Author Topic: How do you guys positioned your keyboard?  (Read 5758 times)

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
How do you guys positioned your keyboard?
« on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 20:27:40 »
Heyho!
I'm no full size lover but recently I got my Leeku 3000 and fallin in love with the look
Though I'm having stuff positioning the full size,

A) alphas are located ergonomically with the length of your shoulder, but it left my right arm stretch too far to the right to get the mouse

B) Keyboard symetrical to the monitor, this is by far my choice since I can't stand unsymetricall stuff. No problem with the left hand but right hand need to be pushed to the left by bit when typing

C) Keyboard pushed to the left for mouse space. This option really make's me feel comfortable when using the mouse, but hell when typing

verdict?
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Re: How do you guys positioned your keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 20:37:15 »
I usually like to keep the alpha block centered on my monitor.  But with my keyboard set into my keyboard tray and a second monitor to the left of my main, I am kind of locked in with the keyboard slightly to the left of the main right now.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 20:49:37 »
Try to bring the keyboard in relatively close to your torso, and keep your upper arms hanging loosely down at your sides. If you’re reaching your arms out with your elbows sticking forward (as will be necessary with the keyboard placed as it is in your picture) or sideways, you’ll put a lot of extra strain on your upper arms, shoulders, and back. Make sure your chair is high enough relative to your desk so you can sit upright with your back straight and keep your elbows at a 90°+ angle, and, most importantly, try to keep your wrists in as straight and neutral a position as possible.

Unrelated: photobucket is a terrible image host, and stuff disappears from there all the time. I recommend imgur as an alternative.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 July 2015, 20:52:30 by jacobolus »

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 21:02:43 »
I've a lot to learn since I've a pretty bad back situation
Even changed my (lovely) chair for something more ergonomic, hard and straight a couple of days ago :(
it seems that the height of the chair really make a difference

Most of the time my elbow rest on the table since I've a big desk
and most of the time I sit closely to the table which I'm not sure is a good idea or not resulting my keyboard position to be placed nearly in the middle of the table

bringing the keyboard closer might be a good idea

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 22:58:12 »
At this precise moment:

106988-0

And as I prepare to do some typing:

106990-1
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline trees

• I like bagels.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 23:31:43 »
Last time ill use my HHKB, and its time for some CS:GO.

B.Face HHKB - B.mini - Black/Purple Custom

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 23:39:59 »
Try to bring the keyboard in relatively close to your torso, and keep your upper arms hanging loosely down at your sides.

I tend to do the opposite, keeping my keyboard pushed pretty far back. This way my forearms rest on the table which naturally raises my hands a bit and eliminates the need to use wrist rests. But I also scoot pretty close to the desk so I'm not really reaching.

At this precise moment:

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Nice monitor riser!

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 00:01:17 »
Try to bring the keyboard in relatively close to your torso, and keep your upper arms hanging loosely down at your sides.

I tend to do the opposite, keeping my keyboard pushed pretty far back. This way my forearms rest on the table which naturally raises my hands a bit and eliminates the need to use wrist rests. But I also scoot pretty close to the desk so I'm not really reaching.

At this precise moment:

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Nice monitor riser!

It works :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline darkspider

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 01:20:50 »
I arrange peripherals how the main monitor, F-J midpoint, and my body is on the one line and use my mouse with my left hand while my dominant hand is right.
IBM Model F AT         Model M silver label    Model M gray label    Majestouch 2 Ninja

Brand New F62 Kishsaver / F77 Industrial Model F's made this year

Offline darkspider

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 01:22:13 »
My workspace.
IBM Model F AT         Model M silver label    Model M gray label    Majestouch 2 Ninja

Brand New F62 Kishsaver / F77 Industrial Model F's made this year

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 01:24:26 »
Heh it's going to be a thing to post pictures of your setup showing the OP images on the screen :))

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 02:37:19 »
At this precise moment:

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Lol this is like "trying to find the difference"
I can see it only moved an inch to the right... interesting

you keyboard is still sideways like that when you type?

Last time ill use my HHKB, and its time for some CS:GO.

Show Image

I do the same when I play CS GO :D

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 04:35:28 »
There are many variables (including overall posture and typing technique) and I won't show my setup here, because it's, well, kinda unique.

When I'm using a staggered keyboard, it's positioned so that my body and forearms and the keyboard form a rectangle, when I put my left hand on ASDF and right hand on the tenkeyless navigation cluster; thus the right hand comes at ~60-degree angle, when typing. My forearms are essentially like this: |_\

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 05:33:04 »
At this precise moment:

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Lol this is like "trying to find the difference"
I can see it only moved an inch to the right... interesting

you keyboard is still sideways like that when you type?

And at slightly less of an angle, yes, plus the mouse is moved further out of the way when I'm just typing (stupid keyboard platform thing - it goes up and down, except I keep it up all the time and there's that little gap between it and the main desk that stops the mouse from working consistently.

Looking at my HHKB at home now and it is angled slightly as the Ducky is in those pics.  Must be something I do all the time.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 07:37:34 »
I use 60% and smaller exclusively. I move it a little depending on how much I'll be using the mouse.

If I know I'll be predominantly typing / using keyboard to navigate I keep it just right of centre so GH is in the middle of my display. If I'm using more mouse I keep it just left of centre.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 09:09:14 »
So all in all, we all move our kids yboard constantly gor different usage?

I thought I was weird by keep positioning my keyboard. Nice to know

Offline MajorMajor

• Mechanical Keyboard Enthusiast
    • Coding Supply
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 16:39:11 »
Slightly tilted at an angle with the numpad a bit higher than the other side of the keyboard. Feels more comfortable.
TKL / Clears / Dvorak / Flipped Space for Life / Best Programming Keyboards

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 18:06:05 »
Like 'C'. The right hand and arm are oriented in line with the key columns - on the diagonal, while the left hand is more straight on.

Three inches of desk in front of the keyboard - for resting my wrists.

Offline eternalmetal

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 01 August 2015, 13:04:50 »
I position my keyboard slightly to the left of my main (right) monitor in a dual monitor setup, and then situate the trackball immediately to the right of my keyboard.   I have wide shoulders, so I find that the TKL size is ideal ergonomically for my mouse hand.   Before owning a TKL, I never fully realized how inconvenient it was to position a full sized keyboard in front of me and use my mouse at the same time.  I had to use a computer with a full size keyboard last night, and found that I just could not find a position that was comfortable.  Either the mouse was way to the right, or they keyboard to the left.  If I didnt use a trackball, I could see the appeal in a 60% keyboard, but it would be hard to adjust to not having the arrow keys, page up/down, delete, etc since I use those keys frequently when browsing the net.