Author Topic: New Kensington Slimblade  (Read 43043 times)

Offline namelessguy

New Kensington Slimblade
« on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 10:13:53 »
http://slimbladetrackball.com/html/16643.html
What do you guys think about it?

Offline bigpook

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 10:20:34 »
Looks awesome.
I am getting that mouse when it becomes available...
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline itlnstln

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 10:24:22 »
Kensington Expert fans will probably be pleased.  It is much nicer looking than the Expert, IMO.  I am not too sure about the scrolling feature (twisting the ball), though.  I don't think this will make me leave my MS Natural 6000 mouse.  It would take one heck of a trackball to get me to change.  The MS one (now dicontinued) would have been a good candidate.  For me, I tend to loose too many of the convenience features (like scroll wheels w/side-to-side motion, fwd/back browser buttons, etc.) that I have grown accustom to using with trackballs.

Offline bigpook

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 11:17:41 »
Well, I have expert now and like it but the newer design is more streamlined making it more appealing. Most of the advanced features probably won't work for me in linux anyways but thats ok. The slimline will look good next to my filco, also.

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 14:11:13 »
I might be interested if it is smaller than the Expert.

Offline bigpook

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 15:33:08 »
I am hoping the ball is as big as on the expert. Thats one of the things I like the most about this kind of mouse.

Offline bigpook

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 15:42:52 »
Its odd that the scroll ring is gone and it seems that the mouse ball is what is used to scroll. Not sure how that will work out. I am trying it out on my expert just to get an idea and it seems weird.

Offline bigpook

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 17:26:09 »
Whats not clear either is if it is a 4 button mouse or not...The upper left button seems to be for media mode and the upper right button is for view mode. The web site doesn't mention upper left/right for navigation mode.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 17:43:27 »
It looks more ergonomic than the old Expert Mouse, which had a rather steep angle and required (at least in my experience) some awkward hand angles to use it without risking RSI. Might get one if the price is decent.

Offline itlnstln

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 17:50:13 »
Might get one if the price is decent.

According to the Kensington site, the MSRP will be $129.

Offline lal

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 17:53:49 »
Reminds me of HAL 9000...
BS: Customizer, Model Ms; Alps: CSK-2101, FK-2002, AT-101 (SGI & Dell), MCK-860, FKBN87Z/EB; Cherry: Poker X, FKBN87MC/EB, WY60, G80-3000, G84-4100, TDV 5010

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 18:14:28 »
I don't really like this design. It looks nice, but how does it feel to use? It looks like the ball is quite high like on the Expert, with nothing to support the hand. I feel like my hand is supported in a neutral position on the Orbit.

Offline bigpook

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 18:19:12 »
Quote from: Chloe;17418
I don't really like this design. It looks nice, but how does it feel to use? It looks like the ball is quite high like on the Expert, with nothing to support the hand. I feel like my hand is supported in a neutral position on the Orbit.

The ball might be high up to facilitate the scroll action. But I do like the look of it, day to day use may be a different story though. I still want to give it a go though.

Offline vyshane

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 08 January 2009, 02:55:19 »
This gets announced 2 days after I ordered the Expert. Still waiting for it to be delivered too.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 08 January 2009, 03:21:34 »
Quote from: vyshane;17442
This gets announced 2 days after I ordered the Expert. Still waiting for it to be delivered too.

That's rough. I feel for you.

Offline itlnstln

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 08 January 2009, 06:43:19 »
Really?  I have never had a problem with the integrated buttons.  I have had 3 Logitech and 2 MS mice with them and never had them fail or mis-click.  I have never used Kensington pointing devices, though.

Offline Eclairz

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 08 January 2009, 10:41:20 »
It looks interesting, shame about the price though, shouldn't the removal of the scroll wheel make it cheaper? I've been considering getting a big trackball, but the kensingtons just cost too much. Hopefully logitech, microsoft or razer can create a similar style trackball which is symmetrical like this one.

Logitech do one but looks really weird to use and only has two buttons.
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/trackballs/devices/156&cl=us,en

It however is much cheaper than kensington(the orbit looks just as difficult to use and again only two buttons)
Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard
RealForce 45g UK 88UB
FILCO Majestouch TenKeyPad

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 08 January 2009, 11:05:26 »
I really like the Logitech Marble Mouse and Kensington Orbit. Sanwa Supply make some symmetrical trackballs but I haven't read very good reviews of them:
http://www.sanwa.co.jp/product/peripheral/trackball/index.html

Eclairz, I am selling my Kensington Expert if you are interested. I have hardly used it because it is too big for my hands. I broke one of the plastic stems on the plate that fixes the wrist rest to the trackball. I will contact Kensington to see if this part can be replaced.

