Author Topic: [IC] Pearl 40% - Premium, HHKB, weighted, rgb, usbc, cherry/alps  (Read 68062 times)

Offline MikeTheTiger

Re: [IC] Pearl 40% - Premium, HHKB, weighted, rgb, usbc, cherry/alps
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 21:04:03 »
Looks great Koob. Can’t wait to grab one!!

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #101 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 21:04:32 »
Looks great Koob. Can’t wait to grab one!!
Same here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Koobaczech

• Don't forget to smile :)
    • Pearlboards
« Reply #102 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 21:24:24 »
Anodizing hookmarks seem to be the bane of every GB lately. If you'd like, I have a guy you can send it to for a cerakote test. You don't have to strip anodization to get something cerakoted. Most people will be happy with anything, but this is clearly something you want to be YOURS and PERFECT and not "something everyone is OK with," which, frankly, is the way I'd rather it be.
Cerakote finishes are also cheaper than anodizing, in many situations.
A few other questions:

Where does the plate mount to the case? From what I can tell it mounts to the top part, which is the better way to do it, but I'd just like confirmation.

Does installing the diffuser interfere with the USB placement? On some recent boards (Revo RJ, to name one) with optional diffusers, the USB port makes contact with the case and shorts out if the diffuser is installed.

This will only be offered with the aluminum bottom, right? It already seems a little thin, so offering it with a flat/cone feet acrylic bottom seems like it would take a lot of the "solid" feel away. This was an issue on some older LZs, the Duck Orion, and an early iteration of the KMAC 1. I saw pictures of it further up the thread, but I didn't really read anything about them.

8 plates seems like a sorting NIGHTMARE. You might want to consider removing some options that are more rarely used. This will be your first GB, and sorting is where a lot of new runners fall short. In the same vein, it might be better to make people source their own cables, or to have someone like donutcat run a cable GB alongside this to make less work for yourself.

Plate mount stabs are **** anyway, no compatibility for those is fine. Anyone worth their salt is already using PCB mount stabs for everything anyway.

Custom packaging might be worth looking into, and shouldn't add too much to the cost. I know 27 has been looking into it for mech27 v2, you might want to throw him a PM or discord message. It should speed up the sorting and QC processes.

Also, typing angle?

Feel free to PM me a reply to this if you don't want to discuss details publicly. I know some people are very secretive with some of this info.

Thanks a lot for the questions and concerns Puddsy! Let me answer them for you.

1. That would be really cool to get a cerakoted Pearl. My finisher cannot cerakote, and it would be interesting to know the price/process if it were something to consider overall as part of the GB.

2. Plate is top mounted, 14 M3 screws! Ill link pictures for you.

3. The diffuser does not come close to touching the usb by a long shot. Maybe by 4mms?

4. Heres the thing about that, you can build it with the diffuser as a bottom piece, and if you wanted to, add cone feet to the diffuser. It will be offered with everything you need to build it 4 ways. Thats to say, you can build it with the Aluminum bot, with the Aluminum bot + diffuser, with just the diffuser as a flat bot, or with a coned diffuser. Up to you.

5. 8 plates i know right :/ I might take you up on that advice Puddsy. But the plate issue arose because of the damn ALPS/Costar stabs. Ill see! As for the cable, it will be a simple USB-C no thrills cable to get you going. I can batch order a ton and just throw them in. Although if donutcat would be willing, that would be wonderful. I don't want to stress the man out with a ton of USB-C cables.

6. Lmao i agree. Nothing against my boy evangs, but the plate mounted stabs would always pop out of my Minivan.

7. Yes! Ive been looking into custom foam packaging. Ive already sent a Pearl to my friend with some super bubble rap in a very snug box, packaged all nicely. Thanks to the small form factor and cushion, it seems like custom packaging might not be much of a worry. The Pearl travels very safely! But ill shoot him a message, ty.

8. Typing angle is 6 degrees (5.8 ) with ALU bot. With the cone feet it is a bit steeper, 7+ for sure.

Puddsy, thank you for all the advice and recommendations. Appreciate it very much!
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 October 2017, 21:29:43 by Koobaczech »

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #103 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 21:26:57 »

Offline Peiweisgreat

« Reply #104 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 17:35:17 »
Looking at all the colors and they look amazing my friend, but think we can get a sample pic of the green?

