Author Topic: Melvang's Customs [ New thread created with more up to date stuff]  (Read 10968 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Well, I never figured I would be writing this thread when I started here a bit over a year and almost 2300 posts later.  But here goes.

I would like to offer my service and time to make your custom ideas become something you can hold in your hand.  While I am not offering electronics work, I am offering custom fabrication and/or light machining.  I have access to a full sized manual Bridgeport, welder with stick and MIG (carbon steel, stainless, and aluminum).  While I do not have any welding certifications (they are only good for 6 months without recertification) I am not a bad welder by any stretch of the imagination.  I am also skilled in light hand machining using drills, grinder, Port-a-band saws, hand files, tapping holes, etc.

Fair warning though on my lead times if your piece requires the use of welding or the full sized Bridgeport.  They are not located at my house.  They are both equipment at a friends shop, and I work a ton of hours.  My current work schedule is 6 days on 3 days off.  And this is on top of being married with 2 kids under the age of 6.  So, these services would have to wait until my days off.  But if the work you are looking to have done doesn't need this I can work on it after the kiddos bed time in my garage.

While I would like to offer assembly services for keyboard PCB's, I can't at this time due to my lack of soldering experience.  I just wouldn't feel comfortable charging for that quite yet. 

If you have any ideas for something you want done just post here and/or PM me.  If it is an idea that you think others might benefit from please post here and we can possibly get some batching done and possibly drop the price down a bit.

Some of the recent projects I have worked on for the community has been the Panavise group buy that Mkawa conducted recently.  If you don't know the thread here is a link.  What I did to modify these vises (aside from the powdercoat) was to drill out the threads for the thumb wheel fixator bolt, I then tapped the new hole for a threaded insert, and installed a 1/4"-28 tpi bolt.  The purpose of this was to move the constant friction from steel on aluminum (aluminum likes to gall and seize on steel hardware) to steel on steel, not to mention the fact that you just gained a significant amount of clamping force on the ball head with no additional torque on the bolt.  This will allow for heavier parts to be supported or higher forces exerted on the same weight object without deflection and unwanted movement.

The next project that I am working on, are PCB holders for the panavise.  While the end user would still need to purchase the arms (unless already own a set) but I can make a bracket to mate up with the panavise perfectly, and without that annoying extra joint in the round stock.  Plus, I am using extruded aluminum (6061 t-651) for both the round and the square stock which is fairly cheap, and looks 10 times better than the stock Panavise castings.  I have done a brushed look on the square stock using 320 grit sandpaper dry and I have used 1000 and 2000 grit wet sandpaper (wet or dry here referring to how I actually used it).  There is a very noticeable difference.  The square stock cross bar can be of any length but the round stock will be kept to 3 inches, about an inch shorter than the default piece available from the makers of the panavise.  If one of these would intrest you feel free to PM me.  I have enough raw material for one more upright at 4 inches and I have a piece of square stock at about 48 inches.  The round stock is pretty cheap to order including shipping but the square stock is a bit more expensive to ship because of the 6 foot lengths.

Any other ideas, submit here and we can discuss general ideas in public and details in private.

One word of warning.  I will only actively work on one project at a time due to pretty much any time I have to work on it would be after the kiddos are asleep and the wife is in bed.

I will accept multiple projects and have a queue setup but active work on one project at a time.  For the most part I should be able to put money up front for materials and shipping, but for larger/more expensive materials I would probably ask for some money upfront and or source yourself and mail to me.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 February 2016, 15:08:36 by Melvang »
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Re: Melvang's Customs
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 22:35:49 »
Reserved for project queue.

Proposed ideas.

• cord bungee
  • mouse pad
  • diode leg bending tool
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 May 2014, 23:04:36 by Melvang »
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Re: Melvang's Customs
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 23:59:12 »
Well, I have drawn up a prototype for a mouse bungee.

64527-0

Thoughts, comments, or suggestions.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
65205-0

Diode leg bender that can do 12" worth of diodes on tape at once-ish.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Melvang not sure if it would help with the diode bending thing but I noticed last night that putting the diodes on the edge of the phantom plate and bending the legs down was pretty much just the right size to fit the holes.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Melvang not sure if it would help with the diode bending thing but I noticed last night that putting the diodes on the edge of the phantom plate and bending the legs down was pretty much just the right size to fit the holes.

I got dimensions for in switch diodes but need to find a number for distance from center to center on phantom diode pads.  That seems to be a popular build as well.

