Author Topic: [IC] OIL-68 (5/20/20 - CLOSED)  (Read 22736 times)

Offline Arezok

• Formerly pbplyr38
[IC] OIL-68 (5/20/20 - CLOSED)
« on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 19:19:50 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 May 2020, 19:53:00 by Arezok »

Offline shxWN

• Everything I do is visionary
Re: [IC] OIL-67
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 19:26:13 »
Looks absolutely gorgeous, one thing I don’t like is the separated escape but other than that nice job!
Kepler FC65 || Frog TKL || Whale75 || Sirius 60 ||

Offline andymer

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 19:37:51 »
Definitely interested! The Esc may be a dealbreaker for some but with all the dank 75s we've been seeing lately, I feel like this design sets the board apart quite nicely.

Offline 002 DC

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 19:42:42 »
Any renders with a USB port?? I think you might've ordered a prototype with no usb port based off the renders I am seeing!!!
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 March 2020, 19:53:59 by 002 DC »

Offline Aloyz0991

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 19:46:29 »
This looks sick. The accent plate looks amazing! Why the f hasnt anybody done this yet.

Offline Arezok

• Formerly pbplyr38
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 19:52:38 »
Any renders with a USB port??

Unfortunately not at the moment.  The PCB is still being developed but the intent is to have the USB port centered in the board. 

That's pretty high on my list though.

Looks absolutely gorgeous, one thing I don’t like is the separated escape but other than that nice job!

Definitely interested! The Esc may be a dealbreaker for some but with all the dank 75s we've been seeing lately, I feel like this design sets the board apart quite nicely.

We're pretty fond of the separated escape key, but we'll definitely consider changing that if there's enough pressure to do so.

Offline 002 DC

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 19:55:01 »
So did you order a proto with no usb port? (Your ic is implying you bought one proto without a usb port)

Offline Arezok

• Formerly pbplyr38
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 20:01:48 »
So did you order a proto with no usb port? (Your ic is implying you bought one proto without a usb port)

Yes, you are correct.  I can get the USB port machined at a local shop.  I needed to get a prototype in hand to determine what tolerances needed to be tweaked to ensure the upper case and the accent plate would fit together without leaving too much of a gap or being too difficult to assemble. 

Offline honoka

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 20:04:32 »
you seem very anxious when it comes to renders and usb ports.

OP, you do you. don't change the placement of the esc key. you intentionally put it there and it's unique

Offline 002 DC

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 20:06:27 »
"Yes, you are correct.  I can get the USB port machined at a local shop.  I needed to get a prototype in hand to determine what tolerances needed to be tweaked to ensure the upper case and the accent plate would fit together without leaving too much of a gap or being too difficult to assemble."

Just for future reference that isn't a good way to approach prototyping. If you're testing tolerances it really should be with a pcb, plate and many types of switches.

Offline 002 DC

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 20:09:51 »

OP, you do you. don't change the placement of the esc key. you intentionally put it there and it's unique

I'm only saying it's preferable to have one full proto at the start compared to waiting for a pcb. You could easily find an open source pcb and place a usb port step file to extrude a cutout

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 20:19:59 »
The design is lovely, I personally find the layout to be interesting too - only real "downside" for me is the fact that it obviously benefits from an accented plate (be it brass or coloured aluminium) and I massively favour plastic plates but other than that, great.

Offline bisoromi

• Formerly Duwang
  • owo
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 20:21:19 »
Wireless??
(credits to Kokaloo)

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 20:30:24 »
The accented borders look quite nice, want to see how to comes to be.

Sent from my SM-J415G using Tapatalk

Offline TalksToChalk

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 20:42:07 »
I’m in if the symbol is removed from the top right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Arezok

• Formerly pbplyr38
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 20:54:42 »

I'm only saying it's preferable to have one full proto at the start compared to waiting for a pcb. You could easily find an open source pcb and place a usb port step file to extrude a cutout

That's a fair point and I appreciate the input.  My thought was that it doesn't affect the construction of the board, so I didn't think it was a deal breaker to leave out at this point.  It's a little late now for the prototype, but that's a lesson learned.  I'll work on the model and update the renders this week.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 20:59:56 »
I'd love to see an exploded view and how things fit together.

Offline phabulous

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 21:20:58 »

That's a fair point and I appreciate the input.  My thought was that it doesn't affect the construction of the board, so I didn't think it was a deal breaker to leave out at this point.  It's a little late now for the prototype, but that's a lesson learned.  I'll work on the model and update the renders this week.

I dunno man, I prefer my ports not just to be a gaping hole you stick the cable in so I would imagine that a USB port properly designed would affect the construction of the board.

Offline Thighs

• Thighs#0100
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 21:57:40 »
i was going to get a sakura660, but man... this one is hot. will surely keep an eye on this one!

Offline Butterbeer

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 01:40:32 »
I can see a very good use for this board as a showpiece to show off artisan(s).

I usually don't like logos in functional space, but as a showpiece this would be amazing just to stare at and have on display.

Offline benfrain

• benfrain.com
[IC] OIL-67
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 03:19:00 »
Really like the key groupings. Aesthetically I always think they look odd but in use the physical differentiator is very useful.

