Author Topic: [IC] Allison + Matilda - a 70-ish% Keyboard + Numpad  (Read 9086 times)

Offline mrpetrov

[IC] Allison + Matilda - a 70-ish% Keyboard + Numpad
« on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 09:59:19 »
    Hi folks, here is the pre-GB advertisement for the Allison keyboard and its optional matching numpad, the Matilda.

Sound Tests and Build Stream

Allison final prototype sound tests: POM half plate and Carbon Fiber full plate with lubed Lavenders and Cherry Black Hyperglides

Allison final prototype sound test by Alexotos: POM full plate with lubed Lavenders

Allison final prototype build stream by Alexotos

My Instagram: includes many Allison pictures over time.

Details

• GB open on 1112 Feb 2022, 1400 GMT at prototypist.net
  • US$500 for the Allison keyboard
  • US$175 for the Matilda numpad (optional)
  • 200 unit MOQ

The colors that will be offered are:
  • E-white
  • Black
  • Champagne-Beige (please note, this is not the same color as the prototype above)
  • Dark Green

The plate options that will be offered are (each available in full or half plate versions):
  • Polycarbonate
  • POM
  • Carbon Fiber
  • Aluminum (6063)

Design Features

The Allison features:
  • A unique layout marrying a 60% form factor, but with function keys and a left-macro column
  • A full isolation poron-gasket mount
  • A 6.0 degree typing angle and front edge height of 20mm
  • A large brass weight with an acoustic cavity
  • Plate options catering to most typing feel preferences – I prefer a relatively soft half plate with the Allison, such as polycarbonate or POM, for a nice bouncy feel
  • An optional internal silicon ring which sits inside the keyboard cavity to help prevent any impact from bottoming out when using more flexible plate materials, such as polycarbonate or POM – it has little to no impact on sound and is entirely optional to use (I don’t bottom out in every day usage, but if you have big strong fingers, maybe you will!)
  • An optional numpad (Matilda) which shares the design aesthetic of the main board, and which can be used in a traditional, southpaw or all-1u (e.g. artisan display/macro pad) layout

Background

The keyboard itself is named after my wife, Allison, in the hope that she would think I was being romantic and, as a result, wouldn’t bust my ass over the time and cost needed to create a custom keyboard. Of course, this strategy didn’t work and now I am stuck calling it Allison for fear of reprisal. Half jokes aside, Allison helped me with the design phase, especially around the base contours, the badge and the choice of colors.

The badge is a stylized representation of Allison practising yoga (don’t ask me what this move is called, I have no idea). After providing a hilariously **** paper sketch of what I thought I was after, onecreativemind (OCM) turned it into the badge you see today on the right.

OCM also turned a copy of Allison’s actual signature into the (small) stylized name you will see on the bottom left corner of the weight in the production version.

The underside of the case was designed to draw on both human curves and elements from some of my favorite keyboards that I either own or have had the pleasure to see.

Design and Rationale Process

I’m a keyboard enthusiast and I needed a keyboard that was optimized for own needs, so I took on the task of designing a keyboard with a layout and aesthetic which was different from anything else available. Specifically, I wanted:
  • Function keys for both gaming (especially MMOs and ARPGs) and work (i.e. Excel, Word, etc);
  • A left macro column that I could use to control media and scrolling while keeping my right hand free to hold my mouse, while also maximizing space for the mouse by removing superfluous keys right of the alphas;
  • A separate numpad that shared the aesthetic of the main board for situational use; and
  • A sound profile which appeals to me – namely, a sound profile where you get both a deep bass coupled with a clean top-end clack, but minimizing mid tones - i.e. a deep bass and crisp top-end, but minimizing mid-range tones. I did *not* want this to sound like the currently popular foam-dominated boards which I personally find pretty boring and homogenous with their dominant mid-tones. Please note, I am not promising this sound profile with whatever combination of parts you might choose – but this is the sound profile I was reaching for and achieved to my satisfaction: Allison final prototype sound tests: POM and Carbon Fiber plates with lubed Lavenders and Cherry Black Hyperglides

The design process – I don’t know CAD and I’m too old to want to learn – was initially undertaken with the help of the Sith lord, Tesletron, who worked on the very initial design with me in mid-2019. After that first prototype proof of concept, I then worked solely with James at Alchemist Keyboards and Jae at protoTypist to completely rebuild the design from the ground up in CAD, with Yiancar designing the PCB.

We did the second round of prototypes in 2020, which were the first protos to include the brass weight. We ran multiple versions of the acoustic cavity to iterate on a solution which, in my judgment, produced the best sound result.

