Author Topic: DSI smk-85  (Read 11123 times)

Offline vils

DSI smk-85
« on: Fri, 22 August 2008, 17:38:18 »
I just bought myself a refurbished SMK-85 with alps switches.
Was this wise? I wanted a Alps compact keyboard so I grabbed it, but I somehow remember hearing bad things about this keyboard... Any comments?

/Vils
It\'s the glass pipe fallacy. You can only believe that if you\'re on crack.

Offline vils

DSI smk-85
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 22 August 2008, 17:49:04 »
Ok, I found this review http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=579&highlight=smk-85+alps and if it's the same board, even though mine is grey, it was 45 (77 incl. shipping) well spent USD.

/Vils

P.S.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190240948024&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching#ebayphotohosting

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
DSI smk-85
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 22 August 2008, 19:15:45 »
Congrats.  We expect to see pictures!!

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
DSI smk-85
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 22 August 2008, 19:23:06 »
Its a very nice looking keyboard, the only thing I'd have a gripe with is that the FN button is where the CTRL button should be, and CTRL is moved over the right of the Win Key... They could have at least left the Control button to the right of the FN like on many laptop keyboards.

Offline vils

DSI smk-85
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 22 August 2008, 19:55:49 »
Thanks, I will post pics as soon as it arrives (and a camera is handy).
Since I wrote the first post I've trawled this forum for info about the keyboard. I really hopes the switches are genuine ALPS and not strongman. But I shouldn't say anything before trying it out.

/Vils

Offline graywolf

• http://www.graywolfphoto.com/
DSI smk-85
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 22 August 2008, 21:09:59 »
Quote from: vils;7740
I just bought myself a refurbished SMK-85 with alps switches.
Was this wise? I wanted a Alps compact keyboard so I grabbed it, but I somehow remember hearing bad things about this keyboard... Any comments?

/Vils

Is that the gray one that was on eBay? I saw it and was wondering if it had the tactile clicky keys or not.

Offline vils

DSI smk-85
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 22 August 2008, 23:32:40 »
Quote from: graywolf;7749
Is that the gray one that was on eBay? I saw it and was wondering if it had the tactile clicky keys or not.

I think it's the same and  I hope the keys are clicky:rolleyes:

/Vils

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
DSI smk-85
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 22 August 2008, 23:48:21 »
I used to have an all black one with black Alps switches (tactile, no click, and a rubber stopper at the bottom of the plunger inside the switch). I loved it, I swore by that thing for a while and it never gave me any issues. The reason I don't have it anymore is the MK96 with white Alps switches. After I bought that one and used they whites I can never go back to the blacks - they have a slight spongy feeling when you bottom and the whites do not. But a lot of people here that bought refurbs said they didn't have real Alps switches and they sucked. I hope this is not the case for you. If it has real Alps whites and you don't like it, I'll buy it from you in a second.

Offline vils

DSI smk-85
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 23 August 2008, 14:38:59 »
If it has real Alps it won't get sold, but lets see what kind of switches it uses.
Can some one who owns a SMK-85 measure the diamensions of the "key-set" i.e. the opening in the plastic to accomodate for the keys.

Thanks in advance.

/Vils

Offline vils

DSI smk-85
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 26 August 2008, 03:20:32 »
Still nobody with a smk-85 and a ruler?
Dsi just confirmed that the board I will recive uses strongman switches... not any luck here.
To remedy this I went on shopping spree and orded one Majestouch with real black Alps and one Majestouch mini with brown cherries. I'll have difficulties in explaining this to my wife ;)

/Vils

Offline vils

Offline lowpoly

DSI smk-85
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 26 August 2008, 03:47:22 »
Dsi just confirmed that the board I will recive uses strongman switches... not any luck here.

When you receive it, please make a macro photo of the switch and put it up here.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline vils

DSI smk-85
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 26 August 2008, 08:10:29 »
I will.

/Vils

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
DSI smk-85
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 26 August 2008, 15:13:02 »
Is the SMK-85 available retail anymore or is it strictly an ebay item these days?  I'd love to sample one of those as my travelling board.  I've been using this Cherry G84-4100 for over a year and it's not far from being a "pure black no letters" board.  =-D
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
DSI smk-85
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 26 August 2008, 15:31:41 »
Just emailed support@dsi-usa.com

Has anyone else had contact with DSI in the past?  Were they fairly responsive?  I'd order an SMK85 today and expense it if they had it in stock.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline itlnstln

DSI smk-85
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 26 August 2008, 15:39:31 »
I just e-mailed them about possible ergonomic, mechanical boards and received a fairly quick response.

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
DSI smk-85
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 26 August 2008, 20:01:37 »
Quote from: itlnstln;7967
I just e-mailed them about possible ergonomic, mechanical boards and received a fairly quick response.