Personally don’t like the logo there. Would rather have an extra key to allow for home/end/pg up/pg down.

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 04:55:15 »
Are the plate and key border the same piece of metal?

Offline danieljgrouse

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 05:56:26 »
I really love the design, accented borders are something I've been wishing we'd get more of for a while now. That said I feel like the logo in the upper right corner is bit too much and makes the whole thing feel way too busy and kinda unrefined. It clashes with the separated Esc key and detracts from it, which is a shame because that Esc gives the board so much character. Honestly I'd much prefer adding an additional key to the three key cluster instead of having the logo there (or just remove the logo). Either way I hope this makes it to a GB and is super successful because it's doing something new and interesting and we need more boards like that.

Offline apexshikari

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 06:16:20 »
This is one of the best looking boards I have seen especially in the default colour way. Hope this turns into a GB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 06:49:09 »
The ESC is unusual but I like it.  I agree with the separation of the arrows from the main board.  It is this for this reason that I keep using my CA66 over other boards.  I like your internal surround for the cut out.  Overall very nice and I would be interested.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline Arezok

• Formerly pbplyr38
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 14:26:22 »
The design is lovely, I personally find the layout to be interesting too - only real "downside" for me is the fact that it obviously benefits from an accented plate (be it brass or coloured aluminium) and I massively favour plastic plates but other than that, great.

The accent surrounding each group is actually separate from the switch plate.  So you could still use a plastic plate if you wanted.  I'll add that to the interest check form!

Wireless??

Unfortunately not. Sorry!

I dunno man, I prefer my ports not just to be a gaping hole you stick the cable in so I would imagine that a USB port properly designed would affect the construction of the board.

I understand the concern.  I can assure you it won't be treated as an afterthought.

i was going to get a sakura660, but man... this one is hot. will surely keep an eye on this one!

¿Por que no los?   :)  I'm glad you like it! 

I can see a very good use for this board as a showpiece to show off artisan(s).

I usually don't like logos in functional space, but as a showpiece this would be amazing just to stare at and have on display.

One of my coworkers saw me working on this during lunch and said the same thing! 

Really like the key groupings. Aesthetically I always think they look odd but in use the physical differentiator is very useful.

Personally don’t like the logo there. Would rather have an extra key to allow for home/end/pg up/pg down.

I'm glad to hear a lot of people like the accents around the keys.  I personally like the logo because it provides a symmetry to the offset Esc key, but I'd consider alternatives depending on the results of the interest check!

No, I separated the Switch plate from the key border (I call it the Accent Plate for lack of a better term).  This way the switch plate can be swapped out while maintaining the overall aesthetic provided by the border.

Offline cryworm

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 14:48:58 »
YIKES this looks really nice. I love the separated key clusters and the accent plate and even the separated ESC key. The only criticism I have is that the logo is kind of tacky looking to me, I'd rather have an extra key in that space.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 14:49:04 »

The accent surrounding each group is actually separate from the switch plate.  So you could still use a plastic plate if you wanted.  I'll add that to the interest check form!

Now that's fantastic news.

Offline batdog

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 16:47:00 »
Great concept, but don't like the logo, would be much better with a fourth key in the right vertical group.

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 03:12:02 »

No, I separated the Switch plate from the key border (I call it the Accent Plate for lack of a better term).  This way the switch plate can be swapped out while maintaining the overall aesthetic provided by the border.
That's great! I'm not keen on metal plates, so I'm glad it'll have the option to have different materials.

Any plans on specific layout support e.g. ISO? If you're not willing to have it in the default plate (which is totally fair enough), you can offer it in the PCB, and release plate files for people to get their own cut.  ;)

Offline Jof

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 15:24:10 »
I'm down with everything tbh. Looking forward to the IC!

Offline Cobertt

• Control on Caps
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 18:08:15 »
Since you've removed the `/~ is there any chance for a split backspace to make up for the lost key, that would be a good option to have I believe.
HHKB Pro2 | Mira SE | FJELL | KARA HAZE | CW88 FNF WKL Wine | HHKB Prophet | Tengu | Prototype CW60 HHKB Skunkworxxx | Prototype K80 | Tokyo60 | Gingko65Midway LEKei | Frog TKL | Saturn60

Offline sumbody

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 01:50:03 »
May I suggest looking into 7V or Chimera65 and use a similar blocker spacing?
I think the 0.25U spacing around arrow cluster leads to a cleaner look.

Logo advice:
I'm not opposed to the logo being there but I think a slightly smaller size will appear more tasteful rather than tacky

Looking forward to the GB if it goes through! I really love these Mini-1800 layouts as I'm a fan of the separated arrow cluster.
Gasket or burger mount will be a bonus!

Offline baobaozi

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 06:54:33 »
Looks very nice! I’d be interested  ;D

Not so much a fan of the pushed out Esc, but it’s not a deal-breaker for me.

As long as it’s QMK programmable so I can get my `~ back (extremely necessary for web developers) it looks great!

