Author Topic: [GB] CNC Alum. Cooler Master TKL cases r2, SHIPPING  (Read 186986 times)

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
Re: [GB] CNC Aluminum Cases for Cooler Master TKL boards (r2) ORDERING
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 15:33:37 »
I already spent so much on keyboards! I'm trying to psych myself into pulling the trigger on this. They all look gorgeous and I definitely don't want to miss out...
Leopold FC660C lubed, silenced with landing pads | Norbatouch lubed, silenced with hyperspheres | Poker II MX Blue with vortex aluminum case, vortex red/white doubeshot pbt caps and o-rings | CODE TKL MX Clear with Miami | Unicomp Buckling Spring | GMMK with rainbow vomit switches, mostly jailhouse blues and pandealios

Offline orpheo

« Reply #151 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 16:15:54 »
The Pexon connector is slightly larger. I resolve this by filling down the edges of the connector, it work perfect now.

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #152 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 16:17:12 »
Could someone explain why a Pexon cable is any different from any other USB cable, and why it doesn't "work" with a Norbauer case?

I can only speculate, having not seen one in person, but I presume they're merely putting a heat shrink tube over the normal USB connector, which increases its size slightly beyond the USB spec. This sort of thing has a very desirable aesthetic effect in general, I would say, but it just so happens that it means the connector is now larger than the USB spec says it should be. I intentionally designed the pocket in my case to fit snugly around a connector of the largest size within the spec, so it would give a nice tight visual look. After getting feedback about the Pexon cables, I thought about opening it up a bit more to accommodate larger connectors, but I heard from multiple people that they prefer the look of the tight fit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #153 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 16:18:45 »
Could someone explain why a Pexon cable is any different from any other USB cable, and why it doesn't "work" with a Norbauer case?
I would assume the cutout in the case for the USB plug is not wide enough for the plastic housing on the cable. Like mentioned, should be fixable by changing the connector.
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #154 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 16:22:19 »
I already spent so much on keyboards! I'm trying to psych myself into pulling the trigger on this. They all look gorgeous and I definitely don't want to miss out...

Haha. Well, I absolutely don't want to talk anybody into joining the GB who isn't totally enthusiastic to participate, but if you're looking for an excuse: after the first round there was a vigorous after-GB market for these (see Mechmarket on Reddit), with most people selling them well above the GB price. Since I'm pretty sure this will be the last time I'll produce this design (I'd like to move onto other projects and am bad at multi-tasking), you could always look as it as an "investment," with the optionality of simply keeping it if you end up liking it. ;)

Offline zslane

« Reply #155 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 16:35:29 »
I can only speculate, having not seen one in person, but I presume they're merely putting a heat shrink tube over the normal USB connector, which increases its size slightly beyond the USB spec. This sort of thing has a very desirable aesthetic effect in general, I would say, but it just so happens that it means the connector is now larger than the USB spec says it should be. I intentionally designed the pocket in my case to fit snugly around a connector of the largest size within the spec, so it would give a nice tight visual look. After getting feedback about the Pexon cables, I thought about opening it up a bit more to accommodate larger connectors, but I heard from multiple people that they prefer the look of the tight fit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I see.

Well "colorizing" a connector with heat-shrink tubing is a very common option among custom cable makers, not just Pexon. In the future, I would recommend erring on the side of compatibility rather than maintaining such a tight fit with virtually zero tolerance for minor variability in connector size. I mean, I'm never going to see that tight fit, but I am going to see the color of the connector sticking out the back...

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #156 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 18:21:22 »
The Enter key doesn't fit on quite right due to the extra stems and the stabilizer housing, but it's not the end of the world. And it's easily solved by dremeling off the extra stems (acquiring an extra Enter key might not be a bad idea, so as to have an intact one still in one's set).

(Attachment Link)

noooooo don't damage the precious pulse set!

