Author Topic: Ergo Boards and Alternative Layouts now have their own top-level forum!  (Read 17957 times)

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Ergo Boards and Alternative Layouts have been merged into keyboards
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 10:34:11 »
Well bugger me, sordna has just posted almost exactly what I was typing... I'll still post it anyway!

It's not a 'band-aid', it's a completely logical subset of 'keyboards'! I can see the logic of merging ergo with alternative layouts, since they are kinda related, but I really fail to understand your hatred of subforums. Honestly, whatever you do, 'keyboards' is going to be the catch-all forum, and it will always be noisy. Attempting to curtail that is a waste of time. Subforums are THE best way to give signal some space to breathe.

to be clear, my #1 goal in any and all changes to geekhack is to expand its userbase

If you mean expand the numbers, that seems to be happening regardless.

If you mean expand the breadth of different types of user, then so far, and even considering the proposed future changes that have been mentioned, I'd say it's a whopping fail. When someone new arrives, they'll make a judgement based on the main forum page. If it doesn't show breadth, they're more likely to decide that GH isn't for them (since the alternative 'latest posts' view will always be 95% noise).

Offline Gerk

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 11:35:59 »
Hi,
if you want to expand the user base, an ergo/alternative layout thread is actually helpful, because there are folks dedicated and into these topics. I agree perhaps it was too much granularity having ergo and alternative be different subforums, how about merging those 2 into 1 ?
But that one subforum MUST BE separate from the main keyboards thread. I used to go into geekhack, check the ergo, check the alternative layouts, read new posts, post any replies, etc.
Now I cannot do that. If I want to see what is happening in those areas, I have to sift through hundreds of new posts/threads, especially if I haven't logged into GH for a few days.
Without an ergo/alternative subforum you will not be attracting these types of folks, and you could actually lose the ones you had.

Regarding a megathread: that does not scale, at some point it will stop being maintained. A subforum is the *exact tool* needed here.

Can we please have it back? Again, feel free to merge ergo & alternative into one subforum, but it needs to be separate from the "keyboards" kitchen sink.

thanks,
sordna, former ergo subforum moderator

Well said sordna and I couldn't agree more.  I'd be very happy with a combined subforum of ergo, alternate key layouts (and anything else applicable), whatever it takes to get the ergo stuff back out of the main keyboard forum.
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 11:41:04 »
ok, i've one-upped you guys. i've created a new top-level forum called "ergonomics" (this covers alternative layouts, since frankly they're all about ergonomics). the problem is i don't know what to repopulate it with. i want to add at least one global mod that can help me with this forum and make it the #1 resource for computer ergonomics on the net. my default was soarer (and the offer still stands, frankly), but i'm open to other volunteers. please PM me.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Gerk

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 11:43:33 »
Thanks mkawa.  That sounds like a great way to get the ergo stuff out of the keyboards forum and a good pairing as most people I know into ergo keyboards have at least some interest in other ergo items :)
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Ergo Boards and Alternative Layouts now have their own top-level forum!
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 12:19:50 »
the problem is i don't know what to repopulate it with.

Oh dear. That's something I feared when I wrote this:

indeed, the act of removing the subforum was distinctly destructive!

"More haste, less speed" springs to mind. If you had waited until tags were working, and tagged all those threads, at least it would have been possible to move the threads back without much fuss.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 14:56:09 »
Thanks mkawa.  That sounds like a great way to get the ergo stuff out of the keyboards forum and a good pairing as most people I know into ergo keyboards have at least some interest in other ergo items :)
I couldn't have said it better myself!   Great solution combining several ergonomic disciplines.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 18:11:38 »
I anyone has a specific thread they want moved over there let me know on here, I'm going through keyboards page by page and moving the ergo stuff over

EDIT: Nevermind I found a way to repopulate it with the old threads it's a tedious method but better then me going through page by page, give me a little time i'll get this done
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 August 2012, 18:20:31 by tsangan »
Keyboardless

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #57 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 21:41:47 »
Many thanks, tsangan!