Offline jbm

Hi Melvang,

Would you be interested in making/selling another crossbar and stem set for Panavise 316 circuit board holders (like you made for mkawa and swill)? They mentioned theirs in the Living Soldering thread, and they do look a lot better than what Panavise offers.

Thanks,

jbm
Esrille NISSE | ErgoDox Classic | TEK 207 | Leopold FC500RT/AB | Leopold FC200RT/AB

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
they are SO good. seriously

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Hi Melvang,

Would you be interested in making/selling another crossbar and stem set for Panavise 316 circuit board holders (like you made for mkawa and swill)? They mentioned theirs in the Living Soldering thread, and they do look a lot better than what Panavise offers.

Thanks,

jbm

Sure can.  How worried about the crossbar being square with the stem are you?  No difference in cost but a longer lead time.  Comes down to either doing it in my garage or at a friends shop (but he isn't always in the shop).  And I work 6 days on 3 days off 12 hour days second shift.

Offline jbm

Hi Melvang,

Thanks,

jbm

Sure can.  How worried about the crossbar being square with the stem are you?  No difference in cost but a longer lead time.  Comes down to either doing it in my garage or at a friends shop (but he isn't always in the shop).  And I work 6 days on 3 days off 12 hour days second shift.

Does it only affect the appearance? If so I'm not worried about it. I'm also not in a big rush though, so if you'd suggest waiting I'd be fine with that too.
Esrille NISSE | ErgoDox Classic | TEK 207 | Leopold FC500RT/AB | Leopold FC200RT/AB

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Not long ago you were talking about ordering wire for a key puller.

That would be a nice project for a welder, since there is always the occasional key that you have to pull REALLY hard on, to the detriment of many key pullers.

And I don't know if you have any Hi-Tek "Space Invaders" but they need a puller that is very sturdy but delicate on the sides and not diagonal, as I usually go.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Melvang's Customs Tools, Light simple machining, Desktop accessories.
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 19:12:59 »
I've got some of melvangs cord based wire pullers, they're real nice. Not sure if they're gonna be made for just keycon though. But That's not up to me.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
You should consider making a topre silencer punching jig.  The current leather punch method is time consuming and produces inconsistent results.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Hi Melvang,

Thanks,

jbm

Does it only affect the appearance? If so I'm not worried about it. I'm also not in a big rush though, so if you'd suggest waiting I'd be fine with that too.

For the most part yeah just appearance.  Currently I have material for 4 sets that I need to get made for mkawa to sell on geekhackers.  The shipping on the raw material is a bit on the spendy side for one set of 4 due to shipping a 6 foot piece of square stock to me.  Those are going to be 18" long.  I can make whatever length you want though.  I might run a small mini buy for these in the near future though to try and cut down on shipping cost.

Not long ago you were talking about ordering wire for a key puller.

That would be a nice project for a welder, since there is always the occasional key that you have to pull REALLY hard on, to the detriment of many key pullers.

And I don't know if you have any Hi-Tek "Space Invaders" but they need a puller that is very sturdy but delicate on the sides and not diagonal, as I usually go.

I've got some of melvangs cord based wire pullers, they're real nice. Not sure if they're gonna be made for just keycon though. But That's not up to me.

CBA tested my puller on a couple alps boards and said he had no issues but I don't have anything with those switches.  If I sold these in the future they probably wouldn't be very cheap due to the time it takes to make one.  Each one is 3 hours+ worth of half hitches.

You should consider making a topre silencer punching jig.  The current leather punch method is time consuming and produces inconsistent results.

I have an idea for this but I need to clear my plate of some current projects.  But for my idea of would be a lifetime piece.  And it would be best suited to fabrication via mill/CNC.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
I tested your puller on Alps, BS, MX, and some other boards I couldn't ID.

Offline jbm

For the most part yeah just appearance.  Currently I have material for 4 sets that I need to get made for mkawa to sell on geekhackers.  The shipping on the raw material is a bit on the spendy side for one set of 4 due to shipping a 6 foot piece of square stock to me.  Those are going to be 18" long.  I can make whatever length you want though.  I might run a small mini buy for these in the near future though to try and cut down on shipping cost.

Is it an inconvenience for you to use your friend's shop? Since I'm not in a hurry I'm thinking I'd rather wait and have the crossbar square with the stem, but I also don't want to be a PITA over an aesthetic issue.

18" sounds good to me.

By the way, what kind of price range are we talking about?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker

Is it an inconvenience for you to use your friend's shop? Since I'm not in a hurry I'm thinking I'd rather wait and have the crossbar square with the stem, but I also don't want to be a PITA over an aesthetic issue.

