Author Topic: It's GIVEAWAY Time #2 !!!!!!! "" WINNERS ANNOUNCED ""  (Read 23507 times)

Offline martinyeah

It's GIVEAWAY Time #2 !!!!!!! "" WINNERS ANNOUNCED ""
« on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:13:07 »
The WINNERS are :

#1  Sygaldry
#2  geogga
#3  Evo_Spec
#4  splitfile
#5  SlotH42
#6  do_Og@n

Thank you for all of your participation and support. :)

-- Giveaway 6 Hot Keys --

How to WIN : Tell me WHY you love the mechanical keyboard

Time : From Today up to 17 Nov 11:59 (EST)

I will pick up "6 winners" and will announce the Lucky guys on 18 Nov, each winner will get 1 keycap (I will random and sent out)

Good luck to all , i m waiting for your story :)

« Last Edit: Mon, 22 December 2014, 11:34:43 by martinyeah »

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
Re: It's GIVEAWAY Time #2 !!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:17:37 »
I love the mechanical keyboard because it gives feedback that rubber domes can't. They also are completely customizable, you can make your own, the travel distance is like no other, and the endless possibility of keycaps. If you want it in any configuration, you can have it. The different form factors are amazing, allowing me to take my 60% to school, while allowing me to have it at home and I can carry it in my backpack safely. The community support is amazing and if you have a question, there is almost always an answer.

Offline SirPheles

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:21:13 »
Feels that suit you best? Check.  :thumb:
Varying sizes for all types of needs? Check.  :thumb:
Different colors for different tastes? Hell yeah check!  :thumb:
And so much more...
The modding possibilities are so vast, my mechanical keyboard is the thing I use the most while on the computer, so in a way, when I customize it and mod it to my tastes, it becomes my identity. I love my mech board cause I love myself  ;)

Offline fifthawk

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:22:19 »
I love mechanical keyboards because they make something that I do the most everyday even more enjoyable. I am pretty sure that this keyboard will be working for years, so it is super nice to have around.

Offline Dvoryke

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:27:31 »
I love them because there is a mechanical keyboard for everyone. And if there isn't, you can make one that is tailored to your every need. You don't get that kind of variety and customability (made up word) with rubber domes or any other type of non-mech. And the community surrounding such a hobby that deals with nothing more than a computer input device is surprisingly populated and helpful!

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:28:20 »
First of all:

The construction and build quality of some boards is just phenomenal! Nothing gets to me like a finely engineered and delicately crafted piece of mechanical goodness:

Second, apart the durability:

MKs are like drugs. I can't use anything else anymore. Typing on anything else, I lose accuracy, speed, and most of all comfort  :eek:

But most of all:

Most of the people I've dealt with (traded or sold or bought from) have been incredibly nice. I wouldn't mind hanging out with these people!
null

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:29:34 »
I love typing on mech keyboards and customizing them. I figure if I have to work on my computer so many hours each day, I might as well type on something nice!
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline kaotikb

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:33:34 »
I love mechanical keyboards. I can always use awesome key caps  :thumb:
Ducky 1087 (Green ALPS) |  CM QFR Stealth (MX Brown) | Unicomp Ultra Classic |Poker II (MX Brown)  | IBM 1391401 1991 | IBM 1391401 1989 | Ducky Shine 3 White Edition (MX Brown) | G80-3700(MX Black) | Corsair K70 (MX Brown) | Varmillo VA87MR (Gateron Red)

Pointing Devices:  Microsoft Trackball Optical (Ceramic bearings Installed)  | Sanwa MA-TB39BK (Larger Ceramic Bearings Installed) | Elecom M-XT2URBK | Kensington Slimblade | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Logitech Trackman Marble Plus

Offline btctopre

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:34:21 »
what I love most about my mechanical keyboard is...
that it's constructed so well that if an intruder were to enter my home, I could use it to bludgeon them into unconsciousness and still be able to use it to write a story after about how I stopped a burglar using only a keyboard.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:39:05 »
I am new to the mechanical keyboard community. but since finding and getting my self into it... I LOVE it. It is the perfect hobby for me. The fact that there is such a huge community behind it is awesome. So many people trying new things and helping each other mod their boards. I only wish I found out about it sooner. I am an IT guy by trade so I can justify the large amount of money i have dished out on my board already...."atleast i tell my self that"

Offline Knocking

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:41:00 »
I love mechanical keyboards because they feel (and sound) amazing. I'm not exaggerating when I say it has made me enjoy typing out essays and long forum posts, and has probably been the best thing I've ever bought for my PC.