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 23:35:34 »
Back from dinner gonna move some more threads
Keyboardless

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 19 August 2012, 02:55:50 »
Sweet. Thanks guys!
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 19 August 2012, 06:52:34 »
Some times dreams do come true.  The ergonomic forum looks great. Thanks tsangan.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 19 August 2012, 11:50:20 »
Good move. Who knows, maybe better than before.

You may want to do a search of my screen name....I usually posted about ergonomics, mods, or stupid forum in-fighting...so you can repopulate some of that.....I'm pretty much a 3 trick pony.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 19 August 2012, 11:58:49 »
IN i expect you to exercise your full and prodigious expertise on chairs and chair-mounting keyboards in this new forum

ps, my upper back hurts like crazy

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 19 August 2012, 12:01:28 »
.....ps, my upper back hurts like crazy

IN recommends:
Less time with keyboards, more time with  girlfriend.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants

Offline hoggy

« Reply #65 on: Sun, 19 August 2012, 14:24:16 »
Discuss these topics in the main board at your leisure :D

A bit late, but yay!
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
Ergo Boards and Alternative Layouts now have their own top-level forum!
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 19 August 2012, 14:34:23 »
Glad that ergo has its own forum again. I want my ergo Dox!  I am running out of keyboards to solder.

Offline sordna

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 19 August 2012, 18:26:57 »
THANK YOU mkawa and tsangan !!!
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Lanx

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 20 August 2012, 14:23:04 »
ok, i've one-upped you guys. i've created a new top-level forum called "ergonomics" (this covers alternative layouts, since frankly they're all about ergonomics). the problem is i don't know what to repopulate it with. i want to add at least one global mod that can help me with this forum and make it the #1 resource for computer ergonomics on the net. my default was soarer (and the offer still stands, frankly), but i'm open to other volunteers. please PM me.

imo you don't need an ergonomic forum mod, why? the only thing the ergonomic forum mod would do would be to browse the "regular" keyboard forum, go "oh look someone posted a "i need ergonomic keyboard help" in the regular forums, lemme move that to the ergonomic forums", which any mod would do anyway since i'm pretty sure the "regular" forum is always being checked.

don't get me wrong, i'm not having a "ergo forum don't need no mod" mentality, this is just from a resource management perspective, you can really just let the ergo forum go, and if an ergo forum regular (this becomes apparent really early on) drops a pm that, "hey i think such and such thread needs a bit of moderation", once a month, seems hands off.

Offline Gerk

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 20 August 2012, 15:17:29 »
I think he was just looking for help to move all the ergo stuff back into this forum (which seems to have already mostly happened)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 21 August 2012, 11:50:09 »
yes, tsangan stepped in and made this happen. otherwise, we are not looking to expand the mod team at this time.

thanks to all, tsangan especially, but the old-timer ergo enthusiasts who are stepping up and answering people's questions with a great deal of insight as well. you are very much appreciated. thank you all for convincing me to do this. i think it's turned out quite wonderfully :)

Offline Tony

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 10:10:19 »
Thanks for ergo and keycap forum, would you guys recover the alternative layout subforum as well?
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline sordna

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 11:34:06 »
Thanks for ergo and keycap forum, would you guys recover the alternative layout subforum as well?

The ergonomics forum covers layouts if you look at the description, so this is it I believe.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Tony

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 23 August 2012, 21:42:02 »
Thanks, I've found it.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline boli

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 25 August 2012, 11:27:01 »
Oh there's a separate forum for ergo & alt layouts again, awesome!  :D

I couldn't be bothered checking the noisy keyboards forum for this stuff, so I stayed away from the new GH, very glad to see this change. Thanks mods!
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com

Offline Piro

« Reply #76 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 06:49:52 »
This is wonderful. Thank you!