Author Topic: Viglen (Acer) 6312-TW review  (Read 3180 times)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Viglen (Acer) 6312-TW review
« on: Sat, 14 March 2015, 14:27:15 »
The last of the video reviews I originally made that I'm gonna put into text. After this, all reviews I'll post will be new ones.

The case of the keyboard is fairly unusual; the back panel is metal, and the top panel is also the mounting plate. The case has a wave shape the looks like it's actually tilted backwards if you're not extending any part of the two-part feet. It's quite lightweight but still fairly sturdy because anything that goes wrong should be easy to fix by just opening up the case and fixing or replacing any of the switches, or cleaning the membrane.

That's right, it's a membrane board, with spring-loaded hammers. The Acer switch used in this board is pretty much a hybrid between the Model and Alps switches; Alps-style housing, but spring-loaded hammers over membrane like the Model M. Like Alps switches, it uses a folded leaf spring to generate sound and tactility, and boy, what a sound and tactility is it. These are SUPER clicky (the click from the click leaf is many times louder than that of a White Alps switch and can actually hurt your ears if you hold one up to your ear and click it) and if the case or caps (dye-sublimed, thin ABS) had any real weight to them these might sound pretty impressive. As it is, they sound somewhat high-pitched and hollow when actually typing on. It's still much better than Cherry switches though.

The tactility is also insane. Very sharp, it's more of a vertical "wall" than a bump in the keytravel, and absolutely all the tactility comes all at the same time. When you get over this wall, the switch will inevitably completely bottom out - even holding just the switch in one hand, I haven't succeeded in not bottoming out, no matter how hard I try to squeeze it softly.

The switches are completely unique and feel totally unlike anything else I've ever tried. I wouldn't call the keyfeel refined, but I'm sure the insane clickiness and tactility would appeal to some people. I don't mind it myself, I'd say this thing is pretty decent :) . Just don't pay £60 or more for it xD .
Check my keyboard video reviews: