Author Topic: [IC] Gateron Cream Soda Switch  (Read 20680 times)

Offline PuNkShoO

• I make keyboard switches.
    • Check out my projects!
[IC] Gateron Cream Soda Switch
« on: Sat, 09 July 2022, 18:01:15 »

Group Buy Thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=118388

It's a hot summer day in July of 1952, you just finished your weekend yard chores and Pops tossed you a couple quarters. It's time to head on down to the soda fountain in town to meet up with some good friends, grab a bite, and an ice-cold treat. Nothing beats the summer blues like great times and good eats.

Hi, I'm PuNkShoO! I designed these switches to not only feel and sound awesome but to complement any board and provide great vibes. Cream Sodas are designed to deliver the deep bottom out we all love in Ink housings and that marbly top out that graces all those boards filled with Milky switches. To accentuate these sounds the Cream Soda switch has been equipped with a long pole stem to bring out all the lovely goodness of these housing materials. If you're looking for that marbly creaminess that everyone's talking about you're going to love Cream Sodas.

Photo by Margaret Almon

Switch Specs:

Linear
Milky Top Housing
Long Pole POM Gateron Stem (Same as Pure Berry)
Ink Bottom Housing
63g Bottom Out
18mm Gold Plated Long Spring
3.8mm Travel
Factory Lubed
Expected Price: 70-75c

Vendor List:

US: Keebhut
CA: RNDKBD
EU: KEYGEM
UK: Keebcats
CN: Moyu.studio
VN: Shibay Mech
SG: Qwertyqop
JP: Basekeys
KR: Swagkeys
OCE: Prestige Keys

Interest Check Form

Poster and Renders

Sound Demos

QK65 w/ FR4 Plate & GMK Shoko

Zoo65 w/ PC Plate & PBT Cherry profile keycaps

Satisfaction 75 w/ Brass Plate & IFK Comfy

Zoo65 Build w/ L+F Cream Sodas
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 October 2022, 15:31:53 by PuNkShoO »

Offline FiEND

Re: [IC] Gateron Cream Soda Switch
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 July 2022, 18:03:07 »
factory lubed or dry?

Offline PuNkShoO

• Check out my projects!
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 09 July 2022, 18:09:45 »
Factory lubed, yes.

Offline Keeblet_257

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 10 July 2022, 08:32:22 »
will it be a heavy factory lube or a light one? please be a light one so I can lube over it, because no factory lube is consistent enough for me

Offline Mr Chrome

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 10 July 2022, 09:18:37 »
It’s kinda like those Gateron Milk and Tea switches that never came about. I liked the aesthetics of those more but Milky Inks are a winning combo so :thumb:
“This plastic rectangle is alright. The plastic rectangles on top of it, though...”

Offline jabe8i

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 July 2022, 09:39:47 »
Looks dope. Would match perfectly with Simple Hangul. But am I the only one tired of all these linears that, lets be honest, will feel exactly the same as every other linear with lube?
Whatever I'm prolly buying it LOL
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 July 2022, 14:34:14 by jabe8i »

Offline reaper2oc

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 10 July 2022, 13:23:31 »
Looks dope. Would match perfectly with Simple Hangul. But am I the only one tired of all these linear that, lets be honest, will feel exactly the same as every other linear with lube?

Lol i feel the same way... maybe this will be the last linear I buy  :-X

Offline PuNkShoO

• Check out my projects!
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 11 July 2022, 01:51:00 »
Looks dope. Would match perfectly with Simple Hangul. But am I the only one tired of all these linears that, lets be honest, will feel exactly the same as every other linear with lube?

Ehhh. Some of us can feel the nuances but you're not far off. Tactiles are where the fun comes in!

Offline jabe8i

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 12 July 2022, 15:04:13 »

Ehhh. Some of us can feel the nuances but you're not far off. Tactiles are where the fun comes in!

Yea I get it, materials, stem pole length, tolerances, etc. But you can't deny that a decent lube job with krytox205g0 will make the differences, at least in terms of feel/smoothness, go away a little. (I guess saying it "will feel exactly the same as every other linear" is a poor choice of words) Only "real" difference I look for in a linear would be the sound and travel time.

And yea tactiles (and clickies if you're into that) definitely give more variety with regards to push feel.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 July 2022, 15:06:25 by jabe8i »

Offline PuNkShoO

• Check out my projects!
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 12 July 2022, 17:20:21 »

Yea I get it, materials, stem pole length, tolerances, etc. But you can't deny that a decent lube job with krytox205g0 will make the differences, at least in terms of feel/smoothness, go away a little. (I guess saying it "will feel exactly the same as every other linear" is a poor choice of words) Only "real" difference I look for in a linear would be the sound and travel time.

And yea tactiles (and clickies if you're into that) definitely give more variety with regards to push feel.

So you would say a fresh unwhipped NK Cream feels the same as a CJ after lubing with regard the general scratchiness of it?

Offline jabe8i

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 13 July 2022, 08:13:30 »

So you would say a fresh unwhipped NK Cream feels the same as a CJ after lubing with regard the general scratchiness of it?
Definitely not lol. But cmon those two are on polar opposite sides of the spectrum, hardly a fair comparison. Unbroken-in creams to lubed gat yellows is a huge jump in smoothness, absolutely no denying that. When you move to lubed JWKs, lubed inks,  or lubed tangerines they are definitely much closer in smoothness/feel and almost indistinguishable when you are typing relatively fast.