Odds are I won't win because this is my first post thus far on GH, but it's worth a shot, right?

Offline AlphaOne

• *CLICK*
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:44:02 »
I'm new to mechanical keyboards but I absolutely love them. The advantages of mechanicals are clear; I love the feedback from my MX blues and I love my MX reds for gaming. Customising your keyboard to make it 'yours' is also pretty awesome. I have never considered myself a 'collector' or 'enthusiast' of anything until I was introduced to mechanical keyboards :D. I love being part of keyboard enthusiast communities. I would give your keycap a good home <3
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:45:38 by AlphaOne »
HHKB Pro 2 | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS Mx BLUE | Corsair Gaming K70 RGB Mx RED

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:45:09 »
I love my mech because I can customize to suit my personality and needs

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:47:53 »
I love my topre over my mech  :p

In all seriousness, mechanical keyboards give you the ability to ultimately customize and create your own unique board, from the feel to the layout to the look.

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:49:58 »
I've used membrane keyboards all my life and this year started using QFR with reds and Poker II with blues and they feel much more like "my keyboards" more than "family keyboards". The amount of customization and personalization is incredible. Isn't that why we all look at what others are doing with theirs? Kinda like custom computer cases ;) Just can't get enough different styles. Oh yeah and the feelz obv...abs for reds, and pbt for blues :thumb:

Offline graefeln

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:50:39 »
I'm not sure I can honestly say I "love" mechanical keyboards yet as I am still waiting on the parts to put together my first board. I can however, tell you why I am interested in them and willing to put the money into putting one together.
What drew me into mechanical keyboards was the ability to customize them. I saw all the keycap sets and was intrigued. Looking further into it, I was excited to see numerous cases and a multitude of switches; there is something for everyone with mechanical keyboards. For my first switch, I am going with greens because I liked the click and think I will like the heavier weight (though I am going with Sprit's 85g spring which he described as being closer to stock clears). My wife actually likes the click as well; I put a cap on a switch while waiting for the other pieces and, if she sees it laying around, she picks it up to click over and over. I think this board will be perfect for home, but am already looking forward to a second, quieter board (thinking ergo clears on either a JD45 or Planck).
I also enjoy seeing what the artisans do with caps and recently received a couple from KRytone which just awesome to look at.

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:50:57 »
Because it feels too good ;D

Offline Rotaku

• Too Based
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:54:11 »
I love them because of the amount of customization you can do to them! If i feel like throwing on a different set of keycaps, i can do that and it looks like a whole new keyboard :D That and, there's such a variety of switches, so no one can be left out.
Not toooo active on GH anymore, if you need me, shoot me a PM on Reddit! /u/IchibanXD

Offline Elocutive

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:54:21 »
it just allows me to get work done more efficient and quicker, as I am having fun while typing.
LZCE- Black, red, ergo clears

Wanting Skeldon

Offline add1ct3dd

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:57:37 »
It's primarily the feel on the keys, particularly on a premium keyboard where it just feels "nice" to type on. You can't explain it, you can't put it into words, but as soon as you start typing, you know it's there. There's also the Customization aspect of it. Keycaps have brought on a whole new meaning to the word customization (with thanks due to switch types), which have meant all sorts of awesome products have come out thanks to group buys and companies starting up to help push this niche forwards - this has also led to innovation in developing new products which even further improve mechanical keyboards such as keyboards built from scratch and materials we never  thought would be possible to use.

Offline bubkusjones

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 13:58:35 »
It makes me feel like I'm actually interacting with something when using my computer. Cheap rubber domes, chicklet keyboards, and most laptop keyboards are just there, providing little more physical sensation than typing on a touch-screen device. Even if it's just typing in a post like this it feels more "real".

