Author Topic: What Should I Try Next?  (Read 5172 times)

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
What Should I Try Next?
« on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 18:31:07 »
I recently purchase a CCnG set, which is my first key caps set from Signature Plastics and I have to admit that I wasn't blown away. The two boards I have both have OEM profiles and after switching back to them on my Pure this afternoon, I notice a remarkable difference.

What I Didn't Like
1. They felt thin
2. They sounded much higher in pitch when typing
3. The spacebar was awful and only flipping it around made it functional
4. Several keys began sticking

What I Did Like
1. The color. That set is freakin' gorgeous!

2. The double shots
The stock keys on both of my new keyboards are for backlighting, so they have a translucent element. If you don't have the backlighting turned on, you can't read the keys. I suppose at some point I'll evolve to Otaku, but at this point I'm still getting oriented to the 60% layout and I use the function layer too much.

So What's Next?
Looking at the Key Cap Manufacturers & Vendors, there aren't a ton of options. Here's what I've come up with thus far:

1. Order the new GMK Double-Shots from The Originative
Not really digging the color choices, but I ordered a Red ESC just to get a slight feel and to see just how thick the keycaps are.

2. Try some PBT OEM Profiles from Mechanical Keyboards
I know I like the profile, but I might like PBT better. However, I'm looking to get a Poker soon and it might come with PBTs and thus save me the extra cost of a whole new set of caps.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Re: What Should I Try Next?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 18:33:56 »
Try  Imsto pbts and the originative sets. You're not allowed to dislike white+beige :P
I love the look of cherry doubleshots but i don't like the feel once they're worn down. PBT feels divine.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 18:47:16 »
Try  Imsto pbts and the originative sets. You're not allowed to dislike white+beige :P
I love the look of cherry doubleshots but i don't like the feel once they're worn down. PBT feels divine.

Digging through IMSTO's vendor thread now. Should I go Cherry or OEM profile?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 18:49:36 »
personal preference.. but i prefer Cherry profile as do quite a few other members.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 18:51:57 »

Digging through IMSTO's vendor thread now. Should I go Cherry or OEM profile?

Cherry profile is what SP tries to mimic right?

I like the lower profile as opposed to the OEM one. The stock Filco ninja caps are a bit high. I like the profile on my Valentine's set better.

Also try side printed abs caps, I really like how my Filco Ninja caps feel. They're a bit smoother than the ABS doubleshots. A little different from the slightly sandy rough PBT texture.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 20:23:58 »
I don't like how close in height the spacebar is to the next row with Cherry profile.  Sometimes I try to press something like 'c' and hit the spacebar too.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 11:33:34 »
TL;DR
Please recommend an ANSI Cherry keyboard that I might find on eBay, or in the classifieds.

Since my original post, I've tried a couple of OEM Profile PBT sets and I've added a new board with MX-Blacks, which of course has stiffer springs than my MX-Blue boards. Between the different switches and the different key caps, I thought I'd post my thoughts on the experience thus far and then of course ask for your input and opinion on what to try next.

I Prefer ABS
I ordered the Black on Black PBT set from Techkeys.us given the fact that it was such a great price. Unfortunately, I found the near Otaku style keys a bit difficult to use. I have no issues with the alpha keys, but since these were used on my KBT Pure and KBC Poker, the fn layer was a challenge. Thankfully, I was lucky enough to get my hands on a set of Grey on White PBT Poker Set, which allowed me to see the legends and more importantly the fn layer.

Unfortunately, I discovered was that although I didn't hate the PBT feel, I do have a preference for the smooth feel of ABS. The KBT Pure has laser etched ABS caps and the KBC Poker has pad printed ABS and on both boards, I found I preferred the smooth feel when I switched back to the default caps on each board.

SP Not Bad On Stronger Springs
What started this thread was that I found that I was not a fan of the Signature Plastics CCnG set I purchased. I found them too thin and higher pitched than the default key caps. After I purchased my Poker, hoshidishi suggested I throw my CCnG on the board, so I did. Surprisingly, I actually liked them!

