Author Topic: [GB] Calla - F13 TKL w/ reduced switch spacing [Shipping]  (Read 53583 times)

Offline kevinave

• keebing it cool
[GB] Calla - F13 TKL w/ reduced switch spacing [Shipping]
« on: Tue, 11 July 2023, 16:45:20 »
Current Update

Last Bi-Weekly Update 04/27/2024:

Github Link: here

Update Sheet Link: here

Update Notes:

Expected to start shipping out this week, with extras releasing two weeks after the last unit ships out. Divinikey's team did an excellent job QC'ing :)

I'll make one more update before extras come out, but other than that we've finally made it. Thank you for your patience and I can't believe that it's nearly finished.

Discord server will be maintained for the foreseeable future as a direct line of communication to me for technical questions and support.

Previous Updates
More

Update 04/13/2024: Calla should arrive at the warehouse by the next update!

Update Notes:

Hopefully I didn't jinx it but it is slated to arrive within the next update window. Foam has arrived and is being kept at DK's warehouse.

Update 03/30/2024: Cases still in Transit!

Update Notes:

Looking forward to getting them :]

Update 03/16/2024: Cases in Transit!

Update Notes:

Carrying cases finished, cases are currently being packed and shipped to us. Once they arrive, its only a matter of QC'ing the units before fulfilling GB orders.

Update 03/02/2024: Carrying Cases nearly finished

Update Notes:

Carrying cases are projected to be finished by the 10th. If there are further delays, we are looking into having the Calla units shipped over to hasten QC.

Update 02/17/2024: Production Resuming Shortly

Update Notes:

Production resuming shortly after holidays. I intend to track carrying case progress closely.

Update 02/03/2024: CNY begins for factories

Update Notes:

Nothing much to say besides holiday has begun so production on the carrying cases are on pause.

Update 01/20/2024: 5th Monthstone

Update Notes:

Carrying Case: Latest ETA from manufacturer is March 2024
Foam: Shipped out within the month or shortly after CNY
O-rings: Shipped from manufacturer
Electrocapacitive PCBs: Updated firmware to reenable VIA compatibility and allow for calibration and actuation point setting. More testing is still required.

This update marks the 5th month since the GB had ended. As it stands, it looks like everything besides the carrying cases and items dependent on the carrying cases will arrive within a month from now.

I had not expected carrying cases to take this long to finish production. Luckily, if there are no additional delays with the carrying cases, we can still make it within the original GB estimate of 6-8 month lead time, albeit in the far latter portion of the estimate.

In the meantime, I will continue to work on validating the open sourced files and will begin to release them as they are finished within the coming weeks.

Update 01/06/2024: First update of the year!

Update Notes:

PCBs: Arrived at warehouse, starting QC. Will be working on adding calibration to EC firmware this week.
Foam: Apologies about the foam status, the order seems to have been delayed for longer than I would have hoped. Trying to get production started by next update.
O-rings: Should be in transit by next update.
Carrying Cases:  Reaching out again this week to see if I can get an updated expected completion date.

Previous Updates

Update 12/23/2023: Happy Holidays and an Early New Years!

Update Notes:
PCBs: Arrived at customs
all CNC parts:  Finished, now waiting for carrying cases to be finished for shipping purposes
  • I moved all cnc'd parts to 'transit' status to denote that they've finished production but they will not be shipping to our warehouse until they can be safely packed into the carrying cases (which requires the carrying cases to be finished as well)

Update 12/09/2023:

Update Notes:
PCBs:
Still in transit to warehouse
CNC:
    Case:
Anodization 90% complete
    Weights: Finished CNC, waiting for engraving

Update 11/25/2023:

Update Notes:
PCBs:
In transit to warehouse
CNC:
    Case:
CNC Finished
    Weights: In CNC

Update 11/11/2023:

Update Notes:
PCBs:
Boards have been cut, moving onto assembly + flashing
CNC: Nothing new to report, will ask for a more detailed update for the next update

Update 10/28/2023:

Update Notes:
Orings/Foam: Just to explain, the turnaround time should be incredibly so I'm waiting to order them when the cases are ready to be shipped.
PCBs: Production samples confirmed. Everything okay, found and fixed a few firmware bugs. Factory should begin production run of all PCBs from now on.
CNC: Currently machining GB units