Plus, the clickyness of MX Blues and the thockyness of Topre are just hard to beat.

Now I just need to get a set or two of nice PBT key caps to replace the stock ABS ones I'm currently stuck with.

Offline poog

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 14:04:33 »
i love them because they allow me to hoard key cap sets i'll probably never put on but can justify by saying i might use them one day

Offline lishi

• Luxury Taste Buds
    • Personal Website
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 14:05:14 »
I love mechs because they're less fatiguing than rubber domes. Maybe my fingers are just week though...
All the kustom 60s

Offline snipars

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 14:13:07 »
They're fun to collect and there's always more to learn about them. 
i like that mechanical keyboards from 20 years ago can still work perfectly and that there are so many switch types
Duck Octagon + Gateron Black |HHKB Pro 2 | Poker 2 + Vintage Black + Tex case | Unicomp Ultra Classic | WASD V2 |

Offline formz

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 14:25:20 »
I love mechanical keyboards because of the sound, the feeling, the durability. It keeps me motivated to type. I also love that there is a whole community build around modifying and customizing mechanical keyboards. I've been using a mech for a while now but only recently discovered the community around it. Makes me love it even more.

Offline havenlau

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 14:30:21 »
i love mechanical keyboards because i can put martinyeah's sexy keycaps on them

Offline theteam

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 14:33:17 »
It's a good feeling,
That keeps my fingers moving.
Each click and clack,
Makes me feel relaxed.
Cherry blue is my favorite,
The way it sound, I can savor it.
This is why I love my board,
So I can show the world, what I adore.

lol  :blank:

Offline mystalexx

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 14:44:49 »
Whenever I am feeling stressed out at 2am typing out a lab report, I sneak a peak at my bright red warmaster and just crack a grin, imagining myself as a superhero fighting against an evil villain. It also doesn't hurt that I enjoy the feeling on my poker 2 :)

Offline Jimmy54669

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 14:50:14 »
What I love about Mechanical keyboards....
....I can change keycaps
...the sound of it
..the low actuation point so you can react faster (Gaming) or typ faster
.that u can mod allmost everything
and its really reliable

Offline Corey

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 14:55:05 »
Hey martinyeah. Thanks for this opportunity.

The reason I love the mechanical keyboard is really because of the customization. The reason I first purchased my mech was because a friend recommended them to me. From here it took me many weeks of researching boards and the various pros and cons to find the perfect fit for me. I now have a Ducky Shine 3 TKL, because I enjoy the shortened size, and the lighting capabilities. From here I find myself at /r/MechanicalKeyboards on Reddit where I found many people like myself. The community really sucked me in. Spending time on that sub allowed me to see keyboards of varying sizes and colors, and upon discovering a market for keycaps and artisan caps I was drawn towards GeekHack. I first purchased a Vortex PBT key set in orange and white, and have been searching for artisan caps to compliment it.

TL;DR I love how everyone can find a mech to suit their needs and personality. Through artisan key caps you allow us to do just that, customize to our hearts content.

Offline thefebruaryman

• turn it off and turn it on again
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 14:59:57 »
I just like getting home after a days programming and my hands don't hurt because I have been using a mechanical keyboard

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
    • RoastPotatoes Keyboard Blog
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 15:00:37 »
When I type on my Model M I feel like a god. Nothing can stop me. The deafening sound of those mighty springs talks to me a in a way no other can. I become one with the keyboard.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 15:11:26 »
It's not so much the keyboards I love, which are great. Just read everyone elses' entry for that.
No, what I really love is the community. I joined GH at a very low point in my life, and just having people to talk to about something I love (mech keyboards) helped steer me away from the pit of depression I had been sinking into at the time. I had just moved across the country, had no friends or acquaintances. GH gave me an outlet for some semblance of social interaction in a period of utter isolation.

Whether you are talking about caps, boards, or clacks GH gave me a place to sort of open up. And doing so not only helped me meet a bunch of new online friends, but also helped me gain a wealth of knowledge about mechanical keyboards as well. And the more I learn about keyboards, the more I love them, which is a peak I would have never been able to reach without the knowledge and support of the people on GH.

