Author Topic: Are Kailh switches 100% compatible with Cherry MX keycaps?  (Read 26219 times)

Offline fuzzybaffy

Are Kailh switches 100% compatible with Cherry MX keycaps?
« on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 16:19:11 »
So... I'm thinking of buying a Razer Blackwidow (don't laugh) with the Kailh switches.

Are Kailh switches 100% compatible with Cherry MX keycaps? They can't be "slightly" compatible, because if they are even slightly too big, they might stretch out or mess with the stems of the MX keycaps that I have now...

So... does anyone know?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Are Kailh switches 100% compatible with Cherry MX keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 16:19:41 »
yes

but i'm not sure how compatible the blackwidow is with standard cherry mx key cap sets

Offline Xonar

• Cathode Ray Tubes
    • DPS
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 16:45:53 »
Can I just take a moment to tell you to go buy a Keycool with Kaihl switches instead of a Razer? :P

But yeah, there's a reason why they call Kailhs "MX compatible switches." They're 100% compatible with all MX keycaps. I don't see the reason why the Razer shouldn't be too, but then again I haven't seen many Blackwidows with aftermarket keycaps so I don't know for sure.

IBM Model F XT 5291 Bigfoot x2 | Unicomp UN4KPHA JP Spacesaver M | IBM Model M 3270 APL 122-Key | SHARP X68000 | SGI AT-101 | Samsung TH-5539 FAME Blue Alps | IBM Japanese Pingmaster | HHKB Type-S | IBM Model M 1392595, 6/4/1990 | IBM Model M 1391401, 2/2/1988 | Lexmark-branded 1398601 Model M, 8/18/1995 | Unicomp UB40T5A 122-Key, 5/20/2011 | Sun Type 4 | Sun Type 5c | DEC LK-401AA

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 16:47:55 »
Yes. Completely.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline faceyourfaces

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 17:25:40 »
Out of curiosity, what makes you want a Blackwidow?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 20:10:11 »
l33t gaming capability
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline mouse.the.lucky.dog

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 21:35:27 »
l33t gaming capability

It's  January 1st not April 1st.
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 December 2014, 21:39:14 by mouse.the.lucky.dog »

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 21:36:41 »

I'm fraggin' so much harder since I got mine.
These kids always be like "Geroximo cheater" "Geroximo is hacker", but I always tell them "Nah kidz, it's mah BLACKWIDOW,  that you cannot afford ... hahaha mommys not gonna buy you a BLACKWIDOW ULTRA GAMING TOURNAMENT EDITION 2015 RGB! now **** off and report me if you can"

No srsly, don't buy it. Why would you spend 100+ dollar on that cheap ass board, with its cheap ass replica switches, with those cheap ass keycaps, which are cheap ass printed and its ****ed up bottom row layout for which you will never ever find replacement caps. And it wants you to download razer cloud spyware ... I mean ... cmon.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 01 January 2015, 01:14:18 »
Well, I do have a Filco with Browns, and a Topre all-45g. So, no... it's not about the bling or "l33t gaming capability".

I understand Razer gets a bad rep for their flashy marketing and looks, but honestly, if you can ignore their looks, I don't think their products are that bad. I have a year old Deathadder 2013, which, while I agree isn't the sturdiest of mice out there, did its job, and I wouldn't mind using it again. Yes, even WITH their Synapse 2.0 software - I never had any problems with it.

That said, I want to try the Blackwidow because I just want to try something new. I was thinking of getting an MX Blue board, but I briefly had a Filco MX Blue board, and I remember its high-pitched sound was pretty annoying, so I'm wondering if maybe the Kailh Blues, while still being clacky, might be a bit better in that regard (being not as high-pitched as MX Blues). I could get the Keycool instead of the Blackwidow, but I'm thinking maybe the Blackwidow has custom switches, given what they say about the shortened hysteresis, so I'm curious about them and want to try them out.

And, of course... do note I've been saying I'm -considering- the Blackwidow. Not that I've fully set my mind on it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 January 2015, 01:25:05 by fuzzybaffy »

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 01 January 2015, 04:09:50 »
Well, I do have a Filco with Browns, and a Topre all-45g. So, no... it's not about the bling or "l33t gaming capability".

I understand Razer gets a bad rep for their flashy marketing and looks, but honestly, if you can ignore their looks, I don't think their products are that bad. I have a year old Deathadder 2013, which, while I agree isn't the sturdiest of mice out there, did its job, and I wouldn't mind using it again. Yes, even WITH their Synapse 2.0 software - I never had any problems with it.

That said, I want to try the Blackwidow because I just want to try something new. I was thinking of getting an MX Blue board, but I briefly had a Filco MX Blue board, and I remember its high-pitched sound was pretty annoying, so I'm wondering if maybe the Kailh Blues, while still being clacky, might be a bit better in that regard (being not as high-pitched as MX Blues). I could get the Keycool instead of the Blackwidow, but I'm thinking maybe the Blackwidow has custom switches, given what they say about the shortened hysteresis, so I'm curious about them and want to try them out.