Like I said, I get it, there are still noticeable differences, I can feel them too, especially if you try to find it by pushing extremely slowly. But generally speaking, lube, especially something like krytox205g0, would "equalize" a good portion of linears out there (I'm pretty sure that's been the general consensus out there for a while). Especially since much of the most recent ones to come out are either straight up recolors of existing switches or made by the same handful of brands/factories.

Hope you're not offended, I'm still definitely interested in these, just making an observation that a bunch of people have probably already made with regards to the recent linears coming out lol
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 July 2022, 08:20:40 by jabe8i »

Offline jabe8i

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 13 July 2022, 08:19:03 »
Anyways back to topic. Any other SEA vendors planned? Also I think a dry option would be nice but I can work with the factory lube I guess.

Offline PuNkShoO

• Check out my projects!
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 17 July 2022, 23:34:42 »
Anyone else interested in dry vs pre-lubed like an Oil King?

Offline PuNkShoO

• Check out my projects!
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 18 July 2022, 02:33:34 »
Anyways back to topic. Any other SEA vendors planned? Also I think a dry option would be nice but I can work with the factory lube I guess.

Usually for GBs like this the first run is exclusive to a single vendor so we will not be having multiple vendors in each region at this time.

Offline PuNkShoO

• Check out my projects!
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 22 July 2022, 09:16:40 »
Updated regional vendor list.

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 23 July 2022, 14:57:38 »
I have no interest in these switches at all, but damn does that cream soda photo look appetizing.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline PuNkShoO

• Check out my projects!
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 24 July 2022, 13:12:08 »
I have no interest in these switches at all, but damn does that cream soda photo look appetizing.

They are delicious! What, if anything, would make you interested in a switch design?

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 24 July 2022, 13:30:58 »

They are delicious! What, if anything, would make you interested in a switch design?
I mean if I can be frank, nothing really. Linears are all kinda the same thing to me. I'm sure as hell that these'll be really smooth with the ink bottoms, and the colors are appealing, but I just feel like the linear market is over saturated nowadays.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 24 July 2022, 14:53:07 »
sitting on an absurd quantity of switches but I'll still join anyway

Offline jabe8i

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 24 July 2022, 16:20:12 »

same here bud

Offline PuNkShoO

• Check out my projects!
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 25 July 2022, 12:34:20 »

Same, though. Closet full of switches, nearly 20 boards full, too, and still looking for that ideal switch, lol.

Offline LMarci

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 15 August 2022, 18:29:06 »
Long pole mink sounds pretty cool

Offline PuNkShoO

• Check out my projects!
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 20 August 2022, 23:40:10 »
Currently waiting on 2nd round of samples for approval. Stay tuned for some sound tests soon.

Offline conternecticus

• (¬‿¬ )
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 03 September 2022, 04:43:20 »
Ah, the C'thulu frankenswitch. GLWIC!

Offline PuNkShoO

• Check out my projects!
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 07 September 2022, 00:17:59 »
Added a few demo videos. GB is looking to start in a couple weeks. Thanks everyone!

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 08 September 2022, 07:40:46 »
ooh this is interesting. will snag a 90 pack for sure.

Offline donaldmanny

• Location: I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON
  • @inputdevices
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 19 September 2022, 07:57:35 »
Can't wait to pick up a pack of 90! Filled in a request for no factory lubing in the IC, but after watching Tofutypes' video,

I wouldn't mind pre-lubed. Thanks for bringing this to the market!
KFE CE / Satisfaction / Rotor / Paragon / Dolice / HG / F1 / Dodici / Theca / ME-1 / Unikorn / Kohaku

Offline jetjagaa

• Giga-Robo
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 19 September 2022, 09:18:52 »
Will 100% be putting in an order. The community needs more creators taking the initiative to bring accessibility to Frankenswitches!

Offline Infrared

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 19 September 2022, 22:51:26 »
Anyone else interested in dry vs pre-lubed like an Oil King?

yea id love to see a dry version, i dont really like factory lubed switches cuz im just gonna go over it anyway
White Fc660c

Offline PuNkShoO

• Check out my projects!
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 19 September 2022, 23:15:33 »
These will only come factory lubed but the lube application is pretty consistent and is only on the rails. They are easy to hand lube over the existing lube if you're not heavy handed in your daily lube endeavors to begin with. You can also wipe the stems clean beforehand. Switch pricing does not come down if not prelubed and it adds a level of unintended work to these switches. My intention was to produce a switch that is amazing out of the bag/box and requires no additional work for someone to truly enjoy. However, us enthusiasts are welcome to put in a tad more labor to really bring out the richness of these switches with a hand lube application and switch film. Either way, I hope to see everyone in the GB and to see these in boards worldwide. Thank you all for your support!

Offline KBKlon

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 19 September 2022, 23:20:40 »
Please consider offering dry version.

Offline PuNkShoO

• Check out my projects!
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 19 September 2022, 23:44:28 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 September 2022, 12:58:12 by PuNkShoO »