Author Topic: [IC] GMK Mecha-01 - Project Mecha-0X GB Live!  (Read 277404 times)

Offline FU11.META1

Re: [IC] GMK Kaijū
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 00:29:19 »
Those alt alphas oh lawdy
Really like the direction you're taking the set based on feedback while staying true to the initial design idea  :thumb:

Since this is my first set and these are uncharted waters for me, I want to make sure everything is perfect and I can only do that thanks to everyone's feedback and constructive criticism.

Thanks everyone, :thumb: I suck at taking compliments so here's some more quick renders:

Example of full awakened set, thinking it would be sold as a separate alpha and mod kit similar to GMK Laser Gaijin and Blocknet:

Regular alphas with awakened mods:

Thinking about going a shade brighter on the grey. 2B can still look pretty dark in poor lighting:
PANTONE Cool Gray 11 C/GMK 2B/PANTONE Cool Gray 8 C

2B

Cool Gray 8 C

In the process of coming up with a new better fitting name for the set. Feel free to leave suggestions.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 May 2019, 00:55:45 by FU11.META1 »

Offline elguey

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 08:48:47 »
100% in for full awakened. Looks so damn good.

Offline Uleet

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 09:11:16 »
FU11, fantastic job man! Are there any other sets with similar contrast on gray that we can use as reference?

Offline monkt

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 11:05:03 »
Fully Awakened for the win. Was on the fence until I saw that new all purple render. If that’s on the menu, I will be taking it, please.

Offline fabijolo

• I like expensive plastic.
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 13:00:56 »
I think the name kaijū is perfectly fine! + I think that the darker grey tones look way more fitting with the other colours in the set than the lighter grey.

(Edit: the only thing that would maybe make the new kaijū more fitting/more logic to other people is probably when the novelties are finally ther+have some connection to the name)

Offline kolyz

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 16:23:28 »
Full awakened and Cool Gray 8C are the way to go if you ask me!  :eek:

Offline megaforce

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 16:25:40 »
those mods are giga nut
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 17:19:27 »
those mods are giga nut

Resonating with this statement as well

Offline Hisui

• Team Yeen
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 17:44:56 »
Never watched Eva. I was a big fan of the Kaiju approach. Eva doesnt own purple/green. Theres plenty of themes people could shout at you. The joker, hulk, riddler, prowler, greengoblin, puffy ami yumi, kang the conqueror, lex luthor, piccolo, aries Shion etc. I think Eva just comes to mind for most right now because there was an IC for it before. I think you should hold onto your original Inspiration.

I love this set and love the colors, but I'd probably only be in if for the monsters XD

Offline FU11.META1

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 20:59:12 »

those mods are giga nut

Fully Awakened for the win. Was on the fence until I saw that new all purple render. If that’s on the menu, I will be taking it, please.

those mods are giga nut

I can't promise anything right now, but I will try my best to make it happen. If I add an extra alpha and mod kit I will be looking at a total of 7 kits, only Massdrop would run a set with that many kits and the likeliness of someone like me without a name for themselves to get Massdrop as a vendor is less likely. It happened with Red Samurai so it is possible. If by the grace of the gods I can raise enough interest I would like to go this route. 

The other solution would be rearranging the kits by merging the numpad with the base kit driving up the price a bit and doing just an alpha kit or an accent kit. I might be able to find small vendors willing to run a 5 kit set.

Never watched Eva. I was a big fan of the Kaiju approach. Eva doesnt own purple/green. Theres plenty of themes people could shout at you. The joker, hulk, riddler, prowler, greengoblin, puffy ami yumi, kang the conqueror, lex luthor, piccolo, aries Shion etc. I think Eva just comes to mind for most right now because there was an IC for it before. I think you should hold onto your original Inspiration.