Offline child

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 14:27:24 »
While separated Esc looks like a slight functionality downgrade to me, it also gives this keyboard a unique character. I really like all those separate "regions" of keys and I'm a sucker for CA66-like layouts. Would most likely buy this one if it goes to GB phase.

Offline jayoliver

• Just another keeb enthusiast.
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 22:14:04 »
it has such a regal look

Offline Iksion

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 05:08:14 »
Very unusual and very cool! :thumb: Interested!!!
KBD75v1 | Kira | Melody96 | TX75v2 | TX-CP | hbcp | Keycult No.2 rev.1 | NK65 | Duck Octagon v3 | Percent Volt | TX65v2 | KY-01 | Sunsetter | Mr. Suit | J-01 | Dolphin 2021 | Phase One 65 | KBD8x Mark ii

Offline TPT

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 14:19:24 »
This with a copper option and ISO support and I'll buy three!

Offline baoduy23

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 04:10:11 »
I suggest you make the logo smaller :)

Offline child

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 05:13:23 »
I suggest you make the logo smaller :)

+1

Offline Glychd

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 05:30:14 »
Really nice design. I'd love to see a white and black option if you're going to be doing more colorways.

Offline Arezok

• Formerly pbplyr38
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 17:35:40 »
YIKES this looks really nice. I love the separated key clusters and the accent plate and even the separated ESC key. The only criticism I have is that the logo is kind of tacky looking to me, I'd rather have an extra key in that space.

I'm glad you like it!  The front logo was thrown in as a placeholder and will be revised to be more subtle or will be removed in its entirety.

That's great! I'm not keen on metal plates, so I'm glad it'll have the option to have different materials.

Any plans on specific layout support e.g. ISO? If you're not willing to have it in the default plate (which is totally fair enough), you can offer it in the PCB, and release plate files for people to get their own cut.  ;)

That's definitely going to be a question on the interest check form I'll be posting in the next few days!

May I suggest looking into 7V or Chimera65 and use a similar blocker spacing?
I think the 0.25U spacing around arrow cluster leads to a cleaner look.

Logo advice:
I'm not opposed to the logo being there but I think a slightly smaller size will appear more tasteful rather than tacky

Looking forward to the GB if it goes through! I really love these Mini-1800 layouts as I'm a fan of the separated arrow cluster.
Gasket or burger mount will be a bonus!

I appreciate the input -- I actually drew inspiration from both of those boards! I found that it was difficult to combine the border with the 0.25u separation.  It either felt like the border was so thick that it was overwhelming or it was so thin that it was pointless to even have.  The corner logo is definitely going to be updated or removed though.

Looks very nice! I’d be interested  ;D

Not so much a fan of the pushed out Esc, but it’s not a deal-breaker for me.

As long as it’s QMK programmable so I can get my `~ back (extremely necessary for web developers) it looks great!

The plan is to provide QMK compatibility and split backspace support to give back the key I wrongfully took from web developers.

Really nice design. I'd love to see a white and black option if you're going to be doing more colorways.

Definitely planning more colorways depending on the outcome of the interest check!

Offline Arezok

• Formerly pbplyr38
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 15:36:07 »
I've posted the interest check form in the OP. 

Here it is:  https://forms.gle/dJC1Aw7GTef5uPHt7

Offline Jade

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 22:32:57 »
Any chance for a hotswap pcb?

Offline Arezok

• Formerly pbplyr38
Re: [IC] OIL-68 (3/28/20 - Updated Layout)
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 28 March 2020, 01:59:56 »
I've been working on this since I posted the initial interest check to clean up the design and internals.  I received the proto-prototype early last week and everything fit together, more or less, like I wanted.  I've been playing with it for the past week to dial in the tolerances and test plate mounting points for the next revision.

Listening to everyone's feedback, two things were very obvious to me:

1) People disliked the size/tackiness of the logo in the upper right.
2) Given the option, people still wanted something in the corner, whether that was a logo/badge or another key.

Because of this, I revised the corner badge to something that I personally found to be more aesthetically pleasing. This freed up enough space in the upper right that I also decided to add an extra key to the right cluster, changing this from a 67 key to a 68 key layout.

In addition to this change, I've added split backspace and stepped caps lock support, added a centered USB port, included switch plate relief cutouts, and cleaned up a lot of the interior of the case.

I posted an updated interest check link to see how many people desired a hotswap option here: https://forms.gle/JnryR9ewp8j15sy98
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 March 2020, 08:03:26 by pbplyr38 »

Offline danieljgrouse

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 28 March 2020, 03:47:17 »
I absolutely love the updated design. It looks amazing. Good job!

Offline MyManMart

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 29 March 2020, 22:45:17 »

Offline Glychd

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 03:03:10 »
If this comes in a hotswap white and black version it's an autobuy from me. Looks awesome.

Offline chowbabyloving

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 11:08:33 »
Is the back weight an infinity? It also looks a bit like a bikini top

Offline Pach

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 14:10:05 »
very nice, the accent plate makes the board stand out. The bottom weight looks a little out of place to me, I'd like to see it more like the "infinity" symbols on the plate. Dunno, maybe a rectangular weight with engraving.