Author Topic: Bulk key cleaning  (Read 4705 times)

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
Bulk key cleaning
« on: Sat, 18 April 2009, 20:31:37 »
So I picked up another 1391401 at the thrift shop today (pics coming later) but I want to de-scunge it.

I removed all the keys (leaving ~105 silly little holes sticking springs out to mock me), and cleaned out the casing and "base" nicely, but now I've got 101 keys, some of which have dirt impacted.

I threw them all in a bag, and filled the back with hot water and soap.  Some help.  Rinsed and added some 70% alcohol-- no major help.  What next?  Is there any way I can wash them in bulk rather than spending three nights cleaning individually?
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline kyamei

Bulk key cleaning
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 18 April 2009, 20:42:49 »
I soak the keys in a rather concentrated mix of Simple Green and water, stirring every now and then.  Usually gets everything off.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 April 2009, 20:45:06 by kyamei »
Topre:  Realforce 101, Realforce 87U, HHKB Pro 2
Cherry Brown:  Compaq MX11800
Cherry Blue:  Filco FKBN87MC/EB
Cherry Black:  K-202 numerical keypad
Alps Black:  AT101W, ABS M1
Alps White:  Focus FK-2001
Buckling Springs:  Model M 1391401, Lexmark Model M 82G2383, Model M2
Buckling Sleeves:  Unicomp Model M4
Futaba:  Sejin EAT-1010

Offline bigpook

Bulk key cleaning
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 18 April 2009, 21:22:50 »
If the keys are really that dirty, then just let them soak over night. Simple green and water like kyamei mentioned will break the dirt down.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline Hak Foo

Bulk key cleaning
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 18 April 2009, 21:34:42 »
I don't have Simple Green, but in the spirit of infomercial product love, I'm trying Oxi-Clean.  We'll see... man it turns the water grey, but wether it's key goo or just how the stuff works is another matter.

Offline bigpook

Bulk key cleaning
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 18 April 2009, 21:44:13 »
: ) I have oxi-clean in a spray bottle. Thats some good stuff.

Offline Xuan

Bulk key cleaning
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 18 April 2009, 22:36:06 »
I've cleaned two model M, and for the keys y left them in water with detergent for a while and then clened each one with a sponge.
It didn't take more than 15 minutes.

Offline twolf

Bulk key cleaning
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 18 April 2009, 23:21:52 »
I let the keys soak in soapy water then dried the keys with a microfiber towel and they all came out good as new.

Offline Hyperion

Bulk key cleaning
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 19 April 2009, 00:49:11 »
Oh man I took a few of the keys off my das ult the other day just to take a look at th cherry blues, but the caps were actually of a different size for each row. In the end it took me 20 minutes to figure out which ones went where. Lucky you have letters on your keys.
The key to cleaning anything really is to dissolve whatever you want to get off, then get something fast and strong to push the dissolved stuff off. Just soak the keys in something and then put them in a big bucket and stir really hard.

Offline Hak Foo

Bulk key cleaning
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 19 April 2009, 00:57:54 »
No, Hyperion, the trick is to use a keyboard design where all the keys are the same shape, and the base provides the shaping.

Offline lowpoly

Bulk key cleaning
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 19 April 2009, 14:31:06 »
Dishwasher FTW.

I put the keys in the cutlery basket and cover the compartments so the keys are not thrown out by the water jet.

I'll never clean keycaps by hand again.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
Bulk key cleaning
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 19 April 2009, 14:49:33 »
Quote from: lowpoly;86434

Seems like a smart decision, considering the factors of "hurting fingers" + "time spent" in my past keyboard cleaning...

Some folks also put the keycaps into some kind of sack which in turn goes into the washing machine.

I'm too impatient for this kind of cleaning method though. I usually can't wait until the respective machine is used next time (besides the dishwasher isn't too large to begin with), but rather want to start right now...
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline lowpoly

Bulk key cleaning
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 19 April 2009, 15:07:15 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;86438
Some folks also put the keycaps into some kind of sack which in turn goes into the washing machine.
This might put mechanical stress on the caps though.

Quote from: keyb_gr;86438
I'm too impatient for this kind of cleaning method though. I usually can't wait until the respective machine is used next time (besides the dishwasher isn't too large to begin with), but rather want to start right now...
Depends on how many keyboards you have cleaned already. I usually have a couple of 'boards lined up waiting for treatment.

And the dishwasher isn't too big as the case and cable usually go in as well. If it's a board I don't care about much then dishes are no problem either. Everything will get clean anyway.
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 April 2009, 15:57:14 by lowpoly »

Offline majestouch

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http:///elitekeyboards.com
Bulk key cleaning
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 20 April 2009, 01:11:35 »
I'd second kyamei's tip with the simple green. That stuff cuts through oily caked on grime like nothing else and is safe on rubber and plastics in my experience. I would avoid other recommendations to use anything requiring hot water since different plastics have different melting points; water you can put your hands in is fine, but temperatures closer to boiling can be risky.
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 April 2009, 01:56:55 by majestouch »

Offline lowpoly

Bulk key cleaning
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 20 April 2009, 04:02:09 »
Quote from: majestouch;86467
I'd second kyamei's tip with the simple green. That stuff cuts through oily caked on grime like nothing else and is safe on rubber and plastics in my experience. I would avoid other recommendations to use anything requiring hot water since different plastics have different melting points; water you can put your hands in is fine, but temperatures closer to boiling can be risky.

I dishwash at 55° Celsius. The only time I had problems with melting was the white case of an IBM/Ambra Model M clone. Model Ms do well at this temperature so this came as a surprise. No problems with keycaps so far.

Offline Hyperion

Bulk key cleaning
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 20 April 2009, 05:13:51 »
Hey the Das' working temperature is 0-70 so if the cherrys are sealed and the case is seal I should theoretically be able to type on it in the washing machine.

Offline bigpook

Bulk key cleaning
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 20 April 2009, 05:19:08 »
I put the top and bottom cases in the dishwasher but put the keys and caps in a bowl of soapy water.
I go so far as to use an old tooth brush to clean individual keys as needed. Its a one time deal for each keyboard but it is somewhat tedious. I have only had to do this for some of the model m's I have gotten off of ebay. Makes me wonder where some of them were being used.

Offline FKSSR

Bulk key cleaning
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 20 April 2009, 08:32:42 »
Since dishwashers are hard to come by in NJ and NYC, I end up washing by hand..

I've never had keys too dirty, so I just soak them in hot water and dish soap over night and wash them with a sponge by hand.  It takes a while, but it's worked so far.
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline Mikecase00

• http://www.mikecase.net
Bulk key cleaning
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 20 April 2009, 12:00:13 »
Quote from: lowpoly;86434
Dishwasher FTW.

I put the keys in the cutlery basket and cover the compartments so the keys are not thrown out by the water jet.

Amen.  I put them in a mesh bag on the top rack (the kind used for running lingerie through the washing machine).  I do turn heated dry off though.  It's never failed, the keys come out nice and clean.
IBM Model M 1391401 (dyed black) w/ keys from M-13
IBM M-13 Trackpoint (naturally black)
IBM Model M 1392934 SpaceSaver
Several plain IBM 1391401 Ms
Epson Equity Q203A
http://www.mikecase.net

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Bulk key cleaning
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 20 April 2009, 15:45:01 »
Soak them in bleach. If that doesn't get them clean, throw the 'board away.