Author Topic: [IC] GMK Rainy Day | Update: GB Date Oct 6th. Pricing Announced! [10/1/20]  (Read 129410 times)

Offline JoltFX

Re: [IC] GMK Rainy Day | UPDATE: Group Buy in September [7/30/20]
« Reply #150 on: Sat, 22 August 2020, 10:58:46 »
I believe I misread ... is there going to be a 40s/ortho kit?

Offline Owl

« Reply #151 on: Sat, 22 August 2020, 11:57:37 »
I believe I misread ... is there going to be a 40s/ortho kit?

Show Image

No plans for 40's or Ortho this time around.

Offline bigfishkb

« Reply #152 on: Mon, 24 August 2020, 18:04:07 »
I love the way this set looks. I want it for my dz60 but I need a 1u rshift. Is it too late to add it to the set?

Offline Tyson

« Reply #153 on: Mon, 24 August 2020, 18:06:20 »
You should consider adding F13 and a second B to either the Base kit or the sidewalk kit! Those are becoming more popular in the community!

Offline mdrufus

« Reply #154 on: Thu, 27 August 2020, 15:10:50 »
Does anyone know what the TKL WKL keyboard is in the first renders?

Offline $W4GK!NG

• Keyboard/Car/Audio Enthusiast
    • Linktree
« Reply #155 on: Thu, 27 August 2020, 15:22:54 »
There's literally nothing on top, so might be WKL 8X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Owl

« Reply #156 on: Thu, 27 August 2020, 18:03:40 »
There's literally nothing on top, so might be WKL 8X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is the Enigma Infinitum in blue.

Offline BeepBoopRobit

« Reply #157 on: Sat, 29 August 2020, 13:16:45 »
This is so clean

Offline tofulo

« Reply #158 on: Sat, 29 August 2020, 15:24:56 »
very cool set, sad the hangul isn't part of the base set

Offline Linux4Life

« Reply #159 on: Sat, 29 August 2020, 16:23:47 »
Looks very nice!

Offline tsjsupreme

« Reply #160 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 09:28:25 »
Hello! I absolutely love this set. I've been a lurker for like 2 years now. Just finally made a geekhack account, as the components for my first build are on the way to me now. I'm excited! But, I built it around this set thinking it was going live today. When can we expect it to go live? I know I won't see the caps in hand for a long time, and I've got some temporary ones until then. I just want to order it ASAP so that weight is off my chest, haha. I'm super excited regardless!

Offline Owl

« Reply #161 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 12:16:53 »
Hello! I absolutely love this set. I've been a lurker for like 2 years now. Just finally made a geekhack account, as the components for my first build are on the way to me now. I'm excited! But, I built it around this set thinking it was going live today. When can we expect it to go live? I know I won't see the caps in hand for a long time, and I've got some temporary ones until then. I just want to order it ASAP so that weight is off my chest, haha. I'm super excited regardless!

Very glad to hear you like it! Means a lot to me that you want this so bad. I haven't gotten an official date from my vendors yet but we discussed the second week of September as our goal and that has not changed. CandyKeys will be getting back to me next week and we will be able to show off the cables and artisans then. I will post an update on this thread as soon as we got those product details and there will be another update on this thread and my Discord when the exact GB date is announced. I apologize if the anticipation is a lot, (trust me it's a lot for me too haha) but it's just around the corner and I am very excited to get this out to you guys.

I want to thank everyone else again for following this project and supporting my design. You all have had so many positive and constructive things to say and I feel very lucky to have this opportunity and experience.

Offline Awayhugepickle

« Reply #162 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 12:39:26 »
I will be going all on this set. And I mean all in. Everything. My wallet is ready. like Issac walking up the mountain with Abraham. Or Ishmael if your Muslim.

The real question is.. is my wife ready?

Offline tsjsupreme

« Reply #163 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 12:41:36 »

Very glad to hear you like it! Means a lot to me that you want this so bad. I haven't gotten an official date from my vendors yet but we discussed the second week of September as our goal and that has not changed. CandyKeys will be getting back to me next week and we will be able to show off the cables and artisans then. I will post an update on this thread as soon as we got those product details and there will be another update on this thread and my Discord when the exact GB date is announced. I apologize if the anticipation is a lot, (trust me it's a lot for me too haha) but it's just around the corner and I am very excited to get this out to you guys.

I want to thank everyone else again for following this project and supporting my design. You all have had so many positive and constructive things to say and I feel very lucky to have this opportunity and experience.