Polite, quick, just not the answer I was looking for.
Quote from: DSI
Good Afternoon,

Thank you for shopping DSI products. We no longer manufacture the SMK 85 and will not have it in stock.

Thanks and have a Great Day!

Karl Otto Kipp

karl@dsi-usa.com
Andrew

Offline victheslik

DSI smk-85
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 26 August 2008, 20:58:14 »
-
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2023, 22:16:37 by victheslik »
"The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain. " Karl Marx
A wiseman once said, "If Bible proves the existence of God, then comic books prove the existence of Superheros."

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
DSI smk-85
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 26 August 2008, 21:09:08 »
Don't buy from that store. CBstore is a known fake - iMav ordered from there and they never delivered.

Offline victheslik

DSI smk-85
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 26 August 2008, 22:25:32 »
-
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2023, 22:16:35 by victheslik »
"The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain. " Karl Marx
A wiseman once said, "If Bible proves the existence of God, then comic books prove the existence of Superheros."

Offline vils

DSI smk-85
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 10 September 2008, 16:03:25 »
After many troubles and a lot of e-mailing my keyboard finally got shipped, what I'll recive  will  show. I'll notify you.

/Vils

Offline vils

DSI smk-85
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 12 September 2008, 05:51:08 »
Quote from: vils;7780
If it has real Alps it won't get sold, but lets see what kind of switches it uses.
Can some one who owns a SMK-85 measure the diamensions of the "key-set" i.e. the opening in the plastic to accomodate for the keys.

Thanks in advance.

/Vils

I'm still intrested in the diamensions. Height from Esc to Fn and Width from Esc to Delete.

/Vils

Offline vils

DSI smk-85
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 13 September 2008, 17:59:16 »
The keyboard has finally left US and is heading home to me so I'll soon know wich switches it sports and I'll keep a ruler handy so I can take those measurments.

/Vils

Offline vils

DSI smk-85
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 16 September 2008, 16:36:10 »
I'll propably get it tomorrow, and according to the tracking tool it spent one (1) minute in customs so I don't think it'll cost me any VAT :D

/Vils

Offline vils

DSI smk-85
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 23 September 2008, 16:43:03 »
Quote from: vils;8807
I'll propably get it tomorrow, and according to the tracking tool it spent one (1) minute in customs so I don't think it'll cost me any VAT :D

/Vils

I was wrong, I picked up the keyboard today, paid the customs fee plus VAT. This KB has now costed me a bit over  $100. But Ithink it was worth it. Perfect size and layout for my type-writer mod, and indeed clicky. From what I know the switches are strongman, marked IA50.
I'll soon post some more info.

/Vils

Offline madmaxmedia

DSI smk-85
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 25 September 2008, 15:39:50 »
I have nothing to add to this conversation, other than as a father of 2 I really like the quote in vils' sig.

Other than that, enjoy the keyboard!!

Offline vils

DSI smk-85
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 27 September 2008, 14:58:43 »
Quote from: madmaxmedia;9091
I have nothing to add to this conversation, other than as a father of 2 I really like the quote in vils' sig.

Other than that, enjoy the keyboard!!

Zappa said some brilliant things in his days, and as a father of three I just had to quote those lines.

I really like the keyboard sofar, switches mounted on a steel plate, nice clickiness... But the "case" is horrendus. Silver painted cheap plastic, good for me that I'll only use the key part. The keycaps I still have to use and they are awful as well, very thin plastic (single moulded) and lettering not properly aligned.
Is it possible to buy high quality keycaps seperatly somewhere?

/Vils

Offline elmomax

DSI smk-85
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 27 September 2008, 17:09:57 »
I am pretty sure that the board you have is the same one that Ashort and I bought directly from DSI on ebay - it is unlikely that anyone else could possible design a more awful looking silver case. The keyboard feel is ok  - but yes the silver painted plastic and the keycaps are butt awful.  If you search through the boards you will see the comments that Ashort made on the topic of the silver case.  It is really offensive.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
DSI smk-85
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 28 September 2008, 02:13:02 »
I had a Northgate and an MK96. The MK96's keys sucked terrible bad, and the Northgate didn't work the best so I swapped the keys over and tossed the Northgate. This is your best option.

But, CVT might sell you a set of keys. They make them in black and ivory colors for their Avant Prime and Avant Steller keyboards. Their keys are the same as the Northgate, which means double molded and thick.

Offline vils

DSI smk-85
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 28 September 2008, 14:22:32 »
CVT? Do you have a link?
If their caps fit the smk-85 I'd be pleased.