Offline bigpook

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 09 January 2009, 15:57:37 »
Quote from: Eclairz;17485
It looks interesting, shame about the price though, shouldn't the removal of the scroll wheel make it cheaper? I've been considering getting a big trackball, but the kensingtons just cost too much. Hopefully logitech, microsoft or razer can create a similar style trackball which is symmetrical like this one.

It however is much cheaper than kensington(the orbit looks just as difficult to use and again only two buttons)

The price is msrp, no? Kensingtion has it available for pre-order but I am waiting for it to show up at newegg or amazon. I bought the kensington expert at amazon and got it on special for 67 dollars. Right now, the expert can be had for 86 dollars. Still pricey but not as bad as the msrp.

Offline bigpook

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 21 January 2009, 17:25:59 »
I posted with Kensington and asked if the slimblade mouse  would work with linux.

Below is their response. Sounds like the scrolling ball functionality is dependent on the software. That seems to make it a non-starter for linux. Thats too bad as I kind of liked it.
However, there are more determined people then me. I will wait a few months and see if some one comes up with a solution.

Thank you for contacting Kensington Technical Support.

We would like to inform you that the 72327 Slim Blade(TM) Trackball's control ball functionality is dependent on Slim blade drivers.

Regards,

Offline cb951303

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 21 January 2009, 17:51:33 »
Quote from: bigpook;19110
I posted with Kensington and asked if the slimblade mouse  would work with linux.

Below is their response. Sounds like the scrolling ball functionality is dependent on the software. That seems to make it a non-starter for linux. Thats too bad as I kind of liked it.
However, there are more determined people then me. I will wait a few months and see if some one comes up with a solution.

Thank you for contacting Kensington Technical Support.

We would like to inform you that the 72327 Slim Blade(TM) Trackball's control ball functionality is dependent on Slim blade drivers.

Regards,

hmm, do you mean holding a button and scrolling with trackball? if so linux has that capability with any USB HID compliant trackball. No need for drivers.
Filco Zero FKBN87Z/EB
Kensington Orbit K72337US

Offline vyshane

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 22 January 2009, 01:27:54 »
Quote from: cb951303;19116
hmm, do you mean holding a button and scrolling with trackball? if so linux has that capability with any USB HID compliant trackball. No need for drivers.

I think he means scrolling by spinning the ball horizontally (clockwise or anticlockwise). No mouse button involved.

Offline bigpook

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 22 January 2009, 04:30:44 »
Quote from: vyshane;19139
I think he means scrolling by spinning the ball horizontally (clockwise or anticlockwise). No mouse button involved.

Right. Its too bad that the functionality is dependent on the software.

Offline cb951303

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 22 January 2009, 05:05:51 »
Quote from: bigpook;19141
Right. Its too bad that the functionality is dependent on the software.

yup, standards are there for a reason, I'm sick of companies who think the only OS that exists is windows.
Filco Zero FKBN87Z/EB
Kensington Orbit K72337US

Offline bigpook

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 22 January 2009, 10:49:38 »
Quote from: cb951303;19142
yup, standards are there for a reason, I'm sick of companies who think the only OS that exists is windows.

I agree but I do like kensington mice. I just wish they would show just a little bit of love when it came to linux.

Offline nimrod01

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 23 January 2009, 13:53:48 »
Quote from: Eclairz;17485

I use this trackball.  My first trackball was the Logitech Marble FX which is still the best I've used.  I'm settling for this one at this time.  I also have the cordless version which is non-symetrical, but it has a weird orientation I can't get used to, nor can I adjust it in Linux.  Also, this model of Logitech is cheap, so I have a few of them kicking around.

Offline itlnstln

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 23 February 2009, 16:02:15 »
http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/23/kensington-slimblade-trackball-hands-on/

Here is a review for the Kensington Slim Blade.  It is not so much of a review than it is a quick take.  They do have several pretty pictures, though.

Offline Zalusithix

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 27 February 2009, 23:34:38 »
I have this on order, and it should be here early next week - hopefully on Monday. I'll post my impressions of it, but it'll be from the viewpoint of a trackball novice as I haven't used one in well over a decade! I'll also give it a run under linux (Fedora) to see what does and what doesn't work.