I love this set and love the colors, but I'd probably only be in if for the monsters XD

I don't want to give the impression that I am changing the name and theme because people want me to. I want to change the name because I don't think Kaiju is the first thing that comes to mind when they see the set, if you actually had watched EVA and enjoyed it you might get a similar feeling. Yeah there is a lot of themes that hit the colors but not many that fit the hiragana caps which are a favorite of mine, at this point I have changed the inspiration for the set and have now matched the purple to EVA 01.

The thing is I'm more than happy to change the theme because I personally love EVA, some people make the claim that it saved anime in the 90s and brought a whole new dimension to the genre. If you enjoy anime at all I highly recommend it.

I also think someone else down the line could make a Kaiju set that actually hits the theme better.

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 21:28:55 »

I think you need to watch EVA already because that comes to mind before anything else in your list

Offline Hisui

• Team Yeen
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 22:11:01 »

I think you need to watch EVA already because that comes to mind before anything else in your list

Oh I know what eva is, just wasnt cup of anime. I hear it gets better so I may watch it in the future if my boyfriend forces me, but for now... XD

Offline Uleet

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 22:12:58 »

those mods are giga nut

those mods are giga nut

I can't promise anything right now, but I will try my best to make it happen. If I add an extra alpha and mod kit I will be looking at a total of 7 kits, only Massdrop would run a set with that many kits and the likeliness of someone like me without a name for themselves to get Massdrop as a vendor is less likely. It happened with Red Samurai so it is possible. If by the grace of the gods I can raise enough interest I would like to go this route. 

The other solution would be rearranging the kits by merging the numpad with the base kit driving up the price a bit and doing just an alpha kit or an accent kit. I might be able to find small vendors willing to run a 5 kit set.

I don't want to give the impression that I am changing the name and theme because people want me to. I want to change the name because I don't think Kaiju is the first thing that comes to mind when they see the set, if you actually had watched EVA and enjoyed it you might get a similar feeling. Yeah there is a lot of themes that hit the colors but not many that fit the hiragana caps which are a favorite of mine, at this point I have changed the inspiration for the set and have now matched the purple to EVA 01.

The thing is I'm more than happy to change the theme because I personally love EVA, some people make the claim that it saved anime in the 90s and brought a whole new dimension to the genre. If you enjoy anime at all I highly recommend it.

I also think someone else down the line could make a Kaiju set that actually hits the theme better.

I love EVA and I feel that just changing the name to GMK EVA 01 or something along those lines it will gain more popularity as well, since a lot of the colorways for artisans are also named this. And it also opens the door to an EVA 02 themed set. Have you tried doing normal alphas on the set and maybe full Hiragana on the Awakened alpha's?

Offline Hisui

• Team Yeen
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 22:17:24 »

those mods are giga nut

those mods are giga nut

Makes sense! Im gonna keep an eye on this set and see how it evolves. Im looking forward to seeing the novelties! :3

Offline FU11.META1

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 22:35:01 »
I love EVA and I feel that just changing the name to GMK EVA 01 or something along those lines it will gain more popularity as well, since a lot of the colorways for artisans are also named this. And it also opens the door to an EVA 02 themed set. Have you tried doing normal alphas on the set and maybe full Hiragana on the Awakened alpha's?

I like the way your thinking but I need to be careful with licensing issues. The Japanese can be very protective of their IPs. See Nintendo.

Most likely will not be doing a normal alpha set for this, it just doesn't really make sense. Definitely toying around with the idea of the Awakened alphas being full hira though, but it will be a little while before I have enough time to sit down and make a render for them.