I have been dailying my Allison for many months now, and I am happy that it is in a form which is ready for GB. Jae has kindly offered to run the GB through protoTypist, which should give prospective GB participants comfort given his specific experience with the manufacturer and his own strong track record with running many GBs successfully to completion.

What’s Included?

Included in the purchase will be:
  • Top case in color and layout (WK or WKL) of your choice
  • Bottom case in color of your choice
  • Brass weight and badge
  • Plate of your choice
  • PCB
  • Hardware
  • Gaskets
  • Internal silicon ring (optional to use)
  • Feet (optional to use)
  • Hard carry case

Note, additional plates, PCBs and gaskets will be available as add-on extras.

FAQ

Q: Why no arrows?
A: I wanted to maximize mouse space, and I am comfortable either using arrows on a layer or, alternatively – on the WK version – you can toggle the right shift/ctrl/fn/alt keys to act as semi-permanent arrow keys (as they are essentially symmetrical around the right shift key)

Q: Why no feet cutouts?
A: I (almost) always use a deskpad, so I designed the board around not using feet and I strongly disliked the look of the base with feet or cutouts. That said, protoTypist will include four molded feet designed by James. These are self-adhesive, molded feet which you can use on the base wherever you like.

Q: Why is it not seamless?
A: Because it has a seam. And all the best sounding boards have seams. I kid, I kid?

Q: Are there both WK and WKL versions available?
A: Yes.

Q: Do the PCB and plate support ISO?
A: The PCB supports ISO, but there will not be an ISO plate option as part of the GB itself.

Q: Will you make the plate files public?
A: Yes, protoTypist will make the plate files public following the close of the GB.

Q: Does the PCB support alps switches?
A: No, hipster.

Q: Does the PCB include an accessible reset button?
A: Yes, it does.

Q: Does the PCB include ESD protection?
A: Yes. ESD protection is on the USB daughterboard.

Q: Is the PCB QMK and VIA compatible?

Q: What is the connection method?
A: USB-C using a standard USB daughterboard.

Q: Why didn’t you use 4 case screws across each edge in the case?
A: Because we didn’t need to and we wanted to hide one screw in Allison’s USB hole.

Q: What are your favorite plate materials to use with the Allison?
A: In no particular order – polycarbonate, POM and carbon fiber. I prefer half plates for the sound and bounce.

Q: Any building tips?
A: We wanted to preserve a bouncy, flexible typing experience so the poron gaskets we're using are very soft. Also, while we have case alignment posts, we didn't want anything rubbing up and down against the pcb while you typed - so we don't use plate or pcb alignment posts or similar (e.g. shims). This means, it will take some manual adjustment to center the plate to your satisfaction - it's not hard, but it is somewhat fiddly to get it centered depending on how diligent you are.

Q: How will the GB be conducted?
A: To be confirmed, but likely a FCFS sale through protoTypist’s website.

Q: How many units are for sale in the GB?
A: To be confirmed.

Q: Will there be extras?

Q: How long will it take to get produced once the GB completes?
A: protoTypist estimates 9-12 months based on current supply chain logistics.

Q: Any color health warnings you want to make?
A: Yes. With seamed boards, you should expect some minor color differentiation between the top and bottom halves. Jae will seek to match the tops and bottoms with the best color matching during QC. Further, you should expect imperfect color matching between the numpad and the main board, if you choose to buy the numpad. Again, Jae will seek to match colors as best as he reasonably can between the main cases and numpads during QC.

Q: Is this price reasonable?
A: The price is set by the vendor, protoTypist. I am taking zero remuneration from the GB, nor am I recouping any of the out-of-pocket costs I have incurred for manufacturing the prototypes and paying for the design and CAD work. 

Q: Anyone to thank?
A: Allison and my kids, James, Jae, Yian, onecreativemind, mechmerlin, alexotos for the pics, the first round proto guinea pigs, the hole, TC, BK, pdxkbd club, this cool community generally. The end game is the friendzzzzzzzzzzzzzz……….

[/list]
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 February 2022, 08:10:12 by mrpetrov »

Offline mrpetrov

Re: [IC] Allison + Matilda - a 60FWB (60% + F-row with benefits) + Numpad
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 09:59:55 »
Reserved

Offline KneeDeep

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 10:03:59 »
You had me at black. Very nice board, been stoked about it since I got to try the proto! Numpad is a nice touch

Offline singabore

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 10:06:28 »
where's mine

Offline Rik.caffeinated

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 10:06:53 »
Big fan of Allison and Matilda. Not so much of Petrov. Any news on the Harold?