Offline bigpook

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 28 February 2009, 09:33:11 »

Offline bigpook

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 28 February 2009, 09:34:45 »
Quote from: Zalusithix;23057
I have this on order, and it should be here early next week - hopefully on Monday. I'll post my impressions of it, but it'll be from the viewpoint of a trackball novice as I haven't used one in well over a decade! I'll also give it a run under linux (Fedora) to see what does and what doesn't work.

I will be curious as to how scrolling will work under linux. From what I understand  a fair amount of its 'capabilities' are dependant on the provided software. Most of which does not interest me, but the ability to scroll would be a required feature.

Offline bigpook

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 28 February 2009, 10:18:04 »
Yeah, the designs are odd but I still think the expert mouse is the best trackball available. Thats not really saying much though. Theres not a whole lot of trackballs out there to choose from.
I don't use windows so I can't vouch for the software.
I have a track man marble and think it is a very fine mouse, too bad I can't use it with my left hand.
My expert has shiny plastic, I would have liked a matte finish, but its not like I actually look at the mouse while I use it. The large trackball is very comfortable for me to use and the scroll ring is brilliant. For me anyways.

Offline Zalusithix

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 28 February 2009, 14:21:48 »
Quote from: bigpook;23074
Interesting, its now down to 111.99. IIRC it was at 127. Not quite shipping yet though.

http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Slimblade-Trackball-Expert-K72327US/dp/B001MTE32Y/ref=pd_bbs_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1235835108&sr=8-5

They were probably driven down by the alternative places to order it like ShopBLT. Note that they charge a $2 handling fee, but that's still cheaper than Amazon overall. Not to mention the tax I avoid by not using Amazon.

Offline bigpook

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 28 February 2009, 15:44:59 »
Quote from: Zalusithix;23099
They were probably driven down by the alternative places to order it like ShopBLT. Note that they charge a $2 handling fee, but that's still cheaper than Amazon overall. Not to mention the tax I avoid by not using Amazon.

I will keep that in mind. While I am interested in the slimblade, I do think it is way overpriced. But if scrolling can be made to work while using linux I will most likely buy it. Or maybe not.

I have the kensington expert, which I think is great, but it looks a little dated(especially when compared to the slimblade). However, it looks just about right sitting next to my model m mini. There is almost a symmetry there : )

Offline Zalusithix

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 01 March 2009, 14:14:19 »
Quote from: bigpook;23115
I will keep that in mind. While I am interested in the slimblade, I do think it is way overpriced. But if scrolling can be made to work while using linux I will most likely buy it. Or maybe not.

I was thinking about this a lot last night, and I've come to the conclusion that it's very, very likely that the scroll feature will work. The mouse does the processing of the visual information the sensors pick up - not the drivers. So the drivers have to work with movement information packets from the mouse. Combine that with the following 2 premises:

Premise 1) For the mouse to work at all without custom drivers it must provide the standard delta-x and delta-y movement information.

Premise 2) There is no way to get scroll data from delta-x and delta-y.

Therefore it follows that the scroll data is sent as another signal. It seems highly unlikely that the data is sent on some proprietary signal when it can just be sent on the scroll wheel de-facto standard.

Now how does this visual processing in the mouse work? Let's take the most logical route... The ball movement is broken into movement along the X, Y, and Z axis. The X axis is the line formed by the edge of your desk. The Y axis is formed by going from you to the back of the desk, and the Z axis is going up and down. The simplest way to harvest all the movement information along the 3 axises is with 2 optical sensors. Place one sensor on the x axis, and another on the y axis.

When the ball is spun forward and back, particles on the Y axis sensor will be tracked moving up and down. Meanwhile on the X axis sensor particles will be moving in a circular pattern, but ultimately the ones dead center on the rotation axis will not be moving at all (or very little). Side to side movement of the ball results in the particles in the X sensor going up and down while the Y sensor sees the same thing the X sensor saw when the ball was moving up and down. Essentially the up/down movement in the X sensor is translated into delta-x and the up/down movement in the Y sensor becomes delta-y. Finally, when you twist the ball, neither sensor will see particles moving up/down, but both will see particles moving sideways in the same direction. This becomes the scroll information that the mouse sends.

Now when I checked Engadget's gallery today, there are 2 sensors just as I had predicted, and they're laid out in exactly the areas I expected them to be. I can only assume they're using the same logic for movement.

So what do the drivers do? Intercept this information and change the report to the OS. When you switch to media or view mode (Likely buttons 3 and 4 as reported without drivers), it halts all mouse movement info sent to the OS and instead translates the ball movements and buttons 1 and 2 to alternate commands. So yeah, all that fancy stuff won't work in linux, but the scroll theoretically should. I imagine it'll be detected as a 4 button mouse/trackball with scroll.