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 23:55:45 »
Been watching this set, but wasnt sure until revisiting. I think this set looks amazing, and that's from someone who has never/never thought he would ever consider buying a hiragana set. But this set is perfect, and its ****ing Evangelion, of coure hiragana is okay! I'm no color genius or anything but I wanted to voice that I personally preferred the Old Violet C, I thought the darker purple blended in better with the dark mods and the whole neon green on dark aesthetic (Windows hacker theme) I also think the darker Violet C was more appealing on the alphas. 
I also really liked the 2B Gray and would be really interested in seeing a render with that Grey and the Old Violet. I feel like the new lighter Grey, while being very nice, is changing the initial feeling I got from the set of it being like a dark sort of terminal in a mech suit. If you look at the GMK color wheel, 2B is definitely not as dark as in your renders, no worries there. Not saying 2B is the perfect Grey, just saying I confidently prefer the renders with the darker grey. There are so many perfectly contrasting light grey sets out there already.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 May 2019, 00:18:39 by lakeboredom »

Offline Battouseye

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 11:10:01 »
I am a big fan of the bottom render.
Neon Gelatinous Evangelism is already doing that though

Can anyone confirm or deny if this set is still happening? Don't want to step on any toes but the sets are very different and the IC for that looks dead. Considering re-branding.

I would at least try to reach out to donutcat (he's been pretty inactive for awhile) -- it can't hurt. It sure looks like it's pretty much dead in the water though.

I wish sets this cool would be run in PBT, I cannot stand ABS

Also, donutcat's set looks absolutely nothing like this. You don't need his approval.

I will be trying to run this either way and I agree that I don't need approval for the colorway, more so I was wondering for the sake of not having 2 of the same themed sets running at similar times.

I was open to running this through epbt but I was informed that they don't have the molds for a lot of popular 40% keys, and I'm a bit of a 40% fanatic so it's kind of a deal breaker for me.

That being said, thank you all for the positive and constructive feedback. I have learned a lot over the weekend and taken in all the comments here and in the IC form so far and I will be making some pretty big revisions to the set:

UPDATE 01:

-GMK Kaijū is now pending it's name, while I do have a strong connection to this subject and name, its been blasted into my ear about how much this reminds them of a certain anime and I certainly agree and that was somewhat on purpose. Since there doesn't seem to be any issue within the community that this be an EVA 01 themed set, I would like to lean harder into this theme and separate the project from the name and specific theme of Kaijū. I intend to give the community the NGE themed set it deserves as I am a big fan of classic anime and it is already a favorite of mine.

-Over the weekend I have been dialing in my renders to try and show more accurate colors and lighting conditions to give a better idea of how the set will look in reality as opposed to how a computer program wants it to look. I found out that the colors in my renders have been over saturated, too bright and poorly lit as the highlight were on the side of the cap not the top. I agree with the comments that the grey and violet I chose may make the text illegible or muddy. I made some new renders using a brighter purple Pantone that will match closer to EVA 01 and the lighter grey GMK 2B. Examples and comparison to old set will be below. These still probably are not 100% accurate but I'm trying to improve my render skills every day. Let me know what you think!

-When I first made the set my main intention was just to make a cool looking set I would like to see on my keyboards. I was not aware of how GMK does their kit pricing based off the number of colors in kits, therefore I will need to make some big adjustments mainly to the base kit in order to keep the price down. I am proposing a different accent key that uses purple and green. There will be an example below. However since people really like the original accent keys that are reminiscent of EVA 01's awakened form, I would like to propose an extra kit that includes the purple and red accent keys and possibly alternate alphas in the same color. Below will be an example of both.

Old Color/New Color
PANTONE Violet C/PANTONE 267 C
Show Image

PANTONE Cool Gray 11 C/GMK 2B according to keyboard-layout-editor.com
Show Image

Old Colors
Show Image

New Colors
Show Image

Purple/Green Accents
Show Image

Show Image

Awakened Alphas With New Colors
Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

Offline FU11.META1

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 14:50:19 »
Been watching this set, but wasnt sure until revisiting. I think this set looks amazing, and that's from someone who has never/never thought he would ever consider buying a hiragana set. But this set is perfect, and its ****ing Evangelion, of coure hiragana is okay! I'm no color genius or anything but I wanted to voice that I personally preferred the Old Violet C, I thought the darker purple blended in better with the dark mods and the whole neon green on dark aesthetic (Windows hacker theme) I also think the darker Violet C was more appealing on the alphas. 
I also really liked the 2B Gray and would be really interested in seeing a render with that Grey and the Old Violet. I feel like the new lighter Grey, while being very nice, is changing the initial feeling I got from the set of it being like a dark sort of terminal in a mech suit. If you look at the GMK color wheel, 2B is definitely not as dark as in your renders, no worries there. Not saying 2B is the perfect Grey, just saying I confidently prefer the renders with the darker grey. There are so many perfectly contrasting light grey sets out there already.