The MX-Black springs are much stronger obviously and what I found was that I don't bottom out the keys as much as I do on my boards with MX-Blues. Even if I do bottom out, it's only just slightly, so the audio issues I experienced was much less pronouced. I also enjoyed the shorter throw. Given that so many GBs are from SP, I was very happy to find that I could still use them on some of my boards!

So What's Next?
With the exception of the CCnG set, the majority of my typing has been on OEM profile key caps, so I feel that the next step should be to venture out and try a different profile. Cherry seems like the next logical step.

Purchasing a GMK set from The Originative is one obvious choice. The price is not bad and they're supposedly made from the original Cherry equipment, so it's certianly an option. However, I've spent w a y too much money in the past few months and with a couple of GBs still on the horizon, I'd like to find a lesser expensive option.

Which naturally led me to consider looking for an older Cherry keyboard for the purpose of harvesting the key caps. The question is, which one?

What Cherry Model Do You Recommend?
Since getting back into mechanical keyboards back in December of last year, my focus as been on compact keyboards. It's my preferred footprint. I have little or no knowledge of the Cherry model keyboards, so if you have a suggestion, please share it. My only goal/requirements are:

1. Cherry MX with Cherry Profile
   2. ANSI Layout
   3. ABS (preferred, but not required)

Granted, I'm still a newb here, so if you think the idea of finding a vintage keyboard to be a bad idea and have another suggestion, I'm all ears.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 11:43:15 »
G80-1838HPU browns with doubelshots would be a good choice as 1800 is the most compact G80 after the hard to get/expensive 5000. You can grab one from Ambry. I got mine from them and it was like new.
If that is too much for you still, and you are not really particuarly interested in the entire keyboard then looking for G81-somethingH*U/H**US may be a better proposition for you.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 March 2013, 11:46:46 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 14:26:15 »
G80-1838HPU browns with doubelshots would be a good choice as 1800 is the most compact G80 after the hard to get/expensive 5000. You can grab one from Ambry. I got mine from them and it was like new.
If that is too much for you still, and you are not really particuarly interested in the entire keyboard then looking for G81-somethingH*U/H**US may be a better proposition for you.

FYI I know of 1 person who ordered from ambry in 2013 and did not get the G80-1838HPU but a different Compaq rack keyboard which was rubber dome crap. Ambry took it back, but apparently don't have anymore of these. at least that is what I was told from the person who attempted to order one
----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 14:33:04 »
Mashby, my Switch Try bag has some Cherry Doubleshots that you can try out at the Mid South meet.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 14:38:40 »
I'd go for a Cherry DS set. They are for sure my favorite set out of all of the ones I've tried. However I will give SP some credit, I've only tried a few of there dye subs (like the nyan cat) but I'm fairly positive that I'd love a set of those as well

These are the full sets I've tried:
SP DS sets
KBC thin PBT
OEM ABS
Cherry DS

And I do have 2 sets of Imsto thick PBTs in the mail that I haven't tried yet
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 14:40:07 »
Hmn, site still list stock. I guess better email/call first and see. Sorry if hopes were raised if they have none. I hate it when places don't deactivate/remove items they no longer have.

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 14:43:00 »
----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 16:31:42 »
Thank you for all the feedback guys!

@Ivanivanovich -- I'm looking to spend less than $120, so you were right in offering me other solutions other than Ambry.

@inlikeflynn -- In looking through your posts and all your pictures, I'm kinda falling in love with the 1800 series. I can see why you like them so much. However, I'm more after the key caps than the board, so I'll keep my eyes peeled for something inexpensive.

@CPTBadAss -- If I don't find something before then, I'll definitely give your Switch Sample bag a try. Unfortunately, trying just a switch or two doesn't really give me enough information to go on. I find that I have to type on the keys for a good day, or so to really "kick the tires", but thank you though!

@The_Beast -- my thoughts exactly. Cherry DS seem to be quite popular, so I figure there must be a good reason. I've tried all the ones on your list, except the Cherry DS, so it's the next logical choice.

Again, thanks everyone for the feedback and keep it coming!

