Author Topic: Re: [IC] XDA Melon ( IN PRODUCTION & More information available on GB borad )  (Read 49956 times)

Offline hormbre

• I am not played by keycaps = =!
No worries.  It looks very nice with a silver case.

Apologize for my misunderstanding ( thought "caps" = "CapsLock"  before ).
The light green color of Modifiers is selected to be more matchable with hami melon in China, as you can see below : )
171946-0

Offline lovetree

Hey, I found a seller opening GB of SA melon in Taobao.
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=2013.1.w25148-9309242114.5.2e538ffeRDxGQ4&id=554598839431

Is this GB an official proxy in Asia?

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
Does maxkey mimic SP colors? If so, what color code will the alphas resemble?
keyboards.

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.

They do Pantones

Offline hormbre

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=2013.1.w25148-9309242114.5.2e538ffeRDxGQ4&id=554598839431

Yes! We have opened GB in China since Jun 29th . The Taobao link you posted is the official channel of MAXKEY : )
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 July 2017, 19:15:02 by hormbre »

Offline hormbre

They do Pantones

Yes, the manufacturer do pantones as Oblotzky replied( Thanks  :thumb:). BTW MAXKEY is considering to make their own colors in the future as far as I know.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 July 2017, 19:17:15 by hormbre »

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
What's the Pantone for the alphas? Sorry for all the questions
keyboards.

Offline hormbre

What's the Pantone for the alphas? Sorry for all the questions

background: 9180 U
Font:16-1442 TCX

Offline lovetree

Yes! We have opened GB in China since Jun 29th . The Taobao link you posted is the official channel of MAXKEY : )

I can't believe they have already been sold out in Taobao proxy while I was waiting for your reply!
Wow, it sells like the speed of light.
Now I have to wait 5th July to join the GB.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 July 2017, 04:49:54 by lovetree »

Offline hormbre

Re: [IC]MAXKEY SA Melon ( updated on Jul 1st )
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 02:18:36 »
UPDATED ON Jul 1st :  We are sorry to tell you that the group buy will not open on July 5th, because the collaboration with MAXKEY will not continue for some reasons!     Apologize for this again !

Offline lovetree

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 04:51:32 »
UPDATED ON Jul 1st :  We are sorry to tell you that the group buy will not open on July 5th, because the collaboration with MAXKEY will not continue for some reasons!     Apologize for this again !

Ah, so bad news.
But I hope this project go GB eventually.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 07:30:36 »
Whaaat????? :(
keyboards.

Offline LiamOS

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 10:34:19 »
Damn. Is there any possibility that these will be available anywhere or another time?

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 10:45:12 »
Can you tell us what happened.
keyboards.

Offline hormbre

Re: [IC]XDA Melon ( updated on Jul 3rd )
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 13:06:17 »
UPDATED ON Jul 3rd :  1.We have decided to change the profile of Melon to XDA!  2.More kits & more novelties are available. We have designed 7 kits ,the planck kit will be added soon. 3. XDA Melon will be sold by kit.     Any questions and suggestions are welcomed!
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 July 2017, 14:19:06 by hormbre »

Offline Hazzula

« Reply #65 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 13:13:10 »
UPDATED ON Jul 3rd :  1.We have decided to change the profile of Melon to XDA!  2.More kits & more novelties are available. We have designed 7 kits ,the planck will be added soon.     Any questions and suggestions are welcomed!
Ohhhh interesting. Kinda sad it isnt SA anymore but I have been planning to get an XDA set. Can't wait to see what the planck set will look like :o

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Offline ns90

« Reply #66 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 13:20:06 »
Alright, now that it's not SA you can count me in.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 13:31:32 »
I'd still be on board with XDA, however, I would make sure you're confident in their ability to recreate the colors. The rgb dye sub job on milestone was washed out and didn't match renders. Canvas was delayed due to poor legend dye sub job on the initial run.
keyboards.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #68 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 13:47:12 »
Alright, now that it's not SA you can count me in.

