geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

Why is 5G so much cheaper than 4G

(1/2) > >>

suicidal_orange:
I'm once again looking at possible 'upgrades' to my phone contract, 'upgrades' because I can save 20% in exchange for an 88% loss in data allowance staying on 4G, which isn't ideal.  But for the same price I can have an 800% increase in data on 5G?

I would suggest this is because they want to sell me a shiny new tracker phone but both options are sim only, so there must be some technical reason it's so much cheaper which makes no sense when there is no 5G coverage for about 95% of the UK so assumedly they need to put up many more masts.

What's going on?

fohat.digs:
The spy chip taps into your bank account to trickle money out of it.

Findecanor:
Makes perfect sense. This is to make people switch to the 5G contract, despite the crappy coverage. And they need more 5G customers to justify putting up more masts. Then they'll increase the price of 5G once enough people are on.

Darthbaggins:
Still waiting, but have noticed a degradation in my 4G LTE since the push for 5G from Verizon.  Also me upgrading my lines to 5G would end up costing me more in my bill even with their "Deals".

suicidal_orange:

--- Quote from: Findecanor on Sat, 05 June 2021, 09:11:54 ---Makes perfect sense. This is to make people switch to the 5G contract, despite the crappy coverage.

--- End quote ---
Do 5G devices just use the 4G network everywhere then?  It's not even crappy coverage like the old days where you had to go outside to make a call, it's literally no coverage for 40 miles in any direction from here (cities only)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version