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 18:52:38 »
OK, I just bought a Cherry MY7000 HPBUS-2 off eBay this evening. Keys look to be in decent shape, but I'll know more once i have it in my hands.  :cool:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 19:14:01 »
OK, I just bought a Cherry MY7000 HPBUS-2 off eBay this evening. Keys look to be in decent shape, but I'll know more once i have it in my hands.  :cool:

Are those going to fit your MX boards? Don't they have MY switches?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 19:21:58 »
I think someone was looking to sell a Dolch keyboard without caps? I'll see if I can find the post.

Edit: It was AKIMbO looking for a price check, here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=31779.msg821915#msg821915
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
What Should I Try Next?
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 22:03:41 »
Are those going to fit your MX boards? Don't they have MY switches?

I don't believe so., but I'm new to Cherry, so I might be confused. :-p

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
What Should I Try Next?
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 22:04:24 »
I think someone was looking to sell a Dolch keyboard without caps? I'll see if I can find the post.

Edit: It was AKIMbO looking for a price check, here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=31779.msg821915#msg821915

Thanks, but I need the caps more than the board. :-(

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
What Should I Try Next?
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 22:31:55 »
That MY7000 does use Cherry MY switches, which feel like typing on wet newspapers. However, the keycaps are also compatible with MX stems. You're going to love Cherry double shot ABS. They really are the best feeling keycaps made.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: Re: What Should I Try Next?
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 22:36:23 »
That MY7000 does use Cherry MY switches, which feel like typing on wet newspapers. However, the keycaps are also compatible with MX stems. You're going to love Cherry double shot ABS. They really are the best feeling keycaps made.
I use my MY set on my Phantom. Took a while to find some 1.5 mods but it was well worth it. Plus you get nice little Control, Although, Windows, and a Meta key with the MY 7000.

Offline Sai

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 22:45:42 »

yep. they give the best feeling and i don't even touch my other caps anymore.   :p
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 23:45:14 »

too bad I wasn't online earlier to respond to your PM's, as i'm going to try and stop in there (OceanTech) either tomorrow or Monday to look at some other things they have and was already thinking about grabbing a few more of these.
We picked through them all last November and got the best of them, but if you ask them nicely, they might spend the time to try and find you a better one. There are still plenty of ok ones there, but also even more ****ty ones and twice as many Lasered ones
----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 15 March 2013, 08:54:51 »
OK, so they are MY switches, but the key caps work on MX. *whew*  :confused: Looks like I'll get the board on Monday, so we'll know for sure then.

@innlikeflynn -- I contacted them asking for a clean board. Thanks for the suggestion. Also, I'm very interested in what you find and would be down for beige set and perhaps even a cleaner white on black if my set turns out to be junky.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 15 March 2013, 09:10:05 »
Also, if you're looking to get some 1.5 mods, I may have a lead. They're lasered, but Cherry profile etc. Still look like they're white on black.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 15 March 2013, 09:19:28 »
Plus you get nice little Control, Although, Windows, and a Meta key with the MY 7000.
That isn't what Alt is the abbreviation of...

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 15 March 2013, 09:23:27 »
Autocorrect?

in memoriam

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 15 March 2013, 09:24:37 »
Autocorrect?
Ha, that's what I figured. Just thought I'd poke some fun at ol' LittleThincutpotatostrip

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 15 March 2013, 09:26:01 »
Autocorrect?
Ha, that's what I figured. Just thought I'd poke some fun at ol' LittleThincutpotatostrip

you mean tinyketchupshovel?
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 15 March 2013, 09:27:41 »
If you want 1.5 mod there is this. There are also a few 1800HBU for $80 price but with best offer on ebay.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 15 March 2013, 09:29:57 »
Autocorrect?

you mean tinyketchupshovel?
For our Canadian friends, MicroscopicGravyandcheeseholder.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 15 March 2013, 09:43:41 »
Also, if you're looking to get some 1.5 mods, I may have a lead. They're lasered, but Cherry profile etc. Still look like they're white on black.

PM'd.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 00:44:43 »
It was an auto correct... damn you guys! :P