Same here.

Offline colgateam

« Reply #69 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 14:51:28 »
So glad this isn't SA anymore!
XDA is one of my favourite looking profiles too =)

Offline Bob

• Kaleidographer
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 23:08:39 »
I just started taking interest in this too now that it's XDA and has some kits that can accommodate ortholinear boards. Can't wait to see the XDA renders :thumb:

Just one suggestion - Perhaps offer the 1U "enter" key in both colours the same way you offer it in the base kit for consistency?
TG3 BL82, Cherry MX clears
Access IS 15x8 matrix layout, Cherry MX blacks

Offline hormbre

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 03:33:29 »
I just started taking interest in this too now that it's XDA and has some kits that can accommodate ortholinear boards. Can't wait to see the XDA renders :thumb:

Just one suggestion - Perhaps offer the 1U "enter" key in both colours the same way you offer it in the base kit for consistency?

Good suggestion, we will add one soon !
Thank you very much !

Offline LiamOS

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 08:57:55 »
Well, I guess I'll be getting an XDA set then.

Offline lovetree

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 09:15:22 »
Very interesting to change to XDA profile.
But I have some concerns on the colors because of the material of keycap.
XDA might be PBT not ABS, then it might adopt dye-sub instead of double injection.
Can the colors of your design be produced properly?
This might be my prejudice but the dye-subed colors are so vague and too calm.
I hope your Melon keysets be bright and clear.
Good luck on GB!

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 09:18:52 »
I would implore you to add more keys to the space bar kit. XDA has convex 2, 2.25, and 2.75u molds, and you could also add a blank 1.25u cap. All of these are essential for those of us trying to use split space, which is becoming more and more popular, yet is maddening difficult to find coverage for.
keyboards.

Offline e996

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 11:26:42 »
I would implore you to add more keys to the space bar kit. XDA has convex 2, 2.25, and 2.75u molds, and you could also add a blank 1.25u cap. All of these are essential for those of us trying to use split space, which is becoming more and more popular, yet is maddening difficult to find coverage for.
I second this! A smaller option to maybe just get 1u mods or blanks would also be very nice

Offline hormbre

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 21:16:11 »

Have added as you wish , thanks for your sugguestion  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline Bob

• Kaleidographer
« Reply #77 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 18:58:09 »
I second this! A smaller option to maybe just get 1u mods or blanks would also be very nice
Thirded! I use 6x 1U space keys on my matrix board. I'm not 100% in yet, so I won't make any wild demands, but the availability of 1U space keys (concave would be fine, but convex would be very interesting if available) would definitely tip me towards joining.

Offline hormbre

« Reply #78 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 19:26:47 »

Thirded! I use 6x 1U space keys on my matrix board. I'm not 100% in yet, so I won't make any wild demands, but the availability of 1U space keys (concave would be fine, but convex would be very interesting if available) would definitely tip me towards joining.

We have got your suggestion. As the planck kit will be added, which is made up by several 1u keycaps, We wonder:
1. Is it still necessary to add 1u blank keys?
2.What are they going to be used & how many should be added ?

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: [IC] XDA Melon ( updated on Jul 3rd )
« Reply #79 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 22:05:00 »
On 75 and 65% boards the 1u would be right control, alt, win or function. 3 needed. On hhkb they'd be alt, or perhaps win/os. 2 needed.
keyboards.

Offline hormbre

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 11:43:04 »
Done : )

172465-0
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 July 2017, 22:13:52 by hormbre »

Offline Hazzula

« Reply #81 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 12:58:24 »
Yeeeeees. You are awesome hormbre. Can't lie though, i've been refreshing this to see that planck kit since you announced that it was coming :))

Offline hormbre

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 21:42:46 »
Yeeeeees. You are awesome hormbre. Can't lie though, i've been refreshing this to see that planck kit since you announced that it was coming :))

Sorry , we are busy redesigning novelties at present. The planck kit will be added as soon as the new novelties kit is finished , and I will send you PM then .
Thanks for your support : )

Offline hormbre

« Reply #83 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 02:01:14 »
UPDATED ON Jul 6th : 1.Spacebars kit has been extended as suggested.      Thank you for your support!