Well, we'll find out soon enough at any rate!

*Edit: I've never seen the Expert Mouse, but I assume that the optical sensor is directly under the ball? It would make the most sense for tracking movement along the X and Y axises with a single sensor. This could also be why the Slimblade isn't cheap... Having 2 sensors, and the more advanced image processing to accompany them is undoubtedly more expensive than a single sensor that has less sophisticated tracking algorithms.

Offline Zalusithix

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 02 March 2009, 13:46:44 »
Bah... I might not get the shipment till Wednesday. The package is at the Fedex sorting facility that's all of 15 minutes away (and has been since Sunday), but I can't pick it up, and they seemed to think it's not worth their time to deliver it today because they can technically stall till Wednesday and still be "on time". :rolleyes: Might as well have saved nearly $24 and went with ground shipping... would have arrived at the sorting facility at the same time anyway due to it coming from a neighboring state.

Life was so much less frustrating back before package tracking. ;)

Offline bigpook

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 02 March 2009, 16:25:41 »
Zalusithix

Keep us posted please. I am looking forward (hopefully) to you having a positive experience.
All of the fancy stuff you mention doesn't do much for me, but if scrolling is doable....

Offline Zalusithix

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 03 March 2009, 19:40:56 »
Well I guess Fedex was feeling nicer today and decided to deliver it, so time for my thoughts! :) Be forewarned that this is going to be rather stream of conscious writing and not an edited review. Oh, and it'll probably be relatively long... :p

First thing's first... scroll does work without the drivers! It even has a speaker in it that makes a faint tick to emulate the ratcheting in a scroll wheel for whatever that's worth. But that's where the good news ends. The top buttons are not recognized at all with xev. For whatever god forsaken reason, it appears that they went and made those two buttons into something nonstandard. So until somebody who's more knowledgeable than myself manages to jack on to those signals, you're stuck with a two button trackball with scroll capability in linux... (or in windows if you don't install the drivers)

Meanwhile in windows land, it appears Kensignton didn't want windows users to have too much to gloat about to their linux using breathren, as the driver has a setting count of a staggering 0 options. You're going to use the trackball the way they want you to, and you're going to like it! There's no way to disable a mode and gain another button. There's no separate mouse sensitivity function or scroll acceleration function. It doesn't even appear that the scroll acceleration that windows provides works with it either...

Continuing on the stupidity, the play/pause button in media mode seems to be hard coded to open Windows Media Player if it isn't already. Although the next, previous, stop and volume don't go launching it, so I can at least get some use out of that mode. View mode is a complete joke since the whole dang thing is proprietary. It doesn't engage on half the apps you'd want it for, and for the ones it does allow the mode to kick in on.. well it might as well not work.

Quite frankly the drivers are absolute garbage. I mean for pete's sake, the help file for the drivers links to their website! Thankfully, however, drivers can be updated, and Kensignton would be stupid to leave them as is... at least if they want to really sell the thing, or have a chance at return customers. They need to make it so the user can disable the mode buttons and reassign them other functions. Meanwhile the modes themselves need to be customizable. It's not the driver's job to decide what application I use to listen to music with! Without those things, the trackball is crippled - plain and simple. While they're at it, they should consider per application settings  sensitivity settings, and scroll acceleration, but those aren't as deal breaking as having a 4 button trackball with 1 useless button and another one not having all the functionality it should.

Now that I've ranted about the pitiful software side of things, it's time to comment on the hardware. Thankfully Kensignton's hardware engineers don't appear to be as incompetent as their software counterparts! The design is probably about as good is it gets from an ergonomic standpoint with a trackball that large. The ball hovers a millimeter or two off the desk when it's in the cradle, so the unit is about as low as you can get. There's a positive incline (read: bad), but without physically recessing the unit in the desk, or providing a large elevated wrist rest, that's unavoidable. Should you decide to make your own wrist rest, or if your working surface in low enough that the incline makes things uncomfortable, the unit is quite stable on an incline, so the trackball can easily be forced into a neutral or negative incline situation with an appropriately sized wedge under it.

Dimension wise, rough measurements put the ball at 2-2 1/16 inches high at the peak when in the unit. Meanwhile the silver ring sits at approximately 1 1/4" high, and the base tapers off to 7/8" high at the back and a mere 3/8" high at the front. Width wise, the base flares from 5 1/4" at the user-facing edge to 4 1/4" the tail, and is 6" long.

