Author Topic: Best mouse for FPS games?  (Read 51822 times)

Offline Gunni

Re: Best mouse for FPS games?
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 00:26:11 »
I'm not sure what makes a mouse good for "FPS Games" but I use a Razer DeathAdder 2013 and I really like it.
CM Storm Quickfire TK w/ Browns HHKB Pro 2

Offline Emospence

« Reply #101 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 02:22:43 »
You guys are probably talking about different mice.  The G400 is not the G400s, they're two different products.

I'll always prefer a mouse that just mouses well.  I hate gimmick features.  If it were my choice, I'd have something just like the G400 except without a scroll wheel.  I guess it's a minority opinion because I've never really heard anyone else complain about scroll wheels, but I think it's a ****ty, useless innovation.  If we could go back to mice having a button in the center instead like they did back in the unix days, we'd be so much better off.  I never really use my scroll wheel in games, but a central button is something I could use all the time.

I don't think I could do without a scroll wheel now :/
Keyboards: Topre Realforce 87UW 55g x 2
Mice: Zowie EC1 eVo CL x 2
Mousepads: Artisan Hien VE x 2, Razer Mantis Speed

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #102 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 05:15:19 »
Just curious; how is the G400 nothing like the MX518? It's the exact same shape, the earlier models even had sensors with prediction like on the MX518.

It just felt less 'worth the money', it's kind of hard to describe, let's take the mousewheel for expamle, it just felt not very reliable when scrolling. I'm not talking about the sensor, just the way the mouse feels in my hand.

You guys are probably talking about different mice.  The G400 is not the G400s, they're two different products.

I'll always prefer a mouse that just mouses well.  I hate gimmick features.  If it were my choice, I'd have something just like the G400 except without a scroll wheel.  I guess it's a minority opinion because I've never really heard anyone else complain about scroll wheels, but I think it's a ****ty, useless innovation.  If we could go back to mice having a button in the center instead like they did back in the unix days, we'd be so much better off.  I never really use my scroll wheel in games, but a central button is something I could use all the time.

I have to agree with you on this one. Three mouse buttons are extremely useful, the middle one for autoscrolling and copypasta (@ X.Org), and the wheel is usually hard to press. Moreover, scrolling with the wheel leads to repetitive motions... and the you know the RSI thing.

I have to give credit to Apple for using a trackball on the Mighty Mouse;  the Lenovo mouse with a trackpoint could be interesting as well... and at last but not least the scrolling mode on the Kensington SlimBlade is awesome. If they at least used thumb-operated wheels more (MSTE and Logitech MX Revolution, if I'm not mistaken).

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #103 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 06:19:47 »
Just curious; how is the G400 nothing like the MX518? It's the exact same shape, the earlier models even had sensors with prediction like on the MX518.

It just felt less 'worth the money', it's kind of hard to describe, let's take the mousewheel for expamle, it just felt not very reliable when scrolling. I'm not talking about the sensor, just the way the mouse feels in my hand.

Eh, the G400s and G400 are pretty much identical physically, the only difference is the surface materials on part of the s and the new sensor. Shape is pretty important for how a mouse feels, so considering that they are the exact same shape I think considering them widely different products is a bit weird.

Any mice out there the same shape as the G5 or its successors, or a bit wider?

If you want that shape I think you'll have to stick with Logitech, no other brand(that I am aware of) uses that shape or anything that feels much like it. The G500s is probably your best bet, but it's pretty much the same shape as the G5, although I think the thumb rest is a bit wider.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #104 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 10:41:37 »
If you want that shape I think you'll have to stick with Logitech, no other brand(that I am aware of) uses that shape or anything that feels much like it. The G500s is probably your best bet, but it's pretty much the same shape as the G5, although I think the thumb rest is a bit wider.

The only non-Logitech mouse that's close to that shape is the Razer Imperator, which I believe was developed to be direct competition to the G400/G500 mice.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #105 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 10:44:34 »

The only non-Logitech mouse that's close to that shape is the Razer Imperator, which I believe was developed to be direct competition to the G400/G500 mice.

More like MX518 and G5, the Imperator has been around for some time and was intended to be an evolution of the DA(and also probably, as you say, to directly compete with logitech), I haven't had the chance to try one yet but I saw one in a store today and was so damn tempted to get it.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #106 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 19:47:29 »
They've fixed the cord issue on the G400s.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #107 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 16:53:02 »
The Imperator looks good.  Unfortunately, I've read a lot of problems with quality control and longevity issues on this mouse.  I'd like something that lasts me a long while like my G5 which was purchased in late 2005.

I'm looking at trying the Kone XTD but time and debating which will help my forearm pain out the most between a new mouse and ditching my Ergo 4000 for a Ducky G2 Pro w/ reds. 

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #108 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 19:41:21 »
Get rid of that ergo 4k. That board gave me wrist problems like nobody's business.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #109 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 13:42:31 »
Get rid of that ergo 4k. That board gave me wrist problems like nobody's business.

I would love to.  Right now my alternatives I have on hand are worse.  Model M and SGI Granite.  I've tried both and the forearm pain comes more quickly than the 4k.  I'll probably end up getting the G2 Pro and hopefully pick up a mouse as well just to seal the deal.  The G5's behaving for now but clicking is getting a bit hard at times.

Offline sor

« Reply #110 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 14:29:03 »
MX518-G400-G400s i own and use all this mice!
ESPORTS!

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #111 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 20:31:42 »

Yep, the MX518, G400 and G500S are the ones in my possession and they are quality mice compared to anything made by Razer.  Please avoid that company's horribly made components.  There is a reason why their keyboards are ignored here on Geekhack and so should their current range of rodents, just not worth the money they're asking.

Offline Emospence

« Reply #112 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 23:02:25 »

Yep, the MX518, G400 and G500S are the ones in my possession and they are quality mice compared to anything made by Razer.  Please avoid that company's horribly made components.  There is a reason why their keyboards are ignored here on Geekhack and so should their current range of rodents, just not worth the money they're asking.

People seem to love their Deathadder?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #113 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 23:14:49 »
The DA is amazing. Wouldn't buy anything else by Razer (except the new Naga, but only for a specific purpose).

Offline Emospence

« Reply #114 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 04:14:30 »

The lip on the right side is annoying me more and more  :mad:

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #115 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 04:57:20 »

If they dropped the price to around $10.00 each, which is what it's really worth  8)

My next rodent purchase shall be the Steelseries Ikari which looks good in images but need to actually have it in my hands to see if it's worth the price tag.  Too many mice now are way over priced because of stupid coloured lights that turn on and off and look like cheap Las Vegas Slot Machines (and yes they do keep your money).

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #116 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 10:16:30 »

If they dropped the price to around $10.00 each, which is what it's really worth  8)

My next rodent purchase shall be the Steelseries Ikari which looks good in images but need to actually have it in my hands to see if it's worth the price tag.  Too many mice now are way over priced because of stupid coloured lights that turn on and off and look like cheap Las Vegas Slot Machines (and yes they do keep your money).

I like my Razer DA13 just fine, although it is a bit light to be an ideal mouse for me.  I keep looking at reviews for the R.A.T. 7, if I find one used for a decent price I may try that one next.

Offline zerone

« Reply #117 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 10:28:39 »
I just bought a Genius Maurus, and it is good. Genius has 30 years of experience in mouse technologie, but they don't make sick brand prices like Razer. I was looking for a small mouse, because i'm a high sensitivity - fingertip grip user. The only thing that annoyed me was the 20g weight which is installed inside of the mouse. But with a small screwdriver it is removable too and i love the mouse now. ^.^