Author Topic: USB Nightmares  (Read 2079 times)

Offline jemkeys

USB Nightmares
« on: Sat, 13 September 2008, 11:46:10 »
I really wish keyboards and mice still used the ps/2 connector.

My motherboard seems to be extremely picky when it comes to what USB devices I have plugged in each of the sockets.

My HHKB Pro 2 is only recognized by the bios when it is in this one connector.  Any other USB slot, and its not recognized.
Easy enough, I figured.

But then I had other problems.  With the 360 wireless adapter plugged into another slot, the mouse would no longer work (on startup) when it worked fine before.  Then I switched the slots around until I found a combination where they both would work.

Now my printer.  Every time I plug it in, whether into the front USB ports or the back, the mouse quits working instantly.  

So I've just been making sure to save everything before I need to print, then I've been restarting after the print job so I can use the mouse again.

Offline Waves77

USB Nightmares
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13 September 2008, 12:01:42 »
Quote from: jemkeys;8712
I really wish keyboards and mice still used the ps/2 connector.

You can get usb->ps/2 adapters for really cheap on ebay. One of my boards came with one (I think it was the Filco) and it works like a charm. Will save you a usb port.

Sorry to hear about your problems, what motherboard are you using?
Current collection:
\'91 Model M (1391401), \'93 1391401, \'91 Model M (industrial 1394946), Dell AT101W, Apple Extended II (M3501), Cherry G84-4100, Filco FKB 104M/EB, Macally 96, Das III Pro, HHKB Pro 2.

Offline jemkeys

USB Nightmares
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 13 September 2008, 12:38:02 »
Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
USB Nightmares
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 14 September 2008, 08:01:25 »
Sounds like you've got a flaky mobo.

However, as for the wireless adapter conflicting with the mouse, try seeing if using a different OS (a Linux live CD would work great for this) would fix things.