Update 10/14/2023:

Update Notes:
This update marks our 2nd month of updates.
PCBs: Production samples arrived in the States and are in transit directly to me. These are the final production samples and after I've confirmed their status, the factory will begin full production of the PCBs.
CNC: Programming is nearly finished. After it's finished CNC of the units will begin

Update 09/30/2023:

Update Notes:
Production Sample PCBs are in transit

Update 09/16/2023:

Update Notes:
Carrying Case photos soon(?) Fixed some date issues with the chart as well

Update 09/02/2023:

Update Notes:
Nothing out of the ordinary besides a hurricane in California.

Update 08/19/2023: First post-GB update

Update Notes:
Color distribution chart and numbers posted. Does not include extras from DK.

GB Information
More

Calla

Directory:

Group buy details:
  • GB window opens on July 17th 11 AM Pacific
  • GB ends on August 14th 11 PM Pacific
  • Estimated ETA is around Q1 2024 (6-8 month lead time)
  • Vendor: Divinikey
  • Kit Options: Solder Hybrid-MX, Hotswap MX, or EC Topre
  • Format: FCFS through Divinikey's storefront
  • Hard limit: 150 kits
  • Solder MX Kit Cost: $450
  • Hotswap MX Kit Cost: $455
  • EC Topre Kit* Cost: $480

*If you are interested in purchasing a Topre kit or Topre extras, please consult the build guide first

As for the group buy format, there will be a product page listed on Divinikey's storefront in which you will be able to customize your kit, order extras, and pay for your order. Furthermore, order fulfillment will be handled through Divinikey, for more information regarding their shipping policies, see here.

Kitting Information:
  • Top and Bottom Case
  • Exterior weight
  • Interior weight
  • Mounting Plate (Full MX Aluminum/Polypropylene or Full Topre StS* based on selected kit)
  • PCB (Solder, Hotswap, or Electrocapacitive depending on selected kit)
  • Carrying Case
  • Hardware Kit
    • 8 x M3 6mm 18-8 StS Socket Head Case screws (91292A111)
    • 4 x M3 4mm 18-8 StS Hex Drive Flat Head Weight Screws (92125A127)
    • 7 x M2.5 5mm 18-8 StS Socket Head Plate Screws (91292A009)
    • 4 x M2 3mm Zinc-plated Daughterboard Screws (91460A021)
    • 1 x Gummy O-ring (50A)
    • 4 x Bumpons (SJ5302)
    • 1 x 100 mm JST connector
    • 1 x Universal Daughterboard

*StS plate comes with appropriate mounting screws (91200A104) for Topre builds

Compatible Configurations:
More

*The Electrocapacitive PCB supports split backspace, split right shift, and stepped caps-lock. However, the plate offered in the group-buy only supports the depicted configuration.

Miscellaneous Information:
  • Layout: F13 WKL TKL
  • Switch Spacing: 18.9 mm
  • MX Mounting: Top mount or gummy O-ring gasket mount
  • EC Mounting: Top mount only
  • Typing Angle: 5.5 degrees
  • Height: 21.9 mm effective keyboard height / 17.9 mm front face height (w/o bumpers)
  • Weight: ~4.0 lbs/1810 grams built
  • Top engraving: Calla lily

• PCB Firmware: QMK w/ VIAL enabled
  • PCB Thickness: 1.6 mm
  • PCB Material: FR4
  • Connector: USB Type-C
  • Daughterboard: Universal Daughterboard

• Case Material: 6063 Aluminum
  • Internal Weight Material: Brass
  • External Weight Material: Stainless Steel
  • MX Kit Plate Material: 5052 Aluminum or Polypropylene
  • EC Kit Plate Material: Stainless Steel

Extras:
  • Solder MX/Alp Hybrid PCB (+$35)
  • Hotswap MX PCB (+$40)
  • Electrocapacitive PCB (+$50)
  • Aluminum MX Full Plate (+$40)
  • Polypropylene MX Full Plate (+$40)
  • Stainless Steel Topre Full Plate (+$55)
  • Hardware Kit + PE PCB Foam* (+$20)

*There will be different durometer O-rings to select as part of the hardware kit. The hardware kit that comes with each board will have a 50A durometer ring by default.

