Author Topic: Hello, I am naive to the world of custom keyboards  (Read 1877 times)

Offline Kitty Stark

• please be gentle
Hello, I am naive to the world of custom keyboards
« on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 12:27:26 »
Gosh it's been a hot minute since I've had to introduce myself on a web forum...

Hello! You can just call me Kitty, but if you're curious the Stark is in reference to Iron Man, and no I haven't watched Game of Thrones. I am married and live in USA (read: oo-suh) and I have lady-bits and enjoy creating traditional and digital art. I have ended up here after spiraling down a veritable rabbit-hole of clicky switches, artisan keycaps(?!), and strange new terminology such as "ortholinear" and "group buy". The fault is only on my own extremely particular tastes, as I have realized in this process that I am by no means savvy when it comes to discussing mechanical keyboards. However, I am currently seeking out a new one and have decided it's worth the effort to see how hard it really would be to get the exact keyboard I want, instead of settling for another Corsair or Logitech.

I'm still navigating and reading through things here, but keep an eye out for a long and over-detailed post in the near future that is a glorified plea for someone to offer me the golden ticket to getting the Perfect KeyboardTM that suits all of my pedantic desires. I will hold on to my optimism until at least 3 people have told me it's literally impossible and to just use the 20-year-old Dell membrane my grandfather probably has in a closet somewhere. :llama:

P.S. Does the whole "USB" verification thing go away once I prove I'm not a malicious troll or robot, or do I just have to answer that every time I post something?

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
Re: Hello, I am naive to the world of custom keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 13:14:16 »
Hello Kitty!

Welcome to the forum where wallets go to die :D

I feel you on the introduction point, I feel like I haven’t really engaged in forums actively for over a decade up until fairly recently. It’s a lovely bunch of people here though, so worry not!

Let me be the first to say that it is indeed near impossible (so chalk me up as one of your three voices on that) but it’s quite a fun journey finding that out, especially if you’re creative and like getting your hands dirty. I’ve gone through a fair number in just the last two years alone, from standard, to very small, to ortholinear, to split, and all the way back again. Once you get an idea of what you like, you’ll always be keeping your eye open and that’s half the fun. It helps that the community has a very active aftermarket too, hehe.

Rest assured, nobody will be telling you to go back to a Dell membrane.

To respond to your p.s - yes, the verification goes away after a number of posts, I believe, not very many at that.
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 13:22:05 »
Welcome :)

Which theme are you using on the forum?

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Kitty Stark

• please be gentle
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 21:47:06 »
It helps that the community has a very active aftermarket too, hehe.

To respond to your p.s - yes, the verification goes away after a number of posts, I believe, not very many at that.
What exactly is an aftermarket? It sounds like an exchange for gently used secondhand parts, but I'm afraid to assume anything while I'm so new to this community.

Welcome :)

Which theme are you using on the forum?
I'm not the biggest fan of fluorescent orange, so despite everything else I use being on dark mode I am using the Thoriated theme here, whose name intrigues me!
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 July 2020, 21:56:35 by Kitty Stark »

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 00:01:46 »
I'm not the biggest fan of fluorescent orange, so despite everything else I use being on dark mode I am using the Thoriated theme here, whose name intrigues me!

I'm also using that theme :cool:

The beige is timeless 😩✊

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 04:31:59 »
It helps that the community has a very active aftermarket too, hehe.

What exactly is an aftermarket? It sounds like an exchange for gently used secondhand parts, but I'm afraid to assume anything while I'm so new to this community.

Hehe, sorry if that sounded morally ambiguous. Yes, it means that people often buy more stuff than they actually use, so there's a lot of buying, selling, and trading going on :)

The beige is timeless 😩✊

It really is!

"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline Timothyphelp

• My Educational Leadership Model Essay
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 06:44:52 »
Hello sir!

Offline desipalen

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 12:12:15 »
This is definitely the place to get more familiar with the terminology and options.