Author Topic: Kailh Bronze Speed Switch - How it Works  (Read 6845 times)

Offline flashquark

• Flashquark.com | Mech Key Depot
Kailh Bronze Speed Switch - How it Works
« on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 11:34:49 »
I made a short video showing what the new Kailh Bronze speed switches sound like compared to normal clicky switches. (Turn up your sound for best results!)
In addition, I also took apart one of the switches to show how the clicky sound is made.

I know that previously Kailh has not had the best rep due to quality control issues, but I really think they are trying to step up their game. Although I forgot to demonstrate it in the video, all four new Kailh speed switches have noticably less wobble compared to Gaterons.

I also now have the speed switches in stock in my store:

https://flashquark.com/product/kailh-speed-switch/

One thing however: After making the video, I was looking more closely at the switch and I realized that I need to take back what I said earlier. In the video I mentioned that it is a clicky linear. I called it that because that is what several initial reviewers referred to it as.

However, there is definitely a bump on the metal leaf. I overlooked it initially because the click and the tactile bump happen at around the same time which makes it feel like it is the click mechanism that causes the tactile feedback. Technically speaking the stem touches the click mechanism first, the mechanism continues bending down for a part of the keypress, and then it springs back up at around the same time the stem rides over the bump.

A closer look at the switch opened up:

« Last Edit: Tue, 23 May 2017, 11:46:10 by flashquark »
https://flashquark.com | Keyboards, Keycaps, Switches, and other MK accessories.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: Kailh Bronze Speed Switch - How it Works
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 12:10:49 »
How would you describe the tactile coppers in comparison to say a zealio, MX clear, or mod switch in terms of feedback strength, location, etc.
keyboards.

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 12:16:26 »
How would you describe the tactile coppers in comparison to say a zealio, MX clear, or mod switch in terms of feedback strength, location, etc.

not OP but have experience in your question.

The coppers aren't bad, but I wouldn't really put them in the same conversation as zealios/mx clears and or mods from a tactility standpoint.

Their tactility isn't much more prominent than other brown variants and in fact maybe a little less than say gateron browns just because of the reduced travel. They do seem to be a bit more stable though and not incredibly wobbly like mods.

Basically IMO-

Tactility-
Mods > Zealios > Clears >> Speed Coppers
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline zslane

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 13:01:48 »
The coppers aren't bad, but I wouldn't really put them in the same conversation as zealios/mx clears and or mods from a tactility standpoint.

The tactile feel of Kailh Coppers is quite different than MX switches, I would agree with that. It is as if a magnet is introducing a bit of resistance as you press down, and then at the point of actuation, it just gives way completely and the switch feels linear the rest of the way down. It is rather subtle, but very smooth and pleasant. There is no click, nor is there that MX feeling of something kind of broken inside the switch, creating tactility through extra friction.

Offline flashquark

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 13:35:09 »
Yeah, Coppers definitely have a different tactile feel. Actually, to me it feels like a linear on the way down the keypress, and then there's a tactile bump on the way back up.

I think its due to the tactile bump occurring higher up compared to other tactile switches.
https://flashquark.com | Keyboards, Keycaps, Switches, and other MK accessories.

Offline E.E.L. Ambiense

• Acrylic Heretic
    • E.E.L. Ambiense Industries
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 20:30:09 »
Thanks for the video, man.  Really illuminating!
Case modder by trade; mech-deck'r for fun!

Offline flashquark

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 27 May 2017, 19:13:49 »
Yep! I'll also make videos for the other 3 speed switches when I get a chance.

Offline tjcertified

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 20 December 2018, 09:41:59 »
Hi,

Did you ever make those other videos? Also, thanks for this. I've been thinking about grabbing a Glorious GMMK, and I think this just sealed the deal.