Offline zslane

« Reply #157 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 18:28:29 »
The Enter key doesn't fit on quite right due to the extra stems and the stabilizer housing, but it's not the end of the world. And it's easily solved by dremeling off the extra stems (acquiring an extra Enter key might not be a bad idea, so as to have an intact one still in one's set).

(Attachment Link)

I don't intend to. I will investigate drilling holes in the plate instead. Worst case scenario is that I just use the original Topre Enter key.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #158 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 18:31:21 »

(Attachment Link)

I don't intend to. I will investigate drilling holes in the plate instead. Worst case scenario is that I just use the original Topre Enter key.

Just to clarify for those who might be casually dropping into the thread, you're talking about keys on your RealForce numpad and not the case on offer in the current group buy, right? ;)

Offline zslane

« Reply #159 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 18:35:10 »
Yes, that's correct.

I was only trying to refute the notion that enhancing a Topre 23U numpad is pointless on the basis that you can't put nice MX-based keycaps on it. I don't want that to be the reason you disregard the idea of making an aluminum case for it.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #160 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 19:16:07 »
Yes, that's correct.

I was only trying to refute the notion that enhancing a Topre 23U numpad is pointless on the basis that you can't put nice MX-based keycaps on it. I don't want that to be the reason you disregard the idea of making an aluminum case for it.

It's definitely something I've thought about. I'm told that it's not Mac-compatible, however, which is a bit of a bummer for me personally. I use Windows too, but my Mac is my primary desktop computer because I like the Unix command line when I'm doing software development. Does anybody have experience using one on a Mac?

Offline cmc

« Reply #161 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 19:32:32 »
Looks like they attach to the socket on the PCB, and some have a crazy cylindrical connector, so maybe they can't fit through the opening?

https://pexonpcs.co.uk/collections/usb-cables/products/new-style-mod-kit

Offline richard912

« Reply #162 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 20:07:19 »
Looks like they attach to the socket on the PCB, and some have a crazy cylindrical connector, so maybe they can't fit through the opening?

Pexon's New Style Mod is made up of two parts, Connector 1 and Connector 2, both joined with the "crazy cylindrical connector".

Connector 1 connects to your MKB (mini or micro USB) while Connector 2 is connected to your PC. So, by having two Connector 1 in mini and micro USB respectively, makes it easier whence switching between different MKB. Simply unscrew the "crazy cylindrical connector", remove Connector 1 with mini USB, replace with other Connector 1 with micro USB, screw on and you're done.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #163 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 00:49:26 »

Pexon's New Style Mod is made up of two parts, Connector 1 and Connector 2, both joined with the "crazy cylindrical connector".

Connector 1 connects to your MKB (mini or micro USB) while Connector 2 is connected to your PC. So, by having two Connector 1 in mini and micro USB respectively, makes it easier whence switching between different MKB. Simply unscrew the "crazy cylindrical connector", remove Connector 1 with mini USB, replace with other Connector 1 with micro USB, screw on and you're done.

I've got to get myself one of these with both connectors. It will also make it possible to upgrade the cable to usb type-c if mechs move in that direction.

Offline boxfrommoon

« Reply #164 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 06:03:26 »
Hmm. Try swapping them. I think PuLSE is better on a black (or very dark) case because the alphas are all black. By going with a black case, you allow the turquoise mods to really pop, whereas they sort of just clash with the blue case since the blue tones are not the same (PuLSE mods are almost green). And the purple mods of the GMK Plum set might look good with a dark blue case, whereas the completely neutral gray tones of the tactical gray case don't really combine with any of the Plum colors. (I feel that a tan case would probably have been idea for Plum, but tan was not offered as an option.)

That is actually very good point! Here is the Galactic Plum setup:

This might be it! I really like how colors work together. What do you guys think? Should I just go with the blue case?