Buttons are easy enough to click and can be clicked from a large range of locations. They have respectably crisp feedback despite their size. Unfortunately there's a bit of a hollow sound to the rebound - most likely the large surface acting like an drum skin and amplifying the vibration. Only time will tell how they hold up in the long term, but considering they're the only moving parts in the thing, I'd hope that Kensignton didn't cheap out on them.

Finally, the main part, and selling point of the mouse: the ball. The ball comes with something on it that makes makes it rather sticky and prevents it from moving all that well when it's first used. The Kensignton faq states not to wash the ball though, so I left it alone. Sure enough  an hour or so later and the thing is moving quite smoothly in the base.

The tracking is capable of detecting the smallest movements that I can reasonably make without purposely bracing my hand where the ball and base meet in order to make micro movements. Comparing to my mouse, it's similar to 800dpi, but anything higher would make the trackball too fidgety to use for any precise movement. At any rate, the tracking seems true to the point where any wandering off course on my back and forth movement is probably my own doing.

Now scrolling... It just works. I wasn't sure how effective and intuitive it would be, but it turns out it's pretty dang good. While in my normal hand position I can place my index finger on top of the ball to create an axis by which to spin on, and then use my middle finger to flick the ball from the side. Alternately I can use both index and middle fingers slightly offset from the top of the ball on opposite sides and then move them in opposite directions. Despite having used my index finger to move the mouse wheel since mice began coming equipped with them, the use of my middle finger to spin the ball feels totally natural. The mouse even locks down on mouse movement while the scroll is in progress, so the cursor wont go flying around when it detects that the spinning motion is the primary motion of the ball. I even tried playing with the ring like it was a scroll ring ala the expert mouse, but spinning the ball is far more natural. You can move the cursor, scroll, and click without ever letting go of the ball.

All things considered, as it stands right now, there's no way I'd recommend this thing to somebody for their only input device. As good as the hardware might be, the crap drivers pose too much of a limitation. A 4 button trackball is already at a functionality disadvantage when compared to the common 5 button mouse. Force the user to use it as a 2 button trackball and you're just letting the competition win.

That said, I plan on keeping it. Since it's an alternate input device for me and not the only one I'll use, I'm not as inconvenienced by it. Then there's the hope that in the future the drivers will not suck... or at least suck less.

Offline bigpook

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 03 March 2009, 20:20:17 »
Nice review. Too bad about the top two mouse buttons though, but its nice that the scroll functionality works. Give it some time, hopefully the uber linux haxor will work out what it takes to get the other two button to work.
Do you have a kensington expert mouse to compare it too?

Offline Zalusithix

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 03 March 2009, 21:15:06 »
Nope, no Expert mouse. I was looking into getting one quite awhile back when I bought my Kinesis and was interested in the potential ergonomic advantages of trackballs over using a mouse. Ultimately though, I was turned off by multiple comments stating the scroll ring was of rather dubious quality (grating sounds at times). For as much scrolling as I do, a shoddy scroll mechanism is an instant deal killer. After that I pretty much let trackballs fall out of my mind until the announcement of the Slimblade.

Offline zwmalone

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 03 March 2009, 21:19:17 »
Quote from: bigpook;23424
Nice review. Too bad about the top two mouse buttons though, but its nice that the scroll functionality works. Give it some time, hopefully the uber linux haxor will work out what it takes to get the other two button to work.
Do you have a kensington expert mouse to compare it too?

Bigpook do you a have an Expert mouse?  Do the other two buttons + scroll ring work in linux?
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline bigpook

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 04 March 2009, 05:11:29 »
Quote from: zwmalone;23426
Bigpook do you a have an Expert mouse?  Do the other two buttons + scroll ring work in linux?

Yes, I do have the expert. Am runnining ubuntu 8.10 and the scrolling works out of the box. The 2 top buttons work when I am using firefox. The top left works as a universal scroll and the top right works as a go-to-previous-page button.

Offline Biggs

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 04 March 2009, 17:22:28 »
What's the purpose of the tapered bottom?  Does it make the trackball less stable?  I surmise it's designed to reduce the overall weight, yes?

Offline Zalusithix

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 04 March 2009, 18:21:21 »
Not really; a weight reduction for something that you'd never have to pick up would be a waste of resources. The tapering comes down to three reasons as far as I can see...

