Author Topic: Ergodox cases, in layered metal (litster-like)  (Read 3907 times)

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
Ergodox cases, in layered metal (litster-like)
« on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 18:10:35 »
So, I've re-upped the quotes, and not surprising, the costs have gone up...

I'm at work so I can't say a whole lot but here's the short version:

assuming CONUS, stainless steel cases in 1/16th inch ("sixteen gauge") shipped, would be $80

same ten pieces in 6061 aluminum, $52.

You'd need spacers of some variety; JDcarpe graciously provided a classic-shaped spacer used by others successfully; they're nine-and-a-quarter per copy in SS, or just over four and a half in aluminum. Eight copies per kit should be enough, so:

$76.50 in stainless, $38.25 in aluminum

Those numbers include paypal cut but in the case of spacers, not shipping because it'll fit in with the case you get.

Full-Hand is available too ...  $86 shipped conus, SS - no - spacers (remember they're shaped for classic) or $56 aluminum.

I have numbers for the minimalists versions and will post again later -- that will probably be sunday or monday.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Data

Re: Ergodox cases, in layered metal (litster-like)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 20:18:44 »
Put me down for a full set in SS.

Did they even try to explain the price increase?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 20:45:30 »
Still pretty cheap for all those layers.

I built an ErgoDox that's fully enclosed with the spacer layers, and it's a great build. I might need to modify the spacer layer drawing just a bit, because if you use two spacers between the switch later and the top layer, one keycap runs into the plate where the screw hole is, although it's not a huge problem. You definitely can't use three spacers there, though.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline persuasionlaser

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 16:12:37 »
Oh my god yes, I've been waiting for this day.

I bought a 5 piece SS set of Malamute's last groupbuy. Honestly I don't know what I was thinking because it's the ugly duckling of all the sets. Not enough layers for a full case, but not minimalist either.

I will totally buy a full set of aluminum, and if I could somehow replace the missing SS layers so I have everything that would be even better.

Also, this is a ****ing fantastic deal everyone, well worth the money if you want a solid case for your dox, and still cheaper than the acrylic cases on mechanicalkeyboards.
****ing amazing, I love you man.

Offline Noctane1

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 03:53:36 »
Interested in 10 piece alu!

Offline nerdhack

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 15:45:54 »
I'm interested in aluminium full set!

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
Ergodox in less metal
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 15:56:52 »
 Okay now that I have a minute ... Minimalist cases are, cost to me, 38% of a full case, and extended minimalist cases are 56% of the full thing. Full hand is still 10% more than classic, so presumably that continues for the extended and plain minimalist cases. So, minimalist roughly $28/$43, ext-mini, $35/57 I think...

I may have over-guessed PP's cut, above, but that would be a matter of a few pennies not a whole dollar.

Due warning, I had troubles getting stainless steel out anywhere near my stated shipping cost last time. So, we'll have to assume the medium flat-rate box within the states, which is 12.35 plus something for packaging materials (which as some of you noticed was yesterday's newspaper; fine for CONUS flat-rate not so nice for int'l because of the density of paper products. At least it was more recyclable than packing peanuts).

International, I have a few routes. If it crosses 4lbs (including box & peanuts (which are hard to find so I reuse bubble wrap) and metal) then the flat-rate 20-lbs-or-less box is still cheaper, but often $60USD or for most of Europe, $67+. But under that limit, use-your-own-box is often around $25, but still $30-ish to Europe (and not Australia don't ask me I'm not a postal worker but anyway) two full classic cases, in aluminum, will come uncomfortably close to that line; A full hand aluminum case with a 9-copy spacer kit is usually less than that. Two cases with one or more spacer kits will cross it.

Sometimes I can ad-lib, in the form of chintzy packaging. Peanuts, if I find them ... flimsy envelopes were used once, and I hear it all arrived still within the packaging. But do you really want slabs of metal tied together with breadbag twistties in a plain envelope crossing the pond and being manhandled by your postal workers over there who are mad they can barely read the CN22 form let alone the address? ...up to you, my friend.

