Author Topic: Microwaves: What's Hot? (Need Recomendations)  (Read 9335 times)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Microwaves: What's Hot? (Need Recomendations)
« on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 14:47:31 »
So I almost killed my microwave the other day (I think it overheated and just died until it cooled off.) and need some recommendations on a new one as this one could go out any day now.
I've had it for ~4 years and it gets used quite often, at least a few times a week.
Most of the use is reheating (things like pizza or other leftovers) with the occasional cooking of a microwave steam in bag vegetable or an all in one thing of mashed potatoes and/or a microwave dinner entree (like friend rice or meatloaf if someone's in a hurry).

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Microwaves: What's Hot? (Need Recomendations)
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 18:43:17 »
Don't buy the cheapest or the most expensive.
Done.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 19:04:39 »
Not exactly high tech..

Really just comes down to component cost.  If the manufacturer is too Greedy, well, Xplodz..

Not sure you can tell it's good until you buy it and crack it open.

Offline JP

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 19:20:16 »
Make sure you have your new microwave calibrated for optimal cooking efficiency  :thumb: For xpert calibration consider energy output at every power level and calibration curves of different water masses heated for different periods of time.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 May 2019, 19:26:14 by JP »
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 19:35:43 »
Make sure you have your new microwave calibrated for optimal cooking efficiency  :thumb: For xpert calibration consider energy output at every power level and calibration curves of different water masses heated for different periods of time.

I'mma google this right now. !!!!

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 19:41:57 »
I would think that microwave ovens wouldn't be much different in how they cook food. Some have grilling elements as well: which is great for pizza but which I have not found any other use for.

Then the deciding difference should be how they are to use. Even a brand with a good reputation for quality can fudge this up in a new model.
Is there a store where you can try them out? Check that the tray is circular and rotates, is large enough for your plate, is easily removable and is easy to clean. Check that the controls are easy to understand and use.
Physical dials is usually a good sign. A start-button that adds 30 seconds to the clock each time it is pressed is great. Can you stop and start again, without it forgetting the power setting?

What is the standard power level that is common for cooking instructions on prepackaged food you buy? Get a microwave oven that has that power level as a setting and you won't have to fiddle with different power levels during cooking.
(You'd think that food companies and microwave companies would standardise on this, but they haven't)
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 May 2019, 19:45:15 by Findecanor »

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 20:34:07 »
Panasonic TheGenius ones.

They're great!