1) Cosmetic: It looks much sleeker that way than it would if the entire unit was raised to the same height. I don't think many would argue that the Expert Mouse looks better than the Slimblade. :p (Though beauty is in the eye of the beholder.)

2) Ergonomic: If it were of uniform height, it would need a wrist rest to keep the hand at a high enough position to use it. By having the same incline that is common to keyboards, the wrist can rest on the desk itself as the hand arcs upwards to use the ball. If it wasn't tapered off, the base would be a hindrance to the hand while the wrist is resting. That said, the design still works when a typical height wrist rest for keyboards is used. Best of both worlds IMO.

3) Integration: The trackball is made to lock into the Slimblade series keyboard that they make. This would require it to have the same profile. This is no doubt the main reason, but it is tied to the other reasons.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 04 March 2009, 18:24:25 »
Quote from: Zalusithix
Not really; a weight reduction for something that you'd never have to pick up would be a waste of resources.

Except a weight reduction means less materials being used, which means it's the exact opposite of a waste of resources. ;)

Offline Zalusithix

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 04 March 2009, 18:47:49 »
They already saved on that amount of plastic by not including a CD with a driver on it, and they could have saved more yet by having the internal packing be molded from recycled paper instead of plastic. ;)

But yes, there's always the cost reduction from a manufacturing standpoint to consider. To be honest though, most cost reductions that I've seen have less to do with the size of individual parts, so much as reducing the number of them. Less molds, less complicated assembly, etc. Intentional design decision or not, they did benefit from less raw material costs.

Whatever the reason, I maintain it was the better route. You can always put a wedge under it to get it to the height/incline that you want. Much easier than the hacksaw mod needed to make a fat one slimmer! :D

Offline bigpook

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 04 March 2009, 21:09:07 »
Quote from: Zalusithix;23418
I even tried playing with the ring like it was a scroll ring ala the expert mouse, but spinning the ball is far more natural. You can move the cursor, scroll, and click without ever letting go of the ball.

So there is a scroll ring? I thought they did away with it. How does it feel?

Some have complained about the scroll ring on the expert mouse but I don't think its so bad. Granted its doesn't have a silky smooth feel to it but its not horrible either.

Its too bad that the top 2 buttons don't register in xev. I am no linux guru but that can't be a good sign.

Offline Zalusithix

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 04 March 2009, 22:16:28 »
Quote from: bigpook;23539
So there is a scroll ring? I thought they did away with it. How does it feel?

Some have complained about the scroll ring on the expert mouse but I don't think its so bad. Granted its doesn't have a silky smooth feel to it but its not horrible either.

Its too bad that the top 2 buttons don't register in xev. I am no linux guru but that can't be a good sign.

No, there's a ring, but it doesn't move. It's purely aesthetic. I was simply miming the movements that I'd have to make if it were a scroll ring to get a feel of how the Expert would feel.

The xev bit basically means that the X server isn't detecting anything from those buttons. What it can't detect, can't be mapped. Whether there's some obscure xorg.conf settings capable of correcting that problem, or whether it would require somebody to hack up a makeshift driver is beyond the scope of my knowledge. I've gone through stints of using Linux as my primary OS, but I'm not hardcore enough to know all the arcane stuff that can be done. Nor am I dedicated enough to put the time needed into investigating it when my primary OS is currently Windows. Hopefully somebody more familiar with linux (and preferably driver dev) will pick one up.

Edit: Oh, and I've found out that you can kind of use the ring like it was a scroll ring. If you place your finger on the ring with it facing the ball and drag your finger around the ring, the ball will spin in place without any other fingers on it. It's only really usable for about a third of the ring that faces the resting position of your mousing hand, but I'd imagine that accounts for 80% or more of the Expert's scroll ring usage anyhow.

Offline tad

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 05 March 2009, 17:28:45 »
What driver are you using? I've found that the evdev driver works better for nonstandard mice (picks up extra buttons, etc.) than the default PS/2 or ImPS/2 driver.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 11 March 2009, 14:22:42 »
I'm currently using the SlimBlade under OS X.  Although I'd like more functionality with the driver, the "document view" mode is absolutely wonderful.  and the rotation for scroll wheel is pretty slick.  I'm enjoying it so far.

Offline bigpook

New Kensington Slimblade
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 11 March 2009, 14:31:27 »
I was reading some of the reviews on Amazon and while some of the posters liked the slimblade; there were quite a few that were not so happy.
From what I understand, the top 2 buttons are hard coded and will only work with the software. Almost sounds like its a 2 button mouse that scrolls. At least from a linux perspective.