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #105 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 17:40:34 »
Looking at all the colors and they look amazing my friend, but think we can get a sample pic of the green?
A green lover!

Offline JFKroflcopter

« Reply #106 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 17:48:21 »
I never had any interest in 40% in the past. But this... this changes everything.

Pearl is a must have for me  :thumb:

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #107 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 18:58:22 »
A green lover!

Yay, more green!

Offline noobiest

« Reply #108 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 21:52:20 »
Are the corner indicator lights RGB or single color, and can they be turned off or adjusted in any other way?

Offline dangboy

• yes
« Reply #109 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 11:54:01 »
I have no real reason to own two keyboards.
That is definitely not gonna stop me from jumping on this. It looks PERFECT

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #110 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 12:02:59 »
Yes sure, I agree
After all, you can never have too many 40s, right?

Offline dangboy

• yes
« Reply #111 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 20:25:21 »
That is an absolutely  beautiful collection, my dude!
This is actually gonna be my first ever 40%. I've been super interested in that sexy form factor A E S T H E T I C for a while now though.

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #112 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 20:44:02 »
That is an absolutely  beautiful collection, my dude!
This is actually gonna be my first ever 40%. I've been super interested in that sexy form factor A E S T H E T I C for a while now though.
Thanks sir, after the MechKeysCA MM2 and the Pearl45, no more MKBs for me!

Offline SynkRz

• I like caps
« Reply #113 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 05:37:19 »
Do you have any more pictures of the board with different profiled keycaps? (dsa)
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 October 2017, 09:28:52 by SynkRz »

Offline The_Suec

« Reply #114 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 11:38:19 »
About me and the Pearl
  • Many anodization color options - Black, gray, silver, cyan, blue, red, pink, purple, champaign, dark green, yellow, orange
[/quote
Any chance we could see some samples of the colours ?

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #115 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 09:36:48 »
Hello everyone. Back to answer some questions. But first, I've been building a website to take orders and calculate shipping costs to international buyers.

www.pearlboards.com

Shipping is free within CONUS. All the colors and options will be listed there but ill drop some renders with what I believe to be close to actual colors. Take the color renders with a pinch of salt though please. They will vary in real life.

Are the corner indicator lights RGB or single color, and can they be turned off or adjusted in any other way?
These are totally independent, non RGB. Regardless of the boards lighting state, they can be toggle on and off via Num, Caps and Scroll lock. You can solder any 2 pin led on here for whatever color you want. I will provide 3 white leds with every order however.

Thank you thank you!!

Any chance we could see some samples of the colours ?
Will upload some renders. Colors will vary in real life, but I tried to match them as close as I could.

Parts

Do you have any more pictures of the board with different profiled keycaps? (dsa)
Here are some pics!

Finally, Group buy opens in less than 1 month, around November 10th or sooner! More info to come soon
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 October 2017, 10:15:20 by Koobaczech »

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #116 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 11:12:43 »
I like the color options. Can't wait to see how these turn out.

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #118 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 13:54:57 »

Scroll lock.

wuts that <_>
Hey there dubious. Scroll Lock is a function that is intended to lock the cursor from moving, and instead allow the arrow keys to scroll the window contents. You can most likely find the key somewhere near your Pause and Print Screen buttons on a TKL+ sized keyboard. Similar to moving the side scroll bar up and down while keeping the cursor where it is. It has mostly gone out of use, but some applications (most notably EXCEL) still make use of the Scroll Lock function. It is one of the 3 function locks supported in most keyboards.

Offline mr scooty

« Reply #119 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 13:58:36 »
Any ideas on what we can expect for pricing?

Also will you have spare plates & pcbs for sale as well?

Looks stunning btw, gonna be an endgame 40 fasho

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #120 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 14:08:28 »

Hey bud, thank you! In the very beginning of the post I mentioned the price would fall between $250-$300. Now that I have a clearer picture, I'm thinking that it will be around $260-$270 with free shipping within the USA. That includes the case, plate, diffuser, pcb, hardware, cherry stabs, a cable and possibly other extras. Shipping for International orders will be calculated at checkout by USPS. Those prices range from $40-$70 and are not up to me to set. You will definitely be able to purchase extra components in my website during the GB! As for spare parts after the GB, it all depends on how many people join in. My profit margins are super slim, and they might not justify me buying spare parts to keep stocked.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #121 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 14:15:13 »
Any chance for a dark blue ano color. Or maybe a raw case option (no ano) so we can coat ourselves
keyboards.

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #122 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 14:17:03 »
Hey Tameone! Darker than the standard blue? This blue and the cyan blue are the two shades that my anodizer will be offering at the moment.

I can probably keep some raw if MOQ is hit and exceeded by a healthy amount, since economies of scale play into paying for the anodizing as much as it pays for production of the parts. That way you can finish it off with your own custom ano/cerakote/powdercoat/nickelplate/whatever
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 October 2017, 14:45:01 by Koobaczech »

Offline mr scooty

« Reply #123 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 14:59:24 »

Hey bud, thank you! In the very beginning of the post I mentioned the price would fall between $250-$300. Now that I have a clearer picture, I'm thinking that it will be around $260-$270 with free shipping within the USA. That includes the case, plate, diffuser, pcb, hardware, cherry stabs, a cable and possibly other extras. Shipping for International orders will be calculated at checkout by USPS. Those prices range from $40-$70 and are not up to me to set. You will definitely be able to purchase extra components in my website during the GB! As for spare parts after the GB, it all depends on how many people join in. My profit margins are super slim, and they might not justify me buying spare parts to keep stocked.

Great to hear! Gonna have to pick up a couple plates/pcbs for this one

Offline donut_sauce

« Reply #124 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 15:33:50 »
So excited for this! I’m already bracing myself for the inevitable sadness that will come when this thing sells out in seconds before I can fill out the form lol:D

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #125 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 15:35:22 »
So excited for this! I’m already bracing myself for the inevitable sadness that will come when this thing sells out in seconds before I can fill out the form lol:D
No form man!!! Anyone can join!

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #126 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 15:36:26 »
Great to hear! Gonna have to pick up a couple plates/pcbs for this one
Wonderful! Look forward to seeing you join in

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #127 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 16:34:58 »
Hey Tameone! Darker than the standard blue? This blue and the cyan blue are the two shades that my anodizer will be offering at the moment.
Show Image

I can probably keep some raw if MOQ is hit and exceeded by a healthy amount, since economies of scale play into paying for the anodizing as much as it pays for production of the parts. That way you can finish it off with your own custom ano/cerakote/powdercoat/nickelplate/whatever

Yes, like a dark navy blue.  But it's a difficult color to get right so it's infrequently offered.  I understand the economy of scale aspect, but I think I would definitely pick one up raw if possible.
keyboards.

Offline donut_sauce

« Reply #128 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 16:38:29 »
No form man!!! Anyone can join!
I thought it was gonna be limited to 100?

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #129 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 16:42:17 »
Yes, like a dark navy blue.  But it's a difficult color to get right so it's infrequently offered.  I understand the economy of scale aspect, but I think I would definitely pick one up raw if possible.
I see brother. I'll ask tonight about getting raw, albeit blasted finishes. Will update when I find out!

I thought it was gonna be limited to 100?
Honestly, I have no idea how many will sell, but I don't think it will hit 100. Very niche little board. If the numbers ramp up wildly, I might implement some raffle system with priority to those who have shown early interest! Also I did say "tentatively".
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 October 2017, 16:48:35 by Koobaczech »

Offline spiritjeon

« Reply #130 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 17:00:02 »
I hope GB starts quickly. I can't wait to see them on my desk. :D

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #131 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 17:03:34 »
Ty! 1st week of November :)

Offline Fausuto

« Reply #132 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 17:20:40 »
Damn, been lurking here for awhile. After seeing your most recent update with all the renders. Ive got to say you've put a lot of work into this. Might have to jump in for my first 40%. Its been looking clean!

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #133 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 17:48:34 »
Damn, been lurking here for awhile. After seeing your most recent update with all the renders. Ive got to say you've put a lot of work into this. Might have to jump in for my first 40%. Its been looking clean!
Appreciate it a lot man. I for one can't stand the people who show off a product and within a week run a GB for it. Literally money is their only drive, such a shame because things need time and care. Im just trying to do it right and pace myself for everyones benefit. Hope to see you join in!

Offline donut_sauce

« Reply #134 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 18:49:59 »
Ty! 1st week of November :)

Any super rough 100% noncommittal estimates of how long the production time is gonna be on this?