Awesome! I'm just glad that it is in the works. Upon scrolling through looking for the look that I want in my first full build, this set kept standing out to me. So after a few times, I checked out the thread here and after reading the story behind it I am even more into it! I, like most people, thoroughly enjoy the emotions that I feel on a rainy day. The way you put the feelings into words was awesome, too! Can't wait to be the first one to get in on these :) Take care man, I'll be checking back here for sure!

Offline OtherAndrew

« Reply #164 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 04:11:57 »
are the kits final?

mainly concerned about:
- second b
- "Scroll Lock" vs "Scroll"

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #165 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 04:37:16 »
are the kits final?

mainly concerned about:
- second b

If they are final, but the runner still wants to include second B, the R3 1u \| key can be changed to R4 1u B without losing anything and without affecting quotes or pricing, it just will need to be communicated to GMK. See here and here.

As for Scroll↲Lock vs Scroll, this set does it the “OG way”, with two-line legends for Scroll Lock, Num Lock and stepped Caps Lock. I agree with you that it would look cleaner with single-line legends, though, so if the runner wants to, they can change R4 1u Scroll↲Lock, Num↲Lock and stepped R3 1.75u Caps↲Lock (both with and without the LED window) to Scroll, Num and Caps, respectively. Again, this just needs to be communicated to GMK when confirming the final kits for production.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 September 2020, 04:39:38 by konstantin »

Offline OtherAndrew

« Reply #166 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 12:37:50 »
are the kits final?

mainly concerned about:
- second b

If they are final, but the runner still wants to include second B, the R3 1u \| key can be changed to R4 1u B without losing anything and without affecting quotes or pricing, it just will need to be communicated to GMK. See here and here.

As for Scroll↲Lock vs Scroll, this set does it the “OG way”, with two-line legends for Scroll Lock, Num Lock and stepped Caps Lock. I agree with you that it would look cleaner with single-line legends, though, so if the runner wants to, they can change R4 1u Scroll↲Lock, Num↲Lock and stepped R3 1.75u Caps↲Lock (both with and without the LED window) to Scroll, Num and Caps, respectively. Again, this just needs to be communicated to GMK when confirming the final kits for production.

i never said that I wanted single line scroll lock/num lock

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #167 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 12:39:57 »
i never said that I wanted single line scroll lock/num lock

My bad. Now I did.

The inconsistency can be fixed either way.

Offline Owl

« Reply #168 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 17:49:38 »
are the kits final?

mainly concerned about:
- second b

currently getting new renders that will include second B in the spacebars kit, F13 in the base kit, changing 'scroll lock' to just 'scroll' in the base kit, and changing 'caps lock' to just 'caps' for the stepped versions only.

We will be asking for quotes tonight so after these changes, everything should be final.

Offline 7thAlchemist

« Reply #169 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 18:29:28 »
The marbled deskmat is GORGEOUS, tastefully done!!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #170 on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 03:09:35 »
currently getting new renders that will include second B in the spacebars kit, F13 in the base kit, changing 'scroll lock' to just 'scroll' in the base kit, and changing 'caps lock' to just 'caps' for the stepped versions only.

And Num Lock?

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #171 on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 04:41:28 »

And Num Lock?

If everything else is one line, might look odd to leave num lock two lines.

Offline Owl

« Reply #172 on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 20:38:04 »
Getting new renders of the changes made up now. Renderman said they should be done next week. Should be getting a quote from GMK near the 8th of this month. We are still on track for a September GB but just wrapping up some things with everyone to make sure it all works out. Thank you all for your patience and continued support!

As for the changes being made, agian, F13 and a second B will be added. We are also making the single line legends for numlock, stepped caps lock, scroll lock, ect. Thank you for this feedback as I think this is a great change that will fit the set very well.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #173 on: Mon, 07 September 2020, 07:07:29 »
As for the changes being made, agian, F13 and a second B will be added. We are also making the single line legends for numlock, stepped caps lock, scroll lock, ect. Thank you for this feedback as I think this is a great change that will fit the set very well.

Perfect :thumb:

Offline tsjsupreme

« Reply #174 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 12:36:33 »

Any good news yet?!

Offline Owl

« Reply #175 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 13:54:54 »

Any good news yet?!

renderman will be done with the updated changes to the kits soon. He said he was working on them tomorrow so we may have them as soon as tomorrow. We are still on track for September 29th GB date. Should be getting the prices back soon as well. Haven't heard about the cables and artisans yet from CandyKeys. I will check in on them to see if there is an update.