Any pics of the sound cavity you care to share with the class?

Excited for this one I really love typing on the proto!

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 10:07:21 »
Loved working on this board with you - I'm glad to see it finally reaching GB  :thumb: Beautiful!

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 10:13:00 »
Big fan of Allison and Matilda. Not so much of Petrov. Any news on the Harold?

Any pics of the sound cavity you care to share with the class?

Excited for this one I really love typing on the proto!

Thanks I think! Harold for another day...

Cavity shot coming soon, will add it to the OP as soon as available.

Offline yoniwolf1202

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 10:31:08 »
Ayyyy I've been waiting for this. Hopefully I can pick one up and GLWGB!

Offline nullinasou

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 10:39:37 »
keyboard themed after vtuber: i sleep

keyboard themed after somebody else's wife: real ****?

Offline ilikerustoo

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 10:46:49 »
Finally!

Offline Juego

• True
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 10:52:22 »
Nice!!
#KeyboardGang

Offline pears

• Sneezing is painful
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 10:53:24 »
Why no VIAL support with VIA being basically DOA at this point ?
Getting punched in the face was the best thing that ever happened to me.

Offline Carcha

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 10:56:58 »
Great IC for a great board. Good luck with the GB petrov! <3

Offline darthcapn

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 11:33:24 »
Love the curves on this thing.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Praxis | Portal | Frog F13 | Vega | Sat75 | F2-84 | Iron 165 | KFE CE | Spring | Pandora | Mr Suit | MGA | Jelly Epoch

Dolice | Glare | Vmax chyuu | W1-AT | Hoshizora | iron 160 | Nazaré | Tomo

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 12:07:05 »
Absolutely beautiful.

Offline tdev

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 12:08:53 »
Looks great man! Interesting design! Love it <3

Offline whirlwind

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 12:29:49 »
Looks fantastic and I can see a lot of thought was put into this.

That said, is there an IC link where we can fill it out and the possibility to add a silver color for the case?

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 12:46:44 »
Looks fantastic and I can see a lot of thought was put into this.

That said, is there an IC link where we can fill it out and the possibility to add a silver color for the case?

We don't have an IC form and pT didn't really want to offer a fifth color. That said, here is a first round proto (no weight or brass badge on the first round protos) in silver so you can get a sense for what silver would look like. If there is strong anecdotal demand for silver in here I can try to convince Jae and myself to run it.

Offline Sandy

• Formerly cogitoergofemme
  • Sandy - Peach Tray Maker
    • the peach · studio
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 13:01:37 »
This isn’ta 60 it’s a 70 and technically a 75 sans arrows. But it’s nice nice curves. I think the weight could be more inspired
🍑C11🍑KWA.6🍑GPK60 47-GR1RE🍑Vast60🍑Rose60🍑EHKB🍑Viktus Sinne🍑Boop65🍑Jelly60 Pro🍑Fuji65🍑Ginkgo 65🍑S7.7🍑Treasure Type-9 II🍑Thermal R2🍑Jelly 60🍑

Offline Capsy

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 13:24:20 »
Looks nice. Good luck Mr. Petrov !!

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 13:30:26 »
This isn’ta 60 it’s a 70 and technically a 75 sans arrows. But it’s nice nice curves. I think the weight could be more inspired

Thanks for the feedback, I'll have a think about changing the layout nomenclature - you may be onto something.

EDIT: Changed title to 70-ish% given this is closer to what people think about when they hear 70 or 75, rather than 60. We'd struggled with the nomenclature so appreciate the feedback and adjusted accordingly.

« Last Edit: Tue, 25 January 2022, 13:33:30 by mrpetrov »

Offline KneeDeep

Re: [IC] Allison + Matilda - a 70-ish% Keyboard + Numpad
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 13:38:44 »
Put FWB back in the name or I walk

Offline paulgali

• SKME
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 13:45:39 »
Finally Petrov! This looks lovely, and I usually don't like 75s...is this 75? 70? AAAA brain pls help :D GLWIC

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 15:01:28 »
Put FWB back in the name or I walk

Damnit ok.

Offline Nurseh

• Sorry for always apologizing
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 15:27:18 »
Great looking board, was fun to watch it get built. Love the reason behind the design decisions!

Offline fishbiscuit13

• do you realize ???
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 17:23:49 »
Will the Matilda be available on its own? Allison layout isn't really my cup of tea but I've been itching for the numpad since you first posted it to instagram.

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 17:40:59 »
Will the Matilda be available on its own? Allison layout isn't really my cup of tea but I've been itching for the numpad since you first posted it to instagram.

You bet it will!

Offline xef

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 17:59:27 »
Wow, looks and sounds great, amazing job. +1 for running it in silver.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 18:12:02 »
Good job Mr and Mrs Petrov

treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 28 January 2022, 18:09:53 »
Updated OP with Alexotos' sound test today - so people should have a pretty good spectrum of completely unaltered sound test on a few different combos of plate (including full and half plates) and switch.

Offline peacdesign

• Design Studio
    • Peac Design
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 29 January 2022, 00:33:01 »
Beautiful board - love the layout and appreciate the matching numpad for those that use them!

Offline ArsChromatica

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 30 January 2022, 12:42:17 »
This is a beautiful board! I have a question regarding the layout: For the 7u bottom row, is it possible to use the 1u keys located in between the 1.5u keys (i.e., Tsangan-style bottom row)? I understand that these keys would be blocked on a WKL board, but is this layout available on a WK board? I would be using the 1u key as a down arrow key on a layer, so WKL is not an option for me.

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 30 January 2022, 17:10:19 »
This is a beautiful board! I have a question regarding the layout: For the 7u bottom row, is it possible to use the 1u keys located in between the 1.5u keys (i.e., Tsangan-style bottom row)? I understand that these keys would be blocked on a WKL board, but is this layout available on a WK board? I would be using the 1u key as a down arrow key on a layer, so WKL is not an option for me.

In fact - you're absolutely right - the current pcb layout is a fixed Tsangan bottom row so, with WK, it would be 1.5/1/1.5

Let me get that fixed in the OP - thank you!

Offline Chubbs856

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 30 January 2022, 18:54:10 »
How do we get alerted for GB?

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 30 January 2022, 18:55:37 »
How do we get alerted for GB?

I'll post a GB thread in the GB section - alternatively I'd suggest either following me or jae_prototypist (the vendor) on Instagram. Fingers crossed it will launch within the next two weeks.

Offline Kinesiologist

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 30 January 2022, 19:55:32 »
really dig the curves, will keep a close eye on this

Offline shxWN

• Everything I do is visionary
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 30 January 2022, 23:25:47 »
GOATED board from a loser

love you petrov

don’t let a monkey touch this one
Kepler FC65 || Frog TKL || Whale75 || Sirius 60 ||

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 31 January 2022, 00:05:41 »
GOATED board from a loser

love you petrov

don’t let a monkey touch this one

Ha, thanks I think!

Monkey’s not touching Allison…

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 31 January 2022, 08:57:30 »

I have updated the OP and KLE layout picture to show the fixed bottom row (7u only, WK or WKL). Thanks for finding this mistake, all fixed now.

Offline ArsChromatica

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 31 January 2022, 10:33:18 »

I have updated the OP and KLE layout picture to show the fixed bottom row (7u only, WK or WKL). Thanks for finding this mistake, all fixed now.

Thank you for confirming the layout. This is the first board in this price range that I've really felt compelled to buy...the layout and aesthetics are right up my alley. Looking forward to the GB!

Offline Iksion

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 01 February 2022, 03:06:51 »
Glad it is comming! Thanks :thumb:
KBD75v1 | Kira | Melody96 | TX75v2 | TX-CP | hbcp | Keycult No.2 rev.1 | NK65 | Duck Octagon v3 | Percent Volt | TX65v2 | KY-01 | Sunsetter | Mr. Suit | J-01 | Dolphin 2021 | Phase One 65 | KBD8x Mark ii

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 01 February 2022, 03:17:15 »
holy **** this is hot. jeez, louise, i might actually buy a 75% for once.
Aeon, TGR Jane V2, Dolphin 2021, Gherkin, Model M, 5°, NCR80, M0110-A

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 01 February 2022, 03:22:17 »
I know i just made a comment saying that the keyboard is hot, but i'd like to add that your wife is hot, too. jk Honestly, though, the lack of arrows is just insane. I hate exploded arrows, it just makes every keyboard look like an id80, gmmk, q1, or otherwise just cheap.
Aeon, TGR Jane V2, Dolphin 2021, Gherkin, Model M, 5°, NCR80, M0110-A

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 04 February 2022, 11:26:15 »
OP updated for GB details (1112 Feb 2022, 1400 GMT at prototypist.net.
US$500 for Allison, US$175 for Matilda (optional).
200 unit MOQ.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 February 2022, 08:10:30 by mrpetrov »