The way shipping over here works, if I call it a parcel I automatically get a tracking number. Now, last run when I was taking 4 boxes to the post office every day and entering tracking at home, near midnight before I went to bed, I'd mis-enter some numbers and I got a couple panicked PMs that the tracking number they had (following the link in their Paypal email notification) said it was going to the wrong city ... but if you log into paypal and track it, I'd corrected the number by then. Due warning, I mis-enter stuff sometimes but I think everything has gotten to where it was going -- even Witbliz, whose address looks nothing like what our poor overworked mail delivery folks here are used to seeing or entering into their PCs.

Okay enough of me yapping, how interested are you folks at getting this metal ergodox case...? (yes, I've a question in about 3/16ths spacer but haven't heard back. likely the whole kit will be roughly as expensive, but fewer pieces, as what I've quoted above). I think if we get 10 case orders, it's worth making a group by, and I'm pretty sure we're about half way there now....

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Data

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 16:16:09 »
Send me your address when you get close to shipping and I'll send you a big bag of peanuts to support the cause.

Offline jameslr

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 20:28:21 »
I'm a little confused as to what is required for an ergodox case. Is there a "total price" somewhere given all options? Do I need spacers? What exactly are they? Are these costs "per hand" or for a complete edox case? At first glance it seemed really reasonable at $52 for the aluminum version, but I'm wondering if the "spacers" are required at an additional $38. So that would bring the total to $90 and some change plus shipping, correct? Let me see if I understood it correctly:

Case layers minus spacers (5 per side):

Stainless: $80
Aluminum: $52

Spacers (Required. these go in between the layers I guess?):

Stainless: 8x$9.25=$74
Aluminum: 8x$4.50ish=$36

Full Stainless case cost: $80+$74 = $154.00+PP Fees+Packaging
Full Aluminum case cost: $52+$36 = $88+PP Fees+Packaging

Edit: I just saw the original case quote included shipping in the price so there would be no additional shipping.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 September 2014, 20:35:36 by jameslr »
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline Shiftshape

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 02:52:26 »
All of my yes! Really keen for 6061 aluminum, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want both...

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 11:31:05 »
I'm a little confused as to what is required for an ergodox case. Is there a "total price" somewhere given all options? Do I need spacers? What exactly are they? Are these costs "per hand" or for a complete edox case?

All good questions.

spacers are required, these spacers are not ... some have used extra M3 nuts dispersed throughout each M3 bolt, instead. Or you could hit MKawa up for some sorthobane and then Xacto it to shape. As with all DIY projects on here, it's all about personal preference.

In the first [gb] thread, JD posted on page one or two, just after "a small round one" was nearly done, a .dxf that had the outline of the classic case, but not much else. I've attached a .png which is more visible to more folks, but you're welcome to the .dxf too if you want to have it cut from acrylic locally or something silly like that.

I never assume anybody here would want just one side, unless they tell me otherwise. I've included PP in my quotes, and shipping with the case quotes specifically; multiple cases would save on shipping. So $90 would see a full block of aluminum in your hands; enough for a solid hunk of metal-ergodox-case. $154 in stainless, same; that would see the whole case in your hands (assuming "you" are in the states).

I'll update this thread later when I get a chance with what pictures I have of my case, but since my "TRRS" connector is an off-PCB RJ45 jack I was able to use half as many spacers.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline jameslr

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 11:49:10 »
Awesome - thanks for clarifying. Honestly I felt a little dense while reading it. Like there were so many things that one should understand already, and it just wasn't making sense to me. You've totally cleared that up now. :)
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 13:39:47 »
I may not be around a computer for very much of this weekend, but sometime Sunday or Monday I'll re-do the google form, and create a [GB] thread.

Historically I've just left the form open about two weeks -- that's as much for my sanity as anything else, but also I want to get this going, as well as over with for all of you.

A couple of folks have PM'd me about the last time, and I'll PM them that the GB is live when I make it so... See my old thread for pictures but I'll put some links into the new thread too.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 18:04:30 »
I may not be around a computer for very much of this weekend, but sometime Sunday or Monday I'll re-do the google form, and create a [GB] thread.

Edited the form for accuracy, misnamed some things, deleted the bad extras ... and one of them was the good form.

I'll get this going this evening. In fact:

should be live any moment now.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 September 2014, 23:54:14 by AKmalamute »

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user