On top of all that, my fingers now recoil in horror whenever I must type on a rubber dome. Once you've tasted a Ferrari you can never go back to eating a Camry... or something like that.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 November 2014, 15:13:39 by noisyturtle »

Offline promptcurry

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 15:16:09 »
I love my mech because i can customize it just about any way I want. Don't like the switches too much? Swap out the entire switch or just the spring. Want LEDs? Add them, and while you're at it, throw a clear top on all the switches. Want different keycaps? There are hundreds of different sets or singles.

Offline Zombii

• Let’s All Love Lain.
    • Let’s All Love Lain.
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 15:19:22 »
Well, it's definitely not because of the punishment it inflicts on my wallet....

Really, it's due to the fact that its such a cool way for people to reflect their preferences on something that can be extremely important and close to you (your computer). Some people prefer light switches like myself (45g and lower) and others prefer buckling springs, or heavier MX switches. I'm pretty new to the scene, but the fact that there's just something for everyone, and the customization ability that allows people to express it is just really cool.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 15:21:06 »
Awesome giveaway, martin! Thanks for doing this!

I love mechanical keyboards because I appreciate the way they can be customized to suit each user so precisely. With so many options for every aspect of the keyboard like size, switch type, keycaps, cases, etc it's hard to imagine that there's not something out there for everyone. For me, it's very rewarding to use a keyboard that you've spent hours researching and even more hours building and testing until you get everything just right.

Of course one of the biggest reasons to love mechanical keyboards is the community here at GeekHack. A lot of people may not understand our obsession and dedication to the hobby but chances are that those who do end up here in one way or another. There are so many people here who are so generous it almost defies belief. This is a community of people who get **** done even if it means some personal sacrifices for the greater good and that's very uncommon today.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 15:35:18 »
I got into mechanicals because I love to tinker.  Coming from an art background led me to really love the artisan caps.  Now that I am part of this community, I continue to be amazed by the kindness and the knowledge of those around me.

Thank you Martin for continuing to keep us so involved in such a wonderful hobby.
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Vanilla

• 110% Snuggable
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 15:40:10 »
You're going to find this hard to believe but, I love my mechanical keyboard because they tend to "attract" other mechanical keyboards on their own. Somehow, I don't know how, they just keep showing up on my doorstep after getting my first one voluntarily. Of course, this has led to a variety of problems on my end. I've near lost an entire room in the house to them and my mailman gives me the dirty board game hoarder stinkeye whenever we make eye contact. While I appreciate the diversity of them, my bank account has somehow managed to be hemorrhaging money through paypal. I've tried numerous times contacting them and my bank but all efforts have been fruitless to find the culprit.

Those are the least of my problems, today I went to make breakfast and keycaps poured out of the cereal box into my bowl of milk! Something is very wrong here.

Oh god, what have I just done? It's too late, they know!

Offline ROFLmonstar

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 15:45:37 »
I love mechs because of the practically infinite customization and stuff you can do to make it personal and unique. You can never find it in anything else like mice or even your computer. Here you can make everything your own and how you like it. And click it makes is cool, I guess.

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 15:47:15 »
It clicks. I like the feedback and I started with a model M when I was a kid, so it brings me back some good memories.
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Due chihuahua and demoncat orders
- Boobiecaps
- Optic fiber embedded keycaps
- Others

Offline scooterpsu

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 15:47:51 »
It has been said many times, and will again, but it's all about the customization!

Before putting together my last computer, I had moved from rubber dome to rubber dome because I didn't know any better.

Bought my first mech, and haven't stopped customizing. LED covers, replacement caps, o-rings. I have exactly the keyboard I wanted, because the tools existed to make it happen. And I think that's amazing. You can't really get the fine level of personalization with any other gadgets, shy of a desktop computer itself.

