Author Topic: Keyboard reprogramming device  (Read 1693 times)

Offline lydell

Keyboard reprogramming device
« on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 03:41:47 »
I got an idea today. I wonder if such a thing exists.

Imagine a little device that you plug into a USB port on your computer. It could look like a USB flash drive. The computer will think that it is a keyboard. On the other end of the device, there is a USB port. There you plug in any USB keyboard.

By default, the above should be equivalent to plugging the keyboard directly into the computer.

Then comes the point of the device. It's programmable. And it should be very easy to do so. It should allow you to make basic remappings of keys, and more advanced things like dual-role keys.

I know that there are reprogrammable keyboards. But far from all are, unless you reverse engineer the firmware of course. But that's unnecessarily difficult, and you risk bricking your keyboard. Even if your favorite keyboard has built-in reprogrammability, what do you do when it isn't you favorite anymore?

I also know that you can do it via software. But using the device, you don't have to maintain separate software solutions for all different OS:es you use. And if you bring your keyboard to another keyboard, it will just work when you plug it in. Or if you switch to another keyboard on the same computer, you could just leave the device plugged in and switch the keyboard attached to it.

What do you think? Is it a good idea? Does something like this exist?

Offline jacobolus

Re: Keyboard reprogramming device
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 03:29:42 »
There’s a discussion of precisely this idea in the Making Stuff Together forum: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33057.0

And there, Soarer also points to http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/is-remapping-a-usb-keyboard-using-teensy-possible-t2841.html
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 December 2013, 03:36:23 by jacobolus »

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 03:25:40 »
I think that you might be able to if you can program a teensy

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline lydell

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 04:08:29 »
Thanks for the links!