/Vils

Offline vils

DSI smk-85
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 28 September 2008, 14:28:49 »

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
DSI smk-85
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 28 September 2008, 18:31:19 »
http://www.cvtinc.com/default.htm

I think the keys would all fit, even the single space \ and the reverse L return.

Well, I never. There is .002 seconds I'll never get back! ;)

Offline vils

DSI smk-85
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 28 September 2008, 20:37:19 »
I've sent them an e-mail, we'll see if they're intrested in selling.

/Vils

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
DSI smk-85
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 28 September 2008, 21:20:35 »
Let us know.

Offline FKSSR

DSI smk-85
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 26 February 2009, 10:07:51 »
Sorry to revive an old thread, but was there any progress made here (by vils or someone else)?  

Did everyone get the keyboards (even from the grabcart.com site)?
How are they holding up?
Does CVT make keys that fit the SMK85?

I'd really like to have a black "stealth" compact keyboard like the Realforce 91UDK-G, and the SMK85 looks like it could be modded to be like that (by adding blank keys or painting the keys).

P.S.  I know the all black HHKP would work, but it's just to expensive for me, right now.

Thanks!
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline wellington1869

DSI smk-85
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 26 February 2009, 11:42:01 »
dont buy from grabcart, they dont deliver, see the previous page in this thread.

I just spoke with dsi yesterday on the phone, looking for an smk85. They told me pretty clearly: they dont have any, not even 'in the back'. They dont have any refurbished ones either, not even on ebay. They also told me they will not be manufacturing any more boards with alps switches, they're all cherry now. The modular mac (on their website) has replaced the smk in their lineup (it uses cherries only). And while they have some plans to bring out an additional compact board in the next few months, it too will have cherries, not alps.

What this also means is that grabcart's listing of "new" smk85's, is FAKE. They dont exist anymore, certainly not in new inventory like that.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline ozar

DSI smk-85
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 26 February 2009, 12:18:07 »
Quote from: wellington1869;22884
And while they have some plans to bring out an additional compact board in the next few months, it too will have cherries, not alps.

I'm really glad to hear that.  I've been wanting one of the smk-85's (except for that odd-looking ENTER key they have), but now I'll wait for these new models to come out.  Any word on what the ENTER key might look like?

Offline wellington1869

DSI smk-85
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 26 February 2009, 12:25:07 »
Quote from: ozar;22888
I'm really glad to hear that.  I've been wanting one of the smk-85's (except for that odd-looking ENTER key they have), but now I'll wait for these new models to come out.  Any word on what the ENTER key might look like?

dont know. If they use the modular mac as the base, it should be normal (thank goodness).

the modular mac is already out. he said the additional compact model would be out 'soon', but that could be anything from 1 month to 6 months, who knows.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline FKSSR

DSI smk-85
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 26 February 2009, 12:49:34 »
But the SMK85 was for PC, so I hope the new compact keyboard going to be for PC as well.

Offline wellington1869

DSI smk-85
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 26 February 2009, 12:51:48 »
well as far as the modular mac line, they said there will be a black PC version of it out soon (very cool, I think; too bad its cherries though). Dont know if they're planning two lines like that for the second compact board.

Offline ozar

DSI smk-85
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 26 February 2009, 14:23:27 »
Quote from: wellington1869;22890
If they use the modular mac as the base, it should be normal (thank goodness).

That looks nice, but I wish they'd leave off the wasted space on each end where there are no keys, but a DSI logo, and two LEDs only.  It seems redundant to create a compact keyboard then do that to it.  I could live with it, though.

Offline wellington1869

DSI smk-85
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 26 February 2009, 14:24:42 »
the extra space is for the connector for the modules that can be attched to either side.
Yea I could live with it too. I really like the modular concept and the overall layout of the keys. I'd wait for the black PC version though. And I wish theyd put out an alps version but no chance of that anymore.

Offline itlnstln

DSI smk-85
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 26 February 2009, 14:30:14 »
My only gripe with the DSI modulars is the price.  $100+ for that? Seriously?  Really, import costs aside, I have a hard time justifying a $100+ price tag for a keyboard, unless there is some special (and I mean special) technology or design that warrants it.  Topre-based 'boards might due to the relatively unique technology involved, but the DSI modular is not that.  Other than the ability to attach stuff to it, which really couldn't be any more than a novel adaptation of USB, it's nothing too special from a technology or design standpoint.

/rant

Offline ozar

DSI smk-85
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 26 February 2009, 14:31:24 »
@ wellington

Yeah, I'm definitely waiting for a black version.  Of course, once I get hundreds of dollars invested in black keyboards, the new computer style will undoubtedly revert to beige once again.

Offline FKSSR

DSI smk-85
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 26 February 2009, 14:35:09 »
eh, screw style.  Black is forever. :)

Even though I can't afford $300 for a keyboard, the black HHKP is always tempting me!