Offline furryeskimo

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 15:50:44 »
The reason I like mechanical keyboards are the switches and infinite customization possibilities it has. Cherry MX switches (specifically blues) remind me of the fizzing and crackling of a nice cold can of coke (or beer :p) on a hot summer day when typing really fast. Plus, some keycaps look edible like mochi or hard candy! :D

Offline ShenaniganMike

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 15:51:14 »
I love mechanical keyboards for a plethora of reasons. Initially I saw them as purely functional. As a programmer I use keyboards all the time and I figured that I may as well have the best damn keyboard I can if it's going to be my main tool when I work. As I entered the world of mechanical keyboards I found that I loved so many other things about them as well. I love the size of smaller keyboards and the way you can program them to do whatever you want. I love the way that all the different switches feel; switching between them is always a joy. I love that I can make a keyboard totally my own and tune it to my liking. I love just finding any reasons to type so that I can use my keyboard all the time, and because of that I have picked up writing short stories as a hobby. When I use blank keycaps I feel like a ninja when I'm typing. When I use blues or buckling spring I love how satisfying the "chunk" of the keys feel and sound. I even appreciate rubber dome keyboards more as a result. More than anything, I love the community on both geekhack and /r/mechanicalkeyboards that constantly shows me new ways to love my keyboards. It's a hobby that I plan to carry with me for a long time. And when it comes down to it, when other people still don't understand why I love my mechanical keyboard so much, I always tell them: "Dude just look at how dope that keyboard is. How could I not love it?"   

Offline fabian101

• Cardbox
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 15:54:08 »
I love my mechanical keyboard because I am able to customize it to my liking and is nicer to type on compared to a rubber dome.
The keyboard is an important interface to interact with your computer!
[WTB] Nothing For Now

Ducky Legend + Invisible FC660C

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:01:44 »
Awesome opportunity man! Thanks for putting it on! My Favorite is Topre!

I love the Mechanical Keyboard because you can feel a snappy reaction of every key stroke. No matter what, Topre, Cherry MX, ALPS, Bucking Spring.. The Response feels awesome and there is no other like it!
I love to be able to swap Cases, Plates, Switches, Domes, LEDs, Keycap sets, Artisan Keycaps, USB Mini Cables, and display them all as well. Its such a great passionate Hobby!

« Last Edit: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:11:18 by dustinhxc »

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:04:45 »
I love mechanical keyboards,
Because of their sound,
Because of their feel...
It is so tactile!

I love mechanical keyboards,
every single day,
when I type some code,
or when I want to play.

I love them old,
I love them new,
Let's mix things up!

From Cherry and Alps switches,
To the Topres and buckling springs,
My love will never cease.

(Damn, that's so indecent)
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:43:22 by ramnes »
23h18 - photekq: hhkb with silenced realforce sliders and lubricated well is
23h18 - photekq: the best switch i've used

Offline evera

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:22:07 »
I love mechanical keyboards because it makes one of the things I do the most, typing, a more pleasurable experience, simple as that.

Can also make things look pretty and customize inputs through the great enthusiast communities here!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:26:35 »
Besides being reliable and providing nice feedback when typing, I love mechanicals because they can be taken apart, tweaked and customized in lots of ways and put back together.

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:28:33 »
As a FPS player by heart you learn quick that you need to trust your hardware, not only the computer but also keyboard and mouse. Ive always liked light pressure keyboards so the old Logitech UltraX keyboard with laptop like caps was my favorite and Ive worn down quite a few.
Found mechanical keyboards when SteelSeries 6Gv2 came out and even if I loved the precision and feel of the switch, it was too heavy for me.

Found Mx Red and I was sold, havent looked back since. Given most of my keyboards away and now Ive only have three, gotten way more into caps lately.

The three things I love the most, compared to rubber dome:
  • 1. The precision you achieve when you find your switch
  • 2. How you can customize the keyboard to match what ever is around it
  • 3. The fact that they will outlast you

This was my last non mechanical keyboard, still think I have one in the basement
|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 16:31:41 »
What I like about mechanical keyboards is their modularity ,
I can type on 40% mx red the morning ,
use a 60% mx clear the afternoon ,
end the day with a TKL mx blue .
And by the end of the week , I can find a 25yo IBM keyboard  that is still rockin in my grandfather barn .
And spend the sunday adding led to my custom korean while lubing my ergo-clears .
Azerty Propagandiste