« Last Edit: Thu, 06 July 2017, 03:59:29 by hormbre »

Offline Hazzula

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 02:11:56 »

2.new Novelties kit
(Attachment Link)

This gets my vote. I had no idea that the elvish was even elvish :)) The novelties make more sense to me now :thumb:

Offline hormbre

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 02:17:35 »
This gets my vote. I had no idea that the elvish was even elvish :)) The novelties make more sense to me now :thumb:

Sorry to hear that... Since we just add this elvish one as someone suggested , which is almost out of our standing, would you please suggest a elvish font for this elvish "mellon" Enter key cap ?
Thank you !

Offline Hazzula

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 02:46:27 »

Sorry to hear that... Since we just add this elvish one as someone suggested , which is almost out of our standing, would you please suggest a elvish font for this elvish "mellon" Enter key cap ?
Thank you !
Oh no, i mean that i like it better now. The old font was the one i didnt understand :D

Offline Bob

• Kaleidographer
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 16:51:15 »

Thank you !

It's awesome that you're so willing to take on all suggestions, but I just don't get this one. A novelty in elvish that says melon? What? I'm not seeing the connection between melons and Lord of the Rings.

On the topic of not understanding the novelties... what's up with that temple?

I've just realised something else... if this is XDA, unless they've confirmed they can do inverse dye-sub for you, the dark green keys with beige font and the dark orange keys with light green font aren't possible.

Offline hormbre

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 21:06:31 »

It's awesome that you're so willing to take on all suggestions, but I just don't get this one. A novelty in elvish that says melon? What? I'm not seeing the connection between melons and Lord of the Rings.

It is a connection between "melon" and "mellon",which means "friend" in Elvish. You can see the sugguestion proposed from here.

I've just realised something else... if this is XDA, unless they've confirmed they can do inverse dye-sub for you, the dark green keys with beige font and the dark orange keys with light green font aren't possible.
Completely agree with you . We will check with manufaturer next week, and nothing more will be updated until they are capable to produce .

Thank you very much !
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 July 2017, 21:08:05 by hormbre »

Offline Bob

• Kaleidographer
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 23:26:38 »

It is a connection between "melon" and "mellon",which means "friend" in Elvish. You can see the sugguestion proposed from here.

Completely agree with you . We will check with manufaturer next week, and nothing more will be updated until they are capable to produce .

Thank you very much !

Oh thanks for clearing that up. That topic also gave a good background on the other novelties like the temple key representing Loulan, but then isn't Loulan quite far from Hami? My geography for China isn't good, but they look so far apart - about 500km. Is this something that's visible from Hami, or are the melons grown throughout the whole province... including the ghost city? :-[

As for the Elvish: even the guy who suggested it sounds like he wasn't sure if it was a good idea. You'd be better off writing the name for the melon in it's traditional Chinese for the theme of the set. Like I said before, it's great that you're so willing to take on many suggestions, but you should also make sure you're following through with a clear theme.

I'm not very skilled with graphic design, but I was thinking melon slices would be a nice recognisable novelty for the set, such as:

https://thumb1.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/4391968/441633310/stock-vector-melon-icon-441633310.jpg
https://thumb1.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/3352421/332306048/stock-vector-fruits-melon-icon-332306048.jpg (the slice and the whole melon done separately of course)

Offline hormbre

« Reply #90 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 04:13:47 »
Oh thanks for clearing that up. That topic also gave a good background on the other novelties like the temple key representing Loulan, but then isn't Loulan quite far from Hami? My geography for China isn't good, but they look so far apart - about 500km. Is this something that's visible from Hami, or are the melons grown throughout the whole province... including the ghost city? :-[
1.Hami melon is produced from Shanshan ( 鄯善 in Chinese ), which is called Loulan(楼兰 in Chinese) kindom before. Here is the history of Shanshan in Chinese.