Offline Awayhugepickle

« Reply #176 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 09:10:39 »
So pumped for this next update! ;D

Offline Owl

Re: [IC] GMK Rainy Day | UPDATE: Group Buy September 29th. New Renders.[7/30/20]
« Reply #177 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 23:11:13 »
Just uploaded the new renders, F13, B, single lines on all the caps. Again, group buy still slated for 29th. Gonna get those price quotes to you all as soon as I can. Thanks SO MUCH for following this for so long and all of your support. It has been such a pleasure being able to give back to the community!

Offline ricepixer

Re: [IC] GMK Rainy Day | UPDATE: Group Buy September 29th. New Renders.[7/30/20]
« Reply #178 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 00:34:05 »
Beautiful set. I will be certainly getting this!

Offline EXOgreen

« Reply #179 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 21:01:37 »
Definitely picking up this set! Thanks for showing it off!

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #180 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 00:59:19 »
One of my favourite sets that I've seen, very excited for the launch.

Offline Current Keyboards

• currentkeyboards.com
« Reply #181 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 09:53:32 »
Getting excited. Let's see that GB pop up!

Offline boneandbee

« Reply #182 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 16:08:10 »
Oh wow I'm new and just found this and Amethyst. Both are awesome and I can't wait until Rainy Day goes live.

Offline Owl

« Reply #183 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 17:08:45 »
Quick update. So... some of you were right lol. 3 of the novelties didn't meet GMK standards. (I didnt have my scaling set correctly). So I am getting them changed. There wont be a big difference for all but one of them which is changed completely. This will not effect quoting or GB time. But there will be a last minute render thrown up at some point.

Offline Zestrion

« Reply #184 on: Thu, 24 September 2020, 04:34:56 »
This set is so clean and pretty. I really love the hangul kit, but kind of sad that I have to pick up the base kit also, resulting in a waste of latin alphas. Is there any chance that we could get a hangul base kit, similar to GMK Yuru? I understand that its already close to GB date and it will be hard to implement, but I think some others would appreciate it also.

Alternatively, anyone got ideas on how to utilise an extra set of alphas?

Offline Owl

« Reply #185 on: Thu, 24 September 2020, 17:45:50 »
This set is so clean and pretty. I really love the hangul kit, but kind of sad that I have to pick up the base kit also, resulting in a waste of latin alphas. Is there any chance that we could get a hangul base kit, similar to GMK Yuru? I understand that its already close to GB date and it will be hard to implement, but I think some others would appreciate it also.

Alternatively, anyone got ideas on how to utilise an extra set of alphas?

I agree with you. Having another base kit for hangul would have been ideal but it was sort of a tough decision that I didn't have a whole lot of experience making. On one hand, yes, it's a waste of alphas having to get the base kit and a hangul kit which results in spending more money for less efficiency. On the other hand, a hangul base kit would still have been more expensive than a regular base kit and I was worried that, because this is my first set, getting MOQ on both of those Base Kits would have been very difficult, possibly resulting in a hangul base kit not getting made which would be a disservice since one of my goals for this set was to serve a clean, themed set to those who want hangul. In the future, once I have a better grasp on what interest translates to in terms of MOQ and what vendors are willing to purchase on top of that, I would definitely like to find ways to get niche language kits to the community in a more efficient and cost effective way.

Offline djbakasan

« Reply #186 on: Thu, 24 September 2020, 18:53:25 »
I agree with you. Having another base kit for hangul would have been ideal but it was sort of a tough decision that I didn't have a whole lot of experience making. On one hand, yes, it's a waste of alphas having to get the base kit and a hangul kit which results in spending more money for less efficiency. On the other hand, a hangul base kit would still have been more expensive than a regular base kit and I was worried that, because this is my first set, getting MOQ on both of those Base Kits would have been very difficult, possibly resulting in a hangul base kit not getting made which would be a disservice since one of my goals for this set was to serve a clean, themed set to those who want hangul. In the future, once I have a better grasp on what interest translates to in terms of MOQ and what vendors are willing to purchase on top of that, I would definitely like to find ways to get niche language kits to the community in a more efficient and cost effective way.

FWIW, I think your line of thinking was super reasonable.  I definitely would have been in the audience that would have been super bummed if the MOQ meant that the hangul set simply didn't get made.  Hindsight is 20/20 but given the rationale, I'm happy you made the call that you did, even if it ends up being a bit more out of pocket for me-- but I'm so in love w/ the design of this, that it's a cost I'm more than happy to bear.