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #165 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 08:46:25 »

Haha. Well, I absolutely don't want to talk anybody into joining the GB who isn't totally enthusiastic to participate, but if you're looking for an excuse: after the first round there was a vigorous after-GB market for these (see Mechmarket on Reddit), with most people selling them well above the GB price. Since I'm pretty sure this will be the last time I'll produce this design (I'd like to move onto other projects and am bad at multi-tasking), you could always look as it as an "investment," with the optionality of simply keeping it if you end up liking it. ;)

That's what I think has convinced me to get it :P
Leopold FC660C lubed, silenced with landing pads | Norbatouch lubed, silenced with hyperspheres | Poker II MX Blue with vortex aluminum case, vortex red/white doubeshot pbt caps and o-rings | CODE TKL MX Clear with Miami | Unicomp Buckling Spring | GMMK with rainbow vomit switches, mostly jailhouse blues and pandealios

Offline orpheo

« Reply #166 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 13:30:03 »
You will like it for sure, but yeah it may cost top dough in 20 years ;p

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #167 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 14:03:22 »

Oh wow that's neato. I thought those style cables were for Filcos cause the stock cable isn't removeable or something...now I want one.
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline grandtheftspaceman

« Reply #168 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 04:27:06 »
Retro Refrigerator - you will be mine!
(RIP my wallet...)

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #169 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 08:05:14 »
Pulled the trigger on the tactical gray.  :cool:

Offline superpiya

« Reply #170 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 11:56:35 »

I have heard that as well, but I don't have a Pexon cable myself with which to test.

You can do this with the case, however. ;)

Is this Aerospace Aluminum or Tactical Gray ?

Also, you got PM  :D

Offline fine_italian_leather

« Reply #171 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 14:53:57 »

I have heard that as well, but I don't have a Pexon cable myself with which to test.

Thats regular gray from r1

Offline poolside

« Reply #172 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 18:53:45 »
So that's why, with my sincerest apologies, I have to declare the cases at the legal price paid.

Even those shipping straight from China, or were you talking specifically about the powder-coated cases that you would ship out yourself?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #173 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 19:32:13 »
So that's why, with my sincerest apologies, I have to declare the cases at the legal price paid.

Even those shipping straight from China, or were you talking specifically about the powder-coated cases that you would ship out yourself?

All of the above, I'm afraid.

Offline superpiya

« Reply #174 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 02:30:58 »

Thanks man  :thumb:

Is it lighter in color than the current R2 Tactical Gray?

« Reply #175 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 03:28:18 »

Thanks man  :thumb:

Is it lighter in color than the current R2 Tactical Gray?

Yes. The R1 gray you see in the video is Cool Gray 11 C while the R2 tactial gray is 2336 C.

Offline norbauer

Re: [GB] CNC Aluminum Cases Cooler Master TKL boards (r2) ORDERING FINAL HOURS
« Reply #176 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 10:42:32 »
OK, my dear keyboard comrades. Today is the final day. I don't plan to do another group buy of this design, so, no pressure, but please board the train if you want on at all, for the CNC Express is leaving the station as of midnight tonight.

Thanks so everyone who has supported this project so far! I'm very excited to get the ball rolling on manufacturing this Monday. I'm working on including a couple of nice little surprise upgrades compared to last time, which should make for a nicer "unboxing" experience than packing peanuts spilling all over the floor.  :cool:

Offline Atredl

« Reply #177 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 12:11:39 »
As much as I love the galaxy blue color you've chosen, I'm afraid in going to have to skip out on this GB. For me it just doesn't make sense to buy an upgrade to a board I don't use anymore. As much as I love the feeling of my Novatouch, layout has become the most important factor when deciding if I want to use a board. The Novatouch just doesn't have layer capability :(

I hope all of you enjoy your boards! I'll be here patiently waiting for a metal HHKB case to come out, and I might be waiting for a long time.

Offline zslane

« Reply #178 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 12:15:55 »
Are you selling your NovaTouch, Atredl? I mean, since you don't use it anymore and all...

Offline Atredl

« Reply #179 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 12:26:05 »
Are you selling your NovaTouch, Atredl? I mean, since you don't use it anymore and all...

