »

Awesome! Thanks

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #144 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 05:03:11 »

Awesome! Thanks

what? that's an option?

TIL

Make sure you phone them though, dont just cancel it. They need to know what is going on otherwise you will just be getting a refund.

Offline sheepish.alpaca

« Reply #145 on: Sat, 14 July 2018, 01:11:04 »

Honestly, given how ****ty Elemento (and to some extent zF) has been about giving updates, I'm strongly considering doing it. Kinda steamed too since I cancelled my KBD 8X GB slot (which was running at the time and looks beautiful from all the posts here and on reddit) to get in on this.

Edit to add: I don't think it's too much to ask them to update on a weekly or biweekly basis, given how few updates/contacts all the GB participants have received so far.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 July 2018, 01:14:53 by sheepish.alpaca »

Offline RavenPanther

« Reply #146 on: Sat, 14 July 2018, 21:42:02 »

Honestly, given how ****ty Elemento (and to some extent zF) has been about giving updates, I'm strongly considering doing it. Kinda steamed too since I cancelled my KBD 8X GB slot (which was running at the time and looks beautiful from all the posts here and on reddit) to get in on this.

Edit to add: I don't think it's too much to ask them to update on a weekly or biweekly basis, given how few updates/contacts all the GB participants have received so far.

What really frustrates me is that zF has a ton of other buys going on and seems to be interacting with them on a number of channels, not just here. Why is FR87 getting no love? If it's because of something on Elemento's part, they should either be urging Elemento to be more open with us, or they should be covering their own asses and doing something about it. Cancel the buy, postpone it, whatever.

Offline Mainian

« Reply #147 on: Sun, 15 July 2018, 22:13:49 »
Check your emails I guess. I received an email from zF about this groupbuy yesterday. Claiming an ETA of September.

Offline mkarlsson

« Reply #148 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 01:34:07 »
Check your emails I guess. I received an email from zF about this groupbuy yesterday. Claiming an ETA of September.

Yep, saw it, at least we have something. The blue they showed look great by the way.

Offline rioc

« Reply #149 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 01:50:28 »

Yep, saw it, at least we have something. The blue they showed look great by the way.
yep, really happy I went with blue. Will match nicely with Sol Dark