As for the Elvish: even the guy who suggested it sounds like he wasn't sure if it was a good idea. You'd be better off writing the name for the melon in it's traditional Chinese for the theme of the set. Like I said before, it's great that you're so willing to take on many suggestions, but you should also make sure you're following through with a clear theme.
2.We appriciate your sugguestion, we choose elvish mellon as novelty because it is really a cool idea . We may change the novelty from 1.25u to 2.25u Enter key as a special & independent one.

172599-0

I'm not very skilled with graphic design, but I was thinking melon slices would be a nice recognisable novelty for the set, such as:
https://thumb1.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/4391968/441633310/stock-vector-melon-icon-441633310.jpg
https://thumb1.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/3352421/332306048/stock-vector-fruits-melon-icon-332306048.jpg (the slice and the whole melon done separately of course)
3.Wow, you must have spent a lot of time on our melon , awesome thanks ! In fact ,we have indeed thought about the slice of melon , and have a design as below:

172601-1

« Last Edit: Sat, 08 July 2017, 22:24:12 by hormbre »

Offline Muiju

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 14:26:47 »
1.Hami melon is produced from Shanshan ( 鄯善 in Chinese ), which is called Loulan kindom before. Here is the history of Shanshan in Chinese.

2.We appriciate your sugguestion, we choose elvish mellon as novelty because it is really a cool idea . We may change the novelty from 1.25u to 2.25u Enter key as a special & independent one.

(Attachment Link)

3.Wow, you must have spent a lot of time on our melon , awesome thanks ! In fact ,we have indeed thought about the slice of melon , and have a design as below:

(Attachment Link)

The melon looks adorable!
its yo girl

LZ CLSm | mech27v2 | DC60 | E7-V1 |  x1.1

lubed filmed Tealios <3

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: [IC] XDA Melon ( updated on Jul 6th )
« Reply #92 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 17:51:10 »
Assuming dye sub artisans, you might consider smoothing the edges of the melon otherwise they might look fuzzy.
keyboards.

Offline hormbre

Updated on Jul 17th : Communicated with XDA manufacturer: 1. Use five-side dye sublimation for light color legends keycaps & colorful legends keycaps. 2.Samples will be provided on August,  before Group buy starts. 3. Novelties kit optimized to be more systematic; Spacebar kit extended; Ortho/Planck kit added.    Thank you !
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 July 2017, 23:55:29 by hormbre »

Offline Hazzula

Yaaaaaas finally that planck kit!!! You the man hormbre. Thanks for giving us a heads up for the GB date. Gives me time to save :))

Offline darwinmclovin

• Crivens!
 Aww, I'll be flying on the 3rd and 4th! Hope to join the GB from mobile...Now I am in the mood for winter melon soup  :D
“We play and are played and the best we can hope for is to do it with style.” Sir Terry Pratchett -GNU STP -

👊🐔👍

Offline colgateam

Just one thing of concern is that the XDA milestone I received, the dying of white caps to produced the coloured ones ended up very washed out.

Would be good to make sure they are using an effective dying system or ideally using coloured plastic as a base.

Offline hormbre

Just one thing of concern is that the XDA milestone I received, the dying of white caps to produced the coloured ones ended up very washed out.

Would be good to make sure they are using an effective dying system or ideally using coloured plastic as a base.

That is what we also concern, as a result , we have made an agreement with manufacturer to provide some sample keys which have light color legends or colorful legends before GB starts.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
I was also disappointed with how milestone rgb caps came out, but I suspect their dyesub process will work out better for this set. I believe they are perfecting their process for the mito canvas set since mito wouldn't stand for poor legends and consistency. The color matching and new legends look good for dyesub. The colors for melon are also not very bright aside from the green accents, just like canvas, but unlike milestone which was intended to be saturated rgb. I was also least displeased with the green caps from milestone anyway so that bodes well.
keyboards.

Offline heliar_mk

ergo kit please ;D