And, of course... do note I've been saying I'm -considering- the Blackwidow. Not that I've fully set my mind on it.

Their mice have always been good. Their keyboards have always been sub-par.

I have a 3 year old Black Widow with MX blues which is still going, but I wouldn't be so sure about the new ones with their copies of copies.

Keycool is still making good boards with Kailh switches. If you must get Kailh, go for Keycool.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 01 January 2015, 08:13:34 »
Okay, since you're serious with this I'll give you my serious experience with this board.

I have 2 of them, because the first one sucked so hard, I got a new one from Razer.
On the first one the switches didn't feel all the same. Some clicked louder and harder than others. Some didn't even click at all! (I'm not sure if I just didn't realize it at the beginning, or if they developed this failure over time).

The new board, however, seems to be completly different. All the switches feel and sound the same. Also the springs feel stiffer than on the first board. I don't know if the springs on the first board have just worn out so fast, or if they're using different springs on the newer board ... but the keypress definitely feels harder on the newer board.

The click on the switch is not as crisp as with mx blues, but the shortened travel is actually pretty nice.

I don't know what's up with this ... maybe bad quality control ... I don't know.
I wouldn't buy again, just because of the razer spyware and the false marketing on the box.
"Regular mechanical swichtes: up to 20 million keypresses - RAZER special omg pwnzor switches: up to 60 million keypresses" ... C'MON .... everybody nows that the regular cherry mx mechanical switch has a lifespan of 50 million keypresses.  :rolleyes:

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 01 January 2015, 08:23:07 »
Read the reviews on Kailh available, they are well elaborated and made by long time and reputable keyboard users. In general, Cherry SW have been produced for a long, long time, while Kailh are a Chinese copy that is being manufactured on green field facilities. The Germans are well know to be good manufacturing engineers, while the last are known to produce unreliable products. It is expected Cherry SW to be more consistent in terms of quality, while to other SW may be good some times, and not so good in others.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 01 January 2015, 15:04:03 »
If you want to try something different with some MX clone, just for the sake of it... may I suggest to grab a Noppoo Lolita?

I plan on picking up one myself really soon. I appreciate how compact it is while still retaining a TKL. Asides from the LOLITA text (which they seem to come with an alternate blank plastic piece to swap out there) they look pretty classy as well. I figure if I don't end up liking the clone switch, it's no big deal to swap them out for some type of Cherry MX I have plenty of on hand.
Otherwise, I would consider one of the Tt Poseidon. They also aren't as garish looking as Razer and seem to have much better build quality and easier to swap out keycap sets on also.
Granted there are some worse boards out there than Razer... though they also happen to be produced by iOne... but they are still one of those boards I wouln't pay more than like $20 for, most often to just scavenge parts out of.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 January 2015, 15:05:36 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 01 January 2015, 15:51:04 »
isn't the lolita gateron not kale?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 01 January 2015, 18:00:38 »
I have only tried an engineering sample of the BlackWidow 2014 with clicky switches. To me they sounded and felt pretty much the same as new Cherry MX Blues, and you have to be really picky (like I am) to notice the difference.
They actuated/clicked a tiny bit higher up and the keys did rattle less when I brushed my fingers over the keys
The total key travel to bottoming out is the same as Cherry MX. Only the travel before actuation is shorter.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 01 January 2015, 18:50:39 »
While I didn't own a black widow. I do own a deathstalker. It is a good keyboard. For being a chicklet board I love it. When ever I accidentally leave my poker at work, I usualy use the razer over my tkl with blues. But I just hate blues.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 01 January 2015, 19:09:10 »
isn't the lolita gateron not kale?

I did the google, it's GaoTe switches
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 01 January 2015, 19:51:13 »
Well, I just went ahead and bought it, since it was so cheap at Fry's ($109).

And... well... already 3 or 4 keys are non-clicky (or a lot less clicky) out of the box.  :-X

I mean... I get that they're Kailh switches, and not Cherry, but Razer should've at least done some QC, you know?

Yea yea - you guys told me so. I wanted to at least give it a try, since it was at Fry's, and I could just return it. Definitely not buying another one, though - I'll now have to think about what Cherry MX Blue board to buy.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 January 2015, 20:01:55 by fuzzybaffy »

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 01 January 2015, 20:45:40 »
On the first one the switches didn't feel all the same. Some clicked louder and harder than others. Some didn't even click at all!

Well, I just went ahead and bought it, since it was so cheap at Fry's ($109).
And... well... already 3 or 4 keys are non-clicky (or a lot less clicky) out of the box.  :-X

No srsly, feeling sorry for you  :-[ , but at least: Welcome to the club! You are now officially entitled to bash the Razer Blacks*itow  :thumb:

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 01 January 2015, 20:48:20 »
Yeap... You said your second one wasn't that bad with regards to switch consistency, so I figured I'd try my luck. This does sour me a bit with Razer boards. =/

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 01 January 2015, 21:03:00 »
Yeah the second one is okay, maybe it's because it's newer, I don't know. Maybe it's just a gamble. Anyways, i wouldn't buy it again.
At least you can return yours.  :)