Build Stream:
A silver unit is going to be built by TaehaTypes on his Twitch at July 12th 1PM Pacific! The planned build is Cherry MX Blacks on a polypropylene plate so come through if you are interested!

Build stream has been finished! Full vod is available here

Below are some clips I've made of relevant events:

Gateron Ink Blacks + Alu Plate:
Cherry MX Blacks + PP Plate
Misc:

Pre-GB Interest Check Form:

Due to the length of time between original interest check and now, I wanted to collect some last minute feedback on the planned group-buy format and structure as well as guage the current interest in the project. Furthermore, with recent events in group-buy fulfillment, I do not want to start a group-buy without confidence that MOQ can be met without vendor help. The form also has the option to "reserve" a group-buy kit, which will send you an invoice that will be active through the entirety of the first day of the group-buy. The form will be open until July 14th, 2 PM Pacific.

Estimated Fulfillment Timeline:
  • Group buy (ongoing): here!
  • Processing orders (1 week):
  • Ordering from manufacturers (1 week):
  • Waiting for production (6 months):
  • Receiving inventory (1 month):
  • Packing and quality control (2 weeks):
  • Delivery (2 weeks):

All in all, we're aiming for a turnaround time of around 6-8 months (mid-late Q1 2023). Of course, delays are inevitable but I will do my best to maintain a clear line of communication throughout the fulfillment process.

Update Process:

After the group buy window ends, there will be bi-weekly updates on both discord and this Geekhack thread outlining the fulfillment progress. I plan on having separate timelines for each part, so that it will be easier to visualize the fulfillment process at each stage. Even if there was no change since the last update, I will still relay that information in a new update post.

Open Source Parts:

Everything except for the case files will be open-sourced following Group Buy completion. This includes plate files, firmware, PCB files, weight files, and anything else that could be helpful. If there are any modifications you would like made to an existing file, (such as making a split backspace and split right shift Topre plate) feel free to reach out to me and I would love to help.

Compiled Q&A Section:
More
Question: What stabilizers are compatible with the StS Topre plate?
Answer: Compatible with both Costar and Cherry plate mount. Still attempting to source compatible plate mount wires from deskeys but have not heard much from them.

Question: Has there been any interference issues with any keycaps/profiles?
Answer: So far, I have found no interferences with any keycaps I have tested. Some profiles like MT3 are harder to remove with a keycap puller but was still manageable by removing the assembly from the case before attempting to remove keycaps. I have a more extensive writeup on the second message of the IC thread.

Afterword:

Despite the challenges in finding a suitable manufacturer, I was able to use the additional time to further improve Calla. Most notably were the development of a new electrocapacitive PCB for Calla (made possible with the open-source projects of Cipulot and the sanity checking by Langer), a lower $450 base price, and collaborating with the exceptional crew at Divinikey, who will serve as the vendor for the group buy. It was an absolute journey to get here and I just want to say: thank you for your support, take care, and have a wonderful day.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 April 2024, 01:36:24 by kevinave »

Offline soloplayer

Re: [GB] Calla - Seamless Side Profile F13 TKL w/ reduced switch spacing
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 12 July 2023, 19:10:14 »
Calla so 🔥

Offline phaxin

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 12 July 2023, 21:40:12 »
In for a mx kit with topre extras  :thumb:

Offline Patty

• do u like my cat yes or no
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 12 July 2023, 23:20:40 »
damn the taenut is selling me, beautiful board and it sounds awesome, good luck with the gb!

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 14 July 2023, 00:15:57 »
Any plans for an F12 top design? :think:

Offline aicyborg

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 14 July 2023, 19:50:27 »
please put a much bigger link ideally at the top of the thread for where to buy it. i had to do way too much reading to hunt down divinikey's store link

also gl with gb! would like to join probably near the end if finances permit

Offline kevinave

• keebing it cool
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 17 July 2023, 12:01:19 »
Update 7/17/2023: 1 hour to GB window opens!

