Author Topic: Octagon V2 75% Kustom Keyboard Group Buy (Closed for Orders)  (Read 428536 times)

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
Re: Octagon V2 75% Kustom Keyboard Group Buy
« Reply #1050 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 15:16:25 »
That would be the LED for numlock.  Just plug in any keyboard with a numpad to turn it off/on.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #1051 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 15:36:18 »
That would be the LED for numlock.  Just plug in any keyboard with a numpad to turn it off/on.
Ahaaa. Yes but of course. (Feeling stupid now). Haven't used a full size keyboard with numpad for a long time.

Offline breitling

« Reply #1052 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 17:32:52 »
Finally done mine!

Offline AceRuckus

« Reply #1053 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 17:35:12 »
Finally done mine!
Beautiful. Lmk if you gonna sell it lol

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #1054 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 18:03:40 »
I have really big problem with my Octagon V2 PCB. I actually noticed it before soldering in the switches and LEDs. I performed a test of every switch hole by closing the switch circuit and observing the result in a key tester. All of a sudden after testing about half of the switches the PCB stopped responding and the RGB LEDs on the backside turned off. I re-connected the USB cable which solved the problem. At that point I didn't think of it anymore and started soldering.

After I've soldered about 5 switches I ran them through the key tester to see if I had any chattering. I repeated this process throughout the whole board until I had all the switches soldered. Luckily no chattering was discovered. I was very careful with not applying too much heat on all the pads and actually lowered the temp of my soldering station to 300 degrees C before I started. During the soldering session, the same problem occurred about 3 times. Every time  when I re-connected the USB cable, my PC was not able to identify the device, error message; "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)".

After frantically disconnecting and connecting the USB cable, the board did get recognized eventually. Sometimes it took 5 minutes and sometimes more. Every time it got recognized I sighed out of relief. Now all the switches are soldered and I started programming my layers. After flashing the board a couple of times and testing my layers the same thing happened again! My PC refuses to recognize the board and I've even tested from another computer but to no avail.

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Could I have received a defected PCB?

Edit:
The issue seem to have mysteriously disappeared. Last time it happened I flashed it using Atmel Flip instead of O2D KeyMapper. It has been solid ever since. Been using the board everyday at work for a couple of days now. Hopefully I'm not jinxing it by writing this post and it stays functional.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 May 2016, 01:21:51 by ctrlX »

Offline Jin

« Reply #1055 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 18:21:24 »

Offline omgar

« Reply #1056 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 12:54:37 »
Ahaaa. Yes but of course. (Feeling stupid now). Haven't used a full size keyboard with numpad for a long time.

You can also turn off numlock from the on-screen keyboard in Windows 7/10

Offline duckness

« Reply #1057 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 13:02:45 »

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #1058 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 13:39:33 »

Show Image

Cheers. I've already figured it out :-)

Here are some pictures of mine....

137348-0
137350-1

Using lubed 65g Zealios with my Retro SA set. At the moment I'm going all brown. Really wish  I had gotten the PETSCII set as well, but didn't have the funds when the GB was running. :-( I'll experiment with different key color combination of the Retro SA set in the future. For now I like going all brown.

My first ANSI build and I have installed SE keys to get used to the layout (not good at touch typing).

I also have to apologize for the bad quality of the images. I used my phone and couldn't be bothered picking up my DSLR.

Really liking the layout and I am utilizing layers to control LEDs and Fn key for compensating for losing some keys to the layout and going from ISO SE to ANSI.

Unfortunately it is not all peaches. I have re-occurring problem with the Octagon that I've described here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78549.msg2172587#msg2172587

Edit:
The issue seem to have mysteriously disappeared. Last time it happened I flashed it using Atmel Flip instead of O2D KeyMapper. It has been solid ever since. Been using the board everyday at work for a couple of days now. Hopefully I'm not jinxing it by writing this post and it stays functional.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 May 2016, 01:21:27 by ctrlX »

Offline E3E

« Reply #1059 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 14:06:53 »
Great looking board, CtrlX. I hope you get your issues with the PCB resolved!

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #1060 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 01:08:32 »
Thank you very much!

Love what you did with your Orion V2 by the way. Have you hot-swap modded Cherry type PCBs also?

Offline E3E

« Reply #1061 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 15:21:02 »
Thank you very much!

Love what you did with your Orion V2 by the way. Have you hot-swap modded Cherry type PCBs also?

Thank you just the same! I'm happy people like it since it's pretty much one of the last customs I've had chalked up.  Dyeing the key caps was a tricky ordeal!

I have not tried hotswapping Cherry PCBs, but I can tell you that doing so with the sockets needed for Cherry MX would be substantially easier than with Alps switches (due to the larger pins that Alps uses). You would not need to use a drill at all to bore out the switch positions like you would with Alps.

I'd really love to build a hotswappable Cherry build because of its relative simplicity to execute compared to Alps, but I'm just not really invested in Cherry MX that much these days.

Offline Butter

« Reply #1062 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 22:18:32 »
Finally take some photo for this board. Now I just need the Woodland Trio Set to complete my top row.