Wow thanks for the compliment glad I could possibly convert you to the dark side. >:D I think you might be right about the 2B, I was able to get a really nice picture of a 2B sample and I'm more confident now that it's not too dark. I was trying to make my renders show what it would look like in indoor lighting so that's why they look darker. Plus it's a stock color so the price will be better. The Violet I'm not too sure about, the pantone in real life is really dark and I worry about the purple legends getting lost, its a pretty color but almost blueish in less light. Im going to order a pantone of the other purple to make sure. I'll make a render later tonight to show you Violet 2B combo.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 May 2019, 14:59:24 by FU11.META1 »

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 16:32:08 »
Hey that be awesome and thanks so much for taking mine and other people's feedback as well as all the work you're doing for the alternate sets really really really cool. You're probably right about the purple it would suck if it came out too dark. We should totally buy a evangelion model and send it to gmk for color matching

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 17:23:43 »
Curious - why are there 2 - 1u shifts in the 40's kit?

Offline NAV

• Formerly A_Vicarious_Death
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 19:35:50 »
Love this

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 22:55:30 »
Love this
I don't like hiragana (but I understand), and I don't like icon mods, but I like this theme and the colors.
I'm in for full awakened and the gray alphas.

Offline FU11.META1

« Reply #72 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 01:45:15 »
Hey that be awesome and thanks so much for taking mine and other people's feedback as well as all the work you're doing for the alternate sets really really really cool. You're probably right about the purple it would suck if it came out too dark. We should totally buy a evangelion model and send it to gmk for color matching

No problem, Im new here so Im not really sure how these things are supposed to go.  ;) Just figure everyone should have their voice heard especially if they are interested in throwing down for some fancy plastic.

Sending them a model would sure be a lot easier, but not as fun for me.

2B Violet

2B  267 C

Curious - why are there 2 - 1u shifts in the 40's kit?
Some ortho users like shift on each side.

Big update coming to the main post soon, pretty solid on my color choices now just need to get the new kits ready.

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #73 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 03:33:55 »
Oh I like that render. The violet c personally does it for me. It's the prefect alien purple.

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #74 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 09:37:08 »
Nice renders.  :thumb:

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 04 May 2019, 04:59:06 »
Oh I like that render. The violet c personally does it for me. It's the prefect alien purple.

Newer purple is def closer to EVA 01 tho.. God I really like this keyset.
Edit, 268C seems pretty promising
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 May 2019, 05:01:47 by lakeboredom »

Offline slxdegrees

• Nerds With Keebs
    • Donate to Room To Read!
« Reply #76 on: Sun, 05 May 2019, 07:02:24 »
+1 for violet c as well. 267c doesn't seem to provide as much contrast for the alphas.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline Uleet

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 05 May 2019, 22:23:26 »
I agree with the others, C looks better!

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #78 on: Sun, 05 May 2019, 22:28:04 »
Violet c gets my vote as well :p

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #79 on: Sun, 05 May 2019, 23:01:20 »
Check out 268C as well guys. that looks pretty promising, found that one on a pantone page specifically for Evangelion.

Offline FU11.META1

Re: [IC] GMK Unit-01 (Formerly GMK Kaijū)
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 07:10:35 »
UPDATE 02:

Huge update to the set:
-Name and theme change
-Colors finalized
-Rearranged kits
-Added Awakened Alpha kit
-Better ISO support
-1.25 r3 added to 40 Split kit
-Novelty render
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 May 2019, 07:16:34 by FU11.META1 »

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 09:00:52 »
This is a big update.
Nice.  :thumb: :thumb:

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #82 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 09:29:38 »
>Unit 01
>Mostly purple with neon green highlights + orange spots here & there.
>This set, being renamed Unit 01
>Mostly gray with neon green highlights + purple spots here & there

Am I the crazy one here? Is this not an obvious mismatch?