18" sounds good to me.

By the way, what kind of price range are we talking about?

Ask swill if he can send you a pic of the cross bar with stem including a piece of paper in the corner with a small reveal to show how close I got his.  His was done by hand due to scheduling orders between me, mkawa, and swill.  And I was pretty sloppy with his.  It really isn't that far out, not enough to affect anything.it really isn't a hassle to get out there just the fact that our schedules don't line up as well as I would like.  Some time this fall I will be getting a sherline mill, so that issue will be solved, at least for the smaller stuff.

For price I think it was around $20 with shipping to California, mkawa sent it into Canada with some other stuff.  Just letting you know this will not come with arms.  I'm not that good.  Plus the stem doesn't have the extra joint.  Which I think is a bump up in quality cause the Patna version suck bad.  The stems on mkawas and swills are 4" but I am going to knock it down to 3".  That way I can get the same number of stems and cross bars per piece.  I order the square stock in 6' and the round in 1' pieces.

Offline jbm

Ask swill if he can send you a pic of the cross bar with stem including a piece of paper in the corner with a small reveal to show how close I got his.  His was done by hand due to scheduling orders between me, mkawa, and swill.  And I was pretty sloppy with his.  It really isn't that far out, not enough to affect anything.it really isn't a hassle to get out there just the fact that our schedules don't line up as well as I would like.  Some time this fall I will be getting a sherline mill, so that issue will be solved, at least for the smaller stuff.

For price I think it was around $20 with shipping to California, mkawa sent it into Canada with some other stuff.  Just letting you know this will not come with arms.  I'm not that good.  Plus the stem doesn't have the extra joint.  Which I think is a bump up in quality cause the Patna version suck bad.  The stems on mkawas and swills are 4" but I am going to knock it down to 3".  That way I can get the same number of stems and cross bars per piece.  I order the square stock in 6' and the round in 1' pieces.

Sounds good. I'll go with home made - final answer :)

So what's the next step? Do I place an order now, or wait to hear from you that the materials are available and you're ready to make it?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker

Sounds good. I'll go with home made - final answer :)

So what's the next step? Do I place an order now, or wait to hear from you that the materials are available and you're ready to make it?

YGPM.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Re: Melvang's Customs Temp [Suspension until I get my own Sherline.]
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 00:15:52 »
I will be making this thread active again soon.  I am very close to having my mill.

Projects I am considering right off the bat in no particular order...

• 7075 T-6 switch toolsremoved from list for reapect to the_beast. Might make a set for myself but that would be it.
  • diode bending tools from wood that will do 6" worth of diodes on tape
  • panavise cross bars setup to be rotated 45° on the post instead of just 90°
  • considering doing a JD40/smallfry milled case via aluminum
  • services will be offered for cleaning laser cut edges, countersinking holes, and brushed finish for JD40/small fry plates including Ti versions.  Though Ti I believe are already going to be brushed.  I will not offer polishing services though.

Any other ideas for simple projects to help me get familiar with this mill?
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 October 2014, 01:06:42 by Melvang »

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 09:40:57 »
Maybe a metal version of Swill's minimal case with the silicon sheet and the holes tapped?  I'd love to get ahold of a sturdy stainless or aluminum version!   Hell, or an acrylic one someone else has already made, I tend to burn down houses when I try to make things lol

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51872.msg1144912#msg1144912

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 23:01:23 »
60% Alps plates would be another awesome project that I would get behind. 

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Re: Melvang's Customs Temp [Partial re-opening
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 01:29:40 »
Well, I never did get the mill.  Ended up getting a ring for the wife for Christmas, cost a bit more than was expected.  Got me tons of brownie points so all good.  Either way, I am still planning on getting one, just have a couple things to take care of first.

But until then, I am going to offer some services.  Mostly related to F work.

Services offered will be

Mat replacements
controller swaps, both xwhatsit, and soarer
I can also add holes to F plates.  Here is a link to work I am doing to an unsaver.

Adding holes for winkeys on both sides, and the 4 corners around the arrow keys.  Though, I don't personally feel that the slots for orientation are really needed.  In the numpad area there is plenty of other barrels to keep the new ones lined up.  With the win keys, there "should" be enough for the same job.

http://imgur.com/a/M9LG0

Please ask any questions.

I do have another thread about F work, just don't remember the name of it and don't feel like digging through my posts to find it right now.