Main GB Page: https://divinikey.com/products/_bvn-calla-tkl-keyboard-kit
Extras Page: https://divinikey.com/products/_bvn-calla-tkl-accessories

Just as a reminder, the window is open from 11 AM Pacific July 17th to 11 PM Pacific July 31st or until we reach the hard limit of 150 units. If you have received an invoice from the pre-GB feedback form, you will have until the end of today to complete the invoice.

I've also made the link to the main page a bit larger on the original thread post. Next update should be to announce the closing of the GB window.

Offline Furki

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 18 July 2023, 16:27:53 »
Reduced switch spacing is definetely really interesting! It looks pretty tight - did you have any interference issues with other keycap profiles and manus?

Also GLWGB! Hope you can hit your MOQ limit!

Offline kevinave

• keebing it cool
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 21 July 2023, 17:16:51 »
Reduced switch spacing is definetely really interesting! It looks pretty tight - did you have any interference issues with other keycap profiles and manus?

Also GLWGB! Hope you can hit your MOQ limit!

Nope! But that is a good question, I tested a few common keycap manufacturers and profiles in the second message of the IC thread. For the newer profiles, Taeha did test MTNU on stream and it looked like there was no issues aswell
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 July 2023, 17:39:52 by kevinave »

Offline doctorboy

• ClackX
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 24 July 2023, 11:48:22 »
Thanks a lot for moving this interesting project into the GB stage. I love its uniqueness with the reduced switch spacing and also your position as a maker about open-source a lot of the parts. Kudos to you sir!
Would love to consider it in the future when an EU vendor is available. GLWGB!

Offline twitchytheinsideman

• UWU UWU UWU UWU UWU UWU UWU UWU UWU UWU
    • Twitchy Homepage
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 24 July 2023, 16:08:17 »
what i like:
  • good looking
  • good concept
  • it has EC

GLWGB :thumb:

Offline kevinave

• keebing it cool
Update 07/28/2023: GB Window Extension

I had initially overestimated interest in the board from the previous two interest forms and reaching MOQ has been more difficult than expected. Thus, the window end date has been extended from July 31st to August 14th, to allow for additional orders and streams/reviews of the board. I'd also like to reiterate that I don't want anyone to feel concerned/pressured about the MOQ, I've discussed it with DK and the board will run regardless if MOQ is met.
      Though I hope that this will allow for more informed purchases with the additional streams/reviews, it will push back production by two weeks. Ultimately, the fault lies with me for setting too short of a GB window and extrapolating the wrong info from the interest/feedback forms and I apologize for the production delays that arise from this change.

That said, thank you for sticking around and have a good weekend.
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 July 2023, 00:12:23 by kevinave »

Offline HubertThemad

• * St. Jude Supporter
I'm glad that Divinikey will be funding the board no matter what. Goes to show how much faith they have in the board as well as you!

Love the concept and the board, and I hope the lack of purchases (hopefully, this will change of course) won't dissuade you from designing awesome boards in the future.

GLWGB!

Offline involuntarysoul

the huge flower engraving turned alot of ppl off

Offline BITO

I love the flower engraving. It fits the aesthetic of the board and is minimalistic and elegant enough to not distract from the board itself but add to it.
Bought mine through the pre-GB invoice.

Very excited to receive this and thankful for Divinykey and Kevin for making it happen even though it's struggling with MOQ.
Great communication so far and I'm looking forward to it staying that way.

Don't miss out on this people!
(Also, Alps support and EC possibility!)

Offline kevinave

• keebing it cool
Update 08/14/2023: Last update before the GB window closes at 11:59 PM PST today

Update Notes:
The total number of units and color distribution as part of the next update on the 19th. Other than that, its been a wild journey so far and I will do my best to finish this GB cleanly.

This will be how the biweekly update format will look like for both Geekhack and Discord, which will be starting on the 19th. There will be a screenshot of this chart for easy viewing as well as a link to the related google sheets for a more complete timeline to track progress. Update notes will also be included as appropriate. Sadly, I've been having issues with getting notified to replies on this thread so contacting me on Discord will still be the fastest way to get a response.

Offline Oni

Re: [GB] Calla - F13 TKL w/ reduced switch spacing [Shipping]
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 07 May 2024, 17:14:10 »
GB looks to be starting fulfillment, got a shipping notification from Divinikey

Collection: Special Whale, Montage, Infinitum, Kei