Offline Owl

Re: [IC] GMK Rainy Day | Update: New GB date October 6th. Cables![9/28/20]
« Reply #187 on: Mon, 28 September 2020, 16:53:52 »
Update for everyone:

The GB date has been moved to October 6th. The contact for quotes at GMK was sick last week and I also needed to create granular specification sheets to give to GMK that included all the rows, units, ect. (I didn't know this was needed so this happened last minute.) Our current goal is to start the GB on the 6th of October! Everything is already lined up to achieve this goal, it was really just the quotes that set us back. Rest assured, as soon as we get those quotes, we are going live!

As for some of the changes that have happened last minute...

Cables:
We are working with SwiftCables to bring you Rainy Day aviator cables! They have already provided me with some renders and product shots and they look fantastic! I have not added them to this IC yet as I want the information on here to be formal and vetted through everyone first. But you can check them out on the Discord!

Artisans:
Little bit of bitter sweet here. Artisans will not be made for the GB launch. We just couldn't get something together based on what me and the vendor discussed. HOWEVER, the good news is, Artisans WILL be coming in the future! We are planning to get them going a few months after the GB for the keycaps. And I think this is actually beneficial. For one, it will space out the financial commitment for my customers who want to get all the bells and whistles, giving you a few months to budget for those pricey artisans. It may also bring the artisan and keycap set shipping dates closer together since GMK is a couple months behind anyway. So I think this is a net positive for us and you guys!

Novelties:
As I said before, you all pointed out that there were some concerns with GMK manufacturing and my novelties. And you were right! I was convinced otherwise and that created more work and time constraints for the GB as well so I apologize for that. I have reworked the ones that needed to be reworked and vetted it with the lead vendor, Kono, and we are back on track. As I mentioned before, they only changed slightly.

I wanted to thank you all for your support and patience through this roller coaster ride. I know that some of these last minute updates and expectations were really jarring. A lot of this falls on me as I learn how to navigate a group-buy for the first time and all the details and work that go into it. I am absorbing a lot of experience and knowledge from all of this so that every design and customer experience is better than the last. I can't thank you enough for your unyielding support for this project and the kind and constructive feedback that you have all given me.

Offline Owl

Re: [IC] GMK Rainy Day | Update: GB Date Oct 6th. Cables and Novelties [9/28/20]
« Reply #188 on: Mon, 28 September 2020, 17:23:27 »
Just got the novelties. They are updated in the IC!

Offline Awayhugepickle

Re: [IC] GMK Rainy Day | Update: GB Date Oct 6th. Cables and Novelties [9/28/20]
« Reply #189 on: Tue, 29 September 2020, 10:57:16 »
Looks great owl! I think that will work out for the best with the artisans further down the line. You know, for my wallet lol.

Offline ..//dexx

« Reply #190 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 15:07:49 »
Still no pricing?

Offline Owl

« Reply #191 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 17:42:36 »
Still no pricing?

I actually have the pricing in hand! I am just waiting for one more vendor to convert to their currency so I can update the post.

Offline boneandbee

Re: [IC] GMK Rainy Day | Update: GB Date Oct 6th. Pricing Announced! [10/1/20]
« Reply #192 on: Fri, 02 October 2020, 09:45:33 »
I'm so excited for this GB - can't wait 4 more days!

Offline The.Ryan.Gamer

« Reply #193 on: Sun, 04 October 2020, 01:00:23 »
ZF?! Oh well. Man, i'll be forced to get another one from them. I hope to see more GMK Sets on Ilumkb.

Offline SpeakingSilence

« Reply #194 on: Sun, 04 October 2020, 07:10:13 »
Devestated that there's no 40s kit on this one. Really had my heart set on it. Fingers crossed for R2.

Offline obzkure

• Mode Designs
« Reply #195 on: Sun, 04 October 2020, 07:43:50 »
Loving the muted grey and subtle pastel colorway. Looking forward to it!

Offline Agilr

• Never stop achieving
    • Discord Server
« Reply #196 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 10:04:55 »
Can't wait for this to drop

Offline kumori

• polartype
« Reply #197 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 20:09:56 »
can't wait bro, so clean :3

Offline Current Keyboards

• currentkeyboards.com
« Reply #198 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 17:03:58 »
Nice, just bought my set and the grunge mat. I'm actually going to likely cerakote a version of my upcoming board just for this set haha. So stoked. Nice work!