« Last Edit: Mon, 06 May 2019, 09:53:23 by nguyenhimself »

Offline zizard

« Reply #83 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 09:50:34 »
Green on purple is the obvious choice but he probably wanted to avoid Neon Gelatin Evangelism https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=94227.0

Offline zekkin

• my entire life was unlimited zekk works
« Reply #84 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 10:19:41 »
Please consider not doing icon bottom row.

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 10:21:36 »
eva-01 pseudo-evolution

Offline dragon564738

« Reply #86 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 11:22:38 »
Any idea if we could get those tilde shaped arrow keys instead of the arrows? IMO would fit better with the icon mods. If not, are arrows going to be on center? They aren't centered in the image gallery.

Great set and I'm looking forwards to the gb!

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 12:53:29 »
This set is growing on me, and I love all icons fwiw.

Offline Anaconda

« Reply #88 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 13:17:54 »
>Unit 01

Show Image

Show Image

I have to agree this set looks nothing like unit-01.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #89 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 13:31:28 »
if the alphas were a more vibrant purple they wouldn't clash as much with the mods imo

Offline SolidCactus

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 15:51:19 »
>Unit 01

Show Image

Show Image

I have to agree this set looks nothing like unit-01.

I have too agree with these two posters. I don't feel like this set has anything to do with Unit-01.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 16:37:16 »
Nice set. I'd get it. I'd get the extras too. All the extra alphas and mods. I'd get em all.

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 17:20:24 »
I agree with the others, C looks better!

Violet c gets my vote as well :p

+1 for violet c as well. 267c doesn't seem to provide as much contrast for the alphas.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

UPDATE 02:

Huge update to the set:
-Name and theme change
-Colors finalized
-Rearranged kits
-Added Awakened Alpha kit
-Better ISO support
-1.25 r3 added to 40 Split kit
-Novelty render

Guys please check out 268C as well. I believe this may be a strong contender. Not as violet as Violet C, but not as light purple as the other suggested purple. I really didn't mean to push Violet C as the endgame. I think we still need more renders to compare. Please please try 268C as well.

Offline rondg

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 18:17:03 »
Funny that when this was called kaiju I had no interest in it but now with the name change, I am totally interested...

Offline Pluto19

• All who break the taboo will be eliminated.
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 18:22:37 »
>Unit-01
>This set, being renamed Unit-01

Show Image

Show Image

I have to agree this set looks nothing like Unit-01.

I have to agree with these two posters. I don't feel like this set has anything to do with Unit-01.

I have to agree with these three posters. I don't feel like this set has anything to do with Unit-01.

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 20:35:04 »
>Unit-01

Show Image

Show Image

I have to agree with these two posters. I don't feel like this set has anything to do with Unit-01.

I have to agree with these three posters. I don't feel like this set has anything to do with Unit-01.
But if there was a keyboard inside of the Eva... It would absolutely look like this.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 20:43:11 »
>Unit-01

Show Image

Show Image

But if there was a keyboard inside of the Eva... It would absolutely look like this.

no it'd be orange and holographic
I love Elzy

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #97 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 22:27:29 »
>Unit-01

Show Image

Show Image

Unlikely so
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 May 2019, 22:30:17 by nguyenhimself »

Offline jortzii

« Reply #98 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 22:57:46 »
I'm interested. Hopefully for late in the year or next year as right now there's a lot going on lol
Volcano660 | Satisfaction75 | Think6.5 | TGR Jane V2 CE | Preonic | IC Kira | Drop ALT

Offline FinalEleven

« Reply #99 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 23:14:04 »
I'd be in for the awakened set. That really caught my eye.