Yeah, I'd consider it. I'll send you a time stamp through pm later today. I'm headed out the door shortly.

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #180 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 12:42:37 »
The Novatouch just doesn't have layer capability :(

Hasu's USB to USB mod works!

« Reply #181 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 14:30:36 »

Yes, this. Using a Novatouch with Hasu's TMK USB to USB converter right now and it's glorious.

Offline autobot

« Reply #182 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 15:37:57 »
Ordered Aerospace Silver and Tactical Gray!  :cool:

Thanks again for running this one last time Norbauer!  :thumb:

Offline norbauer

« Reply #183 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 16:40:27 »
Thanks again for running this one last time Norbauer!  :thumb:

My pleasure. Thanks for the kind words and support!  :D

Offline TheCanisDirus

« Reply #184 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 16:42:47 »
Whelp long time lurker and had to make an account finally to say just how excited i am for this!  I actually found "you" a while back when i tried to buy (but sadly missed) the Galaxy Class set.  I ordered a tactical grey case. 

Oh, and let me know if you ever re-release the Galaxy caps... or if you ever want to part with one of the sets i know you must have someplace sitting around ;P

Thanks for doing what you're doing!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #185 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 16:55:40 »
Whelp long time lurker and had to make an account finally to say just how excited i am for this!  I actually found "you" a while back when i tried to buy (but sadly missed) the Galaxy Class set.  I ordered a tactical grey case. 

Oh man, that's awesome! Welcome to GeekHack!!  :cool:

Oh, and let me know if you ever re-release the Galaxy caps... or if you ever want to part with one of the sets i know you must have someplace sitting around ;P

Actually, as it happens, I expect to have something pretty cool to announce about a new Galaxy Class++ set in a week or so. Stay tuned.  ;D  (If you're not already on my email list, I'll share any news there.)

Offline TheCanisDirus

« Reply #186 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 17:06:40 »

Actually, as it happens, I expect to have something pretty cool to announce about a new Galaxy Class++ set in a week or so. Stay tuned.  ;D  (If you're not already on my email list, I'll share any news there.)

Oh man, cannot wait!  I need a set of caps to go with this case  ;) signing up stat

Offline Atredl

« Reply #187 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 18:37:10 »

Where might I be able to get one?

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #188 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 19:17:45 »

Yeah, I'd consider it. I'll send you a time stamp through pm later today. I'm headed out the door shortly.

wow, score!

Offline LoLPirate

« Reply #189 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 19:18:36 »
Retro fridge here I come!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline norbauer

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #191 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 19:28:19 »

Offline norbauer

« Reply #192 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 19:30:09 »
Wow. I have been seriously one-upped in the GIF department there.

Offline richard912

« Reply #193 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 22:29:48 »
Wow. I have been seriously one-upped in the GIF department there.
Hahahaha....good one!!!

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #194 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 22:39:37 »
Still loving my R1 cool grey case.  The blue on the R2 is lovely.  But I don't regret purchasing mine as I use it daily in the office.   :thumb:

Offline TheCanisDirus

« Reply #195 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 00:02:34 »
Let me ask everyone this... why do people put shelf lining into their cases?  Does it pad the bottom of the board or something?  Is it necessary?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #196 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 00:13:40 »
The idea is that the shelf liner dampens some of the typing sound. It's a little esoteric and doesn't make for a huge acoustic change (in my opinion), but a lot of people are really into it. :)

Offline richard912

« Reply #197 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 00:35:57 »
The idea is that the shelf liner dampens some of the typing sound. It's a little esoteric and doesn't make for a huge acoustic change (in my opinion), but a lot of people are really into it. :)

I've actually been meaning to ask about this. Does the case's internal provide sufficient "clearance" for this "layer"

Offline poolside

« Reply #199 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 04:09:04 »

All of the above, I'm afraid.

Thanks. I ended up ordering my galactic blue case from Originative to combine shipping with some other stuff.

Now, this could be real:  :)