Offline Chewypost

• Bacon PanCAAAKES
« Reply #1063 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 22:42:41 »
Ignore this post. I saved myself :D
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 May 2016, 23:05:51 by Chewypost »
Hana DSA - Duck Octagon V2| Ducky Mini - MX Red

Offline adamski07

• * Maker
  • adamskimodz|fudorekz12
« Reply #1064 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 21:17:33 »
WTB> Duck Feet. Please let me know if you have an extra set. Thanks :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 May 2016, 21:22:09 by adamski07 »

Offline cirrus82

« Reply #1065 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 12:07:08 »
Does anyone know if the silver version can be anodized? Is it treated somehow or is it just the raw aluminum? Thinking about getting mine custom anodized locally...

Offline Gengarfan

« Reply #1066 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 13:51:06 »
Can we get an update on how things are going by any chance? I PM'd Elton with no reply about this awhile ago.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #1067 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 16:40:38 »
Can we get an update on how things are going by any chance? I PM'd Elton with no reply about this awhile ago.

I believe they're anodizing the keyboards right now.

Offline cirrus82

« Reply #1068 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 17:11:29 »

Show Image

Cheers. I've already figured it out :-)

Here are some pictures of mine....

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Using lubed 65g Zealios with my Retro SA set. At the moment I'm going all brown. Really wish  I had gotten the PETSCII set as well, but didn't have the funds when the GB was running. :-( I'll experiment with different key color combination of the Retro SA set in the future. For now I like going all brown.

My first ANSI build and I have installed SE keys to get used to the layout (not good at touch typing).

I also have to apologize for the bad quality of the images. I used my phone and couldn't be bothered picking up my DSLR.

Really liking the layout and I am utilizing layers to control LEDs and Fn key for compensating for losing some keys to the layout and going from ISO SE to ANSI.

Unfortunately it is not all peaches. I have re-occurring problem with the Octagon that I've described here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78549.msg2172587#msg2172587

Edit:

Looks great in SA, glad to see the row profile works out. Think I'm doing something similar...

Offline Gengarfan

« Reply #1069 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 18:14:41 »

Alright awesome. Is that for round 2 or round 3?

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #1070 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 18:27:12 »

Alright awesome. Is that for round 2 or round 3?

That's for R2, no news for R3 yet! :thumb:

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #1071 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 22:47:41 »
finally finished making zealios and getting into this build. can someone give an explanation for the 7 indicator LEDs?

(picture from duck's site)

I am guessing the 3 on the left are NumLock, ScrollLock, CapsLock (idk what order) and the other 4 are layers??

Offline Butter

« Reply #1072 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 23:06:16 »
finally finished making zealios and getting into this build. can someone give an explanation for the 7 indicator LEDs?

Show Image

I am guessing the 3 on the left are NumLock, ScrollLock, CapsLock (idk what order) and the other 4 are layers??

Yup, you got them right.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #1073 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 00:56:13 »

Show Image

Correct. Note that when layer 4 is active, none of the layer LEDs are active. 4th LED in the layer LED cluster is used when LED control is activated.

Post a pic of the board when you finished building it. Very few has posted imo.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #1074 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 01:54:25 »
So, why is there a NumLock LED? There is no number cluster.anybody using this for something else? 

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #1075 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 01:58:32 »
So, why is there a NumLock LED? There is no number cluster.anybody using this for something else?
Good question. The Orion also has a NumLock LED without having a number cluster.

Offline ika

« Reply #1076 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 13:42:28 »
Numlock is a system-wide setting. Setting numlock on one keyboard turns them on for all keyboards, i.e. if I had another full-size board connected, or a numpad, numlock on the Orion/Octagon will turn on numlock on those boards too.

Offline beckshl

« Reply #1077 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 21:43:34 »
Does anyone have info about batch 2 and 3? Cant wait anymore :(

Offline joostflux

• Cars, computers, anime, and keyboards
« Reply #1078 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 09:47:24 »
Does anyone have info about batch 2 and 3? Cant wait anymore :(

If you look up a few posts the last thing we knew was happening was they were getting ano'd. As far as time goes this GB is flying in comparison to the last Duck GB which was Orion V.2 and if my memory serves that took nearly a year. So I know it sucks to be patient but trust me we are all in the same boat. I've been waiting for this GB to come back since I missed out on round 1 by just a few months. Patience is key in the mech keyboard game. We need to be thankful that there is a round 2 and 3 in the first place  :thumb:

Endgame? There is no endgame.

Offline billhicks

« Reply #1079 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 10:15:20 »
How long did the first and second buys take from paypal->U.S. doorsteps? What is the ETA for the 3rd/final round in the U.S.?

Offline omgar

« Reply #1080 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 10:47:46 »
How long did the first and second buys take from paypal->U.S. doorsteps? What is the ETA for the 3rd/final round in the U.S.?
Invoices started going out February 1st. First round was at people's doorsteps ~April 20th.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #1081 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 22:40:48 »

ok, final assembly complete. 78g lubed and individually socketed zealios. haven't installed indicating LEDs or switch LEDs yet, but i could use some help with RGB controls. I have been playing around with the LED controls in 02D Mapper, but i cant figure it out. also found this on duck's website, but i am unable to decipher.
http://duck0113.tistory.com/category/%E2%98%85Firmware%20Program

can someone please explain or point me to a thread that tells me how to turn down the intensity and change colors/RGB effects on the fly?