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #135 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 18:58:15 »
Should be done before January!

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #136 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 19:10:59 »

Scroll lock.

wuts that <_>
Hey there dubious. Scroll Lock is a function that is intended to lock the cursor from moving, and instead allow the arrow keys to scroll the window contents. You can most likely find the key somewhere near your Pause and Print Screen buttons on a TKL+ sized keyboard. Similar to moving the side scroll bar up and down while keeping the cursor where it is. It has mostly gone out of use, but some applications (most notably EXCEL) still make use of the Scroll Lock function. It is one of the 3 function locks supported in most keyboards.

will we be able to order bottom/top housings in different colors (two-tone)?

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #137 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 19:22:51 »
Show Image

I too would be very interested in a darker blue, something like this:

There are several sets that would match up well with a navy including Yuri, Nautilus and Calm Depths and Dark Solarized.

Offline dangboy

• yes
« Reply #138 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 00:58:22 »
Oh no. I can't decide what color I like.
Gonna pair this up with dev/tty with triumph mods.
.... maybe the green would look nice with the blue...
... but the cyan....
...and oh man that silver...

Offline Tre3Cycl3S

« Reply #139 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 02:01:03 »
Oh no. I can't decide what color I like.
Gonna pair this up with dev/tty with triumph mods.
.... maybe the green would look nice with the blue...
... but the cyan....
...and oh man that silver...

I feel you bro, I can't decide between all these pretty colours. Usually I default to black, but the purple, orange, and cyan looks really neat...
QFR           HHKB Pro-2     JD45         VE.A                    XMIT 61-Key       JD40 Mk.II                    Realforce 87U     M65-A                 Custom:Annie      NightFox      Pearl                  E6-V2 R2                          Norbaforce
MX Blue     45g Topre        MX Blue     R5 67g Zealios     50g Hall Effect     Modded Gateron Red     55g Topre           R5 78g Zealios     62g Ergo Grey     Hako True     R9 62g Zilent     Lubed Holy Trash Panda     OG Sony BKE Domes

Offline FearsomeCubedWarrior

« Reply #140 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 03:26:32 »
Orange? Or gold? Or rosegold? Damn, so many colors!
BTW, can we get real examples of colors before or during the GB? I remember my MD Planck fail with green: if only I knew it will be so out of advertized color...

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #141 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 08:51:57 »
Damnit Koob, now I can't decide between pink and purple.

Offline Robotical

« Reply #142 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 09:18:19 »
Damnit Koob, now I can't decide between pink and purple.

You totally want to go purple with a brass plate.  :)

Offline lordgiblite

« Reply #143 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 14:29:57 »
Show Image

Finally, Group buy opens in less than 1 month, around November 10th or sooner! More info to come soon

Is this board the pink variety koob? I can't believe how flipping amazing it looks and can only imagine putting GMK Laser on that bad boy!

And my body is ready for November! BRING IT ON!!! (my wallet is not ready yet so thank you for letting us know ahead of time)

Offline dangboy

• yes
« Reply #144 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 02:17:52 »
Thankfully my birthday is November 3rd, so I get a free pass at treatin myself... albeit a week late.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #145 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 02:46:59 »
Thankfully my birthday is November 3rd, so I get a free pass at treatin myself... albeit a week late.

HAAAAAAA I'm better than you by 1 entire day. I also get to treat myself though :P.

Offline regionfree

« Reply #146 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 05:35:40 »
Really excited for this. Would the first GB be limited in quantity/require a raffle to get in?

Offline bucket

« Reply #147 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 07:41:31 »
Really excited for this. Would the first GB be limited in quantity/require a raffle to get in?

Would agree greatly with the above and like to know the same thing, also the website that you linked to is just a notify via email website, might have misread something somewhere about what was on the site :)
Thanks

Offline melonpan

« Reply #148 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 07:47:37 »
welp I know what I'm getting for my birthday (nov 10) >< this'll be my first kit so I imagine the work it takes to get it built but I'm excited to learn!

Offline Azmodan

• Strangers have the best candy!
« Reply #149 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 07:52:34 »
I love the spherical vintage keycaps!

I will definitely get a set when the site/store is up! Are you going to offer them in more colors than the classic brown?