Author Topic: yet another recommendation request  (Read 2602 times)

Offline dacat

yet another recommendation request
« on: Tue, 28 April 2009, 14:27:26 »
Currently using a SteelSeries 6G (got it free this is day 3 of use).
It replaced a mirosoft natural keyboard 4000 v1.

I feel like i am pounding on the keys.  I had to bottom out the keys on the MS keyboard to get it register consistently but it had some kind of padding at the bottom. The 6G  is all plastic when i bottom out.  

Features I want:
- I like the layout with the large backspace
- I would like the ability to remap keys easily (maybe with software) I use VI a lot and am contemplating remapping the ctrl key to the caps lock key for ease of use. It would be nice but not necessary to be able to mechanically remap the keys (if that's at all possible)
- Clickty keys are good for me since i do not share office space.

My job:
I am a programmer that spends must of his day in VI.

[edit]
On the recommendations below, it looks like i will be purchasing the following http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/cus101usenon.html
The hope is that I will lighten up my typing and not pound the keys so damn much. I thought about going the linux layout route, but since this is the first time in who knows how many years that i have a flat non-ergonomic board, i think i'll take  it one step at a time.

[edit]
I live in the US.

[edit]
Just orderd a Unicomp Customizer 101 white.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 April 2009, 16:06:33 by dacat »

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 April 2009, 14:29:33 »
Personally, I think you should try a Model M and use a program like KeyTweak to remap keys.

If you pound on keys, it may help you to get a key with a little resistance like a buckling spring keyboard.

If you find you start to type softer (which you probably will, at least a little), you can try white alps or blue cherry (less resistance in that order from BS).
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline dacat

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 April 2009, 14:36:35 »
FKSSR: do you have a recommendation on reputable dealer online that sells the model M?

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 April 2009, 14:43:08 »
Quote from: dacat;87845
FKSSR: do you have a recommendation on reputable dealer online that sells the model M?
Unicomp

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 April 2009, 14:46:13 »
Yeah, I should have mentioned Unicomp.  They make new BS keyboards like the Model M.  I don't own one yet, but I plan on getting one.

As far as getting a vintage Model M, you can find some feedback through the eBay Finds forum.  I have bought from a seller on eBay ncbound10, and I had no problems.  However, there are many others on eBay that would be fine.

Offline dacat

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 April 2009, 14:54:00 »
I'll check out unicomp and post back when I get it.

Offline IBI

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 April 2009, 14:59:23 »
Which country are you in?

The steelseries 6G is linear MX isn't it? I find the big problem with those isn't the feel so much as the nasty plastic sound, and if that's the case then a Model M may not suit you as they have a metallic sound rather than a reassuring dull thud. If you're in the US you can probably get an original one one cheap though so they may be worth trying.
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline dacat

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 28 April 2009, 15:02:25 »
I have no idea what the steelseries 6g is . I pulled of the key caps and it says CHERRY on the swtich with a letter A in the bottom left hand corner.
edited my original post to include purchase recommendations from the group.
http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/cus101usenon.html

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 28 April 2009, 15:10:06 »
As for IDing what's in the 6G, what color are the switches? Typical ones are black (linear), blue (clicky + tactile), clear (tactile) and brown (tactile, lower force). If it's blues, I wouldn't be surprised, as it's easy to bottom out on those (certainly as a Model M user).

BTW, remapping Caps Lock to Ctrl shouldn't be too hard. In Windows, one can just use SharpKeys, in Linux it is most defintely possible as well.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 April 2009, 15:13:11 by keyb_gr »
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline dacat

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 28 April 2009, 15:11:59 »
I am located in the US.
As for the 6G, the switch is black with a black stick.

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 28 April 2009, 15:47:39 »
Yeah, 6G is black cherry, linear switches.  Personally, though, I think you will like typing on tactile switches better as most people do.

I think you'll be happy with a Unicomp or IBM M.

Offline dacat

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 28 April 2009, 16:05:52 »
Just ordered my unicomp 101 customizer. -- Now the waiting begins.

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 28 April 2009, 16:06:40 »
Sweet!  You will likely get it within a week or so.  They are very quick, most of the time.  Post back here when you get it!

Offline ozar

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 28 April 2009, 16:10:38 »
Quote from: dacat;87876
Just ordered my unicomp 101 customizer. -- Now the waiting begins.

They used to ship out the same day or the next day after ordering, but they've apparently been rather busy of late and it took about a week for me to get my last order from them.  They'll send out tracking info once it ships.