Offline boo

« Reply #1082 on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 09:51:15 »
Hey guys, as I prepare for r3, what kind of stabilizers does the octagon support? Pcb or plate mounted?

Offline aaron6301

• Pixel Pusher
« Reply #1083 on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 10:30:34 »
Hey guys, as I prepare for r3, what kind of stabilizers does the octagon support? Pcb or plate mounted?

First page and first post  :rolleyes:... "(Requires Cherry PCB stabilizers)"

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #1084 on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 10:37:35 »
Oh man all these photos are getting me super excited. I PMed Elton last week, his response was that they were going to be ready very soon. =)

Shameless Plug: Meanwhile if you're all looking for some extra weight, I'm running an IC for the metal insert.

Offline boo

« Reply #1085 on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 18:35:59 »

First page and first post  :rolleyes:... "(Requires Cherry PCB stabilizers)"

Haha you are right. My bad! Thanks for pointing out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline nothing4me

« Reply #1086 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 01:03:44 »
Is this group buy ever going to happen again? If so, anyone know about when?

I just found out about this keyboard...  :(

Offline Chewypost

• Bacon PanCAAAKES
« Reply #1087 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 11:33:25 »
Maybe a year later. It's still finishing up

Offline joostflux

• Cars, computers, anime, and keyboards
« Reply #1088 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 17:05:23 »

No guarantee and if it does it will probably be a V.3, so there will most likely be changes.

Endgame? There is no endgame.

Offline Chewypost

• Bacon PanCAAAKES
« Reply #1089 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 21:55:15 »

No guarantee and if it does it will probably be a V.3, so there will most likely be changes.
Yea I should of mentioned that. Best bet would be to go through the classifieds and r/mechmarket

Offline beltet

« Reply #1090 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 18:25:23 »
I've tried to contact elton about a adress change on my order in batch 3. But have not yet got a reply. Any know if elton have been seen lately?

Offline tuba section

« Reply #1091 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 20:31:16 »
I've tried to contact elton about a adress change on my order in batch 3. But have not yet got a reply. Any know if elton have been seen lately?

I talked to Elton recently. Round 2 hasn't shipped yet, I am confident he will respond to you well before r3, don't worry!

Offline beltet

« Reply #1092 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 00:39:01 »

I talked to Elton recently. Round 2 hasn't shipped yet, I am confident he will respond to you well before r3, don't worry!

Aaaah ok. thanks. Maybe then I dont need an adress change. Can't pick it up in june.

Offline mrboovn

« Reply #1093 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 20:26:59 »
Just got on mail  :thumb:
OTD 356 mini- 360c-456GT-356CL DGE-DK Saver(ALPS Green) | Duck Eagle V1+V2-Viper V1+V2-Poker-Pad-Orion V2-Octagon V2-Lightsaver V2-Kingsaver | KMAC Happy(60%)-Happy HHKB |LZ GH -LZ MX Mini | 2x TGR-CE-2x TGR 910 | TX CP | Dolphin V2-GH Edition|EM7 GH|ENVKX|M5-92|E8-V1|Exent|Matrix Abel|VNMK MX-Mini | Cherry G80-5000HAMRB |Realforce 108UW Hi Pro-45g 55UW-HHKB
Octagon v2-LSV v2-KMAC 1.2-Blackbird

https://www.flickr.com/gp/97473780@N08/10mLE5

Offline kenshinjeff

« Reply #1094 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 00:18:14 »
Erh? How did you get this? And more importantly, what does it say in korean?

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #1095 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 08:36:14 »
Mr boovn got into a exclusive GB in Korea for these, I believe they are somewhere in the 80-90 dollar range plus shipping.

Meanwhile if you want one, come check out my GB now live!

Offline KetchyKech

• ∴∵∴◇❖◇∴∵∴
« Reply #1096 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 08:51:33 »
Just got on mail  :thumb:
Show Image

makes me wish i got the alu bottom...if only i knew

enjoy!! it looks great

edit: if anyone has a spare alu bottom that they bought and don't want anymore, hit me up!! will gladly buy it off ya  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 June 2016, 09:00:03 by KetchyKech »
∴∵∴◇Time TKL--VE.A--F&T 1916--Cajal--Octagon v2◇∴∵∴

Offline elton5354

« Reply #1097 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 08:54:19 »
Hey guys. Sorry for the absence. There weren't anything to update so I usually shy away at these times.

Anyway I've updated the tracking for the 2nd batch. 😉

Offline aaron6301

• Pixel Pusher
« Reply #1098 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 10:39:01 »
Hey guys. Sorry for the absence. There weren't anything to update so I usually shy away at these times.

Thanks for the update!

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #1099 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 10:39:44 »

HYPE