Offline ozar

DSI smk-85
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 26 February 2009, 14:38:05 »
Quote from: FKSSR;22908
eh, screw style.  Black is forever. :)

Even though I can't afford $300 for a keyboard, the black HHKP is always tempting me!

Same here, but the price?!

What is it that makes them so expensive, and why don't the Japanese export them to other countries?

Offline itlnstln

DSI smk-85
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 26 February 2009, 14:38:13 »
Quote from: ozar;22907
@ wellington

Yeah, I'm definitely waiting for a black version.  Of course, once I get hundreds of dollars invested in black keyboards, the new computer style will undoubtedly revert to beige once again.

Beige is king.  Don't get me wrong, I love the aesthetics of black peripherals, but there is something industrial and down-to-business about beige keyboards.  I like that feel in my Ms, Dells, and Evolution.

Edit: If I ever got a HHKB, I would get black on black.  You know, just to clarify. :)

Offline itlnstln

DSI smk-85
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 26 February 2009, 14:41:45 »
Quote from: ozar;22910
Same here, but the price?!

What is it that makes them so expensive, and why don't the Japanese export them to other countries?

They are very high quality, for one.  That, and they use a unique implementation of capacitive keyswitches.  I still think they are too high, but they are one of the few keyboards I think warrants the high price.

Offline ozar

DSI smk-85
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 26 February 2009, 14:46:25 »
Quote from: itlnstln;22911
If I ever got a HHKB, I would get black on black.  You know, just to clarify. :)

I've had my eye on the black without any symbols for a while.  I'd probably take any if I could get a good deal on it, though.

Offline itlnstln

DSI smk-85
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 26 February 2009, 14:50:06 »
Quote from: ozar;22913
I've had my eye on the black without any symbols for a while.  I'd probably take any if I could get a good deal on it, though.

I am a crappy typer, so I would want the legends so I could cheat.  The black on black wouldn't be very easy to see, so it would help my touch typing skills.  At some point, I would then get a set of blank keys to replace them with.

Offline wellington1869

DSI smk-85
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 26 February 2009, 14:59:03 »
well with RIT you can make it any color you like :)
After looking at that board with chocolate brown keys, thats my new favorite color scheme now. I could turn my at101w into that pretty easily with RIT.

black on black is cool. I'm usually pretty happy with "classic white" tho, lol.

Offline chimera15

DSI smk-85
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 29 April 2009, 14:00:39 »
Reading this thread I'm uber happy now.  I contacted dsi and asked just for a shot in the dark if they had any smk-85's refurb or otherwise available, and they wrote me back and they said they had 1!! I couldn't believe it.  I contacted them by phone just about 30 minutes ago and bought it.  They told me it was their last one and that they used it in trade shows for display purposes. It's the ps/2 version, so most likely it'll have whatever the alps compatibles switches are.

Reading this thread I guess there's some confusion as to the manufacture of the switches, some say they're grey?  I'm really wondering what exactly they are.  Noone posted any photos?  I'll be sure to take some photos and post them when I get it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 April 2009, 14:09:55 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline skriefal

DSI smk-85
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 29 April 2009, 18:59:16 »
Some SMK-85s had white Alps clone switches; other had the gray switches.

Offline zwmalone

DSI smk-85
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 29 April 2009, 20:49:39 »
Some also had the black switches like the one XsPhat had...
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline chimera15

DSI smk-85
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 29 April 2009, 22:32:39 »
Quote from: skriefal;88184
Some SMK-85s had white Alps clone switches; other had the gray switches.

Ah so cool.  Can't wait to see what I get.  Any way I think it was a great buy and find. heh
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
DSI smk-85
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 29 April 2009, 23:03:21 »
Quote from: zwmalone;88208
Some also had the black switches like the one XsPhat had...

True dat. Even said Alps on them.

Offline itlnstln

DSI smk-85
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 30 April 2009, 06:49:31 »
Quote from: chimera15;88215
Ah so cool. Can't wait to see what I get. Any way I think it was a great buy and find. heh

It almost sounds like Christmas.  I think any of the Alps (or fake) varieties are nice (blacks are my favorite).

Offline itlnstln

DSI smk-85
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 30 April 2009, 06:50:20 »
BTW, XsPhat, sausage gravy is fantastic.  Especially on biscuits.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
DSI smk-85
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 30 April 2009, 10:13:04 »
I know, I saw that when I was looking up a biscuits and gravy recipe, and I thought it was funny in a Beavis and Butthead kind of way.

Offline itlnstln

DSI smk-85
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 30 April 2009, 10:19:43 »
Heh, heh.  He said "sausage gravy."