Author Topic: Ducky to release a left handed tkl?  (Read 5349 times)

Offline hoggy

Ducky to release a left handed tkl?
« on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 16:38:24 »
Saw this on their face book page.  Tempted
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: Ducky to release a left handed tkl?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 16:41:07 »
Has anyone released a keyboard with a numberpad on one side and the nav cluster on the proper side? One that isn't modular.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 16:58:01 »
BTC 8120 has arrows on both sides, I believe there're more boards w/ similar layout. DSI Business keyboards are sort of like that as well (the nav cluster, function keys and tenkey are in front of the alphanumeric keyboard).

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 17:07:19 »
That image took my brain a long time to parse.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 17:12:46 »
In the thread for the TrikX, there was one of the boards which was just like this board, but has a numberpad just to the right of the main alpha portion. That is interesting.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 17:14:47 »
Thought I saw the same board from Vortex. Missalaire and I posted/found it one day when we were hanging out. I think it's a cool idea...I just got this strange feeling of deja-vu though.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 17:20:36 »
Thought I saw the same board from Vortex. Missalaire and I posted/found it one day when we were hanging out. I think it's a cool idea...I just got this strange feeling of deja-vu though.

Based on the lack of usual Ducky branding, it may be that they're releasing this with their name on the box?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 17:24:11 »
It very well could be. Regardless, I think it's still a cool idea. I think it's be nice to have the TKL layout but be able to bring my mouse hand closer to my board.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 21:57:58 »
I can't wrap my head around the layout - my brain keeps insisting that the image is mirrored.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dante

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 22:01:07 »
Finally... a keyboard for Hentai

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 22:29:09 »
I love how this is left handed when it actually makes far MORE sense for right handed people to use this. No reason for the hand to leave the mouse now!
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 22:34:56 »
I love how this is left handed when it actually makes far MORE sense for right handed people to use this. No reason for the hand to leave the mouse now!

Unless you use both hands for typing ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline gnubag

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 23:45:40 »

Unless you use both hands for typing ;)

nobody does that.

Offline hoggy

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 00:47:07 »
I use my mouse with the left hand, as I get more grief in my right - so I'll probably get one to off load more work to left.

I've seen plenty of left handed boards, but this is the first tkl (or mechanical) I've seen. I agree that they make far more sense to right handers.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline gnubag

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 00:50:30 »
I use my mouse with the left hand, as I get more grief in my right - so I'll probably get one to off load more work to left.

I've seen plenty of left handed boards, but this is the first tkl (or mechanical) I've seen. I agree that they make far more sense to right handers.

kbt announced one quite a while ago with basically the same layout.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44662.msg926958#msg926958
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 August 2013, 00:52:29 by gnubag »

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 02:43:08 »
Originaly of Vortex keycap DS it seems
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 03:55:50 »
I'd be kinda worried about the keys right next to Esc.

BTW MS SideWinder X6 could be used with nav cluster and tenkey on the opposite sides.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 03:58:48 »
Nah - braintwist again.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 04:55:31 »

XD

Offline yasuo

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 06:17:51 »
Why not, Left BS, Enter, Tab also? :))

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 03:52:12 »
Is that two Fn keys in the bottom right?

Offline yasuo

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 04:00:25 »
Ah,yes double FN in right,bad :-\ :-X

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 04:00:48 »

I guess one of them is Pn. That would kinda confirm the Vortex thing.

Offline yasuo

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 04:03:13 »

I guess one of them is Pn. That would kinda confirm the Vortex thing.
:thumb: yes PN under (?/) it seems
So,Fully programmable? :eek:
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 August 2013, 04:04:56 by yasuo »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 09:40:37 »
Why not, Left BS, Enter, Tab also? :))
I think I would be remapping Insert to Backspace. Tab is already on the left. ;)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 18:35:34 »
What would be the point though? After this long, wouldn't left-handers already be used to the standard layout? Just seems superfluous to the current market.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 19:38:00 »
I would say that this keyboard is actually for right-handers who want more space for the mouse on the right side.
It will also give the left hand more to do and move around more, which would help avoid RSI in the left hand.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 20:38:42 »
I would say that this keyboard is actually for right-handers who want more space for the mouse on the right side.
It will also give the left hand more to do and move around more, which would help avoid RSI in the left hand.

A 60% would allow the moue to be so closer, without a radically non-standard layout.

My muscle memory would likely prevent me from effectively using a left-handed keyboard, not to mention my brain twisting each time I looked at it.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 20:42:09 »

Nice one  :thumb:

But in fact, I consider that this is a keyboard for a right-handed person, since it will give some place to put the mice on the RIGHT of the keyboard. The keyboard should be centered to type, so if it's more to the left, it means there's more place for the mouse on the right, and a right-hander will use his mouse with the right hand...
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns